RegisterDonateLogin

Mind what you have learned. Save you it can.

Welcome Guest Active Topics | Members

OP Squads Right now Options
TheHutts
Posted: Wednesday, June 21, 2017 12:55:42 PM
Groups: Member

I think the three strong NPE squads for me are:
i) Thrawn with Boba/Cad and Morrigan Corde - you get high activations, init control, big movement, tempo control, and unpreventable damage (you can play Pellaeon as well).
ii) Blast Bug swarms - the cloaked Praetorite guys are very difficult for a lot of squads, even if they fall over to Yobuck. You can get Peace Brigade as backup shooters. I feel like you should have to pay through the nose for the Blast Bug CE.
iii) Daala - still really good, even after all the errata.

All three squads are high activation, and can get or counter tempo control.

I'm also concerned about a couple of other swarms, like KBSVs.

Less worried about stuff like Threepio (even if I think he came out too cheap and 3720 to 1 is a problem), Father, Jango etc, as I like squads that promote low activations and uniques.
shmi15
Posted: Wednesday, June 21, 2017 1:48:30 PM

I'm not a huge fan of squads that "require" you to play something to beat it. Every Vong squad that has been good in my lifetime has been an NPE, from Nom Bombs to the current. I actually refuse to play them to the point that I forfeit matches if my opponent sets down a Vong squad,

And I am on board for the "nixing" of non canon stuff ;) lol I single the Vong out because it is an entire faction, easy to take care of. I just personally feel the faction has to much tech, to many cheap damage boosts/attack boosts. To much direct damage. Easy to cloak everyone, now they can start halfway up the board. Not t mention they get to jack a CE from your opponent. I've probably missed something, but thats all I'm willing to go through. Its to much, and they just continue to get cheap tech, with new tricks. I know it will never happen. Its more of a Christmas wish than anything else.

And man... How awesome would it be to say " This 7 activation Force Using Squad is tough to beat!" I would probably cry.Flapper
Naarkon
Posted: Wednesday, June 21, 2017 2:27:40 PM

shmi15 wrote:
And man... How awesome would it be to say " This 7 activation Force Using Squad is tough to beat!" I would probably cry.Flapper

If you haven't already, I would encourage you to try the new Plagueis. Not unbeatable by any means, but very fun and good. Squads with a couple of Sith beatsticks and minimal tech are playable.

I haven't ever played as or against blast bugs, so this is mostly my unsupported opinion, but I would be in favor of leaving blastbugs on nonuniques but allowing a save 16 for no damage, like suggested earlier. Yes, having a bunch of saves is annoying at times, but I guess the way I see it if you hate rolling dice you might be playing the wrong game.

I think Jangalore is still pretty new to be nerfed. Probably should just keep an eye on him through gencon. If he seems to be overperforming or an NPE then he should be looked at, but my gut reaction would be to let a squad that promotes low activations and playing iconic uniques be one of the more powerful squads (while working on some soft counters).

Also, as semi-casual, semi-competitive player, the existence of strafe/gallop is a really bad reason to not nerf a squad. I know that those abilities help to balance out the power of swarm squads, but pieces like lancer and yobuck are good against EVERYTHING. Yes, they have counters and horrible match-ups, like anything else, but to me they are a soft NPE. At the very least it is a majorly better version of mobile attack that can keep your pieces safe while dealing damage, and at worst it takes out an entire squad in an activation.
TimmerB123
Posted: Wednesday, June 21, 2017 2:49:26 PM

juice man wrote:
atmsalad wrote:

To both the Warrior Caste Subcommander and the Togorian Black Sun Vigo I think we should limit their CE's. In the case of the Warrior Caste Subcommander I think his CE should be changed to affecting Unique Vong. For the Togorian Black Sun Vigo I think his CE should be limited to characters whose name contains Black Sun Vigo and characters named xizor. This removes the NPE nature of these squads, but still allows a rendition to be played, albeit a lot less powerful.

Designer intent is not a good excuse for keeping poor elements of our game intact. Some times people have bad ideas, lets own it, fix it, and move on with the game. Also, I am aware there are far reaching impacts when it comes to removing this stuff. Please do not give me a "THINK OF THE CHILDREN" argument on this, its old and tired.

