RegisterDonateLogin

The Kyle Katarn of intergalactic dairy products.

Welcome Guest Active Topics | Members

Creating A Possitive Forum Environment Options
atmsalad
Posted: Thursday, August 24, 2017 1:19:21 PM
Groups: Member

Darth_Jim wrote:
My banter on here was an attempt to diffuse some escalating tension, not to hijack the thread. Sorry if that happened.

Since my name has come up to be a member of this council, I don't think it would be appropriate for me to comment on the need or makeup of it.

Oh oh oh, what Jim said!!!
surf_rider56
Posted: Thursday, August 24, 2017 1:24:44 PM

FlyingArrow wrote:
What about this for a leadership committee?

fingersandteeth
engineer
Boris
billiv
Echo
Weeks
leshippy
urbanjedi
TheCelestialWarrior
thereisnotry
Sithborg
Lou
TimmerB
sthlrd2
UrbanShmi
FlyingArrow
DarkDracul
kezzamachine
LilyWan
AceAce
TheHutts
DarthJim
swinefeld
spryguy1981
atmsalad
theultrastar
jew3

Well, not looking to get into a fight, but at a glance at this thread (and ice cream aside) isn't that like 95% of who does what around here anyway? Seems like thats all the chiefs and hardly any indians ...
Deaths_Baine
Posted: Thursday, August 24, 2017 1:27:34 PM

surf_rider56 wrote:
FlyingArrow wrote:

fingersandteeth
engineer
Boris
billiv
Echo
Weeks
leshippy
urbanjedi
TheCelestialWarrior
thereisnotry
Sithborg
Lou
TimmerB
sthlrd2
UrbanShmi
FlyingArrow
DarkDracul
kezzamachine
LilyWan
AceAce
TheHutts
DarthJim
swinefeld
spryguy1981
atmsalad
theultrastar
jew3

Well, not looking to get into a fight, but at a glance at this thread (and ice cream aside) isn't that like 95% of who does what around here anyway? Seems like thats all the chiefs and hardly any indians ...

yeah.... those people exist and do things in some form or fashion but with no direction or anything. proof is in set 6 and 7 where one set made the vehicles the next set said screw your vehicles.

and screwed them hard lol... ironically I agree they needed to be screwed, but you get the picture I hope.
gholli69
Posted: Thursday, August 24, 2017 1:27:42 PM

FlyingArrow wrote:
gholli69 wrote:
Gizmo, while not quite grape flavored, I did recently see a Merlot flavored ice cream. Atm and Jenari can't you guys just stop, you know us kids hate it when mom and dad fight! BTW I'm malakili the rancor trainer because who wouldn't want a pet rancor.

I made customs at GenCon for the first time ever. 4 of them. Or maybe 3 and a half. The Malakili didn't turn out so well. Still needs quite a bit of work.

Awesome, keep at it and you will improve probably more quickly than you think. I know the first couple that I did were kind of rough but don't get discouraged. The quality of miniatures you use for your customs can make a huge difference as well. I know some of the heroclix sculpts in particular arent very detailed and dont usually end up looking great, but they are still good enough for most stuff and also tend to be more made affordable for cutting up for customs than some of the better quality D&D or others.
Deaths_Baine
Posted: Thursday, August 24, 2017 1:30:26 PM

Darth_Jim wrote:
My banter on here was an attempt to diffuse some escalating tension, not to hijack the thread. Sorry if that happened.

Since my name has come up to be a member of this council, I don't think it would be appropriate for me to comment on the need or makeup of it.

I think it would be very appropriate actually.

If you were to come out and say I do not think a committee is needed for:

X
X
X

then I would most likely listen as I respect your input, but so far I haven't seen, nor been given any reason as to why the leadership committee shouldn't exist... other then snide remarks and jokes.
Deaths_Baine
Posted: Thursday, August 24, 2017 1:31:40 PM

oh... I was given a private reason that it would hurt some people's feelings.... which is not really a reason but hey... I like to be honest so there's that reason I guess, if you consider it one.
TheHutts
Posted: Thursday, August 24, 2017 1:38:00 PM

FlyingArrow wrote:

fingersandteeth
engineer
Boris
billiv
Echo
Weeks
leshippy
urbanjedi
TheCelestialWarrior
thereisnotry
Sithborg
Lou
TimmerB
sthlrd2
UrbanShmi
FlyingArrow
DarkDracul
kezzamachine
LilyWan
AceAce
TheHutts
DarthJim
swinefeld
spryguy1981
atmsalad
theultrastar
jew3

I like that lots of different people contribute to design and testing (although more people helping with the latter is always good), and we get a variety of pieces.

