RegisterDonateLogin

Apply directly to the forehead.

Welcome Guest Active Topics | Members

SWMplay.com Options
SWMplay
Posted: Tuesday, February 3, 2015 4:02:13 PM
Groups: Member

Okay, version 0.0.1.10 is now released - all bugs reported on this page (and a few others sent to me via email) have been fixed EXCEPT for the size of the probe droid.
Note that the probe droid bug has been put onto the page of known bugs (all huge/large figures do not currently work at the moment).

I will be working on version 0.0.2.0 which will include a tutorial and a touch up of the AI, but please keep those bug reports coming!

AI is currently a 1/10 but I will pump it up to a 2 over the next week :)

If you finish a game please email me a screenshot of your final score with your name and I will start a top scores ladder on my website.

James
obsidian7788
Posted: Thursday, February 5, 2015 9:23:46 AM

Would be great if it was in app form for android I'm phone bound for internet and would really love to utilize this.
TheHutts
Posted: Thursday, February 5, 2015 10:17:49 AM

I got an error the first time Greedo attacked something (a Probe Droid)

of Step Event0
for object obj_game_controller:

Push :: Execution Error - Variable Get 100303.ative(100065, -2147483648)
at gml_Script_scr_attacking
############################################################################################

stack frame is
gml_Script_scr_attacking (line 0)
gml_Script_scr_ai_attack
gml_Script_scr_ai_turn
gml_Object_obj_game_controller_Step_0

Happened next game too:

of Step Event0

Push :: Execution Error - Variable Get 100303.ative(100065, -2147483648)
############################################################################################

stack frame is
gml_Script_scr_ai_attack
gml_Script_scr_ai_turn

SignerJ
Posted: Thursday, February 5, 2015 4:30:19 PM

Got an error when Greedo tried to attack one of my Rebel Commandos while he was benefiting from Stealth:

of Step Event0

Push :: Execution Error - Variable Get 100306.ative(100065, -2147483648)

stack frame is
gml_Script_scr_ai_attack
gml_Script_scr_ai_turn

Got this when Obi tried to attack Bossk:

of Create Event
for object obj_lightsaber:

Array index must be < 32000
at gml_Object_obj_lightsaber_Create_0
SWMplay
Posted: Saturday, February 7, 2015 3:46:54 AM

.ative should have been .active so that solved most of those bugs :(
Version 0.0.2.0 should be released in 24 hours - with tutorial and bug fixes!
SWMplay
Posted: Sunday, February 8, 2015 3:12:52 AM

Version 0.0.2.0 is now available - this one includes a tutorial :)
SignerJ
Posted: Sunday, February 8, 2015 9:04:15 AM

Awesome! Two things, so far:

1) I still can't figure out how to use the Imperial Officer's cannon CE.

2) After successfully killing both Greedo and IG-88 (thanks a lot to combined fire), my troopers were randomly shot at from the top left corner fo teh map where there were no opponents. This error message displayed:

of Step Event0

Push :: Execution Error - Variable Get 0.active(100026, -2147483648)
at gml_Object_obj_game_controller_Step_0
SWMplay
Posted: Monday, February 9, 2015 2:57:45 AM

1) Still in the list of known bugs - When all game crashing bugs are completed this is the second bug in line for fixing. First bug fixed is Luke's Impulsive shot.

2) I don't believe it :( I didn't even know that this is possible; yes I do know what is happening I just can't believe it :(

Please note iOs version is in the works but not short term :(

Version 0.0.2.1 is uploading now :)
kitfisto10
Posted: Monday, February 9, 2015 7:15:50 AM

I played a game with the most recent version and here are some bugs I noticed.

I have noticed that attacks of opportunity when you enter a square adjacent to a figure, but they should only happen when you exit a square adjacent to an enemy. (The AI has made attacks of opportunity on me, but I have not made any on the AI)

I was able to combine fire with allies who do not have line of sight to the target.

Darth Vader attacked IG 88 from several squares away, through cover.

After the first round, I activated all of my characters but I was prompted to keep choosing characters to activate. I could only choose some and there seemed to be no particular reason for ones I could choose. I activated some characters a second time, and Darth Vader a second and third time. After four or five extra activation, initiative was rolled and the second round started.
I combined fire a few times in this round, so maybe that is related?

I was in the second round, and I had just finished moving my characters. I had only moved in this round so far, no attacks had been made. The AI was about to activate a character when I got this error.
of Step Event0

Push :: Execution Error - Variable Get 0.active(100026, -2147483648)
at gml_Object_obj_game_controller_Step_0

SWMplay
Posted: Monday, February 9, 2015 6:14:51 PM

Version 0.0.2.2 is released with bug fixes.

kitfisto10 wrote:
I was able to combine fire with allies who do not have line of sight to the target.

