RegisterDonateLogin

It might help if you got out and pushed.

Welcome Guest Active Topics | Members

NW Ohio Regional Options
jen'ari
Posted: Monday, July 17, 2017 10:15:48 AM
Groups: Member

I don't think anyone has a problem with conceding a match that is not going well.
I think the problem is conceding and than whining. His little sweep and kill didn't work so boo hoo hoo.
It's the whining, especially since a lot of people used broken tactics to try to win anyway (daala ozzel, ozzel/thrawn/boba)

But ya, it's just a sign of a terrible competitor.

He should not have said what he said. CONGRATULATIONS are in order and if you think it is a problem, you should discuss the problem not the person utilizing the "problem"

Low class
DarthMaim
Posted: Monday, July 17, 2017 10:29:55 AM

First of all, congrats to Jason, once again proving that he is the King of Regionals! With that being said, "riddle me this Batman", I was wondering, the following;

urbanjedi wrote:
ok here we go.

I knew Unkaar Plutt would be coming out in set 14, so any chance of playing a reserves based squad would be much more difficult after his release.

Also, Unkar isn't a hard counter at all. He is a very good soft counter, to not only Reserves, but also init control in general (master tac, tac, recon, tactics broker, etc)

In one quote you say that it would be "much more difficult" to play this squad and then in another quote you say "He is a very good soft counter". Why wouldn't you play a squad again that you won a regional with against the best competition in the world, because of "Unkaar Plutt", when he is only a soft counter?

Anyways, again, congrats Urban, you're the man! Maximum respect to you brother BlooMilk

juice man
Posted: Monday, July 17, 2017 10:34:00 AM

DarthMaim wrote:
First of all, congrats to Jason, once again proving that he is the King of Regionals! With that being said, I was wondering, the following;

urbanjedi wrote:
ok here we go.

I knew Unkaar Plutt would be coming out in set 14, so any chance of playing a reserves based squad would be much more difficult after his release.

Also, Unkar isn't a hard counter at all. He is a very good soft counter, to not only Reserves, but also init control in general (master tac, tac, recon, tactics broker, etc)

In one quote you say that it would be "much more difficult" to play this squad and then in another quote you say "He is a very good soft counter". Why wouldn't you play a squad again that you won a regional with against the best competition in the world, because of "Unkaar Plutt", when he is only a soft counter?

Anyways, again, congrats Urban, you're the man! Maximum respect to you brother BlooMilk

I can answer that! Seems he never plays the same squad again.
Deaths_Baine
Posted: Monday, July 17, 2017 10:37:40 AM

urbanjedi wrote:
Deaths_Baine wrote:

what I am saying is the possibility for this has existed for 7 sets anyone could have run this. it didn't suddenly become a problem, it won 1 tournament and now some people are rage quitting games

No reason to pick on Tim here. There is nothing wrong with conceding a game that you don't think you can win, that you aren't going to have fun playing. In fact, I respect the heck out of it. I know that in all the tournaments I have been to, it happens from time to time, and there is NOTHING wrong with it. It is certainly better than aggravating the heck out of yourself for a half hour while you know your opponent is just going to wipe you out any second.

also add in that he wouldn't play it again.

what would have happened if people refused to play against broken daala? what would have happened had people refused to play against broken captains or even naboo?

you have to play the game isn't that what the heads of this game (designers and balance committee) preached.... prove to us it is broken then we will take a look at it....

quitting proves nothing... getting destroyed makes a statement...so make the statement.
Caedus
Posted: Monday, July 17, 2017 10:38:20 AM

So as TO of this event and creator of this thread, please stop attacking players. I understand that people get frustrated about playing squads and getting beat by said squads and everyone has opinions about what they think is bad or NPE or overpowered, but attacking players or their legal squads for any reason is just crazy. I respect everyone's opinion, whether I think it's right or off, so please respect each other's. Thanks
urbanjedi
Posted: Monday, July 17, 2017 10:39:50 AM

jen'ari wrote:

Low class

No, what is low class is these personal attacks against Tim.

