RegisterDonateLogin

It is possible this site is not entirely stable.

Welcome Guest Active Topics | Members

Poll Question : is darth Plagueis the new anti-GOWK?
Choice Votes Statistics
Yes 9 17.307692 %
No 43 82.692307 %

New Anti GOWK? Options
LoboStele
Posted: Tuesday, June 2, 2009 8:52:26 AM
Groups: Member

awesome wrote:
and why are U guys trying to say that jareal would last against plagueis? corrupt and possably the next round she's dead, same with rex and dash, because they will have to come close to shoot at plagueis I dont just pop him in the open to say "hey shoot me!" no I put him behind a wall or something

But how do you use Corruption if you're hiding behind the wall? You can't have your cake and eat it too.

And as I said earlier in the thread, I wouldn't even worry about trying to shoot at Plagueis as you advance. I'd be shooting all your support pieces, Ugnaughts, whatever you put where I can draw an LOS to.

Plagueis' 20 defense will not save him. Does it save any of the other character's that have a 20 defense but no anti-shooter defensive abilities? Does Dooku of Serreno's 21 defense save him against the Rex/Dash combos?

The fact is, if Plagueis moves out to use Corruption on ANYTHING in a GOWK squad, he's going to get shot in return. A good player will make sure that you can't sit in hiding and use Corruption without risking yourself as well.

Even if Plagueis maintains cover, Rex needs 12's to hit, and Dash only needs 10's. So, 45% chance that Rex will hit on each attack, and a 55% that Dash will hit. So, that roughly evens out to each of them landing 2 hits per round. That's 80 damage. That Plagueis can do nothing about. If you lose init, and Rex goes first, he pops you again, for an average of 40 more, killing Plagueis. You don't even get two uses of Corruption out of him. And maybe you do get a 2nd Corruption out of him, well then Dash unloads with Opportunist again. Sure, you can put screening pieces like Ugnaughts or such in the way so that Rex/Dash have to shoot them first, but typically either GOWK or some of GOWK's Ugos or a Human BG or any number of things could wipe out those screening pieces first too.

Saying he has a 20 Defense, and that's good enough for him to survive just doesn't cut it. It doesn't hold up with current pieces that have a 21 defense (Dooku), so why would it be any different with a new piece that is a 20 defense?
billiv15
Posted: Tuesday, June 2, 2009 9:02:13 AM

I honestly surprised this got 5 positive votes :)
awesome
Posted: Tuesday, June 2, 2009 10:21:26 AM

LoboStele wrote:
awesome wrote:
and why are U guys trying to say that jareal would last against plagueis? corrupt and possably the next round she's dead, same with rex and dash, because they will have to come close to shoot at plagueis I dont just pop him in the open to say "hey shoot me!" no I put him behind a wall or something

But how do you use Corruption if you're hiding behind the wall? You can't have your cake and eat it too.

And as I said earlier in the thread, I wouldn't even worry about trying to shoot at Plagueis as you advance. I'd be shooting all your support pieces, Ugnaughts, whatever you put where I can draw an LOS to.

Plagueis' 20 defense will not save him. Does it save any of the other character's that have a 20 defense but no anti-shooter defensive abilities? Does Dooku of Serreno's 21 defense save him against the Rex/Dash combos?

The fact is, if Plagueis moves out to use Corruption on ANYTHING in a GOWK squad, he's going to get shot in return. A good player will make sure that you can't sit in hiding and use Corruption without risking yourself as well.

Even if Plagueis maintains cover, Rex needs 12's to hit, and Dash only needs 10's. So, 45% chance that Rex will hit on each attack, and a 55% that Dash will hit. So, that roughly evens out to each of them landing 2 hits per round. That's 80 damage. That Plagueis can do nothing about. If you lose init, and Rex goes first, he pops you again, for an average of 40 more, killing Plagueis. You don't even get two uses of Corruption out of him. And maybe you do get a 2nd Corruption out of him, well then Dash unloads with Opportunist again. Sure, you can put screening pieces like Ugnaughts or such in the way so that Rex/Dash have to shoot them first, but typically either GOWK or some of GOWK's Ugos or a Human BG or any number of things could wipe out those screening pieces first too.

Saying he has a 20 Defense, and that's good enough for him to survive just doesn't cut it. It doesn't hold up with current pieces that have a 21 defense (Dooku), so why would it be any different with a new piece that is a 20 defense?

