RegisterDonateLogin

An elegant weapon for a more civilized age.

Welcome Guest Active Topics | Members

any more ideas for the balance committee? Options
AceAce
Posted: Monday, July 18, 2016 2:41:03 PM
Groups: Member

Essentially he got from Marn...3 activations..3 med. base swap fodder that wasn't really fodder but was in fact 20 auto damage pains in the asses.
CorellianComedian
Posted: Monday, July 18, 2016 4:21:06 PM

Reports like that make me think that Marn really does go quite a ways in helping you cope with Blast Bugs.

At the same time, though, I don't think Blast Bugs have much room to talk. LOL Kinda the whole point of Con Artist is the risk/reward of getting a good CE or not.

As a side note, would bringing the Subcommander in through Reinforcements keep Marn from stealing the Blast Bug?
urbanjedi
Posted: Monday, July 18, 2016 4:51:59 PM

no because it is after setup
urbanjedi
Posted: Monday, July 18, 2016 5:01:22 PM

Here's the thing. If instead of Marn, I just have 7 guys, I am +3 in acts and +4 in swap fodder depending on squad.

Marn is very risk reward. Vs anyone without reinforcements, bribery is wasted. Against people with reinforcements, all he really does is change what they bring in. It isn't often where you would choose to steal from them over your own choices.

Con Artist is the same. Sometimes your guys get nothing useful (ie Obikin's CE when they have no shooters), most times you get something along the lines of +4/+10 which actually makes Marn decent (+11 for 20), but doesn't really help the other scrubs you bring in. Every once in awhile you "hit the jackpot" and can use FPs or get blast bugs or something really cool.

My personal vendetta against pieces with reinforcements compels me to play him, even though I think that there are better builds of the squads I have run that include him.
donnyrides
Posted: Monday, July 18, 2016 5:32:30 PM

IMO messing with other people's squads is dirty. If you change bribery, please change that darn Luke that joins your squad. These pieces don't really fit what the game should be. Just straight drop the pieces don't even errata them.
Cassus fett
Posted: Monday, July 18, 2016 5:57:23 PM

donnyrides wrote:
IMO messing with other people's squads is dirty. If you change bribery, please change that darn Luke that joins your squad. These pieces don't really fit what the game should be. Just straight drop the pieces don't even errata them.

Couldn't disgree more. You're leaning too hard in the other direction. There should at least be an effort made to adjust a piece. You're first respnse shouldn't just be get rid of it
donnyrides
Posted: Monday, July 18, 2016 6:46:37 PM

we have over 1600 of them, they won't be missed.
CorellianComedian
Posted: Monday, July 18, 2016 7:41:39 PM

donnyrides wrote:
we have over 1600 of them, they won't be missed.

Yeah, but a ton of them were absolutely useless from the moment you opened the box (lookin' at you, Twi'lek Scoundrel). Marn and TK are actually interesting Tongue

Re. Marn: It looks like the best things you can get are FPs and Blast Bugs.

I hate that he can instantly nerf Force batteries, but I think it's a good thing that he helps reign in the Blast Buggers. I'd hate to see one of their main antagonists get nerfed. If Bribery is changed, I'd like to see some slight change to keep the Blast Buggers at bay - whether updating Aggressive Negotiations, upping the Subcommander's cost slightly so he can't be a reinforcement, or nerfing the Domain Lah warriors a little (I am fully in favor of all of the above anyways).

I look forward to seeing GenCon results. I'm not entirely convinced he's not a problem, but I'm not entirely convinced Con Artist is such a huge problem. I'm wracking my brain trying to find any other great CEs to steal. Like urbanjedi said, even if you get something great like +4/+10, it won't make much of a difference - it'll bring Marn up to about the equivalent of a 15 point shooter, and will give whatever scrubs you bring a chance to actually hit something IF they make it to the fight. Nerfing Force batteries is the only CE that really stands out to me as a bad idea.

