RegisterDonateLogin

Makes you a wonderful human being.

Welcome Guest Active Topics | Members

CCC Reboot Week 63 - A SHRUBBERY!!! Options
General_Grievous
Posted: Saturday, July 29, 2017 4:50:56 AM
Groups: Member

Nice surf! Another cool one. I would change scholar of the dark side to say "allied characters gain +4 to saves against enemy force powers whose name contains Sith." because currently there is no power who's exactly named Sith. And I think it's more fitting that he's boosting his friends
I would personally go with T'ra Saa because we don't have one yet and your version is so awesome.
surf_rider56
Posted: Saturday, July 29, 2017 6:16:28 AM

General_Grievous wrote:
Nice surf! Another cool one. I would change scholar of the dark side to say "allied characters gain +4 to saves against enemy force powers whose name contains Sith." because currently there is no power who's exactly named Sith. And I think it's more fitting that he's boosting his friends
I would personally go with T'ra Saa because we don't have one yet and your version is so awesome.

What I ment when I said "Sith" was Sith Magic, Sith Sorcery & Sith Spell (my reference to being activated involuntarily?)

T'Ta Saa is nice but I Hate that pic! I'll be stubborn and go with Ood as I drive to Vegas today.
General_Grievous
Posted: Saturday, July 29, 2017 6:40:40 AM

surf_rider56 wrote:
General_Grievous wrote:

What I ment when I said "Sith" was Sith Magic, Sith Sorcery & Sith Spell (my reference to being activated involuntarily?)

T'Ta Saa is nice but I Hate that pic! I'll be stubborn and go with Ood as I drive to Vegas today.

I think you just have to change it to name contains instead of named, since named specifies Sith is a force power
kobayashimaru
Posted: Saturday, July 29, 2017 10:10:01 PM

voting time!

1. Surf_Rider56's Revwien Wanderer - if this is not possible, Ood Bnar hehe.
2. jak's Thornsniper Plant
3. Lord Ball's Gnarltree

it was awesome to see all the neat ideas and approaches,
and there was no cookie-cutter-itis,
there was a good spread of some emplacements, some standlones and even forcewielders.
General_Grievous
Posted: Sunday, July 30, 2017 8:02:44 PM

Naarkon, interesting piece and I think it's an appropriate disruptive diplomat, may be hard to set up in your opponents area but still solid for gambit control.

Saber, I think you have created a really interesting piece here that does fit thematically if it's still a bit harsh though against the Vong faction as a whole. I still think it would need a cost increase as regen and 100 hp would allow it to deny vong access to gambit almost entirely until they cut it down. But cool stuff!

Spry, maybe adjacent only was too much of a nerf but this would still be nice to set up in gambit. Though maybe a touch fragile as is. Love the simple role it occupies though.

Surf, man some solid designs here. You know my favourite is T'ra but you also did a great job with Ood. Not to mention that change to scholar really makes him perfect. A jedi plant, and a solid one at that. Class act!

Jak, an interesting sarlaac-like piece to dent the enemy ground. I still think it needs those tweaks I mentioned but overall cool design.

Blemelisk, super solid design, a few things going on here and I still think Wild flower should have just been a generic save for ease of gameplay but you built a great cheap gambit holder/harasser.

Lord Ball, simple, check. Making huges better, check. Quasi-reserves, check. Have Grievous in the name... well that one was hard hahaha. Well done for most of my favourite things haha. Solid and simple!

Final thoughts:

3rd Blemelisk
2nd Lord Ball
1st Surf
Lord_Ball
Posted: Monday, July 31, 2017 6:26:05 AM

1 Naarkon
2 saber1
3 Surf
surf_rider56
Posted: Monday, July 31, 2017 12:22:44 PM

Apoligies for not commenting on others pieces before now; just squeezing out one last trip before school starts in a few weeks. Now, lets take a look ....

Ch'hala Tree - Naarkon. Interesting idea, my only critique is Diplomat on a tree. Something about only being attacked by an adjacent character but a Tree with Diplomat? Sounds too weird, for me anyway.

Lambent Tree - GG. Very interesting idea! Vongsense for every Jedi!

Olbio Tree - spryguy. I sense a gambit-denying trend. Makes me wonder if they should have had a Ysalimari in each tree, or a baby ysalimari with limited Force Immunity. A workable idea at the minimum. Cool.

ThornSniper Plant - jak. Jak, your puns kill me. Interesting idea but I agree with GG on the Survival ability. Wook doesn't mention anything like it, but otherwise nice!

Kewafi flower - blemelisk. I think you try to fit too much in and go for the "All bases covered, all things to all people approach." Depending on how you cost it, it's closer to 15-17 points. You have a rationale for everything, fine. But you could lose Melee (It Shoots barbs,) Cloaked, Self Destruct and Immutable and it would have been fine with so little Wook to go on. Simplify my friend!

Gnarltree - LB. What a fascinating idea! The Regen part about "not moving this turn" on an Emplacement bugs me a little. Also, making it 100 points guarentees a minimum of 2 spiders and 3 is very doable. That "bugs" me a little; 50 pts where the 2nd spider isn't a given and 3 definitly more difficult would have been easier to swallow.

