theultrastar
Posted: Friday, January 16, 2015 6:02:08 PM
Groups: Member

Thanks for the kind words Signer J!
SignerJ
Posted: Friday, January 16, 2015 6:57:19 PM

pegolego wrote:
These also offer the opportunity for those who enjoy customizing stats to pop in on jawajuice.boards.net and chime in during the design process, giving their feedback and ideas. You can also pick what you like to playtest and report your findings and suggestions that result, while interacting with designers and others interested in the process of the sets as we design.

I didn't realize Jawajuice was open to all. Are you saying that non-designers are allowed to comment in the design threads? If so, that would be awesome!

(Oh, and for the record, I've always been a big fan of having publicly visible design threads. It's something else I like about the TN sets.)
theultrastar
Posted: Friday, January 16, 2015 7:02:27 PM

Yes it's open for anyone to come in and comment. We're not trying to keep anything we're doing secret. I just do not believe in promoting a different website here on bloo.
Mando
Posted: Friday, January 16, 2015 9:37:32 PM

I think the Custom sets and the V-sets can and should coincide. I do appreciate playing both the V-sets and the Custom sets made by a good group of players. I've been playing this game for a long time, and its refreshing to try new styles of play that bring back older pieces into use. For example, one of my favorite pieces is the Nute Gunray from Legends. It makes the old Destroyer droids competitive, and the piece is flavorful and well made. The peices in the V-sets are well made to, and it took lots of hard work to make them. The V-sets are the official release and continuation of the game, but that doesn't mean that these custom sets are any less important or impressive. These custom sets took a lot of effort and playtesting also. I view it as a different format of the game (kinda like the epics game format which has certain rules restrictions and its own cards), and I enjoy playing star wars mini's with both the Custom sets and the V-sets.

Now I'm going to go on a bit of a rant, but please hear me out. I would like to not see a divide in the community over this. I read a comment earlier that seemed quite hostile to the V-set designers, and that was completely uncalled for. Some people have issues with some V-set pieces, but wasn't that the case with the WotC pieces to? It doesn't mean the whole game was bad, it just meant that sometimes people had to make a decision to ban certain pieces from being played. GOWK was a good example of this back when he first came out. He was so impossible to kill that he had SSM errata'd. People had problems with Daala, and maybe that is what drove some people away from the game. But look at the fine example that the NZ players have set. They just decided as a group to not allow her in tournaments til a future time. And that is what is good about this game community! No one is saying that you all need to play the same way or stick to using all the pieces. The V-set designers are absolutely fine with the NZ players not wanting to play Daala, cause they understand that she is a major NPE and isn't fitting the kind of play style a lot of the players over there like to play. I personally, just took all the talk about how OP Daala was as a challenge for myself to find creative ways to counter her in a competitive way that can also deal with other good squads, and I had fun designing squads to do just that.

I appreciate what both design teams of the V-sets and the Custom sets are doing. They are both fun and its a good thing for the game. I encourage people to play both, instead of picking a side and being dogmatic about it. I think the inclusion of the V-set All-stars is a indication of the respect that the Tennessee group has for the V-sets. Lets not ruin this games future by making a huge rift right now in the community. We all love this game. I am very proud to be a part of this community of players. We have a lot of good people who play this game! And this game can be enjoyed in all formats. Can't wait for this tournament to get started! Major props to Bronson for getting this thing organized. ThumpUp
Darth_Jim
Posted: Friday, January 16, 2015 9:58:47 PM

Deaths_Baine wrote:
you know, I just listened to the SHNN 1/8/15 and I believe there is an underlying tone of cynicism from the host and the others I heard on the show about the veterans of war release.

here is an idea for you haters--- sign up, win the league, get 300 dollars for winning, and then put the money towards the dying v-sets. heck if you clean house its like $475 you can guys can use to keep your own version going, shouldn't be such a tall task for the v-set designers since they are the best players in the game.

Well, I AM the host of SHNN and I'd like to know what specifically you mean by cynicism. I am happy to promote and report on this event whether I participate in it or not, because it is putting people in seats playing SWM. Is there something I got wrong? One of my best friends in this game Thereisnotry participated last year. I had several conversations with Bronson on this and between talking to both him and Trevor I got behind it. I still am behind it. The only hater I see here is you...so if you have an issue with anything I said on the show, lets be specific and share it.
Dr Daman
Posted: Friday, January 16, 2015 10:36:06 PM

Darth_Jim wrote:
Deaths_Baine wrote:
you know, I just listened to the SHNN 1/8/15 and I believe there is an underlying tone of cynicism from the host and the others I heard on the show about the veterans of war release.

here is an idea for you haters--- sign up, win the league, get 300 dollars for winning, and then put the money towards the dying v-sets. heck if you clean house its like $475 you can guys can use to keep your own version going, shouldn't be such a tall task for the v-set designers since they are the best players in the game.