U guys are talking like Im only going to have Plagueis on my team,

no he can go out corrupt, sidiouse can pawn a character into position than swap with no shots taken, U will have to get close enough to even see anything so I think your peices would die much faster.

GOWK squades are not unbeatable, so dont hide behind him thinking he is unstoppable, I defeated a GOWK squad with NO auto damage and it was pretty easy, he ran out of FP's than died while everyone else was beat in the begining.
madslaust
Posted: Tuesday, June 2, 2009 11:04:59 AM

awesome wrote:
LoboStele wrote:
awesome wrote:

no he can go out corrupt, sidiouse can pawn a character into position than swap with no shots taken, U will have to get close enough to even see anything so I think your peices would die much faster.

GOWK squades are not unbeatable, so dont hide behind him thinking he is unstoppable, I defeated a GOWK squad with NO auto damage and it was pretty easy, he ran out of FP's than died while everyone else was beat in the begining.

So he can swap Plagueis into position. Then what? He's left out to dry.

No one has said GOWK was unbeatable. But in the hands of good players, it's pretty hard. That's all.
mercenary_moose
Posted: Tuesday, June 2, 2009 11:11:15 AM

madslaust wrote:
awesome wrote:
LoboStele wrote:
awesome wrote:

No one has said GOWK was unbeatable. But in the hands of good players, it's pretty hard. That's all.

Very well-put.
awesome
Posted: Tuesday, June 2, 2009 11:39:18 AM

mercenary_moose wrote:
madslaust wrote:
awesome wrote:
LoboStele wrote:
awesome wrote:

Very well-put.

NO Corruption 4 is a replace attacks I said "corrupt with plagueis THAN pawn swap with sid" I dont use 3 very often unless there is a good operatunity.
vanlanning
Posted: Tuesday, June 2, 2009 2:04:23 PM

at the rate things are coming, nothing will beat GOWK, especially a squad with Plaegus. Panaka's swap is less dependant than sids, and the swap is cheap. The classic republic swap will always be the 2nd fastest.( ist is speedy cannon) it will be fairly close though, if both people play it right.
awesome
Posted: Wednesday, June 3, 2009 1:52:40 AM

vanlanning wrote:
at the rate things are coming, nothing will beat GOWK, especially a squad with Plaegus. Panaka's swap is less dependant than sids, and the swap is cheap. The classic republic swap will always be the 2nd fastest.( ist is speedy cannon) it will be fairly close though, if both people play it right.

Yes, both sides (Plagueis vs GOWK squads) will be close, but the thing is, is that Plagueis isnt the only damage output, sid can hold his own too, triple attack for a 57 pointer is extremely good and a 15 attack,
so the game would be close.
LoboStele
Posted: Wednesday, June 3, 2009 1:57:34 AM

awesome wrote:

No we're not. We're talking based on playtests with existing pieces that have very similar uses. Honestly, Plagueis is NOT that different from Dooku of Serreno

DP has Parry, DoS has Makashi
DP has a Replaces Attacks/auto Damage ability in Corruption, DoS has Lightning 2
DP has a 20 defense with no anti-ranged defense powers, DoS is a 21 defense and also has no anti-ranged defense powers.

awesome wrote:

OK, sure, DP has Darth Sidious to back him up and help provide some help. I can't tell if you're talking 150 points or 200 though, but the major measure of how competitive a piece will be is at 150 points, since that's where the Championship is played at. So at 150 points, Plagueis + Sidious is 120 points. Now, you'll need at least 2 Mouse Droids to effectively swap more than once, and you'll probably want something beefy for a 2nd threat, like a Sith Lord, or Jarael, or perhaps a solid shooter. But notice, you only have 24 points to work with. So good luck squeezing in any sort of shooter that will really help you that much.

OK, so say you just go with Swap fodder instead. THINK about the steps you have to take to pull off the swap. You won't be able to do it succesfully more than once against a solid player. Even against a non-GOWK player you won't be able to do it more than once in most cases.

Sidious' CE is limited to 6 squares. So that means either Sidious or a Mouse Droid has to be within 18 of GOWK in order to swap Plagueis in. AND you need to have a swap piece within 6 of the MD. If you play it right, you can probably hide a Mouse Droid around a corner or something, OK, give you that. So, you move up the Mouse Droid, then you activate Sidious, Pawn something, then swap in Plagueis at the end of your turn. Well, if you do it in that order, now you've just given away EXACTLY what you're planning to do, and the GOWK player can simply maneuver a piece or two in the way so you can't Corrupt GOWK as easily.