Tim has more class than many of the people on here.
Deaths_Baine
Posted: Monday, July 17, 2017 10:41:19 AM

urbanjedi wrote:
jen'ari wrote:

Low class

ummm....I was really hoping you'd have the class and forethought to not do a write-up. Now I am forced to respond.

This was easily the least fun game I've ever played in my many years in this game. It disgusted me to my very core and made me question the entire state of the game.

those are his words... that's not classy in the least bit sir....
Caedus
Posted: Monday, July 17, 2017 10:42:48 AM

Caedus wrote:
So as TO of this event and creator of this thread, please stop attacking players. I understand that people get frustrated about playing squads and getting beat by said squads and everyone has opinions about what they think is bad or NPE or overpowered, but attacking players or their legal squads for any reason is just crazy. I respect everyone's opinion, whether I think it's right or off, so please respect each other's. Thanks

Again.
urbanjedi
Posted: Monday, July 17, 2017 10:44:47 AM

Caedus wrote:

+1
Deaths_Baine
Posted: Monday, July 17, 2017 10:49:33 AM

I am just pointing out the double standard that exists in this... don't say it doesn't it is here right now in this thread....

Tim comes out swinging with I can't believe you posted a play report.... what the hell he won a regional of course he is going to post a report... then says I am forced to respond... respond to what... oh you hate his squad.... I can't believe a good player would run a luck based squad and blah blah blah blah....

Then when he gets called out.... we are attacking him?! no...its called a response in kind. Sweet lord its pathetic on this forum when a so called "blue blood" in this game gets called out time stops and the sheep come running to defend defend defend. just let him not be classy and let him eat it for not being so... it's life.
jen'ari
Posted: Monday, July 17, 2017 10:53:14 AM

urbanjedi wrote:
jen'ari wrote:

Low class

Tim has the appearance of class.

Out of respect to you if you want me to stop saying anything I will, since it seems that is what you want and since you are the targeted person this will be my last post on the subject.

But I am not pointing out Tim's classlessness without reason.

FlyingArrow
Posted: Monday, July 17, 2017 11:46:09 AM
Groups: Member , Moderator

Caedus, thanks for running the tournament and promoting a positive forum environment.
TimmerB123
Posted: Monday, July 17, 2017 11:59:29 AM

I apologize to all - my response was overly harsh, and even unfair at times.

Let me try this again. I'll break it down what I should have said and what should have been cut.

TimmerB123 wrote:

I was really hoping you'd have the class and forethought to not do a write-up.

This was referring to the fact that Jason and I are personal friends. He's not some anonymous opponent. I really thought he might not post his write-up due to seeing how his squad effected me and others during the day. This was incorrect and selfish. Regardless - this should have been a personal message to Jason and not posted here (and not to mention worded nicer)

TimmerB123 wrote:
Now I am forced to respond.

False. I wasn't forced. I was extremely compelled (by my own self), to the point I felt I had no choice, but that wasn't true. Should have written "feel compelled to respond". I really sincerely was hoping not to have anything to respond to.

TimmerB123 wrote:
This was easily the least fun game I've ever played in my many years in this game. It disgusted me to my very core and made me question the entire state of the game.

True

TimmerB123 wrote:
This squad is complete garbage.

I should have said, "my opinion is . . ." but still unnecessary

TimmerB123 wrote:
It sickens me even to think about it.

True. My stomach has literally been queasy since.

TimmerB123 wrote:
Side note - I got my clock cleaned by Matt Spry in round 4, and that was fine. Although I was kicking myself for how bad I played, it was still ok because that's SWM to me. He played it perfectly, and I was surprised how much broken 12 point see-threepio crushed my squad, but that is a different story. I played it out, and even let him kill all my commanders after the game had already been won. That's minis to me. I got my butt kicked, but it was still SWM.

