RegisterDonateLogin

Can beat Deep Blue at Dejarik.

Welcome Guest Active Topics | Members

Poll Question : is darth Plagueis the new anti-GOWK?
Choice Votes Statistics
Yes 9 17.307692 %
No 43 82.692307 %

New Anti GOWK? Options
billiv15
Posted: Wednesday, June 3, 2009 6:32:21 AM
Groups: Member

awesome wrote:
@billiv15, U know how would U win in 4 rounds if it takes at least 2 to get to each other? no.
4 rounds and the game would be effectively over. It does not take me at least 2 rounds to get to you.

awesome wrote:
R U kidding your self?
"Are you kidding yourself" is what I believe you meant to say here. We are not texting each other here. And to answer, no I am not.

awesome wrote:
if your so dependent on Rex/Dash once they die you wont be able to do anything,
First, how am I being "dependent"? And second, you aren't going to kill either one unless I let you (and yes, there are reasons I would let you in a given game).

awesome wrote:
I mean really both have 60-70 hp so that will take 1 corruption and a lightning from sid, and either to both are dead(depending on there hp),
Ah, now I see the light. Clearly I am ignorant of how to count spaces, how to place my guys properly, how to use tow cable, when to move away, when to use GMA, etc. Oh wait, no I'm not. You aren't going to get both of those off on Dash or Rex unless I royally screw up. And in general, I don't royally screw up too often.

awesome wrote:
no GOWK is for sissy's who dont really know how to play so I suggest finding another alternative,
Ooh and your mother is so fat, when she sits around the house, she sits "around" the house. Oh were we not trading insults? My bad. There is no morality attached to playing or not playing any legal piece in the game. A good player can run GOWK, a bad player can run GOWK. I think it's safe to say, that I am not a ,"sissy who dont really know how to play" so that's really a pretty stupid statement for you to make.

awesome wrote:
billiv15 is GOWK all you guys play?
No, where did you get that idea? You started a thread about GOWK, and then are confused about why we are discussing GOWK? That's pretty funny.

awesome wrote:
all but 1 time that Ive seen it ran at our place it got defeated, it didnt get 1st place
Um so?

awesome wrote:
so I dont think it would get "mopped" it would again be a close game especially since sith are not one of the "top tier" squads,
It would by me.

awesome wrote:
Rex and Dash have no way of defending themselves against melee, or corruption, or lightning, etc.
Double, twin, Greater mobile, activation advantage, and R2 tow cable all come to mind. Then there is the human factor, such as knowing the figures, knowing placement, knowing when to act, where to move, how to set you up, how to block you, using doors, terrain and figure rotation properly. That's more than enough defense.

awesome wrote:
I think if you did play me U wouldnt think "oh he doesnt know what hes talking about" or "oh he doesnt know how to play
I am fairly certain that I wouldn't. You are welcome to hop on Vassal and prove me wrong.
Tirade
Posted: Wednesday, June 3, 2009 6:38:03 AM

Goodness. I think I will trust Bill and Lobo over awesome on this one. Sure, Plagueis has potential, but he is not the answer. I get the feeling awesome is arguing just to argue now Tongue .

BTW, I would love to see that Vassal game, Bill. Make sure to prepare dinner while you are playing too Wink .
shinja
Posted: Wednesday, June 3, 2009 7:00:17 AM
Groups: Administration

Alright, take it easy on the personal attacks, guys. So help me, I'll turn this BlooMilk around and go home...

This is a good discussion, but there's a line between arguing a point and attacking a person that is starting to be crossed.
DurgeGenDaiHunter
Posted: Wednesday, June 3, 2009 7:05:06 AM

Quote:
That squad has 8 activations, at 200 points. It isn't horrible in that sense, but even the smallest GOWK squads we're typically seeing win consistently have 6 activations at 150 points, so certainly more than 8 at 200 points. Probably more like 11-12 at a minimum. Plus, we don't know exactly how the R4's ability works at this point anyways, and since the SHADs don't have Accurate, they'll have to shoot whatever is in front, which will sometimes mean Mouse Droids, or JWMs, or any number of different things.

