Nom Anor says, "It's da bomb!"

Welcome Guest Active Topics | Members

Fall Vassal Tournament Discussion Options
CorellianComedian
Posted: Monday, October 2, 2017 5:24:54 PM
Groups: Member

jen'ari wrote:
TimmerB123 wrote:

Naarkon will post official matchups later.

I am just making educated guesses (and I was slightly wrong on where full SoS lands in the order of tiebreakers)

I will try and figure it out. Because it entertains me

this is you realizing how much overreach you just did. thanks for reading my other post.

HAHAHAHA so predictable.

pander to Naarkon now hahahaahaha brown nose. where is the little "innocent strike" oh there it is, directed at yourself this time. great tactic. humanize your overreach there Lord Tim.

it begins.

You clearly didn't care much about the tournament if you rage-quit over a minor detail that in no way affects your chances of winning.

Please get off this thread so competitors (and casual observers like me) can get back to enjoying the tournament.
jen'ari
Posted: Monday, October 2, 2017 5:40:39 PM

CorellianComedian wrote:

You clearly didn't care much about the tournament if you rage-quit over a minor detail that in no way affects your chances of winning.

Please get off this thread so competitors (and casual observers like me) can get back to enjoying the tournament.

not a fair assessment at all. If time was an indicator of who cared the most than I would prove to be the one who cares the absolute most. As in I have watched 6 entire games outside of my own. I have played Richard with my Malgus squad multiple times outside of my games just to try and figure it out and at least give people good games. And I have been on the boards more than anyone else.

It is not a rage-quit. it is a disappointed quit.

I still care about the tournament and will read the play reports, etc. but just can't be a part of it for at least four reasons.

1) mid-way rule changes are unacceptable. (yes it is a rules change because it was never set that you can lock a door).

2) pandering spryguy is not helping spryguy

3) it is not the way competition is ran (as stated multiple times)

4) it is not the way a community works (telling people they are not welcome)

well not my chances of winning, since they were next to zero (cant play malgus and 2 losses). But it could be for someone else. You know what its called when you give someone something to "level the playing field"? an accommodation. They need that accommodation to make things as equal as possible. What people are essentially saying is that spryguy needs accommodations to level the playing field. Which he absolutely does not (top 4 in gencon). even if he did, that accommodation would have to be ok with everyone from the start, not a mid-tournie change to benefit the select

EDIT: do you know what it is called when you give an accommodation to someone who does not need it? cheating.
CorellianComedian
Posted: Monday, October 2, 2017 6:32:51 PM

I'm apologize for speaking hastily - it's something I usually try to avoid, especially in online environments, and yet I goofed up twice today already Blushing

jen'ari wrote:
not a fair assessment at all. If time was an indicator of who cared the most than I would prove to be the one who cares the absolute most. As in I have watched 6 entire games outside of my own. I have played Richard with my Malgus squad multiple times outside of my games just to try and figure it out and at least give people good games. And I have been on the boards more than anyone else.

Awesome. That shows dedication when you playtest your squad to make sure this is a valuable use of time for others. If I had signed up, I probably would have brought something stupid like 8 Sith Inquisitors or something, just to get a good laugh, but you practiced your squad to make sure you'd put up a worthwhile fight for everyone else, even if you got stomped into the ground. That's dedication - and respect.

Quote:
I still care about the tournament and will read the play reports, etc.

W00t!

Quote:
but just can't be a part of it for at least four reasons.

1) mid-way rule changes are unacceptable. (yes it is a rules change because it was never set that you can lock a door).

I believe I read earlier in this very thread that the issue hasn't really come up before, right? And when it does come up, it's a first-time TO that has to deal with it. I totally understand your frustration - it's a big pet peeve of mine when someone leaves an important detail out - but I think we should cut him some slack. This isn't the only thing that doesn't translate well to a virtual environment.

Quote:
2) pandering spryguy is not helping spryguy

I agree, but I would suggest that what happened to this thread over the past 24 hours doesn't do him (or any of us) much good either. My post calling you out certainly didn't do either of us any good. Sad

Quote:
3) it is not the way competition is ran (as stated multiple times)

There isn't much point in me responding here; the merits of this statement stand on previous arguments. Even if he made a mistake, it's something that could be easily and kindly resolved, again bearing in mind the fact that it's his first time, and he's trying to coordinate a tournament across several time zones... while people have work and school and such. It's an unfortunate oversight that hasn't been noticed until now, and the Tournament Organizer is here for precisely this type of rules problem. Now (hopefully) we'll never have to deal with this mid-tournament again, whether on Vassal or otherwise.

Quote:
4) it is not the way a community works (telling people they are not welcome)

I agree, communities that claim to want increased membership (such as our hardy SWMinis players ThumpUp ) do not fare well by telling people they are not welcome. However, this is not excluding anyone from the community, but from a single game.

Quote:
You know what its called when you give someone something to "level the playing field"? an accommodation. They need that accommodation to make things as equal as possible. What people are essentially saying is that spryguy needs accommodations to level the playing field. Which he absolutely does not (top 4 in gencon).

