RegisterDonateLogin

Mind what you have learned. Save you it can.

Welcome Guest Active Topics | Members

Ladies and Gentlemen, Gathering Forces! Options
Darth O
Posted: Tuesday, March 17, 2015 2:00:12 AM
Groups: Member

I'm gonna have to wait until after the 2nd of April to get my games in, due to studying full time and also working 20 hours a week. Can't wait!
spryguy1981
Posted: Tuesday, March 17, 2015 5:42:49 PM

Just finished my game with Pego and man was it a doozy. The winner of this game won on pure luck.

My squad was Alema Hunters
44 Jaina-GH
35 Jag in Beskar
32 Zekk
29 Ganner
25 Jacen Solo
10 Luke Spirit
8 R7
5 Caamasi
6 Uggie x2
6 MOuse x2

Pego's squad
39 Legends Luke
38 VoW Han
36 Legends Chewie
36 Yoda of Dagobah
20 Princess Leia
18 R2P0
6 Mouse x2
6 Uggie x2

Played on Theed Palace,

Round 1 was positioning with Pego taking gambit with Luke. I levitated Jag to LoS on Luke to put 20 on him
Round 2 I won init and doubled Luke hitting for 30, failed Reflect, hit for 30 on the double, Luke at 30. Wisely Pego moves Chewie up to Guardian Luke and drops 20 on Jag, Leia hits him too and he makes his armor save, cannon shot to Chewie Jag makes armor save. I levitate Jag out of danger and move Jaina foward to Push 4 Luke, forgetting Guardian can take Push damage.

Round 3 I win init and Zekk attacks Yoda for 60. Yoda gives up AoO and takes 20, Stuns Jaina 3x I make all the saves. Leia cannons Han and he puts 50 on Jaina. Ganner levitates Jag and Jag kills Luke. Chewie kills Jaina, Han puts 20 on Jagto drop him to 10HP.

Round 4 I win init and Zekk kills Leia. Chewie puts damage on Zekk, Han barrages. Yoda tries to stun Jacen 2x and he makes his saves. Ganner Levs Jacen in who Unleashes putting 60 on Han, 30 on Yoda, 30 on R2, 60 on Chewie. He misses some shots on Zekk, Chewie hits him leaving him at 30 damage.

Round 5 Zekk goes and puts 20 on Han. Han and Chewie both miss shots on him as he hangs on by a thread. Ganner pushes Yoda, Jacen kills him. Chewie is now guarding the others. At this point 154-144 Pego with 2 min left.

Round 6, Pego wins init, kills Zekk. I run Ganner in for the Sweep, he puts 20 on R2, rolls a crit on Chewie who took 20 giving up an AoO to Zekk in the prior round. Chewie defiant death shots Ganner for 30. Ganner fails his draw fire save and misses his attack on R2. Jacen runs in and swings his saber to kill R2P0. Final score 208-186 in my favor for a 3pt win.

I got really lucky, Pego played great, and I played dumb early and was in scramble mode. Kudos to Pego for a fun game.
jen'ari
Posted: Tuesday, March 17, 2015 5:48:18 PM

whoa!
battle of the ages that one.

Jaina making 3 stuns = crazy, she was not to be denied!

Great game. very fast to the action!
obiwan1knight
Posted: Tuesday, March 17, 2015 8:54:50 PM

Hey guys, Could someone clarify what the new Unrivaled special ability does?
spryguy1981
Posted: Wednesday, March 18, 2015 4:45:55 AM

Unrivaled is sort of like a disruptive for your squad. Basically the higher costing piece suppresses the CE of a lower costing piece. It's a safeguard that we introduced to keep pieces like Vader and the Inquisitor from being played with Thrawn because we wanted to have a different build to choose from, but Rival itself didn't make sense. Hence why Unrivaled was made.
pegolego
Posted: Wednesday, March 18, 2015 6:03:19 AM

jen'ari wrote:
whoa!
battle of the ages that one.