Well, I AM the host of SHNN and I'd like to know what specifically you mean by cynicism. I am happy to promote and report on this event whether I participate in it or not, because it is putting people in seats playing SWM. Is there something I got wrong? One of my best friends in this game Thereisnotry participated last year. I had several conversations with Bronson on this and between talking to both him and Trevor I got behind it. I still am behind it. The only hater I see here is you...so if you have an issue with anything I said on the show, lets be specific and share it.

Good on ya Jim. I don't think anybody in this community would be bagging any form of SWM. As Deaths_Baine put it, this is a dying game so why would someone alienate any part of its community? This is why we need everyone to promote it in which ever way they can! I see it like the great Coke vs Pepsi war. Some like Coke. Some like Pepsi. Heck some like both. For me I like both formats as it enables me to play SWM as often as I can (even though the NZ calender is SUPER full). NZ (Save 11) will ALWAYS back the V-sets as that's what we like as a group and that's what works for us but that doesn't mean that some of us wont dip our toes in the TN format. I encourage all of you to have a look at the TN stuff. You may not like it, and that's perfectly fine, but you just might find something you like.

Let's keep this civil ThumpUp

Viva La SWM Community! BlooMilk
Minijedi
Posted: Saturday, January 17, 2015 1:21:44 AM

I believe that the game should live on in just about any way possible lol, and Mando said it pretty well, we are all minis players here, we should not divide ourselves because some of us like to play empire and some like rebels, you know?? if you don't really like to TN format, then don't play it, and yes, some of the vset pieces did get pretty op for certain scenarios, heck some of the WotC pieces were pretty broken, but hasn't the challenge of the game always been to find a way to either kill these broken pieces, or make your squad somehow work with only 4 guys?? On a more sideish note, I would be very interested in possibly becoming a player in the design/testing process... and i understand that some of my abilities are kind of over the top and stuff, but they are still good ideas, and maybe if some of you guys help me out, we can balance them to make some fun new pieces for the community to use
DarkDracul
Posted: Saturday, January 17, 2015 1:58:23 AM

Deaths_Baine wrote:

Perhaps someone who is involved and knows the TN format should call into the SHNN. My impression as a regular caller is that the guys are positive to players in the TN format but they don't have much to say about it themselves. Personally, I call the SHNN because I want to talk about SWM as hosted by Gamers. The guys talk about; sports, personal life, x-wing, imperial assault, the TN format...stuff I don't care to talk about. Jim continually brings up the TN format and supports it, but I have as much to say about it as I do x-wing. nada
SithBot
Posted: Saturday, January 17, 2015 5:29:05 AM

Put me on the list man. Sorry I was not able to Play test as much as I desired. Life can kick you in the face. Anyhow, ready to get down and beat down ThumpUp

Darth_Jim
Posted: Saturday, January 17, 2015 6:51:21 AM

Dr Daman put it pretty well, I think. And I consider him to be more of an authority, since he's actually enjoyed both 'Coke and Pepsi'. What I don't like about the format is that there are pieces excluded from it. However, that is EXACTLY what draws others to it...some of those pieces are buzz kills for them. Bronson has created something to keep those people engaged and I applaud him for it. If that's what you want to play, great. And I mean that...you're playing. I'll report on it. If you don't like that format, well, you have the regionals and GenCon. I'll report on that too. I'd like to repeat my request, however...I'd like to know what I said that elicited this remark. I'm not above misspeaking or not getting something right. If that's the case, I'd like to know about it and correct it. However, I think I've been very open minded about this whole format since Bronson explained to me personally his goals for it. I believe him and I believe in this format. I don't believe in haters and I don't like being called a 'cynic'.

I have offered to have Bronson on the show. He was unable to before, but I told him that it is an open invitation. It's ok if he doesn't...he doesn't have to 'explain' anything to make this a valid and fun format.

