RegisterDonateLogin

The ability to drink Bloo Milk does not make you intelligent.

Welcome Guest Active Topics | Members

WI Regional 2017 Options
TimmerB123
Posted: Tuesday, June 20, 2017 10:10:57 PM
Groups: Member

atmsalad wrote:
TimmerB123 wrote:
It's a good point you make about playing crap like that. It would be nice if the community would look at it and reject it for what it is, but that's not realistic.

Still anything is better than that abhorrent excrement Mike played in Indiana.

It would also be nice to have some things that are rediculous and unnecessary removed from the game. We're still a competitive community and there will always be a player or two that plays what they think will give them the best chance at winning regardless of it's... Tact.

I'm glad for that, if it wasn't that way I would not be nearly as involved as I am. Since we are still a competitive community I hope we will see some movement from the balance committee in the near future. Not necessarily needed until after gencon.

+1
TimmerB123
Posted: Tuesday, June 20, 2017 10:14:48 PM

Oh, and I'm excited for the Wisconsin regional!

I didn't get to go last year because I was stabbed by Darth Real-life.

That dude stinks sometimes!

It is honestly one of the most fun regionals each year (as long as you don't mind maybe getting beaten by a player half (or even 1/3) of your age).

Talent in all age groups there.

Really awesome watching this group over the years.
Deaths_Baine
Posted: Wednesday, June 21, 2017 4:47:06 AM

TimmerB123 wrote:
atmsalad wrote:
TimmerB123 wrote:
It's a good point you make about playing crap like that. It would be nice if the community would look at it and reject it for what it is, but that's not realistic.

Still anything is better than that abhorrent excrement Mike played in Indiana.

It would also be nice to have some things that are rediculous and unnecessary removed from the game. We're still a competitive community and there will always be a player or two that plays what they think will give them the best chance at winning regardless of it's... Tact.

I'm glad for that, if it wasn't that way I would not be nearly as involved as I am. Since we are still a competitive community I hope we will see some movement from the balance committee in the near future. Not necessarily needed until after gencon.

+1

I agree with waiting til after gencon so we can truly see how these things go, but I am worried that some squads like jangalore and blast bugs that may prevent new players from really getting into the game if that's what they run into at gencon who wants to get out activated and then watch as they take automatic damage that they can't do anything about from outside a disruptive bubble from cloaked pieces that cost like 7-9....
donnyrides
Posted: Wednesday, June 21, 2017 6:37:05 AM

The hipster in me refuses to use the easy way of ridiculous jangalore or bugs. I've play tested what I want to use vs these squads and I don't see anything that can get past the insane damage output + defensive measures of those 2 squads. Seems to be the hot squad type right now and the only way I see to get around it is building Hate for one or the other but then your are caught with your pants down for any other matchup.
atmsalad
Posted: Wednesday, June 21, 2017 7:16:04 AM

Moving thread to stop us jacking the Wisconsin regional.
TimmerB123
Posted: Saturday, June 24, 2017 1:14:45 PM

Finals

Tim B - Mandos (Jaster, Maul-alore, Kelborn, captain, 4 DW saboteurs, DW Merc)
Vs
Jason K - New Republic (Han of Corellia, Wedge, Ganner, K'Kruk, Dodonna, Eral Besa, Twi'go, BB-8)

Jason won handily in the matchup in round 1 on his map.

Jason wins map again for the final.