True, and IMO an important notation of the distinction between losing then whining, and having the game you love not even resemble the game anymore.

TimmerB123 wrote:
Round three vs Jason and that atrocity of a squad was entirely different.

I guess atrocity is subjective, but since I am allowed to give my opinion on subjective matters, I think this qualifies as True.

Quote:
It wasn't SWM.

False
I should have said - it didn't even FEEL like SWM.

TimmerB123 wrote:
It was just a game of rolling inits.
Even by Jason's admittance, if he doesn't hit reserves he doesn't win. In our game that was the only 2 rolls we had.

TimmerB123 wrote:
It sucked all the fun out of the game.
True

TimmerB123 wrote:
I drove too far to waste time facing that crap.
True but unnecessary

TimmerB123 wrote:
I sincerely hope Jason enjoyed playing the squad. That would make a total of 1 person that enjoyed the games in which he played (including the game Jason lost - it was still a horrid game by all reports.)
Everyone I talked to said it was not any fun playing against his squad, but still Unnecessary

TimmerB123 wrote:
It's sad and frustrating when an excellent player stoops to playing a luck squad, and then of course gets the luck.

Jason is an excellent player. That part is certainly true, you'd be a fool to say otherwise. He did get the luck on top of that. The rest was Unnecessary.

TimmerB123 wrote:
Over the years, reserves have just getting better and better. With every set released, reserves gets better with more options. It becomes devastating with the luck of a few rolls and no skill. When a skilled player uses it, it's crushing.

100% true and important

TimmerB123 wrote:
I am very thankful for Unkar Plutt coming out soon. I only fear he may not be enough to prevent this garbage in the future.
True, but "garbage" wasn't necessary.

TimmerB123 wrote:
I for one will not waste my time playing against it.
As of now I really do feel that way.

urbanjedi wrote:
Rd 1 I used anticipation to

False.

urbanjedi wrote:
Roll 11 and dropped 2x LIN and a buzz with Clobot.

True

TimmerB123 wrote:
* also of note - no you didn't use anticipation. You just rolled an 11

True

More editorial -

The piece that compounds the reserves problem (Pong Krell) did come out seven sets ago. I didn't like it from the beginning, and in all honesty I held my breath and hoped nobody played it. It hadn't really become an issue for 3 main reasons.
1. Reserves options weren't as deep, and since then they just keep getting better (see above)
2. Not many people played it.
3. Nobody (to my knowledge) had run it with an MTB. (at least not at a regional)

Jason deserves full credit for number 3. It was a genius move. Without it, I just bring in an MTB and laugh.

For years my stance has been consistent and outspoken about my distaste for "luck" abilities. Reserves being a chief offender. It's not even that it's necessarily overpowered, it's that it makes dramatic swings in games where it's not necessary. Yes, we roll 20 sided die, and every time we do, luck gets involved. But SWM has been spiraling into more saves, more "luck" based abilities, compounding on each other. In a game where it can be a 200pt squad vs a 380pt squad (180 being perfectly tailored counters), AFTER ONLY 2 ROUNDS OF PLAY, is just out of control in my opinion.

Yes there are different NPEs to everyone, and clearly this tops my personal list. I am concerned about it being a mass NPE in general (again - it was an NPE to everyone I talked to - I'm just the most outspoken), and that is detrimental to our game. I am concerned with it being far too powerful, and that is bad for our game. I am concerned about it as a designer, and have been for years. It finally came to head this weekend. The worst scenario I had feared for years finally came true. (Happy Birthday to me).

Ultimately I am upset that this is even possible in our game. I let my rage fly and some went in some directions it should not have. For that I am sorry.

Jason, I owe you specifically an apology, because some certainly came in your direction, and you deserved none of it.

I have loved this game with a dedicated passion for years. Say whatever you will about me - it's hard to dispute that fact. It has been very important to me for over a decade. This single experience soured the game for me more profoundly than I could have expected. It shook me to my core. This is not meant as an excuse for my original post, but more meant as additional information.

