RegisterDonateLogin

That's game.

Welcome Guest Active Topics | Members

Creating A Possitive Forum Environment Options
jen'ari
Posted: Thursday, August 24, 2017 3:18:23 PM
Groups: Member

Echo24 wrote:
People who aren't doing the design work probably shouldn't dictate what can and can't be designed; I suspect that would stifle creativity and just make designs worse in general. The design team itself should adopt practices that accomplish your goals (although theoretically it's mostly stuff that should be caught in playtesting). Maybe there should be a mandated design review process that occurs a couple times during a set's lifecycle by the designers on the sets both before and after the one being worked on. That's just off the top of my head.

As for the non-design stuff you've mentioned (budgeting, PR, etc) that could maybe use a committee if it's more well defined. I know I've pushed for a "PR lead" more than once in the past. The role was even taken up before, but the guy who accepted it then didn't do anything with it. *shrug*

look the leadership committee does everything you are saying. This is what a discussion would look like./
I put out a first draft of my personal beliefs on the issue.

My thoughts on design have been this

I think that the leadership committee should be in charge of who are designers. I think designers are already picked until a certain point (I don't know which set). Those picked should stay picked but at the end of the last set. The leadership committee decides who is picked. I think they should pick 5 designers that rotate 1 person per set so the same people are designing together for a while.
I think the overall goal should be to design 3 times and than possibly rotate out.
1, 2, 3 *all have a leadership committee member as well*
2, 3, 4
3, 4, 5,
4, 5, 1
5, 1, 2
1, 2, 3 (might be new people or keep the same)

I think that if there are going to be new designers they get plugged into sets as "apprentice designers" and have limited responsibilities. This gives the leadership committee time to process their ability and the designers time to see the system, etc.

Design is our most important job in this game. It needs to be kept safe and protected. 36 pieces per set. 4 members + possible apprentice. I think apprentice can get 4, Leadership committee member can get 4, and that leaves 7 per design team member. Maybe the design team gives each designer an "assignment piece" and that leaves 6 open slots per designer. That would be my personal break down.

Balance team should do their thing. PT Committee should do their thing. Design team other than above should do their thing. Public Relations Committee should do their thing.
-end of quote

So in my view (just my thoughts) each designer gets free reign (of course with checks and balances, hopefully the designers are on board with the philosophy and rules the leadership committee has put in place, like no power 11 pieces, most be accurate, no hard counters, etc) on 7 pieces a set. one piece is an assignment piece (as in we want a Carth Onasi in fringe that costs around 26-34 that can has Grenades 30 and we want it to be competitive).
So they would still have the majority of the say over their assignment pieces as well.

Also, the rotation system will automatically help with cohesion between sets.

But the point is that a committee is always there to put problems to rest.

In essence, the things that you want to be put in place for the designers will be put in place by the leadership committee and most importantly there is authority to back it up
DarthMaim
Posted: Thursday, August 24, 2017 3:25:39 PM

I am Qui-Gon Jinn. I am wise in the Force, a zenful, quiet leadership mentally that leads to bonding and kinship, plus the silent Jedi Master that may go against the council to get things done, finding solutions amongst chaos. I was ever present for many years in the early days of SWM, and presently posting old sage scholar value, with the Jedi spirit I possess, and spread with teachings to the new and young apprentices and Jedi's, currently in the game, and those younglings, desiring to start in the game, or older Jedi's, wishing to come back to the game ThumbsUp
Echo24
Posted: Thursday, August 24, 2017 3:26:17 PM

I just don't really see how a committee is needed for most of that. If rotating designers like that is a good idea, then let's just do it.

I get what you're saying. There should be some people "in charge". I agree. But I think that should be the design team. Maybe the problem is the design team is way too big at this point. I don't think we need 4 different designers for every single set including one brand new one, but we've been doing that for years. If it's too much work to have people work on overlapping sets, we shouldn't just throw that concept out, we should make less work (less stats per set). Get a lean design team of like 6-8 people who work together on every set (maybe shifting leads but have everybody involved as much as possible). Then those guys are basically de facto in charge.

I don't really care one way or another; I don't have any interest in being on any leadership committee or any design teams past 15 anyway. But I just don't think adding another committee is the answer here.
jen'ari
Posted: Thursday, August 24, 2017 3:37:25 PM

Echo24 wrote:
I just don't really see how a committee is needed for most of that. If rotating designers like that is a good idea, then let's just do it.