Jaina making 3 stuns = crazy, she was not to be denied!

Great game. very fast to the action!

I don't think anybody on Spry's team failed a single Stun the entire game (or the other activating abilities from like Power Blast for that matter, though I don't remember if those actually came into play). Most of the rolls (such as the crit) in the last couple rounds were like that for me it seems Sad, though that's part of the game.

It also didn't help that I was not aware until it was too late that the time limits to the games, for whatever reason, are extended by 5 minutes (had I known that in advance, I still believe that there's no way I lose that game; As it is, even with the extra round it took a TON of luck and perfect maneuvering on Spry's part as well, taking everything I had accidentally given him and providing himself the best possible chance to comeback in order to JUST snag the win). Spry played better and deserved to win, but the way the matchup and first few rounds of the game fell, I had no business losing the game. It was a terrible lesson learned; it isn't over until it's over, and sometimes it's not even over then Wink
theultrastar
Posted: Wednesday, March 18, 2015 6:17:10 AM

obiwan1knight wrote:

It's a way for us to create competitive pieces without having to worry about how they interact with Thrawn. Vader/Tarkin/Palps/Inquisitor is an interesting squad. As is Vader/Starkiller's Clone/Tarkin/and Rex 501'st.

Unrivaled will shut down all CE's of commanders that cost less than Vader.
jen'ari
Posted: Wednesday, March 18, 2015 6:26:54 AM

theultrastar wrote:
obiwan1knight wrote:

It's a way for us to create competitive pieces without having to worry about how they interact with Thrawn. Vader/Tarkin/Palps/Inquisitor is an interesting squad. As is Vader/Starkiller's Clone/Tarkin/and Rex 501'st.

Unrivaled will shut down all CE's of commanders that cost less than Vader.

unless they have disciplined leader ;)
obiwan1knight
Posted: Wednesday, March 18, 2015 11:20:22 AM

Ok, thanks. I was confused because the current wording implies that allies who costs less than the Unrivaled character are not subject to commander effects, which would mean that Thrawn could be used, but his CE only effects people who cost more than the Unrivaled character.

Potentially, a better wording would be:

Unrivaled: Allied commanders who cost less than this character have their commander effects suppressed.
theultrastar
Posted: Wednesday, March 18, 2015 12:29:22 PM

Hey thanks Obi, I updated it, should make the intent more clear.
Mando
Posted: Wednesday, March 18, 2015 7:36:31 PM

Just got finished with my game vs Jenari. The game resulted in a 3pt win for me.

We played on Bothan Spynet

My squad:

*squad design is classified*

but i'll give some details about it. BigGrin

-90% of its activations are fringe pieces.
-one of the pieces used is the Chiss scout from Gathering Forces
-one piece is the Legends Elite Czerka Technician

Jenari's squad was:

Darth Krayt,
Nihl (legends)
wyyrlok (VoW)
Talon (v-set)
Bane's Holocron (Gathering Forces)
r7
Wicket
mouse
2 ugnaughts

I won map roll and picked bothan spynet. The game ended in a 3pt win for my mostly fringe squad. the final score was 220-38. It was nice to see my old school WotC squad I used to play many years ago be boosted by the Legends/Gathering forces pieces. Good game by Jenari, who is a good player and a classy gent!
SithBot
Posted: Wednesday, March 18, 2015 7:43:22 PM

oooh... interesting. classified army and it has lots of wotc pieces that get boosted, that's sweet!
I wonder what faction it is.
I love bringing in WotC stuff that we have not seen played in a while.

haha, jen'ari's losing streak is still on. might be good at sports, but when it comes to SWM's.... last place!

but he is a classy gent in a redneck sort of way.

but seriously, he keeps to his ideals. theme squads for competition. how is that going for ya?

*we get into arguments all the time about it*
his brother deaths_baine gets onto to him too. stubborn as a mule that one!

