RegisterDonateLogin

Is your only hope.

Welcome Guest Active Topics | Members

Veterans of War, Vassal League Release! Options
pegolego
Posted: Tuesday, January 20, 2015 2:20:35 PM
Groups: Member

Just finished my game with Minijedi! I've played with him in the past, and while not much recently, I heard he's been improving greatly and was warned he was going to be one of my toughest matches during this tournament! He did not disappoint, and in the end a few rolls (inits, mostly) going the other way could have changed our game.

In the end, I won 216-93 in regulation time.

We played on his map (Spynet)

I played my squad:

The Rule of 2 Squared
Darth Maul, Instrument of Fear (Legends)
Durge, Gen'dai Hunter (Legends)
General Grievous, Hero of Hypori
Darth Sidious
Gamorrean Bodyguard (never have really run with them in base squads much, but had points and he ended up being quite useful!)
R7 Astromech Droid
Ugnaught Demolitionist x3
200 exactly.

Mj ran Legends Revan with Legends Bastila, Meetra Surik from VoW, good ol' Juhani, T3 (gotta have him!) and a Chadra/Uggie.

Round one we advanced, he took Revan to gambit with a Surprise Move. I was starting on the right and mostly filled the door to come out.

Round 2, I put 60 on Meetra with Durge early, but she healed 20 of it then moved to cover. I waited him out, with a bodyguard there to protect my big baddies, to see if he'd make a move with Revan, just in case. He moved everyone else up in to a nice protective huddle, but I have a certain Darth JUST for that situation Wink. Grievous moved up to set up for a big SBA move next round, and Maul moved up. Sid then pawned him. He moved in and had some fun (took 20 from AOOs from Revan) with LS Sweep. Dealt 20 to Revan, 40 to T3 (but Meetra saved 20 of it so he lived, because, well, he's T3), 40 to Meetra (Makashi saved both times) and damaged Juhani.

Round 3 I won init and had an 80 HP Maul left. Bastila healed most of the damage that had gone around, and I swept again. T3 died, Revan took some damage, Juhani was nearly killed but saved by a timely LS Throw Defense from Meetra. Bastila came and attacked Maul, as well as Meetra. Maul was left at 50 HP at the end of it. Then I pawned Maul and killed Juhani, brough Revan down a bit more, Bastila was left at 90 and Meetra saved some Makashi.

Then we realized that Mini had forgotten a +3 Attack bonus from the Revanchist, so we put 10 on Maul for a previous roll by Juhani that would have hit with the +3. Then I took a look at Juhani and remembered she had LS Duelist! So I reminded Mj of this and then remembered 2 attacks I took with Maul that would have missed with the +4 bonus, so we brought her back to life and restored 40 of her HP.

I then dropped a bodyguard in to support Maul, who still had 40 HP. He ended up with 20 left after the rest of Mj's pieces went on their tirades, with the bodyguard having 10 left.

Then Grievous rolls in and kills her for the 3rd time, sick of her defiance. Except he missed a roll and was left with 10 HP still... I believe he dealt 30 to the Exile, who Makashi saved the other attack. 30 to Bastila and whaled on Revan, who was dropped from 100 to 40.

Durge came in and, just to be safe (would have needed to roll 2 6s out of 3 rolls to kill Revan, due to him having Dark Master from Sidious, but Juhani and Bastila also took 40 this way), flamethrew the lot of them, killing Maul after all his noble efforts, as well as the bodyguard.

I won the next init as well and Meetra put 40 on Grievous, who failed both Makashi saves, as I let Mj make first move this time around. Then Grievous Spinning-Blade-Attacked her and Bastila. Bastila was dropped to 20, Meetra Makashi saved the damage and still had 60.

To take care of these issues, Sidious electrocuted Bastila, with just a taste of the Dark Side (to whet her appetite, of course BigGrin. Perhaps a future apprentice...?), and Durge let his blaster talk, because he didn't feel that the exiled Jedi scum was worth his breath. Upon the Exiles execution (I'd already eliminated his Uggie on an AOO from one of my own), all that was left to resist the Sith, Cyborg and Gen'dai was a helpless little hacker, a Chadra-Fan to be exact.
CorellianComedian
Posted: Tuesday, January 20, 2015 2:40:48 PM

Not to be a huge downer, but I thought you couldn't pawn uniques?
pegolego
Posted: Tuesday, January 20, 2015 2:46:59 PM

Darth Maul has the 'Pawn' ability, allowing Sidious to Pawn him Smile
theultrastar
Posted: Tuesday, January 20, 2015 2:51:43 PM

It was a pretty awesome game between Pego and Mini. They were in position a couple of times where had Mini won Init, Pego would have been in trouble. Pego played a pretty flawless game. Really looking forward to see what else you guys run. Mini I have never seen anyone that rolls saves as well as you do.
CorellianComedian
Posted: Tuesday, January 20, 2015 3:51:40 PM

pegolego wrote:

Blink Pardon my ignorance!