I get what you're saying. There should be some people "in charge". I agree. But I think that should be the design team. Maybe the problem is the design team is way too big at this point. I don't think we need 4 different designers for every single set including one brand new one, but we've been doing that for years. If it's too much work to have people work on overlapping sets, we shouldn't just throw that concept out, we should make less work (less stats per set). Get a lean design team of like 6-8 people who work together on every set (maybe shifting leads but have everybody involved as much as possible). Then those guys are basically de facto in charge.

I don't really care one way or another; I don't have any interest in being on any leadership committee or any design teams past 15 anyway. But I just don't think adding another committee is the answer here.

Thats how things are right now. We still get terrible things coming down the pipe. We also have people pushing agendas and getting somewhere with them. Once again I ask you to ask atmsalad if he feels successful in pushing his agenda.
There are always others before him. It is a constant cycle. One that I have, personally, been fighting for years. It is very hard to continue to do so.

If someone is in charge of something and they are the highest power that is where the problems come to fruition. If your designers are the power and they are the designers than there is no force stopping them. Don't you see?
That is why the leadership council is part of design in a small way and separated from design at the same time. There to supervise and help and step in when needed to maintain what is right.

If someone needs to be in power than we should make that happen.
TheHutts
Posted: Thursday, August 24, 2017 3:43:27 PM

jen'ari wrote:
If someone is in charge of something and they are the highest power that is where the problems come to fruition. If your designers are the power and they are the designers than there is no force stopping them. Don't you see?
That is why the leadership council is part of design in a small way and separated from design at the same time. There to supervise and help and step in when needed to maintain what is right.

It is pretty easy to get on PT Committee at this point - last time I heard, you could pretty much do a couple of play-tests and get on. At that point you have access to all the upcoming designs and can have your say on them (which is a lot easier now there are 36 pieces per set rather than 72).
jen'ari
Posted: Thursday, August 24, 2017 3:45:48 PM

TheHutts wrote:
jen'ari wrote:

It is pretty easy to get on PT Committee at this point - last time I heard, you could pretty much do a couple of play-tests and get on. At that point you have access to all the upcoming designs and can have your say on them (which is a lot easier now there are 36 pieces per set rather than 72).

We have been through this before. PT does not stop agendas, and PT does not catch all issues. PT is not an answer to problems it has to come from the top not from under. This has literally been proven for years. We have years of designs that have missed the mark on many many different levels.
Deaths_Baine
Posted: Thursday, August 24, 2017 3:49:35 PM

Ohhh how i wish I could find some old posts right now lol.
TheHutts
Posted: Thursday, August 24, 2017 3:50:00 PM

Unkar Plutt was there to be play-tested. He was one piece I ignored in testing, as I felt like he was mainly a conceptual piece, and testing wasn't going to tell anyone more about him. And as a tester, personally I don't really mind much about theme - my main concern is trying to make sure costings are correct and nothing's broken - but it would probably help the team to have members who are more concerned with theme.

I wasn't around in the PT Committee for set 6, where I understand there was a schism, but I don't feel like there's a schism now - if you put the work in, you're generally listened to.
atmsalad
Posted: Thursday, August 24, 2017 4:01:40 PM

jen'ari wrote:
Thats how things are right now. We still get terrible things coming down the pipe. We also have people pushing agendas and getting somewhere with them. Once again I ask you to ask atmsalad if he feels successful in pushing his agenda.
There are always others before him.

https://m.imgur.com/r/HighQualityGifs/cJlBUVL
jen'ari
Posted: Thursday, August 24, 2017 4:11:51 PM

atmsalad wrote:
jen'ari wrote:
There are always others before him.

https://m.imgur.com/r/HighQualityGifs/cJlBUVL

people keep revealing themselves from using sarcasm without any real response.

Atm same question.

Why do you not want a leadership committee?

This will be the last time I ask you the question, a refusal to answer it will show cowardice and I will assume that my assumptions I wrote earlier are in fact true. I will than carry on with that perspective and I will, at that point, personally, deem you unworthy to be a leader in this community and I will lose respect for you.
jak
Posted: Thursday, August 24, 2017 4:20:42 PM

no way I'm gonna read all the silly posts before this, but if anyone thinks Bloo is negative now, has clearly not been around for long.
the hate on this site was thick.
I'm surprised that people are still so passionate about this game,
it was great once, but not any moreCrying
the designed pieces have alot to do with this.
making pieces to correct design errors is a bad move IMO
this game will last only as long as the vset funding lasts.