Deaths_Baine
Posted: Saturday, January 17, 2015 7:33:36 AM

Darth_Jim wrote:
Dr Daman put it pretty well, I think. And I consider him to be more of an authority, since he's actually enjoyed both 'Coke and Pepsi'. What I don't like about the format is that there are pieces excluded from it. However, that is EXACTLY what draws others to it...some of those pieces are buzz kills for them. Bronson has created something to keep those people engaged and I applaud him for it. If that's what you want to play, great. And I mean that...you're playing. I'll report on it. If you don't like that format, well, you have the regionals and GenCon. I'll report on that too. I'd like to repeat my request, however...I'd like to know what I said that elicited this remark. I'm not above misspeaking or not getting something right. If that's the case, I'd like to know about it and correct it. However, I think I've been very open minded about this whole format since Bronson explained to me personally his goals for it. I believe him and I believe in this format. I don't believe in haters and I don't like being called a 'cynic'.

I have offered to have Bronson on the show. He was unable to before, but I told him that it is an open invitation. It's ok if he doesn't...he doesn't have to 'explain' anything to make this a valid and fun format.

if you want to call a 3 minute blip about how you are not going to read the rules, about how you are on page one of 3 and haven't looked at anything yet promotion that's cool. its the way you addressed the whole thing, not exactly what you said. its like the old saying its not what you say it's how you say it. if any v-set tournament offered this much prize support it would be a 20 minute discussion about how cool it is and how they are trying to generate buzz about minis, etc., legends gets 3 minutes and a yawn lol.

I understand though, that you really have no interest in trying to learn about the legends stuff yourself, nor does anyone else that was on the SHNN that day, and that is fine, I honestly think that most of the v-set designers believe we are trying to supplant them or something and that is why they won't even take a look, comment, or anything about legends, but we have no desire to print professional cards, or to undertake the herculean task of getting those cards to people in new Zealand and all over the world for that matter.

we simply lost interest in where the v-sets were going swarms-high act armies-death shots, etc. so we created this play style where 7-8 act squads are viable.

Edit*--- These are my own personal opinions and are not representative of everyone involved in the legends format. BigGrin don't want them included if this is not how they feel.
scruffyhan
Posted: Saturday, January 17, 2015 12:16:43 PM

Darth_Jim wrote:

I listen to the Podcast every week. I am probably the number 1 fan of the show. I especially enjoyed listening to the show when I unveiled my Zam Caught The Klat sqaud. Jim often times referred to me as the greatest player on the planet. A title that I have earned, but a title that is a heavy burden to carry. It's lonely at the top. Anyways, it was a good time, listening to everyone stroke my ego. If I get a shout out again Jim, just know that I will be listening and I will salute you and the fine gentlemen who are conversing with you, with a drink. Speaking of drinks I have a fun drinking game that I play each week, where I do a shot every time the guys on the show talk about something other than Star Wars. Needless to say I get hammered. I invite all of you reading this (Echo looking at you) to join me.

Jim you are a good guy in my book, and I would love to knock a few back. Watch my Giants stomp your Cowboys in a football game, and then let you buy me a steak. Maybe someday right? I think you generally want to be fair and balanced and it's a good goal to be sure, but much like Fox News you and your cohorts come off a little O'Reilly'ish. Which is not cool. Don't be a buzzkill. Clearly a lot of people enjoy this version of the game, so a little more coverage and effort could go a long way. Anyway that is just one humble fan's opinion of the show.

Jim Forever!
theultrastar
Posted: Saturday, January 17, 2015 12:59:30 PM

SithBot, welcome! I got you added! Hope you have a blast!
juice man
Posted: Saturday, January 17, 2015 3:16:09 PM

scruffyhan wrote:
I hate to admit this, but, whenever I see a scruffyhan post, it HAS to be read. Kind of like a Deon Sanders type effect.Confused Blushing
Deaths_Baine
Posted: Sunday, January 18, 2015 10:25:04 AM

last day to sign up. come on everybody jump in, it is a lot of fun.
Deaths_Baine
Posted: Sunday, January 18, 2015 1:03:32 PM

getting so excited can't wait to see how is paired in my league. spry i am coming for you.
sharron
Posted: Sunday, January 18, 2015 1:42:14 PM

Yo. I'm in.
theultrastar
Posted: Sunday, January 18, 2015 1:47:13 PM

Awesome! Got ya added!
darth_Nevar
Posted: Sunday, January 18, 2015 2:59:31 PM

Ok so I am really excited because I am going to be able to play after all!
theultrastar
Posted: Sunday, January 18, 2015 3:06:59 PM

Brendon it's good to have you involved again!