Eighth Cortex Shaper
Yuuzhan Vong
19 pts.

Hit points: 40
Defense: 15
Attack: 2
Damage: 10

Special Abilities
Melee attack. Force Immunity. Evade. Willing to Serve.

Exterminate [While adjacent to any character this character and adjacent enemies lose avoid defeat.]

Retaliatory Attack [When a unique allied character is defeated by an enemy, this character can make one immediate attack.]

Rival [Cannot be in a squad with any character with Jedi Hatred.]

?????? [Unique Yuuzhan Vong allies gain Evade, Retaliatory Attack, and Willing to Serve.]

Commander Effect
This character must have at least five unique Yuuzhan Vong allies without Outsider at the start of the skirmish. After setup you may add one Yuuzhan Vong character without Outsider up to 18 points to your squad. Chosen character is considered a reinforcement and is placed adjacent to this character.

It is my understanding that the Vong are VERY powerful as they stand now. Please note that I havent played the vong all that much in the past (when the game was in production), but I have seen similar comments over and over on these forums regarding the Vong. For this reason I have to ask why are Vong pieces still being made?
juice man
Posted: Thursday, June 22, 2017 10:29:05 AM
Groups: Member

Why are any pieces made? To keep the game fresh.
Why these Vong pieces? To promote unique Vong use.
Deaths_Baine
Posted: Thursday, June 22, 2017 10:33:19 AM

I don't know enough about unique vong to make a judgement call on how bad this is, but I will say I believe this is one of those faction defining pieces that should never have existed.... it is in line with things that may not always be the best option in a faction, but a piece that ALWAYS has to be considered like, bandon in sith...well he gives +10 damage so we have to watch that, or bastilla, she gives +10 damage, etc. I don't know how many times I have heard well we could do this but bandon will make it do to much damage, or the same with bastilla, I fear this piece will be the same for different reasons.
FlyingArrow
Posted: Thursday, June 22, 2017 10:33:53 AM
Groups: Member , Moderator

blemelisk wrote:
It is my understanding that the Vong are VERY powerful as they stand now. Please note that I havent played the vong all that much in the past (when the game was in production), but I have seen similar comments over and over on these forums regarding the Vong. For this reason I have to ask why are Vong pieces still being made?

Follow-up to juice man's response... non-Unique Vong are very powerful. Warrior Caste Subcommander handing out Blastbugs is one of the top squads around. But a squad with Unique Vong is not very powerful. Or at least it wasn't before the Eighth Cortex Shaper. Probably still isn't a top squad even with it.
juice man
Posted: Thursday, June 22, 2017 10:34:32 AM

jen'ari wrote:
in the world of SWM if pieces need that much help than maybe they should just be redesigned.
All unique Vong and warriors get base 20 damage, eliminate the Yammosk and mouse droids can be used as Villips.

Wonder how that would work?
blemelisk
Posted: Thursday, June 22, 2017 10:46:18 AM

FlyingArrow wrote:
blemelisk wrote:

Follow-up to juice man's response... non-Unique Vong are very powerful. Warrior Caste Subcommander handing out Blastbugs is one of the top squads around. But a squad with Unique Vong is not very powerful. Or at least it wasn't before the Eighth Cortex Shaper. Probably still isn't a top squad even with it.

Now you have the option of using a mix of both and having (possibly) the power creep of the meta go higher?

Yep it is a question, as again ive never played much with the Vong, but appreciate their existence. Im not opposed to playing with or against them either.

