RegisterDonateLogin

Wars not make one great. (But Bloo Milk does.)

Welcome Guest Active Topics | Members

Parry + Evade Options
Naarkon
Posted: Tuesday, August 1, 2017 6:17:22 AM
Groups: Member

So this might come across as a little bit of a rant, and I'm not really angry, but here goes.

Please, for the love of everything stop giving melee pieces parry and evade. If you want them to block everything give them Soresu Style Mastery, or make up a new ability if they aren't a force user. If you want them to block some attacks and have weaknesses against others, give them one or the other, not both.

Darth Cognus is a fantastic piece. She has a lot of tricks and tools, but has limited force, damage, and attacks. With stealth, parry, evade, doctrine of fear, and force suppression, she is clearly quite tanky. Against other melee pieces, she can last an entire game in the middle of the enemy squad with some luck. Against shooters she is hard to hit if you can even target her.

Guess how many activations she lasts once decent shooters get next to her.

Two, maybe three activations and she's dead.

This annoys me to no end. If I am playing a melee piece against a ranged piece of roughly equal point values, the shooter should want to stay away and use his range to his advantage. Instead, both pieces meet in the middle, and the guy with the lightsaber (you know, the thing that cuts through everything and blocks blasters) ends up dead with zero chance to block anything.

Again, the argument can be made that pieces need to have weak spots that the enemy can exploit. However, this particular weak spot is only available to exploit by pieces that already have an inherent advantage over melee pieces (shooters).

The solution is very simple. Give a piece either parry or evade, and drop some points for the missing one. Make the weak spot larger and give the player more points to work some tech in, or eliminate the weak spot (SSM). Having such a specific (and moronic) weak spot is very frustrating. In the specific example of Cognus, drop evade and however many points that gives you (maybe 3-4?). She still has stealth so she isn't helpless. Now I can upgrade my Freedon Nadd DFS to an Exar Kun DFS and I know that I have to careful around shooters. Except that nothing changed except the ghosts. I already had to worry about shooters, but now I have more flexibility.

Edit: I realize that very few pieces actually have parry and evade, but it still is annoying. My last two regional squads used Cognus and Tenel Ka, both have the combo.
jen'ari
Posted: Tuesday, August 1, 2017 6:55:32 AM

Ya it sucks that Evade does not work on adjacent opponents. I think for force users it should. Deflect is built that way afterall
CorellianComedian
Posted: Tuesday, August 1, 2017 7:10:29 AM

If I may add to your excellent rant, regular Soresu Style should work against adjacent characters. Right now Soresu Style is the EXACT same thing as Evade.

To fairly represent the other side of the coin, though, if shooters have no incentive to get close, they will stay out of melee reach anyways. Cognus can at least hit them at close range. If they have no benefit to getting close, they'll just park as far away as possible and lay down suppression fire the entire game - which is fine for pieces with Stealth (like Cognus), but works out terribly for pieces with bad/no ranged defense (i.e. Critdu, anyone with Deflect but no MotF). So it's kind of a catch-22; if shooters have incentive to get close, it hurts some melee pieces but gives others a chance to actually fight.
Deaths_Baine
Posted: Tuesday, August 1, 2017 7:29:03 AM

we should just give everyone shien style.
shmi15
Posted: Tuesday, August 1, 2017 7:41:38 AM

Deaths_Baine wrote:
we should just give everyone shien style.

There will never be an accurate representation of Melee in SWM. The designers are mostly pro-shooter players, so they focus more on anti-Jedi than Jedi. No matter what shooters will dominate the tables, because they enjoy it.
TimmerB123
Posted: Tuesday, August 1, 2017 9:27:29 AM

shmi15 wrote:
The designers are mostly pro-shooter players.

This is absolutely false
jen'ari
Posted: Tuesday, August 1, 2017 9:46:00 AM

CorellianComedian wrote:
If I may add to your excellent rant, regular Soresu Style should work against adjacent characters. Right now Soresu Style is the EXACT same thing as Evade.