The SHAD's can mow basically anything pretty quick and they are hard to kill or get by so you may have more activations at first but not for long. IMHO

Quote:
What we're trying to say is, it doesn't matter how weak they are. You can't just say "Oh, well, Rex only has 70 HP, and he has a 16 defense, so he's easy to kill". He's easy to kill with what? How? What moves would you do that would allow you to successfully kill Rex? And could you do it CONSISTENTLY, from one game to the next. THAT is the true measure of an 'anti-' or 'counter' squad idea. It has to be consistently repeatable. Not something you pull off on a fluke against a player who doesn't know what they're doing.

I could use Pawn on a SHAD and move it 12 squares base one of them then activate the SHAD and attack 4 times I will probably hit 3 times so they will have 60 damage on them then Rex or Dash attack the SHAD and do on average 40 damage then I activate the SHAD again and kill Rex or Dash and attack another enemy with the last 2 attacks.
Quote:

As for the SHAD squad, again Billiv15 pointed out the problems. And you can't say that you'll be putting Sidious close enough to Lightning GOWK, because then you fall right into the situation I was pointing out earlier, where Dash/Rex blow holes in Sidious. Plus, if you use Lightning with Sidious, then you're not using Pawn of the Dark Side, which decreases even further the actual # of hits being landed on GOWK.

I have two SHAD's so I can just leave Sidious behind the second SHAD any one who comes close will get attacked with 4 attacks and will have to get through 120Hp and Shields 2 from a SHAD, T3 doing Flamethrower, and my repairers repairing the SHAD.

LoboStele
Posted: Wednesday, June 3, 2009 7:21:14 AM

I'm going to ignore the personal attack remarks in awesome's last post....but for the sake of the discussion, that's not the way to make anyone else respect your thoughts any better. It actually makes you look less credible.

Anyways...

awesome wrote:
all but 1 time that Ive seen it ran at our place it got defeated, it didnt get 1st place

LOL, I see you're from Lamar, so I'm guessing maybe you play with Dean's group. Let me guess, the times it got run at your LGS, Dean wasn't running it, was he? This is where you have to recognize the difference between the strength of the squad, and the strength of the player. If there's a big enough difference in skill level, it's a piece of cake to beat GOWK, because you are able to out-play the GOWK player. In that sense, you're not beating GOWK, you're beating the player. Big difference.

If you take the player skill out of the equation, or assume that both opponent's are of equal skill level, then it basically comes down to the math, or to the basic game mechanics like counting squares, targeting, etc. If you just consider those factors, it's much easier to see the conclusions we draw.

awesome wrote:
so I dont think it would get "mopped" it would again be a close game especially since sith are not one of the "top tier" squads,

So...Sith are not one of the 'top tier' squads, but GOWK is....so that means Sith could stand a chance against it? OK, so maybe the GOWK squad wouldn't "mop up" against the DS/DP combo (which, I still agree with billi15, that GOWK would mop up, but I'm willing to think otherwise for discussion sake). In order to claim that something is "anti-GOWK" it has to be able to compete with GOWK with consistency. That's what we're arguing here. Yes, fluke games are going to happen where a Sith player beats the GOWK player. Yes, matchups will happen where the Sith player is a much higher skill level. But that doesn't prove that the squad is better, it just reinforces the fact that the player is better.

It seems to me like you are still not grasping that difference, and that perhaps your experience with GOWK is severely skewed because the difference in player skill was so large whenever you've seen GOWK played.

Get on Vassal, watch some games, play some games against people who know are top players. You'll see it doesn't work the way you think it will.

awesome wrote:
Rex and Dash have no way of defending themselves against melee, or corruption, or lightning, etc.

