No blasters! No blasters!

Welcome Guest Active Topics | Members

Vassal Regional 2016 SIGN-UP and REPORTING thread Options
TimmerB123
Posted: Tuesday, July 5, 2016 3:34:12 PM
Groups: Member

Mando wrote:
had my game versus Tim yesterday

final score was 208-110, with the 3pt win for me and 1pt loss for Tim.

Bad matchup for Tim's squad but he made things interesting with his Snare Rifles. A couple of fotunate crits by my guys helped a lot, but also using Ben's Force pull to kill of his Squadron leader guy was pretty crucial also. Good game and well played by Tim!

Yeah it was a tough match up with lots of counters going on. Most importantly shevu countered my tacticians three activations, which is kind of core to my squad. He was able to counter my movement from Kelborn well with his surprise move and predictive reflexes. And of course VCA 6 and Flak shield really hurt against my guys that were doing 20 damage max. It rendered Shae Vizla almost useless. The one thing I did have going for me (In addition to the aforementioned snare gun) is that my strike team leader had stabilize shields. And he stuck around and just inside of range To shut down his flak shields for a good bit of time.

But alas that wasn't enough.
I had Shevu down to 10 hp in the 3rd round but couldn't finish him off for the rest of the game. I had Tahiri down to 20 and did finish off Vergere, Ben and R2, but Jacen had like 100hp still and Callista would have refreshed him once too.

Three poorly timed 1s on attack rolls really hurt me, and two perfectly timed Crits from his guys sealed the deal.

It is a tough squad the synergy is crazy.

It was still a fun game. Pretty laid-back and enjoyable. Trevor is a good guy. After the game I was telling him that he needs to go to Gen Con! ( he's never been!)
spryguy1981
Posted: Tuesday, July 5, 2016 6:26:20 PM

Spryguy over Lou 191-88 (defeated his whole squad but couldn't get to 200 as you will see why momentarily.)

Game turned in round 1 pretty handily. Foul ran Quinlan forward to attack a Death Watch Sab, Quinlan spends a Force point to move 2 extra, rolls a 1 on his attack and turns. I move all of my Mandalorian's towards the middle within 3 of Kelborn to be able to strike next round. He moves Serra into gambit.

Round 2 I Resol'nare towards the center and move in. Cin bases Pre spending 2 to move extra, make 1 parry save, fail one. Tor bases Serra and does 60, activating her with VPP. Pre uses flight to take out r2, Sab's dog pile on Cin, bringing him to 70HP. Quinlan runs 12 and bases his Scorch, Maul runs 12 bases his Marn.

Round 3 I win init and attempt to go after Cin, he makes his first VPP save, misses his 2nd, down to 10. Serra doubles Tor, then Foul finishes him off. Base Cin with another Death Watch and defeat him. Quinlan puts 50 on Scorch, Pre flies over finishes him off. Marn runs away, giving up AoO and Maul puts 40 on him, then chases him down with a FP and kills him. I kill the rest of his squad sans Serra and Rodian Dip.

Round 4 Serra bases Sab, kills it, takes 20, then another Sab kills her, and then Pre kills the Diplomat.

I didn't score 200pts because Quinlan Vos flipped sides, but I eliminated his entire squad. I did score 3 rounds of gambit bringing me to 191. Should be a 3pt win.
thereisnotry
Posted: Tuesday, July 5, 2016 6:58:05 PM

spryguy1981 wrote:
Spryguy over Lou 191-88 (defeated his whole squad but couldn't get to 200 as you will see why momentarily.)

Game turned in round 1 pretty handily. Foul ran Quinlan forward to attack a Death Watch Sab, Quinlan spends a Force point to move 2 extra, rolls a 1 on his attack and turns. I move all of my Mandalorian's towards the middle within 3 of Kelborn to be able to strike next round. He moves Serra into gambit.

Round 2 I Resol'nare towards the center and move in. Cin bases Pre spending 2 to move extra, make 1 parry save, fail one. Tor bases Serra and does 60, activating her with VPP. Pre uses flight to take out r2, Sab's dog pile on Cin, bringing him to 70HP. Quinlan runs 12 and bases his Scorch, Maul runs 12 bases his Marn.