About to start.
Deaths_Baine
Posted: Saturday, June 24, 2017 5:45:00 PM

Who won?
TimmerB123
Posted: Saturday, June 24, 2017 6:38:24 PM

Jason wins it

Han of Corellia is really good, and long been overlooked.
TheHutts
Posted: Saturday, June 24, 2017 7:33:14 PM

TimmerB123 wrote:
Jason wins it

Quote:
jen'ari
4/16/2015 1:06 PM

I think he is costed about 10 too low to be honest. His boosts to an accurate shooter are literally insane. No need fro Wedge's attack rating to outclass Han Solo's attk rating. a 40 damage boost to an accurate shooter who now has a 16 atk. Incredible. No need for twin at that cost. Besides if you want GMA, throw in a Twi'lek Black Sun, easy GMA for a 90 dmg accurate
gholli69
Posted: Saturday, June 24, 2017 7:39:02 PM

I played a Han of corellia squad at GenCon 2 years ago when double swap and insane numbers of mice were the meta and didn't do so well. I think my version had Han, wedge, tbsv, Mira of NS, and other filler can't remember exactly what else, but that was definitely not the meta for that squad to be successful.
shmi15
Posted: Saturday, June 24, 2017 7:40:01 PM

TheHutts wrote:
TimmerB123 wrote:
Jason wins it

Quote:
jen'ari
4/16/2015 1:06 PM

I think he is costed about 10 too low to be honest. His boosts to an accurate shooter are literally insane. No need fro Wedge's attack rating to outclass Han Solo's attk rating. a 40 damage boost to an accurate shooter who now has a 16 atk. Incredible. No need for twin at that cost. Besides if you want GMA, throw in a Twi'lek Black Sun, easy GMA for a 90 dmg accurate

Add it to the list. +1
jen'ari
Posted: Saturday, June 24, 2017 8:21:35 PM

Well done both finalists!

I would love to see both full squads as I love squad building.

"Political" agenda wise I would love to know how much impact Dodonna had on the match.
Caedus
Posted: Saturday, June 24, 2017 8:47:43 PM

45 pt piece that is offensive only. It needs a lot of help to be dangerous and survive, ie; TBSV, Wedge, Mouse Droid ( That's 44 pts, if you are counting at home, 1 less than the piece itself costs). That is not over powered. Maybe Wedge and the TBSV are overpowered? No, that sounds ridiculous too.
TimmerB123
Posted: Saturday, June 24, 2017 9:39:14 PM

jen'ari wrote:

"Political" agenda wise I would love to know how much impact Dodonna had on the match.

So Donna was massive. 2accurate opportunist shooters and Ganner to set them up - there wasn't much I could do.

Without dodonna it's a match I can win.
urbanjedi
Posted: Saturday, June 24, 2017 9:48:39 PM

Here is my squad

--Eryl must die (WI 2017 Regional Winner)--
45 Han Solo, Corellian Legend
34 Jedi Master K'Kruhk
29 Ganner Rhysode
23 General Wedge Antilles
18 Twi'lek Black Sun Vigo
15 Eryl Besa
13 BB-8
9 General Dodonna
5 Killik Drone
3 Mouse Droid
6 Ugnaught Demolitionist x2

Rd 1 against Tim B. and Mandos
I start very far forward, and intuition and then later Han gets to shoot some stuff (finds a clear line) and evades the damage coming back. KKruhk goes into the mando den, and BB8 locks him in (and the mandos away from Han). Rd 2 Tim forgets that none of his commanders moved up and tries to use kelborn to pound on KKruhk but doesn't get the twins. I then pound on Kelborn. He then uses 2 sabs to kill kkruhk (he makes the avoid defeat here), and Han gets in deep with BB8 to Kill Kelborn and pick off some other guys (no death shots as he still hasn't moved guys forward). Maul finally moves up, Ganner gets Han out to safety. Kkruhk dies on his sword (for reals this time) doing some damage to MAul. Next round its some more dancing and Han Finishes off Maul and its not long after that I enter mop up phase. 1-0 3pts

Rd 2 against Laura and Her OR beef
She Pops Bastilla Rd 1, so I have a very immobile HAn. I still get some shots with him (just not the ones I want). At the top of Rd 2 she finishes off Kkruhk and Eryl and I take out Vima (although Sateles Bodyguard makes it scary for a sec. We do some more dancing. I am backpedalling the whole way as the BG caught me off guard and if it weren't for a failed Absorb Energy Save, Satele would live and I would have been in DEEP trouble. It's a true war of attrition as by the end, most of my guys are down to 30 or less, but I eek out the win. 2-0 6pts