And AGAIN, I will say, that Rex and Dash have more than enough in their arsenal to keep them from getting hit that way. Just about any Sith squad you come up with that features BOTH Plagueis and Sidious...any Republic build will out-activate you. So, you will struggle to ever get close enough to use Lightning or Corruption on Rex/Dash. And I will mention this AGAIN as well. You won't be able to use Lightning on Rex/Dash because a smart Republic player will put pieces like Ugnaughts, Mouse Droids, or heck, even GOWK, in the way to force you to target him instead. It DOES NOT MATTER how fragile Rex or Dash are or how easy it is to kill them. Plagueis and Sidious do not have the tools necessary to kill Rex/Dash consistently. Now, maybe if Sidious had Master Speed so that he could move 12 and still Lightning it might be tougher to defend against, but that's not how it is. Even if it was, it would just require some higher square counting on the part of the Republic player.

awesome wrote:
when I played GOWK both times I won with 0 auto damage.

Sure, so have I. But it's either been against people of vastly lower skill (and where I still almost lost in 1 or 2 of those, lol), or I've been playing either the Vong or B&B squads that have been fairly well proven to be semi-decent counters to GOWK. Just because you beat X player means jack squat. I could give GOWK to my cat and play a game against him and say that I beat him, but it means nothing.
LoboStele
Posted: Wednesday, June 3, 2009 7:30:33 AM

DurgeGenDaiHunter wrote:

The SHAD's can mow basically anything pretty quick and they are hard to kill or get by so you may have more activations at first but not for long. IMHO

I could use Pawn on a SHAD and move it 12 squares base one of them then activate the SHAD and attack 4 times I will probably hit 3 times so they will have 60 damage on them then Rex or Dash attack the SHAD and do on average 40 damage then I activate the SHAD again and kill Rex or Dash and attack another enemy with the last 2 attacks.

I have two SHAD's so I can just leave Sidious behind the second SHAD any one who comes close will get attacked with 4 attacks and will have to get through 120Hp and Shields 2 from a SHAD, T3 doing Flamethrower, and my repairers repairing the SHAD.

Maybe you missed Bill's posts about the statistics, but basically all a GOWK player has to do is put GOWK up front, and make him the only legal target for your SHAD's the entire time. Your SHADs will take more damage than GOWK will, no question there.

And certainly, it depends on the map, but there are plenty of maps where you wouldn't be able to move the SHADs past GOWK in order to even get to Rex/Dash. If the GOWK player moves Rex/Dash close enough that you can do a Pawn/Move 12 to base, then the GOWK player made a stupid mistake. It's not one I would make in that situation.

Of course, this is also assuming that the SHAD survives after it's that close. At 200 points, can a SHAD survive 6 attacks by Jedi (GOWK plus two JWMs with Assault), plus 8 attacks from Rex/Dash? Especially when the highest roll any of those pieces need to even hit the SHAD is a 4? You're looking at potential 280 damage. Even if only half of that gets through, and 1 or two attacks miss, that's still plenty to kill the SHAD. Maybe you get lucky enough to kill Rex or Dash in your first rush, that's still 10 attacks for potential 200 damage. Unless you're rolling REALLY hot on your saves, that SHAD will still be dead pretty quick the next round.

So now you'd have Sidious and 1 SHAD left, against the whole GOWK squad. Oh, and you just traded your 49 point SHAD for either Rex or Dash, for a max of 33 points. So you sacrificed 1 out of your 3 main pieces, to actually fall behind in points. So now what do you do with your other SHAD? Do you rush Rex too? Maybe you kill Rex the next round, but you need a lot more attacks than that to finish off GOWK and both the JWMs.