Round 3 I win init and attempt to go after Cin, he makes his first VPP save, misses his 2nd, down to 10. Serra doubles Tor, then Foul finishes him off. Base Cin with another Death Watch and defeat him. Quinlan puts 50 on Scorch, Pre flies over finishes him off. Marn runs away, giving up AoO and Maul puts 40 on him, then chases him down with a FP and kills him. I kill the rest of his squad sans Serra and Rodian Dip.

Round 4 Serra bases Sab, kills it, takes 20, then another Sab kills her, and then Pre kills the Diplomat.

I didn't score 200pts because Quinlan Vos flipped sides, but I eliminated his entire squad. I did score 3 rounds of gambit bringing me to 191. Should be a 3pt win.
Yes, whenever you kill your opponent's entire squad it's a full win (3pts).
thereisnotry
Posted: Tuesday, July 5, 2016 6:58:39 PM

Both Mando and Spry, what maps did you play on?
spryguy1981
Posted: Tuesday, July 5, 2016 7:12:37 PM

Anchorhead, it was both map for Lou and I.
Mando
Posted: Wednesday, July 6, 2016 5:07:15 AM

jabba's palace, it was both Tim and my map.
Caedus
Posted: Thursday, July 7, 2016 9:16:48 PM

Hone and I just finished our game. I took the win 221 (3pt) -120 (1pt)

Really not good with write-ups, but...

We played on Cantina as it was both our maps. Hone won map so I chose the storage room side. first couple rounds was jockeying for position. I used the 2 rounds to serenity up Qui-Gon. We really spent a lot of time opening and closing doors. In round 3 Hone struck first killing my uggy and Shmi, giving AniSTAP MotF2 and Sith Rage. Hone tried to bring quinlon around to flank but Qui pushed him for 40. Hone put 20 on Yoda with Cin and then Yoda put 20 on Cin and then R2 locked the door. Next round Qui puts 40 more on quin and Ani strafes down and finishes him off. Next 2 Rds are spent playing lock the door but I was able to run Ani back up and re serenity Qui-Gon. Round 6 Ani goes in for a strafe and crits Cin once and scores a second hit, taking him to 30, Hits Cerra for 30 and takes Ferus down to 70 then Qui-Gon pushes Cin to death. Rd 7 Ani strafes everyone else taking a lot of hones squad to near death and then is killed off. Qui pushes Aayla to death and Yoda then follows up to finish off Ferus.

Had a great time playing Hone!
urbanjedi
Posted: Thursday, July 7, 2016 11:21:11 PM

Got my game in with Darth O (sorta). I won 72-65 (I'll explain in the recap).

We tried to play a couple days ago, but his internet was down so we couldn't play. Then tonight was the only time he had to play before the deadline. He had some additional difficulty getting his internet to work tonight so we only played about 50 mins or so before he had to leave for work.

Rd 1
I turned on Atris and set up a couple things. Then I swapped up handmaiden #1 to take out R2 and Flame Trooper and ran back toward my team. He used Blizz to try and take out my R7 and adjacent Rodian but my rolls were hot and Rodian lived and R7 also lived with 10. He Ran Yoda 22 or 23 squares to do 20 to handmaiden 1. I used one of the other handmaidens to put 120 on Yoda. He then swapped Momaq and killed #1 and put 20 on #2.
Rd 2
I killed Momaw. He runs Yobuck 20+ to kill #2 and swaps in the Gran. I swap #3 and take out Blizz (forgot about shields as I was hoping to get a rodian as well). I move up Atris and use Veers to take out the Gran and we battle for some position.
Rd 3
I swap #3 back to safety (for Veers). Veers later misses an uggie, Yoda does 40 to Veers and swaps back to safety. #3 pops out to kill said rodain. Dr E tries to heal Yoda and Yoda fails (with FPRR) and makes it to stay at 40. I get Atris to gambit
Rd 4
He heals again (another FPRR) and gets yoda back to 100. I run Atris up to protect Veers kinda, and he runs by with Yoda (takes 60 from Riposte and AoO) but kills Veers. At this point he has to leave with me winning 72-65. I still had a Thrawn swap and #3 to go so if I was just points grabbing, I could have easily killed Tarpals. Or I could have tried to swap deeper and start working through panaka/DrE, and I certainly would have gotten gambit.