Rd 3 against Bryan playing "Bryan's Resistance"
He totally set me up and I fell for it. He got to Force Absorb my Leaping Assault and basically traded Poe for KKruhk AND Eryl. And he had a decent setup. Problem was he couldn't keep up the assault on Gambit and I used BB8 running back and forth to switch my attack angle so Chewie couldn't get off a barage. In fact, he didn't get one off the whole match. Bryan made a last ditch effort, but my BB8 was close enough to Base Chewie and Han taking away the Resistance BG, so that I could Kill chewie. Han did some damage after that, but it was too late. 3-0 9 pts

Rd 4 against Etienne and his Wraiths
The first Round I got Deep with Han and took out his 2 uggs and a mouse and then did my normal trick of moving letting Kkruhk into the henhouse and closing the door behind him with BB8 keeping his guys away from mine. Kkruhk did his thing sucking up damage and killing stuff, most notably the Klat Captain. After that, kills some guys, but without evade his guys start to fall. The funny moment in this game is when our BB8s got into a slap fight for about 3 rounds off by themselves. In the end, losing the speed 8 and evade was too much to overcome and his wraiths fell. He did roll multiple 1s for attacks and it was one of these on Han that caused him to miss out getting to 100 (and killing Han late). 4-0 12 pts

Finals rematch vs Tim B. Because of the store closing fairly early, before we started it was determined that it would be 4 rounds of Swiss, with the top 2 playing off for the title.
Tim takes the other side of the map and brings in the strike force leader (a cloaked commander) to try and change from the first game we played. Key point in this game was him knowing it was a risk and baiting the trap (leaving kelborn out where I would have to essentially overexpose to get to him AND roll 3 6s with Han to kill him). I saw it, we talked about if for a few seconds. I decided that its only a game and went for it. Moved Beebs up to get the sensors going, moved Han to expose him and of course rolled something like 12,16,14 to kill kelborn. Then moved KKrhuk and Eryl up to get in front of Beebs to protect him. This basically determined the game. If Kelborn lives, I am in big trouble as Han is now out there, and he has a bunch of mobility that he didn't have. Next round KKruhk takes out the Strike for leader and kills a Sab and eats a death shot. A couple more attack later and Kkruhk joins the dead. Eryl makes some evades and he misses on a point blank to let her live (I actually wouldn't have minded a death) so I had to levitate her out of the way, then move some uggies up in a different blocking pattern so Han could kill 2 more of the sabs (with the uggies taking the death shots like good little trooper). towards the end game, it comes down to Me in gambit pushing towards the with him having a sab, Maul (full), JAster and the Captain (who were in the back moving up) to my Wedge (20 off), Han, TBSV, Ganner, and Killik. I use Wedge to kill the last Sab who lands one of the two Death shots (now 50 off wedge). He does the only thing he can and moves up maul (has to spend a force to get there) and of course wedge makes his evade save. I levitate wedge to safety right quick after that. We play a little more Cat and Mouse and I throw Han in adjacent so I can shoot Maul, knowing that if I win init, I Can just go again and kill him, and even if he wins init he can't kill han without a crit (and then I can push Maul to death with ganner assuming the 3 Han shots from the last round hit). If that happened, I was close enough on Gambit (6 rounds), that he couldn't finish off the rest of my squad before I got to 8 rounds of gambit and won on gambit. Well, wouldn't you know that Han rolled a crit on Maul and killed him so it didn't matter. Had to play one more round to kill the captain, but then it was over.