To fairly represent the other side of the coin, though, if shooters have no incentive to get close, they will stay out of melee reach anyways. Cognus can at least hit them at close range. If they have no benefit to getting close, they'll just park as far away as possible and lay down suppression fire the entire game - which is fine for pieces with Stealth (like Cognus), but works out terribly for pieces with bad/no ranged defense (i.e. Critdu, anyone with Deflect but no MotF). So it's kind of a catch-22; if shooters have incentive to get close, it hurts some melee pieces but gives others a chance to actually fight.

Soresu should most definitely work against nonmelee attacks even while adjacent.

A lot of shooters stay far away anyway, or have a way to get close and than move away and stay out of danger or have death shots where killing them sucks for you anyway, etc.

TBH, Shooters are doing just as much damage or more than melee users and often have more attacks. The only real thing they lack are HP.
I like RDE and think more force users should have it.

Our community is tough on changes to rules. but if designers started putting out force users with certain "auto includes" we could see the game shift. The problem is that designers do have differing views and we come out with very defensive force users or not enough movement force users or just more great shooters.
but If I was designing a force user I think I would throw RDE on any piece that costs more than 35. just yep, it is on there. Same thing with Knight Speed, just throw it on there because the game needs to shift and it is not that crazy powerful.
I would throw Soresu/Shien on people who have proven to use it as well. I would also have some more Acrobatic characters. What jedi does Acrobatic not fit? there are a few, but for the most part they should all have it.

Think about a Republic Unique Jedi Follower that costs 47 with Knight Speed, Acrobatic, and RDE +2.
Now we are talking because it can grab Soresu and GMA from Cin Drallig with possible Momentum from Gen Sky.

That is a Jedi that can get even the playing field caused by the power of not having to be adjacent.
shmi15
Posted: Wednesday, August 2, 2017 8:05:05 AM

TimmerB123 wrote:
shmi15 wrote:
The designers are mostly pro-shooter players.

This is absolutely false

I wonder how many designers have won tournaments with Melee squads? Interesting topic to be honest.

When I think of TimmerB, I think of Black and Blue. About as far away from a Melee squad as you can get. So I know you at least prefer shooters to Melee. But now I do wonder about the other designers... Where would I go to look for this information. I would love to be proved wrong in this. I guess I just assume they all play shooters, because of the anti melee pieces coming out.

Daniel was famous for Rebels, which are a shooters build. (Having 1 Melee does not mean its a melee squad)

Deri won with Mace and GOWK I believe, kudos to him for being bold with that.

David has won a few, but none with melee heavy, Mandos I think was actually the last one he won with.

Who else are designers? UrbanShmi and UrbanJedi? Not 100% sure what they run, but I would almost.... almost that is, wager they run shooter squads.

Would love to see this on paper.

Because I really would love to be wrong about this one.

UrbanShmi
Posted: Wednesday, August 2, 2017 8:18:02 AM
Groups: Member , Moderator

I run rock heavy or balance. Not shooter heavy. Never outact.

J runs a little bit of everything.

Lou runs rock.
FlyingArrow
Posted: Wednesday, August 2, 2017 8:24:04 AM
Groups: Member , Moderator

I need to update this, but set 15 designers are TJ, Daniel, Jason, Mike.

http://swmgamers.com/SWM/V-Sets/V-set%20Designers.html

The only two squads I've had significant success with are these two (one shooter, one melee):

http://www.bloomilk.com/Squad/143449/dance-of-death--ubertank--2nd-place-gencon-2015-
http://www.bloomilk.com/Squad/138208/bare-bones-snowtroopers (now illegal due to change to Rapport)
Deaths_Baine
Posted: Wednesday, August 2, 2017 8:26:36 AM

I want in on this debate, but from a different angle.

Is the game so fundamentally skewed to shooters that melee is at such a disadvantage we just haven't hit the sweet spot with design yet?

I think Ven Zallow is the perfect place to start from now on, the guy is legit against almost everything.
jak
Posted: Wednesday, August 2, 2017 9:38:24 AM

there is only 7 pieces with Evade & Parry.
only 1 was a WotC piece, Jareal

it is a powerful combo, but I don't see it as a major issue
Gizmotronx
Posted: Wednesday, August 2, 2017 10:36:12 AM

jen'ari wrote:
CorellianComedian wrote:

Soresu should most definitely work against nonmelee attacks even while adjacent.