It was a close game and not sure who would have won if we had played it to full completion. It certainly could have gone either way. And with more time, we easily could have gotten 2-3 more rounds in and had a 3 point victor I believe.
thereisnotry
Posted: Friday, July 8, 2016 6:36:25 AM

It sounds like a 2-0 victory to me. Bummer you guys couldn't finish it out.
thereisnotry
Posted: Friday, July 8, 2016 7:12:07 AM

What map did you play on, Jason?
urbanjedi
Posted: Friday, July 8, 2016 9:37:45 AM

2-0 victory for sure

Jabbas Palace was the map
thereisnotry
Posted: Friday, July 8, 2016 4:52:29 PM

Laura and I just played (Cantina), and I won, 203-107.

I put Quinlan in gambit at the end of the first round, and he took 90 dmg on 3 attacks from Satele the next round (via Laura's 3pt Droids of awesome) after he made 1 of his 3 Makashi saves. I worked on Satele for the rest of the round, but was only able to bring her to 30 health before Blizz's turn. Therefore Blizz had to Flame her for 20 (she was mined so it meant she'd die next round for sure), even though it meant losing my 20 hp Quinlan and damaging both Cin and Serra, along with the Defender and Shoaneb. I won the next init (I think I won them all this game, actually) and decided that it would be wise to just get rid of her straight out so Blizz flamed the 3 OR jedi again. But then Laura came in with a huge move with Atton and the Senator, dropping Cin Drallig like a sack of potatoes with 3 adjacent shots. Things did not look good here at all: I had lost 2 of my 3 jedi, while Laura had lost only 1. But then the tables turned when Laura's 50 hp Shoaneb tried to walk past Serra and took a crit for it, killing her off...meanwhile Serra blocked the riposte attacks. After Serra did 60dmg to Atton, Scorch was able to base him (via a helpful tow from R2) to drop him, which was a big shift in power on the board. The Defender and Captain fell next, and in the end it was just Bastilla and a mouse on the board for Laura, while I still had Serra and Blizz/Scorch/R2 and some fodder.

I didn't miss very many attacks, and other than Quinlan's horrible luck with Makashi saves at the beginning, the dice were very kind to me for the entire match. I won all the inits, and even the potshots from my wimpy guys were hitting.
thereisnotry
Posted: Friday, July 8, 2016 5:05:04 PM

thereisnotry wrote:
[b]Standings at the end of Swiss Rounds (Round 3)
1. 8pts (3-0) Jason Kiernan (urbanjedi)
2. 7pts (2-1) Trevor Payton (thereisnotry)
3. 7pts (2-1) Matt Spry (spryguy1981)
4. 6pts (2-1) Oliver Simpson (Darth O)
5. 6pts (2-1) Laura Kiernan (urbanshmi)
6. 4pts (1-2) Trevor Christensen (obikenobi1/Mando)
7. 4pts (1-2) Shawn Booher (Caedus)
8. 3pts (1-2) Lou Vasilion (Lou)
9. 3pts (1-2) Tim Ballard (TimmerB123)
10. 1pt (0-3) Hone Heron (xxxxx)

We now have one undefeated player, so the Swiss rounds are over.

Now for the first Playoff Round we have:
1st vs 4th: Jason Kiernan vs Oliver Simpson (again...sorry for the rematch!)
2nd vs 3rd: Trevor Payton vs Matt Spry

Once again, we have a week to get these games played. Oliver, if you're having trouble with your internet again, then please let me know so that we can perhaps find some extra time in there for you guys.
TimmerB123
Posted: Friday, July 8, 2016 5:34:10 PM

Hold - that's not how it works.