And that's really cool!
Minijedi
Posted: Tuesday, January 20, 2015 4:19:39 PM

yes a good game it was, I look forward to playing with pego in the future, and hearing about his other games in the league... and good luck to the other league players out there. Also, if i didnt roll saves as well as I do, I probably wouldn't play such a defensive squad lol (would be nice if i could roll some good inits and attacks too lol)
theultrastar
Posted: Tuesday, January 20, 2015 6:15:40 PM

CorellianComedian wrote:
pegolego wrote:

Blink Pardon my ignorance!

And that's really cool!

Check out the Maul, he is in the Legends set, look at all the cool interactions you can do with him and that Sidious.
And I agree, it's a pretty cool combo!
theultrastar
Posted: Tuesday, January 20, 2015 6:43:37 PM

I just played Matt Spry to kick off the Veterans of War leg of the League for myself, and what a great game it was. I told Spry prior to the game I was anticipating him running Mandos, and that's what I planned to face. Spry tried to play mind games saying that he was going to run something different but I called his bluff. When we unveiled squads Spry didn't disappoint. He dropped Mandos, and what a Mando squad it was.
Artus Lok from Legends, Rexutu from Veterans of war, Kelborn, Demagol, Mando Scout, Mando Captain, and I'm not sure what else. I dropped Darth Bane, Malgus, and Sith Emperor all from Legends. I ran 2 of the Dark Jedi, and some other filler. I think I had 13 acts, and I'm wanting to say Spry had 9. I could be wrong on the act count. Anyways I won map and ran the Rhen Var map, which I absolutely love for melee. It takes away the big shooting lanes from shooters, and keeps the fighting close which favors melee.
First round we move towards gambit. 2nd round Spry takes gambit with Artus Lok. I wait till he is activated, I then run Malgus and base his Mando Scout. I run in with Bane and base Lok. We start the next round, and I want to win this init, so I sacrifice the Dark Jedi, move the other Dark Jedi which is the Voice of The Emperor 6 with the Sith Emperors CE. I choose to go first. Spry Resolnare's away a bit. I Sith Sorcery and act Artus Lok, and I believe Rexutu. Spry kills the Dark Jedi with his Scout, but gives up an AoO to Malgus in the process. Malgus drops 40 on the scout. Spry then moves Demagol, and bases Bane. Demagol tries doing some Poison damage. He gets twin attack and makes both saves. I make two back to back saves of 16 here. My turn, I move Malgus, and Repulse, killing the Scout, an uggie, and one of his other Non Unique Mandos. Believe it was a Mando Demo. Not sure there. I act Bane and Sith Rage, I triple on Artus and land all 3 attacks. Lok makes some armor saves, and drops the damage down a bit. He lives with 20 hp. Kelborn bases Malgus and tries to attack, but Malgus negates most of the damage.
Next round I win init, I give up an AoO to Kelborn, I negate his dmg down with Force Attuned Armor. I Sith Rage 2 with the Emperor and then I lightsaber Throw 2 with him and try to take out Demagol. I miss both of my attacks. Don't do any dmg. He uses Artus, and attacks Bane. does 50 in total. I refuse to reroll my failed Dark Armor saves here. I'm saving the Points to reroll the Poison save on Demagol. Demagol is up next and he goes. He rolls a 1 and misses, twin attack, he hits, I make the poison save... 16. Get it! I dark armor the damage down to nada. Now it's my go, Bane finishes off Artus Lok, and I put 40 on Kelborn. Spry counter pushes Bane. I act Sith Emperor to get his force points back up. Spry goes and uses Kelborn to base Malgus, he misses a bunch of attacks, and I Force Attuned Armor his dmg down. I move in a mouse at the end to set up the next round so I can move Bane or Malgus with Emperors CE. Spry calls game.
I win 2pts.