Votes

3rd - spry

2nd - jak

1st - GG

Honorable Mention. Naak & LB. Sorry Naak I couldn't get past the Diplomt bit and the 100 pt Gnarl was a leaf too much LB. Cool

spryguy1981
Posted: Monday, July 31, 2017 1:49:20 PM

1. Jak
2. Surf
3. Lord ball
Naarkon
Posted: Monday, July 31, 2017 2:04:42 PM

surf_rider56 wrote:
Ch'hala Tree - Naarkon. Interesting idea, my only critique is Diplomat on a tree. Something about only being attacked by an adjacent character but a Tree with Diplomat? Sounds too weird, for me anyway

I will admit that the name of the ability doesn't really fit, but it gave me the mechanic I needed. Wanted it to be able to survive in the middle of the enemy squad (so it could work) without a load of hitpoints or something like that. I'm fine with how you voted, just clarifying my choice.
blemelisk
Posted: Monday, July 31, 2017 2:17:46 PM

1: GG: VERY simple, and very thematic. I really like it!
2: Saber1: VERY good anti vong defense there.
3: Spryguy: very interesting force canceling tree.

Surf: I really liked your Ood Bnar, I found it to be a very good representation of the character. I found the Scholar wording to be a bit odd. If your allies are to have the Save 6 VS the Save 11 of Sith abilities, why does it say "Enemy Characters"? Otherwise, like I said, i REALLY like the art and what you have done to represent the character! Smile

Naarkon: VERY interesting Idea, and accurate to the 'Legacy'.

For my piece, Surf may have been right about melee, likely should have removed it and blanked the attack and damage and just used the barbs. The immutable and cloak i stand by, but the self destruct might have been too much/not needed. I was going for a harasser, a road bump for you to purchase for 10 points (each) to place to slow down the enemy in an area (or for Gambit). I purposefully made it all but useless against droid characters (as obviously poison shouldnt affect droids). In a way this thing was like a very light turret that was useless against droids and could only do so much damage depending on the rolls its target. As it was a flower and completely non sentient, I wanted to represent that fact by it attacking ANY character that got in range (whichever one was closest). If you ignored it (as an opponent) it really could have become a THORN (see what I did there Flapper ) in your side.
surf_rider56
Posted: Monday, July 31, 2017 2:59:56 PM

blemelisk wrote:
why does it say "Enemy Characters"? Otherwise, like I said, i REALLY like the art and what you have done to represent the character! Smile

Well .... with sooo many characters lately jumping factions for various reasons, with my luck you'd have an allied Sith character with a FP named Sith something .... he's a generic Jedi so ......
Lord_Ball
Posted: Tuesday, August 1, 2017 3:57:48 AM

surf_rider56 wrote:
Gnarltree - LB. What a fascinating idea! The Regen part about "not moving this turn" on an Emplacement bugs me a little. Also, making it 100 points guarentees a minimum of 2 spiders and 3 is very doable. That "bugs" me a little; 50 pts where the 2nd spider isn't a given and 3 definitly more difficult would have been easier to swallow.

Well it would take 6 turns to get the 3rd one (and survive) and with an 8 defense even a Battle droid should have no problem damaging the tree by then. Also, the Knobbies are "weakened" when they break off making them much easier to deal with. Your concerns are valid and it would definitely need playtesting to find out where the sweet spot is. In several ways it's kind of like a delayed rapport(15) for the knobby, which based on the rapport of other huges isn't too crazy when you factor in the damage they take.

One of my main goals when making customs is, whenever possible, make it encourage playing older WOTC pieces, which this obviously does so I'm pretty happy with the overall design (playtesting to tweak wherever needed), Thanks for your input.
surf_rider56
Posted: Tuesday, August 1, 2017 5:22:23 AM

Ok, so who won?
jak
Posted: Tuesday, August 1, 2017 5:36:55 AM

surf_rider56 wrote:
Ok, so who won?

wait, I'm gonna vote nowWoot
jak
Posted: Tuesday, August 1, 2017 5:46:54 AM

1st-Spry
2nd-Nark
3rd-Blem

great work all
loved the plant idea
that's thinking outta the (flower) box
surf_rider56
Posted: Tuesday, August 1, 2017 6:08:00 AM

Well, by my count we have GG & I at 6 pts and jak, Naark & spry at 5. (Koba's vote doesn't count since he didn't make a custom.) I'll admit my brain is fuzzy this morn. Anybody count different?

saber didn't vote. Anybody know him well enough to ask?
Lord_Ball
Posted: Tuesday, August 1, 2017 6:10:45 AM

koba's vote would still count (meaning you won), anyone can vote.
surf_rider56
Posted: Tuesday, August 1, 2017 6:12:20 AM

Lord_Ball wrote:
koba's vote would still count (meaning you won), anyone can vote.

I thought we originally said you must vote to make your piece count, implication being you had to make a custom to enter and thereby vote?
Lord_Ball
Posted: Tuesday, August 1, 2017 6:16:37 AM

Rule 6 5 is anyone with 10+ posts can vote

That rule (6 - had my numbers mixed up there) references that if you made a custom and don't vote all votes cast for you are void, which would not apply since you voted and won.
surf_rider56
Posted: Tuesday, August 1, 2017 7:03:24 AM

Ok .... I can take a hint BigGrin