Thank you to those who have reached out to me privately in support. It's helpful to know so many people agree (although my delivery was virtually universally chided - and rightfully so). My opinion of the issue hasn't wavered. I don't regret being the outspoken one on it, especially when so many people feel the same way, but I do regret my original delivery.

Again, sorry to all.

Back to your regularly scheduled programming.
AceAce
Posted: Monday, July 17, 2017 1:41:06 PM

Many more posts to read, but I stopped at Tim's 2 pages back.

Dodonna. Check.

It is as annoying as MTB and MT...and Reserves and Crits on 17-20. All are legal and therefore able to be played by anyone without ridicule.

If it takes less skill and is more luck with Reserves, it definitely takes less skill with Dodonna (and I know and have used him bazillions of times in the past --> but not in competitive venues.)

My regionals this year I have fielded <8 activations no tempo, 9 activations no tempo, 3 activations, and 20 with no tempo.

You said it was no fun to play him hitting those rolls and no doubt that is true. Equally no fun is playing someone with Dodonna and Lobot Reinforcements who is merely waiting to outactivate you so they can strafe and set up another one again and again. I almost played a MTB with Dodonna and Luke/Leia but thought it would be boring and no fun for me or anyone.

That all said, kudos Jason (to be the best you gotta beat the best,) and Tim we're still buddies even if we disagree.
juice man
Posted: Monday, July 17, 2017 1:53:11 PM

Nerf Blast Bugs, nerf tempo control, nerf reserves, nerf swap. I think what all this proves is we need to nerf Jason. BigGrin
DarkDracul
Posted: Monday, July 17, 2017 5:16:58 PM

urbanjedi wrote:
FlyingArrow wrote:
That's the sort of showing that makes everyone assume Allana is no good so she won't be played again. Until Jason wins a regional with her in 2019.

Lol, true.

Although I don't know if she is on my playlist any time soon.

I still haven't played resistance or ghost crew yet, as well as many other pieces or squads (noghri come to mind), and there are also some squads to revisit as new pieces come out or the meta changes (gungans)

But, you never know, maybe Allana will make my playlist sometime. Although 2019 is pretty far away, so maybe I'll be caught up by then.
Queen Allana is good and she could win a normal Regional but she's currently not good enough to win a Gen Con level event . . . even with Jason playing her. Perhaps she will be by 2019.
Darth_Jim
Posted: Monday, July 17, 2017 6:33:57 PM

Deaths_Baine wrote:
Darth_Jim wrote:
I echo the thoughts of others on here in thanking Caedus for setting this up and running a great regional, and his venue Card and Board. A lot of happy moments for me this weekend:

Seeing everyone and having some good conversations with Jason, Lou, Ultrastar, ATMSalad and Lily Wan in particular.

Meeting Naarkon...a fine young man.

Swapping Grampa stories with Jak, and setting a regional record of the most grampas to play in a regional at 2 with him.

Yet another great road trip with one of the finest people I've met in my entire life, Thereisnotry, and delving into some great theological discussions with him.

Going 3-1 and finishing 5th despite only playing 2 games total in the last year.

Rolling dice with the Fist of Glory.

Finally seeing my skiff played. Thanks to DrakDracul for the polish on the design among others, and to Lou and DeathsBaine for bouncing ideas off of beforehand.

Thanks to this fine community for continuing to breath life into this game. Now get off my lawn.

This made me smile bigger then any post on this site ever. (Except for when i used to mess with Bill, i miss you bill)

You sir are an outstanding gentleman and for you to thank me is huge to me and I consider it the greatest accomplishment I have ever had in minis.

Thank YOU, sir. I wasn't just being polite. I went to you and Lou because you two were voices I'd heard complain about the lack of help melee had. You came from 2 different play groups and I thought that I could get a well rounded opinion formed as to how to build the skiff. I don't normally play melee...or jedi. I try to have a mix in my squads because it's how I like to play, but all or mostly melee squads isn't my strongpoint.