See, this is the crux of the debate: does it affect anyone's chances of winning? If it does significantly, you definitely have a point, and we need to be very careful to maintain fairness. However, if it does not significantly impact one's chances of winning, does it really matter at all?

EDIT: I apologize for keeping the thread off-topic. Please carry on, I look forward to reading more play reports. Cool
Darth_Jim
Posted: Monday, October 2, 2017 6:46:11 PM

TimmerB123 wrote:
I also think it's only fair to have it be known that Darth Jim and I played our game in a locked room, and it wasn't an issue for anyone.

You locked the room? This is the first I've heard of it. That was done without my knowledge or consent. I'd like to think you did it thinking I'd see it and object to it if I had a problem. The real problem is that I didn't see it. I was setting up and probably had the map enlarged by that time. I was also waiting to hear from my son. I'd texted him that we were playing but he hadn't responded yet. (Turned out he was napping until the game was long over.) Kinda wish he'd been awake and tried to get in...I could have told you then I don't want to play in a locked room.

Matt's reason for locking the room is sound. Urban Shmi gave another sound reason for locking a room. I have no problem with locked rooms. I DO have a problem with the same people locking rooms going into unlocked rooms in the same tournament and watching them. I know I'm in the minority here...and that's ok. Everyone I've been friends with I still will be. While I am sorry for the firestorm that followed my initial question, I am not sorry for raising it. This was my first Vassal tournament...apparently this is just not my thing. Of course, with all that has transpired, I should and do withdraw.

One bright spot in all of this was meeting Shmi15. I know I lost to him in round 1, making it the 3rd time I'd lost to him in a row, but I think I made a friend. He is a top notch tournament player and was tactically ahead of me at least in the last 2 games we played. More importantly to me anyway, he was a gentleman and a pure pleasure to game with. I hope to do more of that in the future.

Gonna take a break from Bloomilk for a bit. Y'all have fun.
shmi15
Posted: Monday, October 2, 2017 8:26:37 PM

Darth_Jim wrote:
TimmerB123 wrote:
I also think it's only fair to have it be known that Darth Jim and I played our game in a locked room, and it wasn't an issue for anyone.

You locked the room? This is the first I've heard of it. That was done without my knowledge or consent. I'd like to think you did it thinking I'd see it and object to it if I had a problem. The real problem is that I didn't see it. I was setting up and probably had the map enlarged by that time. I was also waiting to hear from my son. I'd texted him that we were playing but he hadn't responded yet. (Turned out he was napping until the game was long over.) Kinda wish he'd been awake and tried to get in...I could have told you then I don't want to play in a locked room.

Matt's reason for locking the room is sound. Urban Shmi gave another sound reason for locking a room. I have no problem with locked rooms. I DO have a problem with the same people locking rooms going into unlocked rooms in the same tournament and watching them. I know I'm in the minority here...and that's ok. Everyone I've been friends with I still will be. While I am sorry for the firestorm that followed my initial question, I am not sorry for raising it. This was my first Vassal tournament...apparently this is just not my thing. Of course, with all that has transpired, I should and do withdraw.

One bright spot in all of this was meeting Shmi15. I know I lost to him in round 1, making it the 3rd time I'd lost to him in a row, but I think I made a friend. He is a top notch tournament player and was tactically ahead of me at least in the last 2 games we played. More importantly to me anyway, he was a gentleman and a pure pleasure to game with. I hope to do more of that in the future.

Sad times :( It has been a pleasure playing you on and off on Vassal! And I hope we can still play every now and then. I can honestly say every game we have played has been a fun, challenging game, and you definitely have a friend over here. We can discuss how my Lions are actually showing up this season! Best luck, and hope to see you on Vassal or Facebook from time to time!
swinefeld
Posted: Monday, October 2, 2017 8:46:14 PM
Groups: Member , Moderator

shmi15 wrote:
Darth_Jim wrote:
TimmerB123 wrote:

Sad times :( It has been a pleasure playing you on and off on Vassal! And I hope we can still play every now and then. I can honestly say every game we have played has been a fun, challenging game, and you definitely have a friend over here. We can discuss how my Lions are actually showing up this season! Best luck, and hope to see you on Vassal or Facebook from time to time!

More posts like these, please. Smile
Deaths_Baine
Posted: Tuesday, October 3, 2017 4:02:11 AM

You dropped a Bomb on me baby
FlyingArrow
Posted: Tuesday, October 3, 2017 4:15:10 AM

When will we have the real pairings?
Naarkon
Posted: Tuesday, October 3, 2017 5:48:44 AM

FlyingArrow wrote:

I will have them up this afternoon. In my earlier post I said was postponing them a day to make sure we had a current list of participants.
FlyingArrow
Posted: Tuesday, October 3, 2017 6:50:50 AM

Naarkon wrote:
FlyingArrow wrote:

I will have them up this afternoon. In my earlier post I said was postponing them a day to make sure we had a current list of participants.