I am trying to my squad ready for Amadeus this Saturday night for my Gathering Forces debut!
excited!
jen'ari
Posted: Wednesday, March 18, 2015 8:00:27 PM

lets just put it this way. a great player running a great squad equals needing a very optimized squad to win. I didnt have the squad or the skill to match for the game. well played by Mando.

Ya ya ya losing streak won't last forever.

Someone is bound to forfeit
theultrastar
Posted: Thursday, March 19, 2015 7:03:52 PM

Just played my match against Shmi15.

He ran Seps, with WoTC Darth Sidious, he ran Legends Maul, Ventress from Gathering Forces, Bossk from Legends, Figran D'an, Human Bodyguard, and I don't remember what else.

I ran God Squad 2.0, which is Luke from Legends, Han from Veterans of War, Chewie from Legends, Princess Leia, Yoda of Dagobah, R2C3pO. I had 9 acts. Rich out acted me by a few. Rich won map and took Jabba's palace, I took the left side, so I could bottleneck his squad through a certain area of the map and try to control the fight better.

First round we position. I think end of the first Rich pawns Maul and brings him in on R2C3PO and my R7. Top of the next round I win init, and act Maul with Han with Power Blast. Rich brings Bossk in and throws a Thermal Detonator which I make almost all of my saves, I fail a few, I don't think anyone dies here. Rich then brings Ventress in and takes down R23PO. He rolling cleaves and attacks my R7, which I take the damage with Chewie.

I take Ventress down, blow a door open and move Yoda out so that I can try and activate some people the following round. Rich acts Sid and lightnings my R7 I believe, which Chewie takes. Start of the next round I get a round of Gambit, Rich does not. Rich wins init, uses a FP, attacks with Maul and drops back. I move Yoda in and try to activate, I end up getting Bossk. Luke moves in and takes Bossk down. I put some damage on Sid in this round, but nothing else dies. Start of the next round, I bring Luke on Maul and Rich concedes. 3pt win for me.

Me and Richard's rivalry is one that only Johnny Ringo and Doc Holiday in Tombstone could appreciate. We play for blood. I walked away the victor this time. Celebrated with some Tacos. Great way to start off the 2nd round of the Vassal League! Justin Cook, Dr Daman look out! I'm closing the narrow gap between us!
Justin Cook
Posted: Friday, March 20, 2015 6:33:53 PM

ultrastar! You dont stand a chance against me! I will collect a 3 point win with ease. As a matter of fact I am gonna celebrate my victory over you driving 50 miles to the nearest jack in the box for 2 for $1 tacos and eat 20 of them! You cant beat me!
Amadeus
Posted: Sunday, March 22, 2015 9:32:58 AM

Just finished my game with Sithbot, we both played very thematic squads. Was a very exciting game and got very close at points.

My Squad:
--Arguments in the Senate--
29 Captain Argyus
23 Mon Mothma
21 Admiral Yularen
100 Senate Commando x5
9 R2-D2, Astromech Droid
10 Spaarti Clone Trooper Demolitionist x2
6 Mouse Droid x2

SithBot's Squad:
Vader (Vow)
Grand Moff Wilhuff Tarkin (LGNDS)
Palpatine, Galactic Emperor (GF)
Vader's Apprentice, Unleashed
Bossk, Mercenary (LGNDS)
Ugnaught x2
R7
Mouse Droid

I won map roll, and so we played on Rancor Pen. SithBot chose the right side, I took left. I set up my combat forces in the top left, and yularen and mon mothma in the bottom left. SithBot started behind an outcropping in the middle.

I won init, and let SithBot go first. He moved his scrubs first, and I also moved my scrubs. I made a potshot with a Spaarti and killed an ugnaught. Nothing else interesting really happened this round, I moved my commandos forward a bit and spread them out. SithBot moved his pieces behind the main outcropping. (this part may have been two rounds, actually, but nothing really happened of particular note).