IMO the lack of a centralised system is only an issue with a piece like Unkar Plutt, where a single piece does have a big impact on a specific play-style. I do totally agree with Deathsbaine's example that introducing powerful swarms and powerful vehicles, then neutering strafe in the next set was an example of poor synchronisation. But cases like that are pretty rare.
Echo24
Posted: Thursday, August 24, 2017 1:45:33 PM

I wonder about the reaction if the "leadership committee" signs off on something that some people dislike. What if it existed and signed off on Yaddle? Would we need a leadership leadership committee? Who watches those who watch the watchmen?
juice man
Posted: Thursday, August 24, 2017 2:00:15 PM

CorellianComedian wrote:
Okay, I'm not being sarcastic, but I'm curious how likely you think it is that the leadership committee would work out the way you're envisioning? There is already the design team and the Balance Committee, and you have voiced problems with the current situation. Are you sure another leadership group will alleviate your concerns instead of compounding them? I assume the idea is that the leadership committee is directly created by the community, as opposed to how the design team is created?

I haven't kept close tabs, but it seems like in the past, when someone brings up a problem, it only resulted in action when quite a bit of the community was on board with it. I guess from my perspective, the design team and balance committee are already doing a good enough job, and in my experience they've listened to the community and adapted accordingly.

TL;DR: Why would a leadership committee do a better/worse job at dictating the future of the game than the Design Team? In my opinion, the design team already does a good job of listening to the community - have you found otherwise, and thus advocate for a community-voted committee?
+1
jen'ari
Posted: Thursday, August 24, 2017 2:01:21 PM

Thank you for the question

CorellianComedian wrote:
Okay, I'm not being sarcastic, but I'm curious how likely you think it is that the leadership committee would work out the way you're envisioning?

I think the chances are very very good because the people on the committee would be very very good. I can see 8 people that would do a fantastic job on the committee. I have publicly declared my personal top 5.

CorellianComedian wrote:

There is already the design team and the Balance Committee, and you have voiced problems with the current situation. Are you sure another leadership group will alleviate your concerns instead of compounding them?

Yes I am sure because they will be checking and balancing each other.
CorellianComedian wrote:

I assume the idea is that the leadership committee is directly created by the community, as opposed to how the design team is created?

That is the way I envision it. I would say that some of the leaders can point us to some of the people that they have worked with and know are very good at certain things over other things and things like that. But I think we all know each other well enough to leave it up to the community.
CorellianComedian wrote:

I haven't kept close tabs, but it seems like in the past, when someone brings up a problem, it only resulted in action when quite a bit of the community was on board with it. I guess from my perspective, the design team and balance committee are already doing a good enough job, and in my experience they've listened to the community and adapted accordingly.

the balance committee is doing a really good job. The design team is still making a ton of allowances.
They have gotten better.
CorellianComedian wrote:

TL;DR: Why would a leadership committee do a better/worse job at dictating the future of the game than the Design Team? In my opinion, the design team already does a good job of listening to the community - have you found otherwise, and thus advocate for a community-voted committee?

1) A leadership committee would do a better job because they will outline direction. They will provide philosophy and collectively will get a feel for what the community wants. Having people on the committee from different play groups, play styles, and backgrounds will tremendously the help the community as a whole. For instance, one group might really like vehicles and another group does not. So the representative that knows that some people like vehicles can buffer the counters/errata or at least bring it up and the leadership community can then take the issue back to the community.
The thing is that with leadership that we all agree on, if they do make a mistake or a wrong choice, it was my leaders who made that mistake. I am responsible. Will they make mistakes, I 100% expect them to. I also expect them to be public about them, and discuss the solution with us.

The design team listens in some ways. BUT the design team also does what they want in a lot of ways too.

Which is simply not good.

Also, the balance committee is limited in what they can do. They have boundaries. We are always redefining our balance committee. Eventually, the balance committee will just become very similar to the leadership committee, they will serve the same function. They are already having to expand their reach. Once a design comes out it is out. and changing it is very very difficult. That is why we need preventive measures in the design process.

The leadership committee does not only have to deal with pt, balance, and design. They can help with events, fund raising, community fun, etc.

