RegisterDonateLogin

A Target Exclusive.

Welcome Guest Active Topics | Members

Poll Question : What did you think about the movie?
Choice Votes Statistics
Best Star Wars Thing Ever (Awesome)! 6 13.636363 %
Really Good, but has some flaws (good) 21 47.727272 %
Ok, not as good as old stuff (meh) 10 22.727272 %
A Nice first try, better luck next time (poor) 5 11.363636 %
Not good at all (awefull) 2 4.545454 %
Worse than rolling a 1 against Kreia :( 0 0.000000 %

Star Wars Episode VII Thumbs up or down? Options
Gungan Batman Clone
Posted: Monday, December 28, 2015 5:26:47 PM
Groups: Member

So since we're all obviously the Star Wars super guys who know all the old canon, and since there's been a lot of discussion about the movie lately. I figured I'd start a poll! What do you think!
CorellianComedian
Posted: Monday, December 28, 2015 6:10:03 PM

I thought it carried on the spirit of the Original Trilogy quite well - much better than the Prequel Trilogy did, in my humble opinion.

It was cheesy at parts, but that's what made the original Star Wars movies so great: you didn't mind the cheesiness because you were having so much fun. They lost that in the Prequels (*cough, cough* Anakin/Padme dialogue *cough*).
juice man
Posted: Monday, December 28, 2015 7:21:21 PM

Really wanted to vote for "Worse than rolling a 1 against Kreia :( " Just because it's funny, but voted for "meh".
ARCTrooper-A79
Posted: Monday, December 28, 2015 10:15:10 PM

I enjoyed it thoroughly, and I have high hopes for Episode VIII.ThumbsUp
A side note, though. Does anyone have any idea where the name 'Snoke' came from? Was it something they pulled from one of Lucas's old drafts? It just sounds silly to me.
Mando
Posted: Tuesday, December 29, 2015 5:50:52 AM

ThumpUp

Rey was probably my favorite part of the movie. She is such a great character! Really curious to see more about her past and also I really am looking forward to see her train with Luke. Great movie! I'd rank all of the star wars movies in this order, from best to worst.

1-Empire Strikes Back (great movie, great story, great character developement! not perfect, but its the best film imo of the whole series)
2-A New Hope (the original, so major props for setting up the universe and a great villian. good movie)
3-The Force Awakens (good movie, great acting! Only small gripe is how it copied some scenes from Empire Strikes back and Empire Strikes Back, but it was harmless. The stroy is about Rey and they delivered that well!)
4-Return of the Jedi (good movie, but it seems like 2 seperate 1 hour movies with a small intermission. Didn't feel quite complete to me. Ewoks (teddy bears with spears) are what puts it below the Force Awakens
5-The Phantom Menace (good ideas just poor acting. Loved the intro of new planets, the sith, Battle droids and Jedi Order)
6-Revenge of the Sith (below Phantom because they just about ruined Vader and palpatine. Thank goodness for Star Wars The Clone Wars and Star Wars Rebels for making anakin/Vader great and interesting again)
7-Attack of the Clones (i truly, deeply despise this movie)
CerousMutor
Posted: Tuesday, December 29, 2015 6:53:32 AM

In order of how good they are.

V, VII, VI, IV (Star Wars: Revisited version.)
donnyrides
Posted: Tuesday, December 29, 2015 7:07:44 AM

I'm an over-critical person but for all the hype and time that went into this movie, they should have come up with a better plot instead of merging Phantom Menace's force sensitive orphan from random desert planet with A New Hope's planet killing base being destroyed by dropping it's shields and X-wings firing at it.

Kylo Ren was a worse let down than Darth Maul. I feel like the mask and LS were inserted to sell toys and had very little to do with anything. He got beat in a LS fight by somebody who hasn't touched an LS in her life.

They didn't wrap up their out for the next installment in the series very well because as the viewer is watching, we've been given a timeline of: Ren gets smoked and is laying in the snow. Rey escapes in the falcon as the planet blows up. Snoke tells Hux to get Ren and it's time to continue his training....Well the planet gone and so are Hux and Ren, so I don't understand how they escape?

If I throw all that out and judge based on visuals and acting, it was pretty good. Rey and Finn are great together and act like people really would, they get excited together when things go their way. The best actor was the best actor, Harrison Ford. Sad to see his char get killed off but I'm glad they did it the way they did instead of letting him be alive and never to be seen again. Gives us closure.

Best scene: In 3D it was when Ren stops the blaster shot in mid air and leaves it there. Then camera pans around the blaster from a high side angle and shifts around it from the top. The 3D depth it provided was really cool. The star destroying moving right overtop of the viewers heads was pretty good too.

In the end, for $8 in 3D, it was a great watch. I give it 8xBlooMilk out of 10
Valon Sasaki
Posted: Tuesday, December 29, 2015 7:10:07 AM

juice man wrote:
Really wanted to vote for "Worse than rolling a 1 against Kreia :( " Just because it's funny, but voted for "meh".

I had the same problem...
juice man
Posted: Tuesday, December 29, 2015 7:17:23 AM

donnyrides wrote:
Kylo Ren was a worse let down than Darth Maul. I feel like the mask and LS were inserted to sell toys and had very little to do with anything. He got beat in a LS fight by somebody who hasn't touched an LS in her life.

In the end, for $8 in 3D, it was a great watch. I give it 8xBlooMilk out of 10
I suppose that Kylo couldn't be good with a LS, or Disney wouldn't have a next movie. At least Rey was a competent fighter with a staff.

Maybe they should have spent more time on a good plot than 3-D effects?