Maybe it's blatantly obvious and I'm just missing it, but anyone have any examples of how you would change a squad to account for Marn? (without giving away your Gencon squad, of course Flapper)
harryg
Posted: Tuesday, July 19, 2016 1:01:51 AM

I see TK-421 getting talked about a little bit in this thread as well, so I'll throw my two cents in regarding him. I think that even though the idea of killing a piece makes your entire squad concept basically fall apart is really dumb, the main problem with him is that he can get gambit. So ironically enough, I think a very easy fix is to make him 9 points. That way he's a good option in Daala squads or even Thrawn swap squads still against Fringe that can't be hit back. You can even use Moff Disra to bring him in with Bribery against Fringe still. I have to agree with the fact that we just made all-Fringe squads good, so I don't think they needed as big a nerf as this piece delivers to them.
Conclusion: Make him 9 points. 20 to 30 Damage cheap shooter that can't be killed until the very end? Effective, but not overpowered. Cheap shooter that sits in gambit the entire game and can't be killed until the very end, earning maybe 3 or 4 times his point cost just because nobody can do anything about it? Overpowered, cheap, and not fun for either side.
gholli69
Posted: Tuesday, July 19, 2016 3:49:06 AM

I will say that if it wasn't for Marn, I might have considered running palps and VOL at gencon because I really like that squad. However I can't see going that route knowing what I now know. Before the IN regional I hadn't really played against Marn all that much and therefore didn't fully comprehend how his bribery/conartist combo could affect my squad. In my game against Jason I did come to the conclusion that using Side FPs as soon as he activated to rage and assault was still a good option, but not being able to utilize VoL as much as I had planned due to the loss of my battery and losing the chance to activate one of his key pieces at the top of the round with Sids lightning were both pretty big obstacles to overcome.
Caedus
Posted: Tuesday, July 19, 2016 4:08:55 AM

gholli69 wrote:
I will say that if it wasn't for Marn, I might have considered running palps and VOL at gencon because I really like that squad. However I can't see going that route knowing what I now know. Before the IN regional I hadn't really played against Marn all that much and therefore didn't fully comprehend how his bribery/conartist combo could affect my squad. In my game against Jason I did come to the conclusion that using Side FPs as soon as he activated to rage and assault was still a good option, but not being able to utilize VoL as much as I had planned due to the loss of my battery and losing the chance to activate one of his key pieces at the top of the round with Sids lightning were both pretty big obstacles to overcome.

I was in the same boat with not really having any experience with Marn. Fortunately, for me, I had a Disciple of Ragnos to keep Laura at bay or I would have been obliterated. I still believe though, that if we would have had more time, Laura's Squad would have run over me.

I believe Marn's initial purpose was to counter the Auto include Lobot. I don't think that should change. I do believe that if you bring in reinforcements, and Marn steals them, you should be able to give out Con Artist to those pieces as they were originally in those squads, but to give it out to random 3 and 4 point pieces seems a stretch
donnyrides
Posted: Tuesday, July 19, 2016 5:44:41 AM

love the 9 point TK idea....If such an ability has to stay in the game. Or maybe allow an immediate activation for TK as soon as it gets brought to 0 HP so the new owner of him has a chance to hide him.

Still don't like the idea of injecting 17 points into someone else's squad. But this must just be a gripe that I alone have. So at this point I am going to concede and conform.
juice man
Posted: Tuesday, July 19, 2016 6:05:43 AM

donnyrides wrote:
Still don't like the idea of injecting 17 points into someone else's squad.
Has this happened to you? Or anyone yet? (haven't really paid attentionBlushing )
If so, what were the results?
harryg
Posted: Tuesday, July 19, 2016 11:55:23 AM

juice man wrote:
donnyrides wrote:
Still don't like the idea of injecting 17 points into someone else's squad.
Has this happened to you? Or anyone yet? (haven't really paid attentionBlushing )
If so, what were the results?