With this said, (maybe this should be a separate thread) but where do the factions stand in the meta and etc?
(What im looking for is: X Faction is mediocre, with mostly shooters and no force characters, not competitive. Y faction can counter just about any other squad out there with their mix, strong melee and ranged characters etc etc etc)

I also agree with Darth Bane's comment.
FlyingArrow
Posted: Thursday, June 22, 2017 10:48:58 AM

DarkDracul gave a pretty good rundown here:
http://swmgamers.com/forums/viewtopic.php?f=3&p=200793#p200793

He didn't even mention Unique Vong because they weren't even good enough to rate. That list is the current status (i.e. without the Eighth Cortex Shaper, which will be officially released in August).
FlyingArrow
Posted: Thursday, June 22, 2017 10:53:16 AM

@blemelisk:
On the idea of mixing both Uniques and non-Uniques for something more powerful. That's generally not how it works. If you pay for commanders, you want to get the most out of them. Many commanders are exclusively for Uniques or non-Uniques. If your squad mixes non-Uniques and Uniques, you generally don't get the most out of your commanders.

For example, the Warrior Caste Subcommander costs 23 points. It hands out Blastbugs (and other stuff). You want to have as many recipients as possible to get as many people Blastbugging as possible. That pushes for lots of cheap non-Uniques. Every Unique you add to the squad means fewer Blastbuggers, even if the Unique is itself eligible to benefit from the CE.
General_Grievous
Posted: Thursday, June 22, 2017 2:08:44 PM

As much as I'm not Huge into the multiple boosts for characters for simplicity's sake. I really think this guy will boost up the uniques into at least good. Here is my best ideas:

http://www.bloomilk.com/Squad/175718/john-wick--vong-

http://www.bloomilk.com/Squad/176279/council-of-yuuzhantar

Great job an cool new build
shmi15
Posted: Thursday, June 22, 2017 3:44:18 PM

Cool! So we now have a NEW option of squad building for the Vong. Great. Fantastic.

Do you think you guys can work on the Sith faction now? Maybe give them a 19 point piece who hands out 3 Special Abilities for Unique Sith Only? Like Evade and Willing to Serve and something else? OH! And maybe that same piece can bring in another piece that costs 18!?

Or maybe we should just release more Vong, and give them more and more options? Jesus Christ and Mary. I wish someone could just take the time and explain the logic of all this to me. I would appreciate that almost as much as spending time desigining within the Sith Faction.
jen'ari
Posted: Thursday, June 22, 2017 4:22:37 PM

Here we go

Sith Emperor

Cost 21

HP 60
Def 18
Atk 7
Dam 10

Unique
Force Wielder: this character's force powers are unstoppable
Emplacement

Force 3: Renewal 3: MoF 2

Force Lightning 3
Force Lightning 4
Sith hunger 5
Illusion
Dark Aura

CE:
Sith allies gain Momentum and GMA.

jen'ari
Posted: Thursday, June 22, 2017 5:09:23 PM

Disclaimer ^^the above^^ is a joke
General_Grievous
Posted: Thursday, June 22, 2017 5:19:03 PM

Shmi have you read my post in force users? And have you tried using the Queen or new Plagueis yet? A team using the latter came in second in our regional and they definitely have some great new options using him. Between Plagueis and Amanoa they are getting some solid help with fewer activation squads. Blanket damage reduction and heal is nothing to scoff at. Let alone their new Lost Tribe subfaction is becoming amazing. See Talon and Isolationist.

They still have some classic strong pieces too like Revan who can deep strike and swap so hard it makes Thrawn think twice. And one of the few factions to have booming voice too. The Sith are strong in a very different and Sith kind of way.

This Vong piece, well a bit complex is hopefully going to break out some different variety for the Vong. And variety is always good in my books.
jen'ari
Posted: Thursday, June 22, 2017 5:31:48 PM

Sith are pretty competitive and have been competitive in some form or other.

I don't know though. from a flavor stand point all the defense is Sith makes them playable. Amanoa, Zannah, Aleema, Plageuis, Cognus, Caedus (greek theology with all the 'us's)

Your attack pieces like Bane and .... um.... Exar Kun? have no defense.

I think Lightsaber Defense is warranted on a lot of sith masters I mean, they do have to defend as well.

I would like to see a Sith master that costs 65 or so that has good moving attack (assault or GMA or Charging Asssault with twin) good damage and like Shien Style.

Something simple.