Thoughts and comments
IMO the key to the squad is Eryl and the fact not only does she let everyone else set up closer, she also has forward positioning, which puts her in a GREAT spot to open a key door downfield so you can actually get shots. I have played various variations of Solo charge over the years, and this particular one can start the attacking round 1 with ease. In addition, because it isn't the normal starting area, it create lots of different looks that you just aren't used to seeing. This seemed to throw my opponents off their game a little as it was unexpected and what you normally think of as a safe space in rd 1 to advance might not be safe any longer. The squad is good, although not top tier, or at least not any better than any other version of Ganner in the NR. This one had a slightly different trick, but still just a gimmick away. Tim had a much better matchup the second time around because he had already seen it in action. If a couple rolls go his way in the second game, he could just as easily have been the WI champion.

It was alot of fun, and thanks to Chargers for putting it all together and it seemed like everyone was having fun.
urbanjedi
Posted: Saturday, June 24, 2017 9:51:33 PM

TimmerB123 wrote:
jen'ari wrote:

So Donna was massive. 2accurate opportunist shooters and Ganner to set them up - there wasn't much I could do.

Dodonna was certainly an advantage for me. Although I do think the MAndos can win this matchup. They are at a disadvantage, but it is probably 65/35 give or take.

As I mentioned, if I miss on Kelborn (and if Wedge fails his avoid defeat), the game is very different.

TimmerB123
Posted: Sunday, June 25, 2017 6:26:53 AM

urbanjedi wrote:
TimmerB123 wrote:
jen'ari wrote:

Dodonna was certainly an advantage for me. Although I do think the MAndos can win this matchup. They are at a disadvantage, but it is probably 65/35 give or take.

As I mentioned, if I miss on Kelborn (and if Wedge fails his avoid defeat), the game is very different.

Mandos certainly could win, but and I'd agree with 65/35 NR advantage in a different map. I'd say it goes up to 80/20 on Jason's map (which we played on both times).

When I baited with Kelborn, I knew that was a long shot, but I knew some work had to go my way and if he would've missed that would've brought it back down to about a 60/40 chance for me. Surprisingly, I actually don't think I needed Kelborn's help with movement quite as much as usual at that point i was in a little nook that I didn't need to move much from.

Without Dodonna, we are near even in activations. He can't just wait for me to outactivated, roll in BB-8 (devistating vs my squad with sensors) levitate Han in and GMA accurate triple opportunist.

It was a game where you feel helpless the whole time.

TimmerB123
Posted: Sunday, June 25, 2017 6:41:38 AM

gholli69 wrote:
I played a Han of corellia squad at GenCon 2 years ago when double swap and insane numbers of mice were the meta and didn't do so well. I think my version had Han, wedge, tbsv, Mira of NS, and other filler can't remember exactly what else, but that was definitely not the meta for that squad to be successful.

I think you nailed it on the head. Han was a very powerful piece released in a time of a broken meta.

Analyzing Jason's squad further, it it a top tier squad. Jason has been somewhat dismissive of it, but I think it's stronger than even he realizes. I think an excellent player could take it to GenCon and do well, if not win with it in the right matchups.

Every piece has a role and it all synergizes perfectly. BB-8 covers any weakness that Han/Wedge/Twi'go has before, and K'Kruhk and Eral round it out perfectly. Eral is icing on an already excellent cake.
DarthMaim
Posted: Sunday, June 25, 2017 8:29:52 AM

urbanjedi wrote:
Here is my squad

--Eryl must die (WI 2017 Regional Winner)--
45 Han Solo, Corellian Legend
34 Jedi Master K'Kruhk
29 Ganner Rhysode
23 General Wedge Antilles
18 Twi'lek Black Sun Vigo
15 Eryl Besa
13 BB-8
9 General Dodonna
5 Killik Drone
3 Mouse Droid
6 Ugnaught Demolitionist x2

It was alot of fun, and thanks to Chargers for putting it all together and it seemed like everyone was having fun.

Excellent squad Urban!!!!!!Congrats on the win! Truly amazing to see you win multiple Regionals time and time again every year with different squads. I am in awe. Really shows your talent and prowess in SWM. It solidifies you as being the top SWM regional player of all time! You're the man! Cheers dude! BlooMilk