Unfortunately this will be put into the long term bug fixes as I need to re-write the combat code to do this :(
seibermaki
Posted: Sunday, February 22, 2015 2:05:16 AM

Hi there, professional QA Tester here. I recommend something like JIRA(although it costs some $$$) or perhaps Bugzilla or Mantis for bugtracking. Might be more efficient than going through emails or posts here.

Your program sounds cool!
SWMplay
Posted: Tuesday, March 10, 2015 3:09:19 AM

Version 0.3.0 released.

Should be less bugs as the combat engine was re-written - this also allows me to expand greatly as the old version was getting harder and harder to add new abilites/force power e.t.c

But I still need this to be tested. The next major version (0.4.0) will allow a person to create their own squad and play with that (so all figures from 'rebel storm' will be playable).
AI will be upgraded a bit as well.

Version 0.5.0 will be multiplayer. :)

Agree about the bug tracking software but at the moment I'm happy to accept emails as I only get about 4-10 bug reports each version.
General_Grievous
Posted: Tuesday, March 10, 2015 7:15:40 AM

Super cool! Make more!
Capant
Posted: Monday, April 13, 2015 1:01:04 AM

This is brilliant timing. I've actually been out of the hobby for years and had been a regular casual gamer early to mid 2000s. Recently picked up a rots starter cheap and thought would love to jump back in.

If an ipad version is really a possibility I would be very very interested. I was just thinking this week it would be a fantastic compliment to the game; being able to grab an ipad and jump on in to a skirmish

Great work!
SWMplay
Posted: Saturday, May 9, 2015 8:07:16 PM

Sorry for not more updates but I am struggling with this and RL :( And I have a major problem with multiplayer.

Just a question - does everyone want me to be as close to the game as possible OR choose ALL your moves at the start of the turn and all pieces move at the same time.
Im thinking of going this way because it solves a lot of problems with multiplayer - what if one player leaves? What happens if they get sick of waiting? It's easy to say that each player gets 10 seconds but what happens if they dont' choose any character?

Would appreciate feedback.

James
kobayashimaru
Posted: Saturday, May 9, 2015 8:48:15 PM

@Jim "SWMplay" Clifton (ive had a squiz at your koala comics too, they're neat!) BigGrin,
I've long been an advocate of 'simultaneous turn structure" BigGrin
(its similar to W40K in terms of turn resolution)
Our local game group has modded the game since early on, and experimented with a lot of different stuff.

This said,
you will have to 'errata' how certain effects work,
such as:
cunning attack, opportunist, 'flat footed', quick reactions, etc...
mobile attack, greater mobile attack, ambush, riposte, etc
anticipation, surprise move, and some CE's or SAs.
Things like Recon and San Hill's/Tarkins CE get nerfed a lot - yet, if interpretted as allowing you to chose only to activate up to 2 people per turn, this can work with impulsive savage and savage characters/mercenaries (so, they don't have to be activated if they would die, neat huh?).
The benefits are worth it though - the game is more fast paced, and can cope with more than 2 players much better than Standard.

Otherwise, its much the same as the normal game,
and both people get to move at the same time and in the same phase - which leads to people feeling more involved.

So, in terms of 'code', (forgive my pseudocode)
Im not entirely familiar with the framework you're using - I use a little AIXML, C#, Jscript, Json, Pearl and mainly XNA 2.0/FPS Creator 7 framework to code BigGrin adapt as you see fit to your code framework.
Most of my reflection is based on looking at XNAChess and similar code, as that is essentially what SWMinis is (only with an irregularly sized board heh) BigGrin

Also, I can supply brainstorm picture/mindmap and system sketch if you'd prefer to pseudocode that way - to envisage how it might work BigGrin

A lot will depend on how you arrange your 'gamestates' - you'll also need 'watertight overflow catches', just to make sure theres no lockup or counterset issues.

you would have an AI routine/heuristic algorithm (probably one that is a multivariate, which values each gridsquare-maptile, similar to the AI from StarCraft 1...) BigGrin
So, each player is technically by default 'ai', and will auto-play unless you make a move.
That's how I'd do it, that's the approach I think you're angling for
I'd make the timer something like 2 minutes max to make a move in (we could even collate and share data to determine a realistic array of aggregate turn time with TheHutts, Kezzamachine etc, because they have loads of stats on that stuff, maybe even Sithborg, Swinefeld or Billiv...)