Really evenly matched game. I got some good rolls go my way, like three saves of 16 that I made without having to reroll. I call it payback for all the games me and Spry play where I cannot roll to save my life. Mandos are a real force and are not to be taken lightly I am here to tell all of you. Very playable! Demagol, and Artus Lok combo is monsterous! Thanks to Spry for being such a good sport! I had a blast, I'm sure we'll meet up again.
theultrastar
Posted: Tuesday, January 20, 2015 6:49:39 PM

I also wanted to make a quick correction. I originally posted that the winners of each division are the only teams that get to play in the playoffs for the cash. That was a mistake on my behalf. It's the 4 Divisional Winners, and then there are 2 wildcard teams that get a shot. The wild card spots go to the team with the best records after the 4 divisional champions. The two players ranked the highest get a bye, and play the winners of the wild card round in the semi finals. Once again, that was a mistake on my behalf thanks to Trevor Cook for pointing that out to me.
jen'ari
Posted: Tuesday, January 20, 2015 10:24:52 PM

Love the 2 wild card idea. Some good play from Separatists and Sith. Dark side flourishes
theultrastar
Posted: Tuesday, January 20, 2015 10:45:00 PM

2 Wildcard was all Trevor, and it came in at the end. Which is why the detail slipped through the crack on the initial unveiling of the 4 Divisions.
Darth O
Posted: Wednesday, January 21, 2015 2:08:06 PM

To my dear opponents,
I am going away from Friday through Wednesday, so the earliest I can play is the 29th.
Love,
Darth O
pegolego
Posted: Wednesday, January 21, 2015 5:43:52 PM

Darth O wrote:
To my dear opponents,
I am going away from Friday through Wednesday, so the earliest I can play is the 29th.
Love,
Darth O

Wub LUV U 2 Heart Crying

Hurry back, baby!

He called me 'dear'! Woot
Mando
Posted: Wednesday, January 21, 2015 8:10:42 PM

Just finished my game with Sithbot and man it was a epic clash. I won the match, but just barely. The final score was 200-82 but it really was much closer than the score shows. The map we played on was Smugglers Base.

My squad was:
--Veterans Unleashed--
56 Rahm Kota (Legends)
46 Galen Marek (Legends)
19 Dodonna (Veterans of War)
19 Princess Leia, Rebel Commando
17 Ghhhk (thats right, you read it correctly)
14 General Rieekan
9 R2-D2 with Extended Sensor
8 Juno Eclipse
3 Rodian Brute
9 Ugnaught Demolitionist x3

(200pts. 12 activations)

Sithbots squad was:

--The Patriarch--
Han solo, galactic rogue (Legends)
Streen (Veterans of War)
Chewbacca, GH,
Kyp Durron
Ganner Rhysode
Jagged Fel (WotC version)
ugnaught (x2)

I don't want to list out the strategy of Sithbots squad but man, it was really tough to beat. I was up in points most of the game, but it really came down to the end with Rahm at 40hp against a full health Han. I only won because of a nice crit at the end from Rahm Kota to kill his furious Han Solo with a precision strike, dealing 100dmg in the last round of the game. If it wasn't for that, Rahm would've been a goner, and i would have most likely lost. Sithbot's squad had lots of good synergy and a ton of HP for me to chew through. It was good to see the old Kyp Durron used once again! Great game by a really good player! It was a tense match all the way to the end.
SithBot
Posted: Wednesday, January 21, 2015 8:16:32 PM

Mando wrote:

I don't want to list out the strategy of Sithbots squad but man

I will not run the same squad again.
P.S. the name of the squad is "The Patriarch"

It was a blast of a game. thanks for a great match! I really liked playing against your squad, great build
scruffyhan
Posted: Wednesday, January 21, 2015 9:32:41 PM

Mando wrote:
Just finished my game with Sithbot and man it was a epic clash. I won the match, but just barely. The final score was 200-82 but it really was much closer than the score shows. The map we played on was Smugglers Base.

