RegisterDonateLogin

Bloominous beings are we...not this crude matter.

Welcome Guest Active Topics | Members

Fall Vassal Tournament Discussion Options
Darth_Frenchy
Posted: Monday, October 2, 2017 12:17:40 PM
Groups: Member

Naarkon wrote:
Okay everyone, calm down. This is getting ridiculous. In the following post I use some thoughts and reply to some thoughts by different posts in this thread. I didn't quote anything since frankly, there were too many, and I didn't feel the need to call anyone out by name.

When I started the tournament, the goal was to generally create a similar environment to that of an in-person regional (for example, that is why the maplist was changed, to better reflect the current tourney maplist). However, there are differences between physical and vassal play that make a perfect replica impossible.

At a physical regional, yes, you can watch other games. However, you cannot watch how a player sets up on a particular map, their opening moves, etc. You can only see the matches that take longer than yours that are often in the finishing stages, and if you are anything like me you either wander around just seeing what people are running or maybe watch a squad that you helped test or something. In no case (ignoring the guy with the bye, nobody wants to be that guy anyway) do you get to watch a full match, showing a player's complete strategy.

I did not mention anything about locked or open rooms up to this point, so anything anybody did with their rooms has been allowed.

Playing a round across 10 days, at different times, and with varying knowledge of corner cases and specific rulings on interactions, it is understood that yes, cheating could occur, and we are all trusting each other to not bend the rules just because there is no enforcement. Heck, you all trusted me to not look at your squads and run a counter to the majority of them (I think the results back up my integrity here, 0-2 with 1 point lol). If you are worried enough about cheating that locked or open rooms is an issue, vassal play might not be for you. Sorry.

As I understand from previous posts (having never encountered this at the limited number of regionals I have attended) you can ask someone to leave your table at a regional. To me this equates to leaving a room locked in vassal. Maybe not everyone does it, but it is allowed.

No one is entitled to watch someone else's match. You spent no money getting to this point, and no money will be earned at the end. There are no prizes, travel times, contracts, or endorsement deals. It's just two people playing a match, the results of which will be posted afterwards for you to read.

Going forward, if either player requests that their room stay locked, then it stays locked. If both players are cool with leaving the room open and announcing a play time on the forum, go for it. It might be wise to include your preference while scheduling so that your opponent does not announce a match you would rather not be watched in.

I'm sorry to hear that various players are considering leaving the tournament, but I had to make a decision, and I made the one that I feel is the most reasonable. If you have any additional thoughts on the subject feel free to reply or send me a bloomail.

I am postponing the start of round 3 by one day since there might be changes in players.

Well said and good call. After each round is over, if you all would like to post replays of your games on the Facebook Group as Tint suggested that would be amazing for the community! :)
TimmerB123
Posted: Monday, October 2, 2017 12:23:32 PM

We'll have to wait to see who's quitting before ranking, but here's an update - (again, all guesses)

Name record (tournament score) - opponents combined records (Opponents combined tournament score)

Ranking:
Tournament score
Record
Head to head
Strength of schedule (opponents combined records)

Spry 2-0 (6) - 2-2 (7)
Tint 2-0 (6) - 1-3 (5)
DB 2-0 (6) - 1-3 (3)
Ultra 2-0 (5) - 2-2 (6)
Kezza 2-0 (5) - 1-1 (4)
UJ 1-1 (4) - 3-1 (10)
Frenchy 1-1 (4) - 3-1 (9)
Pnktd 1-1 (4) - 2-2 (7)
Darth O 1-1 (4) - 1-3 (5)
Jim 1-1 (4) - 1-3 (5)
McNizzle 1-1 (3) - 2-0 (5)
Shmi15 1-1 (3) - 3-1 (10)
Caedus 1-1 (3) - 2-2 (7)
UShmi 1-1 (3) - 2-2 (6)
FlyArrow 1-1 (3) - 1-3 (4)
Timmerb123 0-2 (2) - 2-2 (8)
Jen'ari 0-2 (1) - 3-1 (10)
Naarkon 0-2 (1) - 2-2 (6)
DRattle 0-2 (0) - 3-1 (9)