ADDITION:
The leadership committee can stop one person from getting things done their way. It takes away the individual in almost every regard. We become a community with leaders instead of a community of individuals is the largest point. We will find safety behind the leaders.
jen'ari
Posted: Thursday, August 24, 2017 2:06:08 PM

Echo24 wrote:
I wonder about the reaction if the "leadership committee" signs off on something that some people dislike. What if it existed and signed off on Yaddle? Would we need a leadership leadership committee? Who watches those who watch the watchmen?

Yes that would suck. However, if you have chosen the "best" people to be on the leadership committee and balance committee and they still design a Yaddle than you have a community wide pandemic of terrible designers and Star Wars representatives at that point.

jen'ari
Posted: Thursday, August 24, 2017 2:09:46 PM

My write up a few days ago about my first thoughts on the leadership committee

This is what I propose. Or at least the first outline.

5 people. My personal choices would be:

Deri, atmsalad, Deaths_Baine, TheHutts, and DarthJim.

one person on leadership committee should be on the design team at all times and is able to take issues to the leadership council.

one member should be on the balance committee

One member on the PT committee.

One member should be head of a events coordination / public relations committee. i think Caedus and Timmerb would be great at this.
They do things that try and get the community involved. Ensures events are happening. Gets interest in events.
Things like squad building challenges and the old rolling mini of the day, CCC, bothan trasmission, etc. all those things that try to get community to have stuff to do.
They also get community input and figure out what kind of interest there is for events and prize support and things. and help find people to host events, especially online events. Would love to play the NZ guys again.
i would love things like Community designed piece every year. (I know it was a fiasco last time, but with a committee member at its head, that person can take ideas and form a design).

I do think that the SWM should come up with a budget. Do some kind of fundraising or something so we can budget prize support, maybe even pay someone to make new maps, advertising, etc.

The one guy left is left open and the committee rotate who is open so they do not get burned out. Maybe every year/2 sets

That member is there to lend support to others in their special operations and to help in all the discussions the leadership committee has and the hard decisions that have to be made.

Things I think the leadership committee as a whole should do:

Give designers a few pieces that need to be designed with a general blue print (Sith Vader, it needs to have throw 1 with twin or throw 2 and cost around high 30s to low 40s and needs to push it competitively in sith).

Give suggestions on what soft counters the game needs to be designed or what might help a faction be competitive.

Discuss and define design philosophy (research, ease of use, limit new abilities, keep faction uniqueness, accuracy/integrity of design, faction competitiveness, etc).

Help pt committee try to break designs.

Transparency in what they have been asked to do and the processes by which they are doing things (Balance committee already does this)

I think that the leadership committee should be in charge of who are designers. I think designers are already picked until a certain point (I don't know which set). Those picked should stay picked but at the end of the last set. The leadership committee decides who is picked. I think they should pick 5 designers that rotate 1 person per set so the same people are designing together for a while.
I think the overall goal should be to design 3 times and than possibly rotate out.
1, 2, 3 *all have a leadership committee member as well*
2, 3, 4
3, 4, 5,
4, 5, 1
5, 1, 2
1, 2, 3 (might be new people or keep the same)

I think that if there are going to be new designers they get plugged into sets as "apprentice designers" and have limited responsibilities. This gives the leadership committee time to process their ability and the designers time to see the system, etc.

Design is our most important job in this game. It needs to be kept safe and protected. 36 pieces per set. 4 members + possible apprentice. I think apprentice can get 4, Leadership committee member can get 4, and that leaves 7 per design team member. Maybe the design team gives each designer an "assignment piece" and that leaves 6 open slots per designer. That would be my personal break down.

Balance team should do their thing. PT Committee should do their thing. Design team other than above should do their thing. Public Relations Committee should do their thing.

This is how I see the future of SWM. Controlled, organized, thought out, involved, intentional, transparent, and unified.

Balance team has done amazing, PT committee has done amazing.

I think you use the people who have been doing this for a long time and give them direction as part of a bigger whole
Darth_Jim
Posted: Thursday, August 24, 2017 2:17:42 PM

Deaths_Baine wrote:
Darth_Jim wrote:

I think it would be very appropriate actually.

If you were to come out and say I do not think a committee is needed for:

X
X
X

then I would most likely listen as I respect your input, but so far I haven't seen, nor been given any reason as to why the leadership committee shouldn't exist... other then snide remarks and jokes.

Thank you for your continued kind words. Whenever the community considers me for stuff like this, I am honored, and a bit humbled. I remember back in 2009 when I walked into GenCon I didn't know anyone. You people have always been welcoming, even though my political and sometimes religious views are very different from most of you.