What about Anakin when he turns Darth Vader before the legs and arm getting hacked?
That guy would be a fun build, very mobile, very defense, very charge at you, has some force push 3 going on and some choke of some kind maybe even that new uber powerful one Kylo Ren has.
General_Grievous
Posted: Thursday, June 22, 2017 6:11:03 PM

How about something like: http://www.bloomilk.com/Custom/23142/kasim
jen'ari
Posted: Thursday, June 22, 2017 6:31:17 PM

General_Grievous wrote:

absolutely not. lightsaber trainer cannot ever be in Sith. it will change the faction forever.

but that specialization is something to look into
CorellianComedian
Posted: Thursday, June 22, 2017 7:01:36 PM

jen'ari wrote:
General_Grievous wrote:

absolutely not. lightsaber trainer cannot ever be in Sith. it will change the faction forever.

but that specialization is something to look into

Can't have Lord Kaan getting Niman Style now Wink

You're totally right though, there are a lot of potential problems with that, and they all start with Z.

Is there anyone other than Zannah, though? I mean, Zannah with this piece would be way OP - against Melee, she'd have Soresu, Makashi, a free LD, and then Force Bubble. That's way, WAY too much. I think Zannah would be the only problem so far, though - the only other potential abusers I see right now are Warb Null and Lord Scourge. I guess Maul DWO would be pretty tanky too.

Still though, that Specialization would work wonders.
General_Grievous
Posted: Thursday, June 22, 2017 7:15:02 PM

Could also give him rival for characters with a lightsaber style? Or just drop it and make him give one person SSM? Could change it slightly so it only affects commanders? Or best option just make him cost 48. And then boom no Zannah.
jen'ari
Posted: Thursday, June 22, 2017 7:16:20 PM

General_Grievous wrote:
Could also give him rival for characters with a lightsaber style? Or just drop it and make him give one person SSM?

than it becomes function over flavor.
there is no need for lightsaber trainer in Sith. right now there is no really bad use of it at 50 points. (lomi plo gets good).

but it is the futur designs that would be the issue
TimmerB123
Posted: Thursday, June 22, 2017 8:49:47 PM

FYI - Sith have made the GenCon top eight almost every year since set 2 was released.
Jaq'ed Up, Krayt/Revan, Dance of Death, etc. (I don't even think Malgus ever made top 8, but he was frequently right there.)

Vong only finally made it in, and the breaking point was the Yun Ne'shell Priest. The Lah Warriors were out the GenCon before, and the Subcommander (blast bugs) the year before that. It took the combo of all 3 broken pieces to finally get them in.

There has never been a truly competitive Song squad featuring uniques and attacking as primary damage dealing.

Sith - that has almost always been the case.

Sith have one of the best shooters in the game (Jaq), one of the bestsellers swappers (Revan), one of the best movement manipulators (Caedus) - and still some great cheap tech that Long don't have access to.

Vong have so many disadvantages, ESPECIALLY in terms of Uniques.

Having a Vong squad where the focus is on Uniques and Attacks is something we really haven't seen in the competitive realm.

Ever.

So this is new. This cannot realistically be stacked with blast bugs. This cannot realistically be combined with Lah warriors. This cannot be realistically stacked with the Yun Ne'shell priest (at least not the avoid defeat aspect).

This is a whole new way to build with Vong. It's back to basics.

It FEELS very Vong when playing it. You rush in and attacks start flying everywhere.

I play tested this piece, and honestly - I lost to a sith squad (Darth Baras coincidentally), but it was very close, and it was VERY FUN! We had an absolute blast playing it.

And it is not my playstyle, not my faction, not my cup of tea. But I had to admit it was fun.

Try it out before you condemn it.

It's not broken. It's not the crazy NPE that blast bugs, Lah Warriors, and avoid defeat Yun Neshell silliness are.

It's lots of attacks, lots of damage, lots of killing, and no cat-and-mouse/hide-and-seek crap.

It's exactly what most people have been begging for.