OK, so instead of doing it that way, maybe you move the Mouse Droid in a previous phase. So instead, in the key phase, you do a Sidious Pawn/Swap, then activate Plagueis to move 6 and Corrupt. OK, so you've put 40 damage on GOWK at this point. Now what do you do? Plagueis is stuck out there. The smart GOWK player has left Dash and Rex to activate until the end of the round, and if you're REALLY lucky, Plagueis survives the round. Of course, if you lose init, Rex unloads on Plagueis again, killing him. If you win init, you have to burn Sidious' swap immediately (that is, if Plagueis is still within range of the Mouse Droid, which can be tricky). Then this round, Rex and Dash run around killing as much of your swap fodder as they can get to with impunity.

OK, so let's take the third option here. You advance carefully enough so that Plagueis is able to activate first, and he runs 6 and hits GOWK with Corruption (again, has to be sort of a dumb GOWK player to let that happen though, IMO). But let's say you pull it off. Now, Sidious activates, and again, either Sidious has to be within 6 of Plagueis, or a Mouse Droid does, so still some tricky positioning to be had there, but you swap out Plagueis. If you had decided to run something like a Sith Lord for your swap piece, well, now it's sitting 6 squares from GOWK, and likely 6-12 from Rex/Dash, AND it hasn't activated yet. Rex probably moves 6, unloads on it with a 75% chance of doing 80 damage, and then GOWK, who is within 6 squares, moves up and makes a single attack to kill it. Heck, even if Rex only hits 3/4 shots, which would be expected statistically, that leaves the Sith Lord with 30 HP left, AND within 6 of GOWK...so GOWK just uses Force Push. Now you have Sidious, Plagueis, and 2 Mouse Droids left in a 150 point squad. And the GOWK player has all his pieces still, at full health no less, with the exception of GOWK at 80. At that point, you can't swap anymore. So good luck getting into position for any more Corruption attacks without getting shot to pieces on the approach.

The only other option would be to run a squad that is DP, DS, a couple Mouse Droids, and then 24 points of fodder. You need pieces you can swap with, and luckily, Grans do well because Rex and Dash can't hit them because of Stealth. So you're looking at 11 activations at a maximum (3 Grans, 4 Ugos for the last 24 points). Well, heck, the lowest GOWK squads have 9 activations typically, and I've seen plenty others with more than that. Not to mention that the GOWK/Yobuck squad that won the Texas Regional would shred any of your Swappers before they get even remotely close. And there are several GOWK builds that have 11 or 12 activations. How do you deal with those? Dash will be left to activate after your last pieces no matter what you do in that scenario.

It just isn't going to work at 150 points.

OK, so you're probably talking about 200 points instead. Sure, I'll concede that the Sdious/Plagueis swap will be more plausible at that point level, but then again, GOWK also has more tricks up his sleeve in those builds as well. Now you're not just dealing with GOWK, Dash, and Rex, but you're also dealing with two JWM in ADDITION! Can DS/DP pack enough support in a squad to deal with all of those? Parry will only help them so much, especially when DS or DP need to roll 12's or 14's, respectively, in order to even hit the JWMs in return.

And again, the true measure of a piece's competitiveness is measured at the 150 point level, because, at least for now, that's how the Championship is played. Most people will even agree that GOWK isn't quite a strong (still VERY strong though) at 200 points as he is at 150 because the other factions have more diverse countering options as well. But you can't just unilaterally say stuff like "Darth Plagueis will be a good counter to GOWK" just because it works at 200 points. And honestly, I don't really even think it will work there either. All the smart player has to do is continually rotate the pieces that you are forced to target with Lightning/Corruption so that the damage doesn't stack up on just one piece. It isn't that hard to do.

Quote:

Nobody has said he's unbeatable. I've beaten GOWK a few times myself. But everytime that I've beat GOWK with a squad that just consisted of lots and lots of attacks, it was because the opponent was at a skill level vastly inferior to mine. The only way I've beat any GOWK squads where the opponent was of relatively similar skill, was when I was running one of the popular counter squads that have been tossed around (Vong, B&B, or Rebel Push), AND I got fairly lucky with my rolls.