And what is it about male Skywalkers that their right hands can not stay attached to their wrists?
donnyrides
Posted: Tuesday, December 29, 2015 7:19:58 AM

Question: I've seen the movie twice now and I can't tell if Kylo's hand gets cut off or if his LS gets cut in half? Anybody have an answer to this? I spent all lunch hour yesterday with my friends discussing this.
Mando
Posted: Tuesday, December 29, 2015 7:33:05 AM

donnyrides wrote:
Question: I've seen the movie twice now and I can't tell if Kylo's hand gets cut off or if his LS gets cut in half? Anybody have an answer to this? I spent all lunch hour yesterday with my friends discussing this.

I was paying attention the second time through to the fight a bit more to see if Ren lost a limb. It looks like he didn't. He didn't lose a leg from what I could see cause he stands up just fine after that scene happens and I didn't see any hand that was chopped of laying in the snow. I'm be more inclined to think it was his lightsaber and part of his outfit.
CerousMutor
Posted: Tuesday, December 29, 2015 8:01:00 AM

Mando wrote:
donnyrides wrote:

I was paying attention the second time through to the fight a bit more to see if Ren lost a limb. It looks like he didn't. He didn't lose a leg from what I could see cause he stands up just fine after that scene happens and I didn't see any hand that was chopped of laying in the snow. I'm be more inclined to think it was his lightsaber and part of his outfit.

Kylos injuries.
Rey chopped his lightsaber in half, sliced up his body across face, left leg injured, and left shoulder injured.
Gut shot from Chewie.
Right shoulder/arm from Finn.

I thought Kylo was whiny at first but they appear to be following the EU path of the Sith for him ThumbsUp ThumpUp .
loved that touch.
juice man
Posted: Tuesday, December 29, 2015 8:04:37 AM

Mando wrote:
donnyrides wrote:

Well, guess he needs to work on that then.BigGrin
StarKiller97
Posted: Tuesday, December 29, 2015 8:30:29 AM

Did anyone notice there was blood in the movie. I did NOT like that at all. Lightsabers and Blasters would cauterize the wound immediately. On top of that, none of the past Star Wars had blood.
Mando
Posted: Tuesday, December 29, 2015 9:54:38 AM

StarKiller97 wrote:
Did anyone notice there was blood in the movie. I did NOT like that at all. Lightsabers and Blasters would cauterize the wound immediately. On top of that, none of the past Star Wars had blood.

the blood that Kylo was shedding was from Chewbacca's bowcaster shot, not from the lightsaber. I don't remember if there was blood or not on Finn when Kylo sliced him up....

I don't like seeing blood either in movies. It seemed to fit when appropriate, but it was probably mostly in there to get the pg-13 rating.
As I recall, you see some blood (cgi blood it appears) on Obi-wan when Count Dooku sliced him in episode 2 very briefly. https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=MYw5KWTe15I
Valon Sasaki
Posted: Tuesday, December 29, 2015 10:01:33 AM

Mando wrote:
StarKiller97 wrote:

the blood that Kylo was shedding was from Chewbacca's bowcaster shot, not from the lightsaber. I don't remember if there was blood or not on Finn when Kylo sliced him up....

I don't like seeing blood either in movies. It seemed to fit when appropriate, but it was probably mostly in there to get the pg-13 rating.
As I recall, you see some blood (cgi blood it appears) on Obi-wan when Count Dooku sliced him in episode 2 very briefly. https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=MYw5KWTe15I

And when Obi slices up Darth Maul in Episode 1.
StarKiller97
Posted: Tuesday, December 29, 2015 10:01:46 AM

Mando wrote:
StarKiller97 wrote:

The blood on the troopers helmet in the beginning of the movie was from a blaster (Finns helmet). It's not the pg-13 that makes me not want blood. It's the science behind "Lightsabers". There should be no blood, because it would cauterize the wound
StarKiller97
Posted: Tuesday, December 29, 2015 10:12:27 AM

Valon Sasaki wrote:
Mando wrote:
StarKiller97 wrote:

And when Obi slices up Darth Maul in Episode 1.

I guess you're right. Maybe the blood in VII was just more profound, then the other movies
General_Grievous
Posted: Tuesday, December 29, 2015 10:36:42 AM

I threw down best Star Wars thing ever because I think it deserves a place next to the best in my opinion (ROTS/ESB). It had:
Amazing characters
Han Solo
Sweet tech (tail gunning tie fighters!!)
Awesome story
Believable villain
Lots of really good humour
Amazing effects
Sweet battles and one of the coolest duels in the whole series
And did I mention freaking Han Solo

If I wasn't such a diehard Confederate/Empire guy this movie would be top of my list. And the roaring theatre of applause, solid critical reviews and opinions of those I know that have saw it back up that this is one of the greatest Star Wars movies ever made. Also there was no annoying aliens. No Ewoks killing hardened stormtroopers or obnoxious Gungans hahaha

Revised movies order:

3, 5, 7, 4, 1, 6, 2

(Though the first three are a three way tie.
StarKiller97
Posted: Tuesday, December 29, 2015 10:38:51 AM

General_Grievous wrote:
I threw down best Star Wars thing ever because I think it deserves a place next to the best in my opinion (ROTS/ESB). It had:
Amazing characters
Han Solo
Sweet tech (tail gunning tie fighters!!)
Awesome story
Believable villain
Lots of really good humour
Amazing effects
Sweet battles and one of the coolest duels in the whole series
And did I mention freaking Han Solo

If I wasn't such a diehard Confederate/Empire guy this movie would be top of my list. And the roaring theatre of applause, solid critical reviews and opinions of those I know that have saw it back up that this is one of the greatest Star Wars movies ever made. Also there was no annoying aliens. No Ewoks killing hardened stormtroopers or obnoxious Gungans hahaha

None of the fight scenes were "epic" imo like RoTS