I think the Warrior Caste Subcommander solution should be a save 16 for no damage. Yes, more saves, more die rolling and more luck, but hell, this is just that kind of game.

Frankly most unique Vong suck. Playing all unique Vong is about as much fun as playing against a Blast Bug squad when you've got armored force users.

If only there was a NEW VONG PIECE that gave a huge boost (or boosts) to make UNIQUE VONG playable!!!

did anyone listen to last week's SHNN?
TimmerB123
Posted: Wednesday, June 21, 2017 3:56:14 PM

juice man wrote:
atmsalad wrote:

Also, I am aware there are far reaching impacts when it comes to removing this stuff. Please do not give me a "THINK OF THE CHILDREN" argument on this, its old and tired.

Huh?

It the oft tossed around excuse for not doing an errata.
-"Kids come to a tourney not knowing the errata then cry, blah blah"

It's not a valid rgument anymore (if it ever was)
shmi15
Posted: Wednesday, June 21, 2017 6:11:21 PM

TimmerB123 wrote:
juice man wrote:
atmsalad wrote:

To both the Warrior Caste Subcommander and the Togorian Black Sun Vigo I think we should limit their CE's. In the case of the Warrior Caste Subcommander I think his CE should be changed to affecting Unique Vong. For the Togorian Black Sun Vigo I think his CE should be limited to characters whose name contains Black Sun Vigo and characters named xizor. This removes the NPE nature of these squads, but still allows a rendition to be played, albeit a lot less powerful.

Designer intent is not a good excuse for keeping poor elements of our game intact. Some times people have bad ideas, lets own it, fix it, and move on with the game. Also, I am aware there are far reaching impacts when it comes to removing this stuff. Please do not give me a "THINK OF THE CHILDREN" argument on this, its old and tired.

I think the Warrior Caste Subcommander solution should be a save 16 for no damage. Yes, more saves, more die rolling and more luck, but hell, this is just that kind of game.

Frankly most unique Vong suck. Playing all unique Vong is about as much fun as playing against a Blast Bug squad when you've got armored force users.

If only there was a NEW VONG PIECE that gave a huge boost (or boosts) to make UNIQUE VONG playable!!!

did anyone listen to last week's SHNN?

Stop this!
CorellianComedian
Posted: Wednesday, June 21, 2017 6:38:56 PM

I'd vote that we don't crucify Jangalore just yet. (Who came up with that name, by the way? That's hilarious.)

I think Blast Bugs are a problem, but I think the whole Vong faction is a problem.

Now before anyone shoulder-tackles me, I'm not saying we should kick them out of the game.

But, while some factions fared poorly under WotC, the Vong were permanently maimed. The Shaper was a great idea, but range 6 was stupid. However, because it's an easily-accessible straight-up damage boost, every Vong piece has to take that into account.

So right out of the gate, the Vong have a tech piece (Yammosk) to make all the rest of their tech usable. And all Vong have to be almost useless on their own in order to compensate for getting boardwide +10.

OR, if you don't feel like fighting up close, you can choose from a myriad of annoying direct-damage options, many of which still require lots of background tech to get ranges up and boosts applied across the board.

The Important Part: When I'm bored, I'll hop onto Bloo Milk and look at recent squads. I enjoy looking at how they might work. It took about a year, but I (mostly) figured out how the competitive game works simply by analyzing Bloo Milk squads. That said, I usually skip Vong squads, because they have a dogpile of weird tech pieces that you have to have in order to be competitive.

To be fair, other factions have some odd squads (out-act-and-smash is hard to wrap your head around without seeing it in action), but the Vong are hard-wired to need a ton of tech to do anything useful. To compensate for their gameplay awkwardness, they get cool stuff like Nom-bombs, spit poison, blast bugs, etc.

I guess what I'm saying is, this would be a ton of work, but it wouldn't be the end of the world to just overhaul the Vong faction completely. All of the other secondary factions recovered nicely under the v-sets, but Vong are just too messy and awkward to match up well with the other factions.
TimmerB123
Posted: Wednesday, June 21, 2017 6:53:47 PM

CorellianComedian wrote:
I'd vote that we don't crucify Jangalore just yet. (Who came up with that name, by the way? That's hilarious.)

I think Blast Bugs are a problem, but I think the whole Vong faction is a problem.

Now before anyone shoulder-tackles me, I'm not saying we should kick them out of the game.