No one has ever said that you can't kill him. We've just said that he's tougher to kill than any other piece in the game has ever been.

EDIT: Corrected a couple typos.
awesome
Posted: Wednesday, June 3, 2009 2:33:13 AM

Dash and rex also go down easy because of there hp and defense, Im not saying that GOWK wont beat Plagueis, Im saying it would probably be a half and half game between them, they would be about even.
LoboStele
Posted: Wednesday, June 3, 2009 2:44:55 AM

awesome wrote:
Dash and rex also go down easy because of there hp and defense, Im not saying that GOWK wont beat Plagueis, Im saying it would probably be a half and half game between them, they would be about even.

I'm sorry, but you obviously haven't faced a very competent GOWK/Rex/Dash player then. You'll be forced to use Corruption on GOWK or Ugos or the Bodyguard before you'd get to Dash/Rex. Or heck, you might not be able to do any because Corruption doesn't work on Droids, so if I can force you to only be able to target R2 or a Mouse Droid, then you're screwed completely.

And you're still failing to acknowledge the fact that Plagueis WILL NOT survive the 3 rounds necessary to kill GOWK. I would predict that in most games he'd be LUCKY to survive long enough to hit GOWK twice with corruption. There's no way an even semi-good GOWK player would let you kill GOWK with Corruption before Dash/Rex absolutely shred Plagueis. It just isn't going to happen.

I understand you don't believe what I'm trying to tell you. I'm more than willing to get on Vassal and we can proxy pieces and I'll show you that it's MUCH tougher than you seem to think.
awesome
Posted: Wednesday, June 3, 2009 2:55:07 AM

LoboStele wrote:
awesome wrote:

I'm sorry, but you obviously haven't faced a very competent GOWK/Rex/Dash player then. You'll be forced to use Corruption on GOWK or Ugos or the Bodyguard before you'd get to Dash/Rex. Or heck, you might not be able to do any because Corruption doesn't work on Droids, so if I can force you to only be able to target R2 or a Mouse Droid, then you're screwed completely.

And you're still failing to acknowledge the fact that Plagueis WILL NOT survive the 3 rounds necessary to kill GOWK. I would predict that in most games he'd be LUCKY to survive long enough to hit GOWK twice with corruption. There's no way an even semi-good GOWK player would let you kill GOWK with Corruption before Dash/Rex absolutely shred Plagueis. It just isn't going to happen.

I understand you don't believe what I'm trying to tell you. I'm more than willing to get on Vassal and we can proxy pieces and I'll show you that it's MUCH tougher than you seem to think.

U forget, Sid has lightning that would take care of r2 or any other crap pieces U try putting in the way, rex doesnt get obi's ce, dash isnt very good anyways, and who says that Id come to U?, U would have to come to me, id sit in gambit and force you to come out, and Plagueis would sit and get force points and so would sid,

It doesnt matter what you say, it WILL be close between the GOWK and Plagueis squad, U just dont want to think so because you probably play him all of the time so you just want to think that gowk, rex, dash are impossable kills they are not.
DurgeGenDaiHunter
Posted: Wednesday, June 3, 2009 3:04:02 AM

If you would have asked me about this a few sets ago I would have probably said Yes but now I say No because the new sets that get released are basically just as overpowered.

Here's a pretty good anti-GOWK squad IMHO.

Darth Sidious, Sith Master
Sith Heavy Assault Droid
Sith Heavy Assault Droid
T3-M4
R4 Astromech Droid
R5 Astromech Droid
Ugnaught Tech
Sith Guard

The SHAD's could do 4 attack's each plus pawn for another 4 attack's and GOWK would'nt be able to do much damage because Shields 2. IMHO Obi would last to long against that.ThumbsUp
LoboStele
Posted: Wednesday, June 3, 2009 3:19:04 AM

awesome wrote:
U forget, Sid has lightning that would take care of r2 or any other crap pieces U try putting in the way,

Oooh, OK.....

So, now, you have to move up Sidious, use Lightning to kill some fodder piece (which means I let you get within 12 of said fodder in the first place, which wouldn't happen easily), and THEN swap in Plagueis to go for the Corruption. And Hell will freeze over before any competent player will let you hit R2 with Lightning unless they were intentionally sacrificing him in order to kill something else.