Awesome. Thanks.
shmi15
Posted: Tuesday, October 3, 2017 8:39:42 AM

As far as I know, Death's Baine, Jenari, and Darth Jim are the only ones who withdrew. I don't think anyone else did up to this point.
TimmerB123
Posted: Tuesday, October 3, 2017 8:52:18 AM

Darth_Jim wrote:
Of course, with all that has transpired, I should and do withdraw.

Sad times indeed. I had a nice personal chat with Jim. Although I think it's fair to say that everyone is sorry to see him go, I respect and support his reasons.
UrbanShmi
Posted: Tuesday, October 3, 2017 8:58:51 AM

TimmerB123 wrote:
Darth_Jim wrote:
Of course, with all that has transpired, I should and do withdraw.

Sad times indeed. I had a nice personal chat with Jim. Although I think it's fair to say that everyone is sorry to see him go, I respect and support his reasons.

+1. Hopefully Jim will come back and try another Vassal event in the future. Definitely sorry to see he felt he had to withdraw.
TimmerB123
Posted: Tuesday, October 3, 2017 9:33:48 AM

As I've said every time I've posted tournament rankings: these are as best as I can figure.

They are not official. This is just for fun.

Naarkon is the TO. He will have the official pairings up soon.

Reminder -

Tie breakers after tournament score:

1. Total Wins-The player with the most wins.
2. Head to Head Matchups – The player who has won any head to head matchups would be ahead of the loser in a head to head matchup.
3. SOS 1- The players strength of schedule minus the player's worst win.
4. SOS 2- As 3, factoring only the defeated players.
5. SOS 3-The players full strength of schedule
6. Roll Off-tied players will roll a D20, highest roll placing above the rest.

Column 1 = name, record (tournament score)
Column 2 = SOS 1- The players strength of schedule minus the player's worst win.
Column 3 = SOS 2- As 3, factoring only the defeated players.
Column 4 = SOS 3-The players full strength of schedule

No head to head matchups have been played between tied players at this point

Spry 2-0 (6) 1-1 (4) 2-2 (7) 2-2 (7)
Tint 2-0 (6) 1-1 (4) 1-3 (5) 1-3 (5)
DB 2-0 (6) 1-1 (3) 1-3 (3) 1-3 (3)

Ultra 2-0 (5) 1-1 (3) 2-2 (6) 2-2 (6)
Kezza 2-0 (5) 1-1 (4) 1-1 (4) 1-1 (4)

UJ 1-1 (4) 2-0 (6) 1-1 (4) 3-1 (10)
Frnchy 1-1 (4) 2-0 (6) 1-1 (3) 3-1 (9)
Pnktd 1-1 (4) 2-0 (5) 0-2 (2) 2-2 (7)
Drth O 1-1 (4) 1-1 (4) 0-2 (1) 1-3 (5)
Jim 1-1 (4) 1-1 (3) 0-2 (2) 1-3 (5)

Shmi15 1-1 (3) 2-0 (6) 1-1 (4) 3-1 (10)
McNzle 1-1 (3) 2-0 (5) 0-0 (0) 2-0 (5)
Caedus 1-1 (3) 2-0 (6) 0-2 (1) 2-2 (7)
UShmi 1-1 (3) 2-0 (5) 0-2 (1) 2-2 (6)
FlyArw 1-1 (3) 1-1 (4) 0-2 (0) 1-3 (4)

Timmer 0-2 (2) 2-2 (8) 0-0 (0) 2-2 (8)

Jenri 0-2 (1) 3-1 (10) 0-0 (0) 3-1 (10)
Nrkon 0-2 (1) 2-2 (6) 0-0 (0) 2-2 (6)

DRattle 0-2 (0) 3-1 (9) 0-0 (0) 3-1 (9)

Luckily - the only true ties we have now (Urban Jedi + Frenchy and Urbanshmi + Caedus) should be playing each other. No need for the roll off (or as the computer does it - random selection)

Spry v Tint
Ultra v Kezza
Urban Jedi v Frenchy
Pnktd v Darth O
Schmi15 v McNizzle
Caedus v UrbanShmi
FlyingArrow v TimmerB123
Naarkon v DarthRattlehead
Naarkon
Posted: Tuesday, October 3, 2017 9:58:43 AM

The above pairings are the same as the official ones, and new pairings are posted in the pairing thread.
FlyingArrow
Posted: Tuesday, October 3, 2017 10:43:36 AM

Good call, Timmerb. Thanks, Naarkon.
FlyingArrow
Posted: Monday, October 9, 2017 11:27:47 AM

Anyone have predictions on who will win at this point?
Darth O
Posted: Monday, October 9, 2017 11:30:35 AM

My best guess is TINT
FlyingArrow
Posted: Monday, October 9, 2017 11:33:11 AM

Do you think he wins the rematch against spry, or is spry going to lose somewhere else along the lines?
FlyingArrow
Posted: Tuesday, October 10, 2017 11:37:59 AM

Anyone have a game scheduled?