But, while some factions fared poorly under WotC, the Vong were permanently maimed. The Shaper was a great idea, but range 6 was stupid. However, because it's an easily-accessible straight-up damage boost, every Vong piece has to take that into account.

So right out of the gate, the Vong have a tech piece (Yammosk) to make all the rest of their tech usable. And all Vong have to be almost useless on their own in order to compensate for getting boardwide +10.

OR, if you don't feel like fighting up close, you can choose from a myriad of annoying direct-damage options, many of which still require lots of background tech to get ranges up and boosts applied across the board.

The Important Part: When I'm bored, I'll hop onto Bloo Milk and look at recent squads. I enjoy looking at how they might work. It took about a year, but I (mostly) figured out how the competitive game works simply by analyzing Bloo Milk squads. That said, I usually skip Vong squads, because they have a dogpile of weird tech pieces that you have to have in order to be competitive.

To be fair, other factions have some odd squads (out-act-and-smash is hard to wrap your head around without seeing it in action), but the Vong are hard-wired to need a ton of tech to do anything useful. To compensate for their gameplay awkwardness, they get cool stuff like Nom-bombs, spit poison, blast bugs, etc.

I guess what I'm saying is, this would be a ton of work, but it wouldn't be the end of the world to just overhaul the Vong faction completely. All of the other secondary factions recovered nicely under the v-sets, but Vong are just too messy and awkward to match up well with the other factions.

So wait - you mean like one or two tech pieces and then a small handful of solid attackers and have your squad do good old fashioned attacks to do damage?

Huh. I wonder if that's possible. . . listen to last weeks SHNN
shmi15
Posted: Wednesday, June 21, 2017 7:21:46 PM

TimmerB123 wrote:
CorellianComedian wrote:

So wait - you mean like one or two tech pieces and then a small handful of solid attackers and have your squad do good old fashioned attacks to do damage?

Huh. I wonder if that's possible. . . listen to last weeks SHNN

What I've heard so far... and I don't know if I'm just being ignored, or no one wants to just say it... But Vong have everything right now, they are annoying, and can get just about anything you can think of... And now your telling me they have 2 new tech pieces, that add yet another play style type for them?
juice man
Posted: Thursday, June 22, 2017 4:31:18 AM

shmi15 wrote:

What I've heard so far... and I don't know if I'm just being ignored, or no one wants to just say it... But Vong have everything right now, they are annoying, and can get just about anything you can think of... And now your telling me they have 2 new tech pieces, that add yet another play style type for them?
No - Vong don't have everything.
Yes - They are annoying.
No - You can't get anything you can think of.
? - Who knows about the new pieces. (only those who listened/talked to/on SHNN and sadly, they aren't telling the rest of usCrying )
atmsalad
Posted: Thursday, June 22, 2017 5:04:07 AM

CorellianComedian wrote:
I'd vote that we don't crucify Jangalore just yet.

I agree that we should wait until after gencon to change him, but disagree that no change is warranted. The Furious Assault and Accurate Shot combo should have been something left to obscure combinations that you had to pay way to much to actually be worth it, and to the epics sets. It is one of the biggest power creep cases in the V-Sets to date.

The other factors is his overall survivability. He has 130 hit-points, Quick Draw, Flight(I consider it defensive), Solitary, Defensive Stance +4, Beskar'gam 6 and a base 19 defense. Because of Solitarys impact and how easily it is attained you may as well consider him to have a base 23 defense.

Of the 23 other characters that have over a 22 defense 7 of them are epics... and none are shooters... Now Jangolore can also boost himself up to a 27 defense. Only one other character has that ability to boost himself up to a 27 defense, Darth Maul Shadow Hunter and he is an epic. His boost actually isn't even as good as Jangos, since his is light-saber duelist, lol.

I could go on, but y'all get the picture... I hope
TimmerB123
Posted: Thursday, June 22, 2017 5:58:17 AM

shmi15 wrote:
And now your telling me they have 2 new tech pieces

Ummm. No I didn't. You misinterpreted that.

juice man wrote:
Who knows about the new pieces. (only those who listened/talked to/on SHNN and sadly, they aren't telling the rest of usCrying )

It's not like it's some secret show that you had to have heard live or you missed it forever.