So, OK cool, you do that, move up both Sidious and Plagueis within 6 of the whole GOWK squad. Even if you manage to put 70 on GOWK with the Lightning and Corruption....Rex and Dash are STILL going to unload on either Sidious or Plagueis. And if they can get to Sidious, you bet they're going to kill him instead of Plagueis, mostly for the fact that Sidious has only a 19 defense instead of Plagueis' 20.

You can't have your cake and eat it too. You can't just say "Oh, well, so and so has this ability which nerfs this other such-and-such thing". You have to think of it in terms of how it would play out turn by turn in a game. And when you stop to think about those things, it doesn't work nearly as easily as you're claiming. It just doesn't. Play some games with Plagueis and/or Sidious and you'll see.

Quote:
rex doesnt get obi's ce,

He doesn't need it. He needs 7's to hit Sidious, and 8's to hit Plaugueis when they're not in cover, and he has GMA/Double/Twin, which means he unloads 40-80 damage into you, and then you won't be able to target him because he's either behind a wall, or behind some other piece. Or he's too far away across the map for you to reach him.

Quote:
dash isnt very good anyways,

HAHAHAHAHAHAHA

Again, shows that you just don't have experience against a decent GOWK/Rex/Dash player. Dash is better than Rex in almost every way in a GOWK squad. He's a higher attack, higher defense (thanks to GOWK's CE), and he has Evade to boot. Dash is an EXCELLENT piece. You will see him in a LOT of top tier squads both now, and for months to come.

Quote:
and who says that Id come to U?, U would have to come to me, id sit in gambit and force you to come out,

Umm...I can sit in gambit too. And while you're sitting in gambit with Sidious and Plagueis building Force points, R2 is tow-cabling Rex or Dash around the map and pounding you or your fodder as often as possible. At 150 points, you will not be able to put a good enough ranged attacker in the squad to make a difference. Maybe someting you put in there will get off one or two shots on something, but it'll just get killed by Rex/Dash pretty quickly. So what you'll reasonbly have to run is the DP, DS, 9 pieces of fodder like I described previously, and then you have not only no ranged defenses, you have no ranged offenses either. Good luck killing either Dash or Rex in a game like that, let alone both of them, before they kill at least Plagueis or Sidious. You'll either have to come out of hiding in gambit, or just sit there and get pummeled round after round.

Quote:
and Plagueis would sit and get force points and so would sid,

It doesn't matter how many Force Points you save up. You can only do Corruption or Lightning one time per round. And your Force Points do NOTHING for you against either Dash or Rex. NOTHING. You will use DS and DP's Force Points for Lightning, Corruption, or Pawn against a GOWK/Rex/Dash squad, and nothing else. Maybe a rare FP for a Parry re-roll, but unlikely.

Quote:
It doesnt matter what you say, it WILL be close between the GOWK and Plagueis squad, U just dont want to think so because you probably play him all of the time so you just want to think that gowk, rex, dash are impossable kills they are not.

This has nothing to do with what I want GOWK to be. It has to do with what he is. I actually DON'T want GOWK to be as good as he his. I want his card to be changed, or for him to get banned, or something. I hate what he's done to the game right now.

The only reason I continue discussions like this is so that people understand why some of us are so adamant about calling for him to be banned.

And again, nobody has ever said that GOWK, Rex, or Dash were impossible to kill. They are all quite killable. It's just that it takes fairly specific things to kill them. Darth Plagueis is not one of those things.
LoboStele
Posted: Wednesday, June 3, 2009 3:22:41 AM

DurgeGenDaiHunter wrote:
Put the new Sidious with a SHAD or 2 and use Pawn Of The Dark Side them. The SHAD's could do 4 attack's each plus pawn for another 4 attack's. I don't think Obi would last to long against that.ThumbsUp

Well, the SHAD is only a +10 attack, and Obi is a 26 in cover. So the SHAD needs a 16 or higher to hit GOWK.

So, on average, the SHAD is going to hit 1 out of 4 attacks in a single turn. Want to take a guess on how much damage GOWK would actually take from that?

If you guessed zero, you'd be correct.

Even hitting 2 out of 8 attacks, GOWK makes his save against one of them, on average, and then maybe has to spend a Force Point on the other save.

And you're in deep trouble if the GOWK squad is packing a JWM, because he's a 27 in cover, so even tougher to hit, lol.