My squad was:
--Veterans Unleashed--
56 Rahm Kota (Legends)
46 Galen Marek (Legends)
19 Dodonna (Veterans of War)
19 Princess Leia, Rebel Commando
17 Ghhhk (thats right, you read it correctly)
14 General Rieekan
9 R2-D2 with Extended Sensor
8 Juno Eclipse
3 Rodian Brute
9 Ugnaught Demolitionist x3

(200pts. 12 activations)

Sithbots squad was:
Han solo, galactic rogue (Legends)
Streen (Veterans of War)
Chewbacca, GH,
Kyp Durron
Ganner Rhysode
Jagged Fel (WotC version)
ugnaught (x2)

I don't want to list out the strategy of Sithbots squad but man, it was really tough to beat. I was up in points most of the game, but it really came down to the end with Rahm at 40hp against a full health Han. I only won because of a nice crit at the end from Rahm Kota to kill his furious Han Solo with a precision strike, dealing 100dmg in the last round of the game. If it wasn't for that, Rahm would've been a goner, and i would have most likely lost. Sithbot's squad had lots of good synergy and a ton of HP for me to chew through. It was good to see the old Kyp Durron used once again! Great game by a really good player! It was a tense match all the way to the end.

That was a great read. I thoroughly enjoyed it. Good to see such a great game going down. From the play reports it sounds like this league is off to a fantastic start. I wanted to sign up but sadly no one answered my challenge. I had to sit out on principal. That and I got hammered and one thing led to another. Long story short I missed the bloody deadline. Oh well, I shall enjoy following along. Once again, great read.
Mando
Posted: Thursday, January 22, 2015 6:56:35 AM

SithBot wrote:
Mando wrote:

I don't want to list out the strategy of Sithbots squad but man

I will not run the same squad again.
P.S. the name of the squad is "The Patriarch"

It was a blast of a game. thanks for a great match! I really liked playing against your squad, great build

Yeah, I wasn't sure i could get away with just posting the score of the matchup, cause i got to let people know we had legal squads and all that. I guess i should ask Ultrastar: What needs to be posted when it comes to results for the tournament? In all the tournaments I've been in we need to post our squads (even tho i'd like to surprise people with mine). Sorry if posting the squad you played factored into your decision to not play it again. It is a really good squad and I think it would do well in the rest of this tournament. I posted my squad also, so the cats out of the bag on that one. I might play it again, might not. I got a lot of squads i want to try in this tournament. But I think your a good player and will do well in the rest of the tourney, so best of luck to ya man!
SithBot
Posted: Thursday, January 22, 2015 8:17:46 AM

Mando wrote:

Yeah, I wasn't sure i could get away with just posting the score of the matchup, cause i got to let people know we had legal squads and all that. I guess i should ask Ultrastar: What needs to be posted when it comes to results for the tournament? In all the tournaments I've been in we need to post our squads (even tho i'd like to surprise people with mine). Sorry if posting the squad you played factored into your decision to not play it again. It is a really good squad and I think it would do well in the rest of this tournament. I posted my squad also, so the cats out of the bag on that one. I might play it again, might not. I got a lot of squads i want to try in this tournament. But I think your a good player and will do well in the rest of the tourney, so best of luck to ya man!

not a problem at all Mando.
I made up my mind to play a different squad every game before the tournament started. I liked that squad a lot and I think if I have experience with it would do very well, but The LEGENDS and VoW bring a buffet of delicious looking builds. I cannot be fully satisfied with only one flavor ;)
A matter of fact I want to discuss that army a tad more.

Streen did not do what I wanted him to do, but the good news was that he was still effective. He had 4 force points and I wanted to use him to draw fire and actually be the first to die, but that did not pan out. His force storm 4 is a great ability I really like that his force powers are limited, 2 force storm 4's with Ganner would be too much, so kudos for that.

The force power options for NR are fun to play.
I would have loved to see everyone's surprise with your army its unique and fun
theultrastar
Posted: Thursday, January 22, 2015 8:29:14 AM

Just a reminder to everyone. SHNN tonight. 10 Eastern time, 9 Central.

http://www.talkshoe.com/talkshoe/web/talkCast.jsp?masterId=63807

Tune in/come hang in chat during the show. I am going on tonight to talk to Jim and the gang. See you all tonight!
jen'ari
Posted: Thursday, January 22, 2015 4:56:35 PM

I am trying to somehow make a shooter squad, I am looking at the scout trooper sniper for my design. Anyone have ideas?
I was thinking:

Cad Bane 54
Starkiller's clone 47
Thrawn 32
Scout tropper sniper X2 46
3 ugnaughts 9
2 mouse droids 6
2 Rodian Brutes 6

thoughts on competitiveness?