So, each side makes a move.
The AI.mode depends on hard, easy or custom etc...
it will assign a |nth| target value to each gridsquare, based on:
the present status of the piece on the square, the threat index rating of the piece, and likely futures moves (up to 2 or 3 turns projected from the present turn).
The AI moves melee towards the highest value target, while avoiding LoS with enemy range attacker and Direct Damage/Area of Effect pieces.
Non-melee moves to the position that has the best LoS to the enemy
(this would be determined by considering the LoS as part of the move phase, and per character the AI controls, it evalutates the LoS from each of the squares it can move to; say, speed 6, it considers within the tiled area).

If the player leaves the game, the AI resumes, and after 3 consecutive turns (or a limit that players can toggle), the other player is dumped and replaced by AI of a difficulty...

Hopefully that helps somewhat, and you've got my email if you want to googlehangout to discuss that in real-time.

ps,
if you can incorporate into your AI 'markov chain monte carlo' method,
Thue-Morse crawler/Conway crawler method (check that out on the Electronic Journal of Combinatorics),
or eigenmatrix for the whole gridmap, that might 'enhance the verisimilitude of the AI'/make the computer difficult as an adversary.

Maybe, if having the necessary floatingpoint calculus becomes annoying, (the math can be mind-mushifying)
you could instead base the AI on "NP complete" system of moves; which could be as simple as an array/matrix of possible moves for each given piece.
streetness
Posted: Friday, June 19, 2015 4:55:05 AM

Love the program! Only complaint I have as of now is that the blue text is almost unreadable :(

Great job by the way!
Rafafer
Posted: Saturday, September 3, 2016 11:45:49 PM

Hi. I just discovered swm online and have been pleasantly surprised.
I've been playing the 3 options and although there are some errors generally works very well.
I've found that has not said anything for more than a year ago, keeping the version 0.0.3
Is there any news about its evolution?
kobayashimaru
Posted: Sunday, September 4, 2016 12:24:19 AM

@rafafer
Great to see you on Bloomilk!
and, you ask excellent questions!

I've not heard much from the maker, SWMplay, for a while.
It was real-world commitments, and a lack of feedback at the time,
which led to the hiatus,
though I am sure they'll return at some point.
the email on the website is still current as far as I know BigGrin

there were other interested folks,
who were looking at a kickstarter to help support this project,
just a small one to get the hours for a
translation to app format, or regionalizations.
a couple of hundred $USD was achievable goal, when 50 or so interested people chip in ~$2USD etc.
especially, for spanish, german, and portugese
(if you look at the google analytics for the page, most traffic was from those domains)

the most attractive future feature,
was being able to print out your squad,
and play on physical tabletops with the same squad you've been training with on that game.
conversely,
it would be awesome to hexa-decimal batch import from say... Bloomilk or somewhere,
and save on any duplication of effort.

There was also suggestions for a combinatorial AGI for automated opponents -
this did get a look in at cogworks and elsewhere, specifically the GOji han forum (for the boardgame, Go, which has a similar number of states in runtime as an avg SWM game can)
so that would be another feature in the pipeline.
If the game had been formed in XNA, we could port several 'chess' AI routines and try from there...

online multiplayer was also considered -
it is apparently do-able with the present engine.

It is a very nice way to game,
I can't thank SWMplay enough for making it as awesome as it is, and sharing it with folks.
a huge thing going for it, is that it isn't vassal.
as some folks have a lot of problems with Vassal install or functioning.

If you want to see those futures features realized,
then, we need to let SWMplay know that folks'd want to give it a try BigGrin
we'd probably be best at this point,
to get a few of us together to chip in from 'beer money',
and support SWMplay or a small team of volunteers + source code,
to complete that awesome project BigGrin

the main revision would be, tweaking a couple of interactions,
and I'd really like to see regionalized transliterations,
so folks from languages other than english that have had to struggle,
can game it up - that'd be an outstanding difference
compared to Vassal, which has sketchy regionalization.

EDIT: the dice randomness would be something I'd like to look at too.
I think its just a 'get.that.structrandom' command from 0 to 20...
I keep getting 11s a lot heheh
Rafafer
Posted: Sunday, September 4, 2016 1:22:43 AM

Thank you very much @kobayashimaru for the updating of the status of this project.
The truth is that I would be very pleased to contribute financially if this project starts in Kickstarter, even with a greater amount that you indicate in your post.
The translations into other languages would be great, I'm spanish and my english is very poor.
We will be aware of the changes happen in SWMplay