In contrast, even with cover, Rex only needs 8's to hit the SHAD, and Dash only needs 6's, so the SHAD is likely going to get hit at least 2 times be Rex and 3 times by Dash every round, and with average rolling, that's still 50 damage getting through the Shields per round. The SHAD barely lasts 2 to 3 rounds at that point. Not nearly enough to actually kill GOWK.
DurgeGenDaiHunter
Posted: Wednesday, June 3, 2009 3:33:25 AM

LoboStele wrote:
DurgeGenDaiHunter wrote:
Put the new Sidious with a SHAD or 2 and use Pawn Of The Dark Side them. The SHAD's could do 4 attack's each plus pawn for another 4 attack's. I don't think Obi would last to long against that.ThumbsUp

Quote:

Well, the SHAD is only a +10 attack, and Obi is a 26 in cover. So the SHAD needs a 16 or higher to hit GOWK.

So, on average, the SHAD is going to hit 1 out of 4 attacks in a single turn. Want to take a guess on how much damage GOWK would actually take from that?

[quote]If you guessed zero, you'd be correct.

Even hitting 2 out of 8 attacks, GOWK makes his save against one of them, on average, and then maybe has to spend a Force Point on the other save.

And you're in deep trouble if the GOWK squad is packing a JWM, because he's a 27 in cover, so even tougher to hit, lol.

In contrast, even with cover, Rex only needs 8's to hit the SHAD, and Dash only needs 6's, so the SHAD is likely going to get hit at least 2 times be Rex and 3 times by Dash every round, and with average rolling, that's still 50 damage getting through the Shields per round. The SHAD barely lasts 2 to 3 rounds at that point. Not nearly enough to actually kill GOWK.

I had already edited my previous post before this was posted look up I added a r4 so the SHAD's would basically hit 50% of the time. The Shields 2 the R5 and the Ugnaught Tech would make it so obi would do basically nothing and with t3 I could use flamethrower and I could use sidious's lightning. Now GOWK would be most likely dead in 2 turns and would be dead in 3 turns. And as for Rex and Dash they only do 20 damage per hit which if I got Shields 50% of the time they would only do 10 damage per hit. Rex has 70Hp 16D 20Din cover and Dash has 70Hp 15D 19D in cover. the SHAD's would have 14 attack with R4 which would say had a good day to Rex and Dash.Smile
awesome
Posted: Wednesday, June 3, 2009 4:10:27 AM

LoboStele wrote:
awesome wrote:
U forget, Sid has lightning that would take care of r2 or any other crap pieces U try putting in the way,

Oooh, OK.....

So, now, you have to move up Sidious, use Lightning to kill some fodder piece (which means I let you get within 12 of said fodder in the first place, which wouldn't happen easily), and THEN swap in Plagueis to go for the Corruption. And Hell will freeze over before any competent player will let you hit R2 with Lightning unless they were intentionally sacrificing him in order to kill something else.

So, OK cool, you do that, move up both Sidious and Plagueis within 6 of the whole GOWK squad. Even if you manage to put 70 on GOWK with the Lightning and Corruption....Rex and Dash are STILL going to unload on either Sidious or Plagueis. And if they can get to Sidious, you bet they're going to kill him instead of Plagueis, mostly for the fact that Sidious has only a 19 defense instead of Plagueis' 20.

You can't have your cake and eat it too. You can't just say "Oh, well, so and so has this ability which nerfs this other such-and-such thing". You have to think of it in terms of how it would play out turn by turn in a game. And when you stop to think about those things, it doesn't work nearly as easily as you're claiming. It just doesn't. Play some games with Plagueis and/or Sidious and you'll see.

Quote:
rex doesnt get obi's ce,

He doesn't need it. He needs 7's to hit Sidious, and 8's to hit Plaugueis when they're not in cover, and he has GMA/Double/Twin, which means he unloads 40-80 damage into you, and then you won't be able to target him because he's either behind a wall, or behind some other piece. Or he's too far away across the map for you to reach him.

Quote:
dash isnt very good anyways,

HAHAHAHAHAHAHA

Again, shows that you just don't have experience against a decent GOWK/Rex/Dash player. Dash is better than Rex in almost every way in a GOWK squad. He's a higher attack, higher defense (thanks to GOWK's CE), and he has Evade to boot. Dash is an EXCELLENT piece. You will see him in a LOT of top tier squads both now, and for months to come.