It is accessible to anyone at any time. Just go listen to it for the love of if Force! (it's a good show, Bryan and Jason and several other community members that are regulars that call in do a great job.)
Deaths_Baine
Posted: Thursday, June 22, 2017 6:01:17 AM

TimmerB123 wrote:
shmi15 wrote:
And now your telling me they have 2 new tech pieces

Ummm. No I didn't. You misinterpreted that.

juice man wrote:
Who knows about the new pieces. (only those who listened/talked to/on SHNN and sadly, they aren't telling the rest of usCrying )

It's not like it's some secret show that you had to have heard live or you missed it forever.

It is accessible to anyone at any time. Just go listen to it for the love of if Force! (it's a good show, Bryan and Jason and several other community members that are regulars that call in do a great job.)

I want to call in on the show sometime. I think it would be fun.
TimmerB123
Posted: Thursday, June 22, 2017 6:20:42 AM

Please do!
Deaths_Baine
Posted: Thursday, June 22, 2017 1:24:59 PM

atmsalad wrote:
CorellianComedian wrote:

I agree that we should wait until after gencon to change him, but disagree that no change is warranted. The Furious Assault and Accurate Shot combo should have been something left to obscure combinations that you had to pay way to much to actually be worth it, and to the epics sets. It is one of the biggest power creep cases in the V-Sets to date.

The other factors is his overall survivability. He has 130 hit-points, Quick Draw, Flight(I consider it defensive), Solitary, Defensive Stance +4, Beskar'gam 6 and a base 19 defense. Because of Solitarys impact and how easily it is attained you may as well consider him to have a base 23 defense.

Of the 23 other characters that have over a 22 defense 7 of them are epics... and none are shooters... Now Jangolore can also boost himself up to a 27 defense. Only one other character has that ability to boost himself up to a 27 defense, Darth Maul Shadow Hunter and he is an epic. His boost actually isn't even as good as Jangos, since his is light-saber duelist, lol.

yeah this guy has a lot going on and fits into like all the categories for possible gameplay types. the other thing is mando's didn't need this guy...at all... I'm just not sure why this approach was taken.
jen'ari
Posted: Thursday, June 22, 2017 1:26:45 PM

I want to call in on the show sometime as well.
We can call it reality radio
Deaths_Baine
Posted: Thursday, June 22, 2017 1:28:52 PM

jen'ari wrote:
I want to call in on the show sometime as well.
We can call it reality radio

with me and you it would be lol. Bomb
jen'ari
Posted: Thursday, June 22, 2017 2:01:41 PM

Deaths_Baine
Posted: Thursday, June 22, 2017 2:05:00 PM

jen'ari wrote:
"She made it realer"

Lol what a skit
atmsalad
Posted: Friday, June 23, 2017 6:12:03 AM

Deaths_Baine wrote:
atmsalad wrote:
CorellianComedian wrote:

yeah this guy has a lot going on and fits into like all the categories for possible gameplay types. the other thing is mando's didn't need this guy...at all... I'm just not sure why this approach was taken.

What they needed was a counter to strafe and out activate and smash, his CE is probably the most important part of him in that regard. So I cant say that he didn't bring a necessary aspect to the mandos. Most of the faction is an innate scissor option, multiple characters with double and triple is a very good scissors option IMO. So I think that side of him was overkill.

When it comes to a tanky character, mandos dont have a lot of good options for that, IMO. Vindicated is about the only competitive one I can think of. So I can see where some of the thought process went into him, but he ended up with a jack of all trades build, only he masters quite a few of them.

Ive heard the argument that hes specialized and what not. He as an individual character has weaknesses, but I would think you could cover some if not most of them in his compatriots. Maybe Shae Viz in case you face tanks, maybe vindicated for vong and his CE does help against tanks. He struggles against cloaked and SS, but really what shooter doesnt?

The movement you can get in a squad with him is absolutely insane. Just with Kelborn he can go 36 squares by round 2 for a massive furious accurate depending on the matchup. Plus, with mando the resurrecter you get an additional 10 damage.

My solution would be change accurate to sniper, lose solitary and possible cost decrease. Increasing your hit chance by 20% on him and making so he doesnt get the damage boost would do enough to calm him down I believe. He would still be a faction defining power 10 piece, but would lose the furious accurate uber tank capabilities.