The two times I've seen TK-421 against Fringe the fringe team just let him get gambit. Letting your opponent get gambit for free is a WAY better option than losing everything Talon does. It's really a lose lose situation though, which is why I still argue for making him 9 points.
DarthMaim
Posted: Tuesday, July 19, 2016 12:30:17 PM

So the last time and only time Marn was GenCon champion was in 2013, with Ricky's NR squad "Professor Luke's Art Class", which by the way, had Jareal in the squad. We then had Mando's ( GenCon 2014 ), no Marn, and Imperials ( GenCon 2015), no Marn. I don't see Marn being such a problem??????? I'm sorry, but what I am hearing now of Marn needing a change, I never heard back when Ricky won GenCon 2013. That has been 3 years now! As far as him being a counter to Vong, are you kidding me???????????? We absolutely need him in the game to counter the Vong. Force Immunity is powerful enough, The Yommusk, along with the 10 pt Lah Warriors, +4 to saves, blast bugs etc....I could go on and on about the Vong. There should be a counter and various ways to get access to counters before nerfing/changing characters.

We should see what happens this year, GenCon 2016, as it's so close to the championship. I don't think that any decisions should be made until after the GenCon dust settles. Then, if there are changes that need to be discussed, there should be extensive criteria that is listed and expressive concrete reasons and situations that lead to characters being changed. Also, the balance committee should be open book to the community and give all the reasons and explanations/criteria etc. before they go and make more changes to the game. I completely agreed with the changes they made last time with ( Mouse droids, Poggle, etc......), totally justified and warranted. Sorry, I'm just not feeling it with the explanations and reasoning that some of you guys are saying regarding Marn. Confused
TheHutts
Posted: Tuesday, July 19, 2016 1:20:48 PM

One reason that I can't really see Marn or TK-421 being changed, is that I don't think either have really surprised the design team with any unexpected interactions. With most of the previous changes, the problem was that there were squads that were being played that were stronger than the ones used in play-testing, so the pieces needed to be toned down.

My understanding is that Marn and TK-421 are both playing out more or less as expected.
donnyrides
Posted: Tuesday, July 19, 2016 1:38:11 PM

Sounds good to just wait it out and see. Playing and gathering data is the best way to test over the small sample size. I think the reason Marn hasn't been an issue is because there hasn't had much use for it until Vader of Lothal made Sid popular again and until the boom in vong-bugs. Until then at best you were stealing opportunist or something.

Doesn't really impact me directly since the group I play with doesn't use these 2 pieces and have gone away from bug-Vong too. I just feel invested enough in the game to speak out when I see something I don't care for. Tourney players can have their game and I'll have mine. I just like to read my own writing I guess BigGrin
jak
Posted: Tuesday, July 19, 2016 2:27:09 PM

the Balance Committee is just really a re-design team.
have NPE that never should released in the first place.
the discussion after a NPE piece is released is bigger than any pre-release discussion.
we lasted as long with out wizards, as with them.
may be time to hang it up, and move on, IMO.
harryg
Posted: Tuesday, July 19, 2016 7:27:14 PM

I was looking through pieces and I had an idea that could possible help solve this little "issue" with Marn. So you know the ability Anarchist? Suppresses enemy and ally commander effects. Well, OK, just make a cheapish Fringe piece that has the equivalent of Distraction, but it suppresses enemy and ally commander effects. Wouldn't be to overpowered because we have Crumb already who's 5 point Distraction. Maybe even make the piece Unique, I'm sure someone in the Star Wars fits this description. Doesn't at all help the Vong against Marn, but it helps Palpatine not lose all of his Force against him. Wait until Marn and the Ugnaughts activate, and then move away from adjacent so that the force battery kicks in again. Even make him 15-20 points so he's a Lobot option. It might just be easier to change the ability that Bribery gives, but if we do that we don't have the counter to Vong that we need. What do you guys think of this?
gholli69
Posted: Wednesday, July 20, 2016 3:02:36 AM

I like the concept of what your saying Harry, but the problem is that with 100 put. Palps in your squad you are almost certainly not going to put activate anyone so the marn player would just activate marn and uggies last and use up you FP but like the idea of finding a cheap way to limit non force users like marn and uggies from spending/gaining force abilities or usage. Could even be a way to disrupt uggies and rodians brutes and others from gaining renewal from holosid when they never had the force in the first place which has always seemed silly to me. A cheap fringe reinforcement piece or maybe an imperial force ghost that limits force use to pieces that already have force powers on their own.