As far as a council goes, I would be in favor of it if it is determined that it is needed. I've gotten different feedback on that. There are people I respect on different sides of this. (Maybe not opposite, but different as in facets.) I am not in favor of making the decision process for whatever we do more cumbersome. I support a clean and simple hierarchy.

Do we have that now? I don't know. Elements of that control I think are being handled appropriately now. Could it be handled better? Maybe. Right now the biggest divides in the community are over designs. It's not just playability, it's more subjective points like flavor, cannon, and interpretation of representations in books, movies, cartoons, comic books, and cereal boxes. (Hope I didn't leave anything out.) Will a council eliminate that? Should it? For instance, I don't watch the cartoons, so I pay attention to discussions in order to not look stupid and ask my opponent if that is Sabine or Ezra over there. Discussion and even dissension is important on the boards.

So...if the community looks inward and thinks that there are areas not being addressed, and if a clear mandate can be established, then I am all for it. I do not think if there is a council that I should be on both the council and the balance committee, however.

Darth_Jim
Posted: Thursday, August 24, 2017 2:25:42 PM

jen'ari wrote:
I do think that the SWM should come up with a budget. Do some kind of fundraising or something so we can budget prize support, maybe even pay someone to make new maps, advertising, etc.

Only if this is to assist those already handling money in various ways. I trust the people currently tasked with this implicitly, and it is better now than it ever was. This is one of those areas that maybe had issues in the past, but now it is fine. Leave it alone, unless you want someone to do OTHER fundraising or ADDITIONAL prize support.
Deaths_Baine
Posted: Thursday, August 24, 2017 2:29:12 PM

I will post more in a little place holder while I eat dinner with the family.
jen'ari
Posted: Thursday, August 24, 2017 2:41:18 PM

Darth_Jim wrote:
jen'ari wrote:

Only if this is to assist those already handling money in various ways. I trust the people currently tasked with this implicitly, and it is better now than it ever was. This is one of those areas that maybe had issues in the past, but now it is fine. Leave it alone, unless you want someone to do OTHER fundraising or ADDITIONAL prize support.

Darth_Jim.

I firmly believe in our community. I would let those that are already doing the job do them. Like I said, we have amazing people. The difference is that with a leadership committee member going to those already handling budget they can meet, discuss, get community interest, etc. and than do other things together. For instance, I do not know who does what with our budget. A leadership committee would put all that stuff out in the open and get public support and broaden the usage of those people already doing a good job.

The balance committee would still do its job. I think a member of the leadership committee should sit with the balance committee and if the need arise and their is a split, that member goes with the problem to the leadership committee.

The design team is a different issue imo. but i outlined it above. (at least my view).

It is not just that people are not already doing things. They are.

It is that they are not connected and their is a larger disconnect with the community as a whole.

AND most important it will break secret agendas and power grab and stop unfortunate things coming into our game that hurt the game and than it takes 3 sets to find the right balance.

Echo24
Posted: Thursday, August 24, 2017 2:50:52 PM

I've been saying most of this stuff to the rest of the vset team for years now. There are too many chiefs and absolutely zero cohesion between sets. I don't necessarily think a committee is the best way to do it though; but lots of design processes could/should be improved/added.
jen'ari
Posted: Thursday, August 24, 2017 2:52:31 PM

Echo24 wrote:
I've been saying most of this stuff to the rest of the vset team for years now. There are too many chiefs and absolutely zero cohesion between sets. I don't necessarily think a committee is the best way to do it though; but lots of design processes could/should be improved/added.

please see new thread
jen'ari
Posted: Thursday, August 24, 2017 2:57:23 PM

^ nvm i think it better just to stay here probably.

What makes you hesitant to agree with a leadership committee?

Echo24
Posted: Thursday, August 24, 2017 3:08:24 PM

People who aren't doing the design work probably shouldn't dictate what can and can't be designed; I suspect that would stifle creativity and just make designs worse in general. The design team itself should adopt practices that accomplish your goals (although theoretically it's mostly stuff that should be caught in playtesting). Maybe there should be a mandated design review process that occurs a couple times during a set's lifecycle by the designers on the sets both before and after the one being worked on. That's just off the top of my head.

As for the non-design stuff you've mentioned (budgeting, PR, etc) that could maybe use a committee if it's more well defined. I know I've pushed for a "PR lead" more than once in the past. The role was even taken up before, but the guy who accepted it then didn't do anything with it. *shrug*