8 pages of this stuff in less than a day is too much.
I don't have a job, and even I have better things to do.

maybe Legion will kill this game for good, and we can get back to real life

jen'ari
Posted: Thursday, August 24, 2017 4:37:18 PM

jak wrote:
no way I'm gonna read all the silly posts before this, but if anyone thinks Bloo is negative now, has clearly not been around for long.
the hate on this site was thick.
I'm surprised that people are still so passionate about this game,
it was great once, but not any moreCrying
the designed pieces have alot to do with this.
making pieces to correct design errors is a bad move IMO
this game will last only as long as the vset funding lasts.

8 pages of this stuff in less than a day is too much.
I don't have a job, and even I have better things to do.

maybe Legion will kill this game for good, and we can get back to real life

I do wish you would try to be more involved. I think your experience could prove useful to the community
atmsalad
Posted: Thursday, August 24, 2017 5:08:54 PM

Could be good, could just make a complicated process even more conveluted. Ultimately it would be up to past designers on what the best choice is moving forward. I am not one so I don't believe I can speak fully to how that would help or hurt things. With the exception of a few pieces I would say they have been doing a bang up job. No matter what we do, I think there will always be pieces requiring erratas though.

In short, if the teams on board I would be good with something like that, but I doubt as much control is needed as is being emphasized.
Deaths_Baine
Posted: Thursday, August 24, 2017 5:28:02 PM

I don't even know how to respond anymore... I have literally lost faith in people just standing up for what they TRULY believe in. If I were a douchebag I could just absolutely wreck this entire fake ass oh I really care about what the past designers did and if they think it is necessary blah blah blah bull with some private conversations... yet again... I may have to lose a discussion for the sake of honoring private conversations with people... it is literally sickening though to know how some of you people really feel and watch you lie to protect...something you are disgusted with.

Doesn't matter though in the end. I have some set 15 play reports to write this weekend. I hope you all have enjoyed the thread so far.
jen'ari
Posted: Thursday, August 24, 2017 5:55:55 PM

atmsalad wrote:
Could be good, could just make a complicated process even more conveluted. Ultimately it would be up to past designers on what the best choice is moving forward. I am not one so I don't believe I can speak fully to how that would help or hurt things. With the exception of a few pieces I would say they have been doing a bang up job. No matter what we do, I think there will always be pieces requiring erratas though.

In short, if the teams on board I would be good with something like that, but I doubt as much control is needed as is being emphasized.

@bold
what?
why the heck would it be up to the previous designers?
Why is everyone seemingly under the impression that designers are the leaders?
I never thought of designers as the leaders.

@red
The team?
if the team is on board with this

we hear these things. the vset team. the design team. the team.

What team?
Who is on it?
Who decides if they need to "assemble"
Who makes the roll call for Congress?

So let me get this straight.

Right now designers are our biggest leaders and have the most power. Correct?

Designers are selected by people who have authority based off of past experiences in designing and other leadership roles. correct?

Those people only bring in the people they deem worthy to. correct?

The designers only check and balances are the pt committee. correct?

the balance committee serves an after the damage is done type role.

The designers have made some TERRIBLE designs that set the game back years. Correct?

The designers recently destroyed a play style without community support. correct?

Designers and pt committee have put out Mace Windu, Zannah, vehicles, Bastila, Poggle, NomBombs, charging Vong, avoid defeat to Vong, double swap, daala, naboo, slavers, Pellaeon, See-Threepio, Vader of Lothal, Katarn/Jan. than we have the complete inaccurate/no sense designs:
Yaddle, Qui-Gonn, Watto, Mando Kenobi that can be Sith, Baze, Lor San Tekka, Han Solo Corellian Legend. Correct?

So the designers need help. Design is the key to this game. and if it is not protected than we are setting ourselves up for no progress or very little progress in keeping the game fresh and exciting.

So....
the picture again. I, as a passionate player of this game have no representative. No leader. I am at the will of the powers at be. Powers that no one knows. They are a mystery and do not know themselves. I have to wait for them to decide everything. i can be a pt'er and have a small say in the design process. But to be on a committee I have to be chosen. The powers at be "nameless" will decide if I am chosen or not. I better be on my best behavior to do so. Most likely I will have to pick someone to kind of give allegiance to that will push me into a leadership role.

People have their agendas and they know how to get them to come to pass. When an agenda is something that I do not like I have to be fine with it. because there is not much I can do. I can take it to the balance committee, but their role is limited and if it falls under something the balance committee does not deal with, too bad.

The community at large does not really have a say in if we should change how things are done, that has to come from the elites already in place?