The mathematics say that this squad can't do it. And the math says "No", even without including the fact that it's fairly easy to defend against a squad like that, and quite a few maps will even further hinder a squad like that. Maybe some other variant of Sidious/SHAD, but I haven't played with it yet. Would probably need some other more varied pieces rather than the 2nd SHAD though.
dnemiller
Posted: Wednesday, June 3, 2009 8:22:02 AM

@Awesome,

I will be glad to play against you using Gowk. I really dont mind at all. We can play whatever point level you like. Bring your squad you can proxy in your JA pieces and I will proxy in any JA pieces I want. I can do this this week if you would like. We can record the game or whatever doesnt matter to me.
Sithfan
Posted: Wednesday, June 3, 2009 8:57:26 AM

Speaking of anti-GWOK (Well more specifically anti-SSM), when do you guys think that the Elite AT-AT Driver will be legal for DCI tournament play?
dnemiller
Posted: Wednesday, June 3, 2009 9:10:01 AM

Sithfan wrote:
Speaking of anti-GWOK (Well more specifically anti-SSM), when do you guys think that the Elite AT-AT Driver will be legal for DCI tournament play?

Well since I am the SWM DCI Cotent Manager I guess I can answer this one as it really is my baby or problem.

The Elite AT-AT Driver will be addressed in the upcoming Floor Rules Update slated for release on July 1 2009
awesome
Posted: Wednesday, June 3, 2009 9:40:20 AM

hmm, I dont think that I said any personal attacks to anyone, sorry if I did,

but I want to know why you all think that Plagueis isnt a anti GOWK not anti rex or dash(because they are about all that have been spoken of) the main question was is Plagueis the new anti-GOWK, not anti GOWK squad.

Its a discussion not argument, the main question was for 1 on 1 but somehow it got turned into a whole squad discussion/argument, I think though that the reason that you guys want to argue is because you dont want to believe that GOWK is beatable.
dnemiller
Posted: Wednesday, June 3, 2009 9:50:18 AM

awesome wrote:
hmm, I dont think that I said any personal attacks to anyone, sorry if I did,

but I want to know why you all think that Plagueis isnt a anti GOWK not anti rex or dash(because they are about all that have been spoken of) the main question was is Plagueis the new anti-GOWK, not anti GOWK squad.

Its a discussion not argument, the main question was for 1 on 1 but somehow it got turned into a whole squad discussion/argument, I think though that the reason that you guys want to argue is because you dont want to believe that GOWK is beatable.

Well the problem with your slant is the game is not a one on one game. This is a squad based game. Always has and always will. The whole reason Gowk is a problem is he was playtested in a one on one fashion. He was playtested and costed based on how he performed against Dooku of Serrano. One on one Gowk is not very good against Dooku. But that is a flaw in playtesting. Now you are asking us to repeat that mistake and just consider him in a one on one basis.

Well that does not fit the game.

But let's do that. Let's consider them in a one on one game. I am going to use Gowk to run around to like crazy and collect gambit and stay to far away for you to ever get the corruption off on me. Man that sounds like freeze tag more than a tactical game.

Quite simply a Gowk squad would own your Sith squad.

Just because it works at Lamar does not translate to good.

I remember running an uggie bomb squad there once and beating everyone. I dont think we will see that winning any big events anytime soon. I can remember a time I ran all melee at Lamar and won walking away without a loss.

You are basing what you think is strong based on your performance against players that you know beforehand what they are going to do. That does not make pieces powerful. It means either you are better than them or they are incompetent.

I also think at times you have had some misconceptions on how certain portions of the game work. Like stacking spotter 20 dmg.

That venue has always struggled with targetting. Most of that is not your fault but the fault of Daniel coming to play occasionally. When he is there he uses RPG targetting rules. He also uses RPG rules when determining defense as he tries to give a bonus for his character being engaged in melee combat (which is an RPG rule not swm)
billiv15
Posted: Wednesday, June 3, 2009 9:53:12 AM

awesome wrote:
Its a discussion not argument, the main question was for 1 on 1
I don't play 1 on 1 games, nor do I care all that much who would win. What's there interesting to discuss in that set up?

awesome wrote:
I think though that the reason that you guys want to argue is because you dont want to believe that GOWK is beatable.
Well that's kinda silly. I think anyone who knows us would know that's not true. Got anything better than that?
awesome
Posted: Wednesday, June 3, 2009 9:57:52 AM

@dnemiller I dont think I played against you uggie bomb squad, actually I dont really think we played all that much before you left,

that is kind of strange though that one on one is what they tested GOWK for, do they do that for every piece?