Quote:
and who says that Id come to U?, U would have to come to me, id sit in gambit and force you to come out,

Umm...I can sit in gambit too. And while you're sitting in gambit with Sidious and Plagueis building Force points, R2 is tow-cabling Rex or Dash around the map and pounding you or your fodder as often as possible. At 150 points, you will not be able to put a good enough ranged attacker in the squad to make a difference. Maybe someting you put in there will get off one or two shots on something, but it'll just get killed by Rex/Dash pretty quickly. So what you'll reasonbly have to run is the DP, DS, 9 pieces of fodder like I described previously, and then you have not only no ranged defenses, you have no ranged offenses either. Good luck killing either Dash or Rex in a game like that, let alone both of them, before they kill at least Plagueis or Sidious. You'll either have to come out of hiding in gambit, or just sit there and get pummeled round after round.

Quote:
and Plagueis would sit and get force points and so would sid,

It doesn't matter how many Force Points you save up. You can only do Corruption or Lightning one time per round. And your Force Points do NOTHING for you against either Dash or Rex. NOTHING. You will use DS and DP's Force Points for Lightning, Corruption, or Pawn against a GOWK/Rex/Dash squad, and nothing else. Maybe a rare FP for a Parry re-roll, but unlikely.

Quote:

This has nothing to do with what I want GOWK to be. It has to do with what he is. I actually DON'T want GOWK to be as good as he his. I want his card to be changed, or for him to get banned, or something. I hate what he's done to the game right now.

The only reason I continue discussions like this is so that people understand why some of us are so adamant about calling for him to be banned.

And again, nobody has ever said that GOWK, Rex, or Dash were impossible to kill. They are all quite killable. It's just that it takes fairly specific things to kill them. Darth Plagueis is not one of those things.

All Ive been saying was it WILL be close between those 2 squads, Im not stupid when it comes to this, I dont just let you get line of sight to me, you wont be able to without putting yourself in a position to get killed,

I agree that GOWK should get banned or something, or at least cost 20-30 points more,

but it will be close rex and dash arnt going to be the key factors when they themselves are easy to kill. they have low enough HP that they would die in 1 round.
billiv15
Posted: Wednesday, June 3, 2009 4:50:27 AM

awesome wrote:
All Ive been saying was it WILL be close between those 2 squads, Im not stupid when it comes to this, I dont just let you get line of sight to me, you wont be able to without putting yourself in a position to get killed,
No, it really wouldn't be close at all. I could win the game in 4 rounds, while watching my two year old, dealing with my dogs, and making dinner.

awesome wrote:
I agree that GOWK should get banned or something, or at least cost 20-30 points more,
Ok, fair enough.

awesome wrote:
but it will be close rex and dash arnt going to be the key factors when they themselves are easy to kill. they have low enough HP that they would die in 1 round.
It won't be close against a good player. And Rex and Dash if used are key players in the game. You clearly have no concept of how a good player runs an interference type build, and therefore, have little frame of reference.

I suggest this. Since you are unwilling to even accept what your own poll has made quite clear (that basically no one agrees with you that DP is the answer), then do the following:

1. Actually make a 150pt or 200pt squad.

2. Challenge a competent player willing to play you with GOWK (should be someone we know so that a frame of reference is built - not the all too common, "Great player at my store, former world champ of Pokemon".

3. Play a game with them, share the results and prove it.

Arguing with every counter that someone posts just makes you look like you don't know how to play the game, when your answers are "wrong". I mean seriously. DP DS would get the floor mopped with it by a competent GOWK squad, heck, by most every other top tier squad. In 150 who do you think you are kidding?

As to the Shad squad idea, you can't hit Obi period. R4 isn't going to make the difference - plus it's 20hps makes it an easy kill. I suggest you too try it out before you claim it's the answer.

Some math for you.

Let's just start with the assumption that I as the GOWK player am incredibly stupid, and that everything I do, sets you up to unload on me. So all of the following are true.

I leave Obi out alone, as the only legal target in cover, and I sit there round after round, never doing anything else. I don't try to kill your R4, even though it's 20hps makes it an easy target, I don't try to set up a push, nothing. I just sit in cover. How many rounds would it take to kill Obi?

12 attacks per round, +14 vs 26d.