So secret agendas are easy to push, designers are free to do what they want (and have done some terrible things), community cannot change it, and we cannot become part of the elites unless we are chosen which is done by getting a leaders attention and that leader pushing for you?
You call this a successful set up?
swinefeld
Posted: Thursday, August 24, 2017 6:07:11 PM
Groups: Member , Moderator

I just want to mention... I've had my finger on the delete button all day, but I decided to let it go so people could have their say, positive or not.

At least a 1/2 dozen posts here should have been private Bloomails, or better yet, Skype conversations so you can see each others' faces, chat a bit and then get interrupted by your kids arguing, cat puking a hairball on your nicest piece of furniture, pizza burning in the oven while you argue...

Take your personal beefs with specific people to a private messaging app of your choice, and work it out there.

I became a mod here after the whole Dean/Bill et al vs. Mandalore the Beast et al debacle, so I know full well how bad things can and have been here in the past. This isn't anywhere close to that bad, but it's still immensely tiresome.

Talk about ideas, not people, unless you have something constructive to say (words like "cowardice" and "unworthy" are not). For example..."I think your designs are overly-complicated" (or whatever) is less confrontational.

As far as changes to the direction of the game and its organizational structures go, I keep an open mind. I'm here because I want to be, but I have plenty of other things to be doing at all times. At this point, I may as well go clean up the cat puke on my pillow. Wait, no, it was on my recliner. blast it, that's way harder to clean. Angry

Deaths_Baine
Posted: Thursday, August 24, 2017 6:21:44 PM

14 people in a thread!!!!! man this has as many people reading it as my old mace windu posts... maybe if we can generate this kind of buzz everyday the game will grow.
atmsalad
Posted: Thursday, August 24, 2017 6:34:35 PM

swinefeld wrote:
I just want to mention... I've had my finger on the delete button all day, but I decided to let it go so people could have their say, positive or not.

At least a 1/2 dozen posts here should have been private Bloomails, or better yet, Skype conversations so you can see each others' faces, chat a bit and then get interrupted by your kids arguing, cat puking a hairball on your nicest piece of furniture, pizza burning in the oven while you argue...

Take your personal beefs with specific people to a private messaging app of your choice, and work it out there.

I became a mod here after the whole Dean/Bill et al vs. Mandalore the Beast et al debacle, so I know full well how bad things can and have been here in the past. This isn't anywhere close to that bad, but it's still immensely tiresome.

Talk about ideas, not people, unless you have something constructive to say (words like "cowardice" and "unworthy" are not). For example..."I think your designs are overly-complicated" (or whatever) is less confrontational.

As far as changes to the direction of the game and its organizational structures go, I keep an open mind. I'm here because I want to be, but I have plenty of other things to be doing at all times. At this point, I may as well go clean up the cat puke on my pillow. Wait, no, it was on my recliner. blast it, that's way harder to clean. Angry

Your right swinefeld​, my apologies, next time I will talk too people directly
atmsalad
Posted: Thursday, August 24, 2017 6:47:05 PM

On the subject of leadership, I think it could be a really good thing. One requirement I would add is only people that think the game can grow from where we are right now should be in one of those positions. I may be in the minority, but I see no reason we can't get more people playing this game.

Secondly, design does need an actual direction. I know no one is getting paid and we are all volunteers, but if as a v-set team we don't have a real target to shoot for we can't control what targets we hit.

Third, play testers play testers play testers! Even if we don't get a group legitimately holding the reigns we need more play testers. The more eyes that see pieces before they are released the better!!

Forth, we need a Possitive Forum Environment, no one wants to join a crappy community and no one wants to bring people to a crappy forum. I for one will try my utmost to add to that positive environment.

That's my two cents, hopefully it's worth at least that...
FlyingArrow
Posted: Friday, August 25, 2017 6:48:28 AM
Groups: Member , Moderator

Deaths_Baine wrote:
oh... I was given a private reason that it would hurt some people's feelings.... which is not really a reason but hey... I like to be honest so there's that reason I guess, if you consider it one.

The "leadership committee" already exists. It's all past designers plus a few people who have contributed a lot to the game. It might be larger than you would like, it might not be structured the way you would like, it might not have the exact people you would like, and it might be doing as good a job as you would like, but it already exists.

The designers on a particular set largely have free reign because the rest of the leadership committee doesn't step in. But they could. If something was happening that was egregious enough and people were paying enough attention, the whole leadership committee could discuss it. There's card design, rules check, QC, fundraising, and distribution of the printed cards. All of that requires people outside the design team, so if everyone was united against something the design team was doing, it could be stopped.