I only did that spotter thing once, and about a month after is when I realized you couldnt do that

and how would it work at Lamar if Plagueis isnt even out yet?
awesome
Posted: Wednesday, June 3, 2009 10:01:48 AM

billiv15 wrote:
awesome wrote:
Its a discussion not argument, the main question was for 1 on 1
I don't play 1 on 1 games, nor do I care all that much who would win. What's there interesting to discuss in that set up?

awesome wrote:
I think though that the reason that you guys want to argue is because you dont want to believe that GOWK is beatable.
Well that's kinda silly. I think anyone who knows us would know that's not true. Got anything better than that?

how is that silly if I dont know you?

wait...so if it is silly about the argument thing, than you just like arguing.

I am saying that so far, Plagueis is the best anti GOWK character, unless you want to show me a different.
Omnus
Posted: Wednesday, June 3, 2009 10:02:37 AM

I think I would probably prefer 2-3 sith lords over Darth P. Only cool thing is that fc4 could kill rex or dash in one shot if they fail the save.

Lightning also helps put down r2 and even fc3 has no effect on r2 because he is a droid.
awesome
Posted: Wednesday, June 3, 2009 10:08:44 AM

Omnus wrote:
I think I would probably prefer 2-3 sith lords over Darth P. Only cool thing is that fc4 could kill rex or dash in one shot if they fail the save.

Lightning also helps put down r2 and even fc3 has no effect on r2 because he is a droid.

Yeah, but I think the apprentice's are better than the lord's because of throw 2, but that wont do to much against GOWK, auto damage is good, thats why Plagueis is ment mainly for GOWK or any other pesky characters.
mercenary_moose
Posted: Wednesday, June 3, 2009 10:10:29 AM

Let's put this whole GOWK-Plaguelis argument and billiv-awesome war to an end:

Plaguelis isn't the answer to beating General Obi-Wan Kenobi

I think that we have enough evidence to prove that on this thread. Plaguelis may be able to take GOWK alone, but with support, it isn't even a contest.

Thread closed.
billiv15
Posted: Wednesday, June 3, 2009 10:17:12 AM

mercenary_moose wrote:

There was no war. We were just having fun. If you are unable to remain emotionally unattached from a fun online discussion with a little bit of trash talking, then I suggest not reading it.

Who was getting upset by it? I wasn't. I don't think awesome was. I know Dean and Lobo weren't. It's all in good fun guys, just relax a little.

I guess it might help if you all knew that Dean knows Awesome from Lamar, but then again, this is the internet, and people do get a little bit overexcited from time to time. :)
mercenary_moose
Posted: Wednesday, June 3, 2009 10:18:28 AM

billiv15 wrote:
mercenary_moose wrote:

There was no war. We were just having fun. If you are unable to remain emotionally unattached from a fun online discussion with a little bit of trash talking, then I suggest not reading it.

Who was getting upset by it? I wasn't. I don't think awesome was. I know Dean and Lobo weren't. It's all in good fun guys, just relax a little.

I guess it might help if you all knew that Dean knows Awesome from Lamar, but then again, this is the internet, and people do get a little bit overexcited from time to time. :)

Do I really think that this was a war? I just put it that way because I couldn't think of any better phrasing. Take it with a grain of salt.
Omnus
Posted: Wednesday, June 3, 2009 10:19:45 AM

awesome wrote:
Omnus wrote:

Yeah, but I think the apprentice's are better than the lord's because of throw 2, but that wont do to much against GOWK, auto damage is good, thats why Plagueis is ment mainly for GOWK or any other pesky characters.

I think the extra 10 hp, and the combination of assault, force lightning 2 and 4 force makes the sith lord alot more useful. Throw 2 is decent and I like the Darth Bandon looking figure...honestly I may end up with a combination, just depending on how many points I have available in the squad.