Sithbot won init, and chose to go first. He moved out palps and Sith Battle Manipulated not once but TWICE, rearranging everything and clumping my characters together. However, I was able to respond by moving one of my mice back into range and letting loose with a Senate Commando. Palps had no defensive abilities and I fired my shots at him, Critting twice I believe, killing off palpatine that turn. The next manuever used by SithBot involved Tarkin moving up to disrupt my 2 Commandos up at the front in gambit. A mouse droid moved adjacent to the furthest forward commando, to keep Tarkin safe. However, a commando in the back killed the mouse and with his double killed tarkin too. Bossk moved forward and dropped a thermal detonator on the front 2 commandos, bringing them down to 20 health. I didn't make a single TD save the entire game lol. I put some fire on him back and landed 1 shot bringing him to 50. Vader and his apprentice moved up. Vader tried to use Face your Destiny on Argyus, but I made the save.

Next round, The apprentice dropped force lightning 50 on 2 of my commandos, killing them. They fired off twin deathshots at vader, hitting 2 of them (but neither got the +10 bonus from mon). I fired off some shots from the 20 HP commandos at vader. Bossk moved up and threw another thermal detonator at them, killing them and taking bossk with them from deathshots. Vader moved forward down towards my weaker commanders, and used face your destiny on Argyus. Argyus moved adjacent to vader on his turn. I used my spaarti to take some potshots at vader, actually landing a hit with a very good roll. Yularen moved forward and tried to take a shot at vader but failed.

I have recon now and get 2 init rolls. My second roll is a 20! I win init and bring in another senate commando. I go first, and use argyus (who now has Close Quarters Fighting helping him) to finish off vader. At this point, Sithbot resigns with only vader's apprentice left.

It was a great game, Sithbot was an awesome and challenging opponent, definitely some close calls which made for a fun exciting game. It was nice to have two very themed builds fight against each other. I'll likely be switching it up to something completely different next game. Sithbot, let me know if I got anything major wrong here, and thanks for the game! :)

SithBot
Posted: Sunday, March 22, 2015 10:15:26 AM

Looks right.
Upper hand was yours through the game, good positioning kept me in check.

I needed some kind of break, almost got it but you made the Face Your Destiny save that first time afte that i would need a miracle

was a fun match.

Bossk was my MVP probably.

great match, onto my next opponent, whoever will bloomail me back!!!
theultrastar
Posted: Monday, March 23, 2015 7:21:44 AM

Me and DieAndBeMetal played. He won map, so we played on the Rhen Var, Ice Citadel. I ran Bane from Legends, Malgus from Legends, Sith Emperor from Legends, two Dark Jedi, 3 uggs, 4 mice, and a R7. Christian ran Vader from Veterans, Tarkin from Legends, Palps from Gathering Forces, with Vaders Apprentice, 3 R7's and some other filler.

First couple rounds was about positioning. Christian bottlenecked me, and I took down a couple R7's and dropped on Gambit. But that was all I was able to do in the fight. I got Vader down to 30 HP, before Christian was able to take down Bane and Malgus, and one of my Dark Jedi (I sac'ed the other)

Vader's Apprentice and Tarkin were huge for Christian in this game. Tarkin's Doctrine of Fear kept Vader alive from 2 big attacks from Malgus. Then also helped Vader survive a big attack from Bane. Palps grouped things up, and the Apprentice was able to zap my big guns for 60 and activate Bane. Christian played a very strong game. He deserved the win! Congrats DaBM!
obiwan1knight
Posted: Monday, March 23, 2015 8:46:13 AM

^Palps with SBM is probably my favorite concept from Gathering Forces.

Anyway, All of you who I am supposed to play, could you send me a BM with times that work for you. Weekends are bad for me for the most part, but during the week I am pretty free, so let me know; I am ready to get playing!
theultrastar
Posted: Tuesday, March 24, 2015 7:32:05 AM

I just updated the first post in this thread with a link to the Gathering Forces Vassal Extension! I also added links to all of the Legacy sets including Legends, Veterans of War, and Gathering Forces!