Now on to other projects. Seeing Ultrastar at the regional I've come to the conclusion that his beard is tier one and needs to be nerfed. Any ideas?
shmi15
Posted: Monday, July 17, 2017 6:40:39 PM

Darth_Jim wrote:
Deaths_Baine wrote:
Darth_Jim wrote:
I echo the thoughts of others on here in thanking Caedus for setting this up and running a great regional, and his venue Card and Board. A lot of happy moments for me this weekend:

Seeing everyone and having some good conversations with Jason, Lou, Ultrastar, ATMSalad and Lily Wan in particular.

Swapping Grampa stories with Jak, and setting a regional record of the most grampas to play in a regional at 2 with him.

Yet another great road trip with one of the finest people I've met in my entire life, Thereisnotry, and delving into some great theological discussions with him.

Going 3-1 and finishing 5th despite only playing 2 games total in the last year.

Finally seeing my skiff played. Thanks to DrakDracul for the polish on the design among others, and to Lou and DeathsBaine for bouncing ideas off of beforehand.

Thanks to this fine community for continuing to breath life into this game. Now get off my lawn.

This made me smile bigger then any post on this site ever. (Except for when i used to mess with Bill, i miss you bill)

You sir are an outstanding gentleman and for you to thank me is huge to me and I consider it the greatest accomplishment I have ever had in minis.

Thank YOU, sir. I wasn't just being polite. I went to you and Lou because you two were voices I'd heard complain about the lack of help melee had. You came from 2 different play groups and I thought that I could get a well rounded opinion formed as to how to build the skiff. I don't normally play melee...or jedi. I try to have a mix in my squads because it's how I like to play, but all or mostly melee squads isn't my strongpoint.

Now on to other projects. Seeing Ultrastar at the regional I've come to the conclusion that his beard is tier one and needs to be nerfed. Any ideas?

CE - Only characters without a beard may order a thin crust, pepperoni pizza.

My work here is done.
Darth_Jim
Posted: Monday, July 17, 2017 7:05:23 PM

shmi15 wrote:
Darth_Jim wrote:
Deaths_Baine wrote:
Darth_Jim wrote:

CE - Only characters without a beard may order a thin crust, pepperoni pizza.

My work here is done.

Note to self: Eat pizza with Ultrastar at GenCon.
FlyingArrow
Posted: Monday, July 17, 2017 7:34:58 PM
Groups: Member , Moderator

Tim, I think you missed one important thing about Jason's squad. It is no more luck-based than any other squad. Getting Reserves for his squad isn't lucky - it would be unlucky to not get Reserves. If he has all of his init-control abilities clicking, it's over 70% to get Reserves on any given round. Of course, hitting 11 against you twice in a row to hit not only Reserves but the exact Reserves he needed to counter the siblings - that was lucky. But that sort of thing is not really any different from hitting a couple of key crits. He was marginally luckier than he should have been. He probably should have hit the 60 point Reserves one of those times instead of another set of Lobot Reserves.

It remains to be seen whether this will be meta-warping. It still has a couple hard auto-losses out there even without Unkar. NTMTO + Lobot (MTB) turns off Jason's MTB and gives him a 1 for init: 0 Reserves. Han CotMF by himself cuts him down to his regular 25% chance for Reserves. If that's the meta, Pong dies. If that's not the meta, that squad really is pretty nuts. I don't think Jason got lucky - I think the addition of the MTB was genius and the squad really is that good.

Does it require a nerf? I don't think so since Unkar is on his way. (By the way - sorry for accidentally spoiling parts of him. When Jason brought it up I assumed it was already spoiled.) You could think of this as a gatekeeper. In recent years, though, it's sometimes been the case that nobody even ran the gatekeeper at GenCon.