A lot of shooters stay far away anyway, or have a way to get close and than move away and stay out of danger or have death shots where killing them sucks for you anyway, etc.

TBH, Shooters are doing just as much damage or more than melee users and often have more attacks. The only real thing they lack are HP.
I like RDE and think more force users should have it.

Our community is tough on changes to rules. but if designers started putting out force users with certain "auto includes" we could see the game shift. The problem is that designers do have differing views and we come out with very defensive force users or not enough movement force users or just more great shooters.
but If I was designing a force user I think I would throw RDE on any piece that costs more than 35. just yep, it is on there. Same thing with Knight Speed, just throw it on there because the game needs to shift and it is not that crazy powerful.
I would throw Soresu/Shien on people who have proven to use it as well. I would also have some more Acrobatic characters. What jedi does Acrobatic not fit? there are a few, but for the most part they should all have it.

Think about a Republic Unique Jedi Follower that costs 47 with Knight Speed, Acrobatic, and RDE +2.
Now we are talking because it can grab Soresu and GMA from Cin Drallig with possible Momentum from Gen Sky.

That is a Jedi that can get even the playing field caused by the power of not having to be adjacent.

Back to my desire for the next v-set... Rework WotC pieces that need help. What about... drum roll....

V-Set 15 - Jedi vs. Sith (probably not all in one set but stick with me)
Update the 140 WotC force users who are rated below an 8. Give them renewal since all force users should always be able to use force (65 with it.) Give master of the force like it's candy (16), give force attuned reflexes or w/e, throw movement helper like acrobatic, just make them playable. Give them evade and/or parry. I think it's ridiculous that a force user has to use a point to LS block or deflect, and non force users just roll.
atmsalad
Posted: Wednesday, August 2, 2017 12:25:01 PM

I play what I think has the best chance of winning, generally high act shooters. I'm not a designer, but most of my ideas and desires counter what I play or boost low act or melee squads.

Just because people play the best squads doesn't mean they don't want melee to be playable. There isn't a single designer that thinks that way, at least that I'm aware of.

One problem I see is this. We have community members that say "The designers are anti melee, they only play shooters, they get off thinking about Boba Fett AFH!!!! SHOOTERS SHOOTERS SHOOTERS!!!!!", And then we have members of the same community, sometimes the same people, saying "Mace shouldn't have flurry, Quigon with serenity is OP, we don't have a competitive Jango Fett, Obikin is an NPE, BoBa is the best shooter in star wars, no Baze Malbus is the best shooter in star wars, No Han is the best shooter in Star Wars, Base Malbus isn't good enough, Baze Malbus should be a shooter power house!!!! Baze Baze Baze Malbus Malbus Malbus!!!!!"

The point is we all want accurate representations to the star wars universe. Let's all try and get along while we figure that out, and may the force be with our adjacent attackers.
Deaths_Baine
Posted: Wednesday, August 2, 2017 12:47:55 PM

atmsalad wrote:
I play what I think has the best chance of winning, generally high act shooters. I'm not a designer, but most of my ideas and desires counter what I play or boost low act or melee squads.

Just because people play the best squads doesn't mean they don't want melee to be playable. There isn't a single designer that thinks that way, at least that I'm aware of.

One problem I see is this. We have community members that say "The designers are anti melee, they only play shooters, they get off thinking about Boba Fett AFH!!!! SHOOTERS SHOOTERS SHOOTERS!!!!!", And then we have members of the same community, sometimes the same people, saying "Mace shouldn't have flurry, Quigon with serenity is OP, we don't have a competitive Jango Fett, Obikin is an NPE, BoBa is the best shooter in star wars, no Baze Malbus is the best shooter in star wars, No Han is the best shooter in Star Wars, Base Malbus isn't good enough, Baze Malbus should be a shooter power house!!!! Baze Baze Baze Malbus Malbus Malbus!!!!!"

The point is we all want accurate representations to the star wars universe. Let's all try and get along while we figure that out, and may the force be with our adjacent attackers.

can I just add..... Baze Malbus LOL
CorellianComedian
Posted: Wednesday, August 2, 2017 1:48:06 PM

atmsalad wrote:

Well said, sir, and +1.