You need 12s to hit. 55% of your shots fail to hit. 55% = 6.6 shots hitting Obi per round.

Of those 6.6 shots, 3.3 will be Soresued away without FPs. So that leaves 3.3 per round.

We will assume Obi uses FPs at an average of 1-3 per round (starts with 2, renewal should have him at about 4-5 when this insane volley I have created begins and he continues to gain one per round). So an average of 1.5 per round is consistent.

So of those 3.3 that hit, and SSM fails, 1-2 are likely to get removed by SSM reroll with mettle. Remember, mettle stacks, so if Obi were to use a FP to reroll the second hit and make the save, then the 4th on that same turn also gets through, if he uses another FP, it's now a +8 to his saves. Spending 1 FP per attack (assuming for the moment, that all three hits come on different turns) means that Obi on average takes less than one hit. Now, with mettle stacking, and the odds that sometimes the second hit might be on the same Shad's turn, means that even less actually do cause damage.

Doing the math, this means that on average, you get .5 (rounded to make it simple) shots per round to actually land damage on Obi.

Which means, with Obi sitting out in cover, and his entire squad doing nothing, you need 24 rounds of 12 attacks per round to get to the mathematical average needed to kill Obi.

Now, let's step back and allow the Obi player to actually do something. Game over. I don't really care what shields do, you aren't going to win unless you are really really lucky that game.
LoboStele
Posted: Wednesday, June 3, 2009 5:22:03 AM

Billiv15 said pretty much everything I would say.

The reality is, sure, Rex and Dash are weak pieces on their own. But you are proposing to try and kill Rex and Dash with Darth Plagueis and Darth Sidious. Neither of which can attack at a distance further than 6 squares, and neither of which can do more than one melee attack after they've moved. And any competent GOWK player will make you waste your Force Power attacks on pieces other than Dash or Rex.

What we're trying to say is, it doesn't matter how weak they are. You can't just say "Oh, well, Rex only has 70 HP, and he has a 16 defense, so he's easy to kill". He's easy to kill with what? How? What moves would you do that would allow you to successfully kill Rex? And could you do it CONSISTENTLY, from one game to the next. THAT is the true measure of an 'anti-' or 'counter' squad idea. It has to be consistently repeatable. Not something you pull off on a fluke against a player who doesn't know what they're doing.

As for the SHAD squad, again Billiv15 pointed out the problems. And you can't say that you'll be putting Sidious close enough to Lightning GOWK, because then you fall right into the situation I was pointing out earlier, where Dash/Rex blow holes in Sidious. Plus, if you use Lightning with Sidious, then you're not using Pawn of the Dark Side, which decreases even further the actual # of hits being landed on GOWK.

Quote:
Darth Sidious, Sith Master
Sith Heavy Assault Droid
Sith Heavy Assault Droid
T3-M4
R4 Astromech Droid
R5 Astromech Droid
Ugnaught Tech
Sith Guard

That squad has 8 activations, at 200 points. It isn't horrible in that sense, but even the smallest GOWK squads we're typically seeing win consistently have 6 activations at 150 points, so certainly more than 8 at 200 points. Probably more like 11-12 at a minimum. Plus, we don't know exactly how the R4's ability works at this point anyways, and since the SHADs don't have Accurate, they'll have to shoot whatever is in front, which will sometimes mean Mouse Droids, or JWMs, or any number of different things.
awesome
Posted: Wednesday, June 3, 2009 6:06:49 AM

@billiv15, U know how would U win in 4 rounds if it takes at least 2 to get to each other? no.

R U kidding your self? if your so dependent on Rex/Dash once they die you wont be able to do anything, I mean really both have 60-70 hp so that will take 1 corruption and a lightning from sid, and either to both are dead(depending on there hp),

no GOWK is for sissy's who dont really know how to play so I suggest finding another alternative,

billiv15 is GOWK all you guys play? all but 1 time that Ive seen it ran at our place it got defeated, it didnt get 1st place so I dont think it would get "mopped" it would again be a close game especially since sith are not one of the "top tier" squads,

Rex and Dash have no way of defending themselves against melee, or corruption, or lightning, etc.

NO i dont like using the SHAD concept above, I think if you did play me U wouldnt think "oh he doesnt know what hes talking about" or "oh he doesnt know how to play since he thinks that GOWK and rex and dash are not that good" no, when I played GOWK both times I won with 0 auto damage.