Number of rounds are set at the top of the tournament. With 10 players we should have 4 rounds, regardless of number of undefeated.
urbanjedi
Posted: Friday, July 8, 2016 5:57:18 PM

thereisnotry wrote:
thereisnotry wrote:
[b]Standings at the end of Swiss Rounds (Round 3)
1. 8pts (3-0) Jason Kiernan (urbanjedi)
2. 7pts (2-1) Trevor Payton (thereisnotry)
3. 7pts (2-1) Matt Spry (spryguy1981)
4. 6pts (2-1) Oliver Simpson (Darth O)
5. 6pts (2-1) Laura Kiernan (urbanshmi)
6. 4pts (1-2) Trevor Christensen (obikenobi1/Mando)
7. 4pts (1-2) Shawn Booher (Caedus)
8. 3pts (1-2) Lou Vasilion (Lou)
9. 3pts (1-2) Tim Ballard (TimmerB123)
10. 1pt (0-3) Hone Heron (xxxxx)

We now have one undefeated player, so the Swiss rounds are over.

Now for the first Playoff Round we have:
1st vs 4th: Jason Kiernan vs Oliver Simpson (again...sorry for the rematch!)
2nd vs 3rd: Trevor Payton vs Matt Spry

Once again, we have a week to get these games played. Oliver, if you're having trouble with your internet again, then please let me know so that we can perhaps find some extra time in there for you guys.

No problem on the rematch. Swiss rounds and elimination rounds are different things.
Caedus
Posted: Friday, July 8, 2016 6:49:26 PM

TimmerB123 wrote:
Hold - that's not how it works.

Number of rounds are set at the top of the tournament. With 10 players we should have 4 rounds, regardless of number of undefeated.

I thought it was weird we only had 3 rounds, but I'm fairly new, so... Also, it was in the Tourney Sign-up/Write-up, but IDK?
TimmerB123
Posted: Friday, July 8, 2016 7:40:31 PM

DCI and the SWMGPA both have always had the same tournament structure. It's especially important that regionals and GenCon use it.

In the biggest world championship ever (GenCon 2007) they forced everyone to play an extra round even after there was only 1 undefeated. It was many peoples (myself included) introduction to the rule.

5-8 players - 3 rounds
9-16 players - 4 rounds
17-32 players - 5 rounds
33-64 players - 6 rounds
65-128 players - 7 rounds
129 - 256 players - 8 rounds

The number of rounds has to be played regardless of if you get down to 1 undefeated.

More to the point of THIS tournament. It's really crappy when you have 2 people with the same record AND score who didn't play each other, and 1 makes it and one gets bumped due to arbitrary tie breakers. Not that it can't happen with 4 rounds, but it's less likely. And the fact that not the requisite number of rounds were played would leave quite a sour taste.

(Btw - not trying to start a fight, just bringing up how I firmly believe it SHOULD work. I feel in solid ground making the case because I'm not effected either way.).
UrbanShmi
Posted: Friday, July 8, 2016 7:55:19 PM
Groups: Member , Moderator

Tbh, although I read the format rules saying we'd play Swiss rounds to 1 undefeated, I interpreted that to mean according to standard DCI rules, as Tim laid out, I.e., the number of rounds required to guarantee one undefeated player, based on attendance. So I did assume there was going to be a fourth round of Swiss.

That said, we have already played with some unorthodox formats, like the round robin in Michigan. So I can't object to this too much, especially given the limited time we have to complete the regional before Gen Con. I'm more just disappointed because I thought I'd have another round to earn my way into the top four. Guess I should have won. Congrats to those who made it.
urbanjedi
Posted: Saturday, July 9, 2016 7:41:24 AM

I too assumed it would be 4 rounds just based on 10 players, but I also didn't pay close attention to the ACTUAL details that were posted when the tourney was set up.

However, it is very clear in reading the format, that we would play swiss until there is 1 remaining undefeated.
TimmerB123
Posted: Saturday, July 9, 2016 8:18:57 AM

thereisnotry wrote:
All SWMGPA Floor Rules will be in effect

This directly contradicts that.