For the record, these designers people keep maligning are the same people who made Obi-Kin (super ranged-hate), Barada on Skiff (made to help melee), Covenant Defender (insane anti-ranged piece), Vader of Lothal, etc.
Naarkon
Posted: Wednesday, August 2, 2017 2:25:33 PM

jak wrote:
there is only 7 pieces with Evade & Parry.
only 1 was a WotC piece, Jareal

it is a powerful combo, but I don't see it as a major issue

I have no issue with the power level of the combo, as it has a weakness (adjacent shooters). What I hate is that it when the combo is on a melee piece it gives shooters the advantage where the melee piece should have one (getting up close and personal).

In other words, I think that the combo of parry and evade is actually overvalued and gives the pieces that have it a wierd blind spot in their defense that is not reflected in their costing, considering just how many shooters get stronger already when adjacent.
TheHutts
Posted: Wednesday, August 2, 2017 3:57:26 PM

atmsalad wrote:

Yeah, the protestations that happen whenever there's a strong Jedi are pretty bizarre. It's been tough for melee for a long time.
jen'ari
Posted: Wednesday, August 2, 2017 3:59:26 PM

atmsalad wrote:

I black list crappy mechanics because it pains me that they exist.
But that is just me.

I don't think you hear much criticism on melee pieces that are good designs. Lets be real. What are the good melee characters from the last couple of sets?
vset 10 to 13 (any other good ones)

Vader of Lothal
warb null
covenant defender
Queen Amonoa
Qui-Gon
Fifth Brother
Kylo Ren
Cognus
Revan, Redeemed,
Yaddle
Inquisitor
AoL Consular
Ben Skywalker
Jacen Solo
Imperial Knight Armorer
ObiKin
Son of Skywalker
Darth plageuis
Aleema Keto
The Father
Artoo
See-Threepio

Out of these the ones that might be competitive right now imo are:
Ben Skywalker
Cognus
Queen Amonoa
Darth Plageuis
VoL
Artoo
See-Threepio

In time you mght see the Army of Light and Covenant guy with Kylo Ren, Fifth Brother, and Imperial Knight Armorer as well.

How many of those designs are fun melee designs? how many of them are hard hitters?
how many of them are defensive melee designs? too many.

Where is the fun, well balanced melee pieces that can drop some damage?
How many of those do people actually play?
I am trying to perfect a VoL no Ozzel Imperial squad for the TN Regional.
I am under the impression that designers are trying to help melee, but are doing so in an unhelpful way.

The above list did little to nothing to help melee be more playable, imo.

Ven is a different story, just make more pieces that balance attack and defense with movement and there we go.
A piece like him in Sith would be amazing. Some mid cost survivable but pack a punch.. awesome.

MarioKart.
Mario is regular through the board.
Than you have your slow but powerful racers like Donkey King and Bowser.
Than you have your Fast but weak characters like Toad and Princess.

We need some of each. Sith has some Bowsers and one Toad, we need some Mario. Or we need more Bowser or we need some more Toad. We do not need some more tough but weak and slow builds.
Why do you think Caedus has lasted so long as the top tier Sith piece?

My point being. Just find the formula for fun Melee and try sticking to it. We have a sculpt for every type that is a great design. It might be nice to have a working list of gatekeeper designs accepted by the community.

Not to copy, but to have a certain idea in mind if you want to design by function. If Sith needs speed here is an example of a great speed piece. If Republic needs more "Bowser" here is an example of a 40ish point Bowser.

TheHutts
Posted: Wednesday, August 2, 2017 4:26:31 PM

jen'ari wrote:

Out of these the ones that might be competitive right now imo are:

I'd consider all of these set 10-13 melee pieces for a tournament squad (ignoring cheap tech pieces like See-Threepio, Killik Drone, XT-6, or pieces that don't really attack like Amanoa). I'm just including the ones I've previously played - there are a few others that look good, that I haven't seen in action:
Skyborn Ranger on Uvak
Amanaman
Covenant Defender
Lando Calrissian, Infiltrator
Ben Skywalker, Jedi
Kylo Ren
Zayne Carrick, Jedi Loner
Vima Sunrider
Warb Null
Ahsoka Tano, Champion of the Rebellion
Darth Vader of Lothal
Darth Cognus