Now Spry plays TINT for sure, Ultra vs Kezza, UJ vs Frenchy, Pnktd vs (either Jim or Darth O), the other vs McNizzle, Shmi vs (Caedus or UrbanShmi), the other vs Flying Arrow, TimmerB123 vs Jen'ari (in a locked room) and Naarkon vs DRattlehead
spryguy1981
Posted: Monday, October 2, 2017 12:24:07 PM

Naarkon wrote:
Okay everyone, calm down. This is getting ridiculous. In the following post I use some thoughts and reply to some thoughts by different posts in this thread. I didn't quote anything since frankly, there were too many, and I didn't feel the need to call anyone out by name.

When I started the tournament, the goal was to generally create a similar environment to that of an in-person regional (for example, that is why the maplist was changed, to better reflect the current tourney maplist). However, there are differences between physical and vassal play that make a perfect replica impossible.

At a physical regional, yes, you can watch other games. However, you cannot watch how a player sets up on a particular map, their opening moves, etc. You can only see the matches that take longer than yours that are often in the finishing stages, and if you are anything like me you either wander around just seeing what people are running or maybe watch a squad that you helped test or something. In no case (ignoring the guy with the bye, nobody wants to be that guy anyway) do you get to watch a full match, showing a player's complete strategy.

I did not mention anything about locked or open rooms up to this point, so anything anybody did with their rooms has been allowed.

Playing a round across 10 days, at different times, and with varying knowledge of corner cases and specific rulings on interactions, it is understood that yes, cheating could occur, and we are all trusting each other to not bend the rules just because there is no enforcement. Heck, you all trusted me to not look at your squads and run a counter to the majority of them (I think the results back up my integrity here, 0-2 with 1 point lol). If you are worried enough about cheating that locked or open rooms is an issue, vassal play might not be for you. Sorry.

As I understand from previous posts (having never encountered this at the limited number of regionals I have attended) you can ask someone to leave your table at a regional. To me this equates to leaving a room locked in vassal. Maybe not everyone does it, but it is allowed.

No one is entitled to watch someone else's match. You spent no money getting to this point, and no money will be earned at the end. There are no prizes, travel times, contracts, or endorsement deals. It's just two people playing a match, the results of which will be posted afterwards for you to read.

Going forward, if either player requests that their room stay locked, then it stays locked. If both players are cool with leaving the room open and announcing a play time on the forum, go for it. It might be wise to include your preference while scheduling so that your opponent does not announce a match you would rather not be watched in.

I'm sorry to hear that various players are considering leaving the tournament, but I had to make a decision, and I made the one that I feel is the most reasonable. If you have any additional thoughts on the subject feel free to reply or send me a bloomail.

I am postponing the start of round 3 by one day since there might be changes in players.

+1 I think you're doing a great job with this tournament and respect the effort you have put in.
FlyingArrow
Posted: Monday, October 2, 2017 12:26:31 PM
Groups: Member , Moderator

Deaths_Baine wrote:
Well I'm out. Thanks for the decision and work naarkon.

Honestly? It messes with everyone if anyone quits. It's an insult to Naarkon and an inconvenience to everyone for anyone to quit. Please reconsider.
TimmerB123
Posted: Monday, October 2, 2017 12:28:03 PM

FlyingArrow wrote:
Deaths_Baine wrote:

Honestly? It messes with everyone if anyone quits. It's an insult to Naarkon and an inconvenience to everyone for anyone to quit. Please reconsider.

I support anyone's option to quit.
Deaths_Baine
Posted: Monday, October 2, 2017 12:35:24 PM

FlyingArrow wrote:
Deaths_Baine wrote:

No. This is no longer a tournament it is a ranked collection of casual games. Which I have no interest in being a part of.

What's an inconvience is people locking rooms in a tournament.
fingersandteeth
Posted: Monday, October 2, 2017 1:49:53 PM

I don't understand the issue with locking rooms or not.

Honestly, when I played vassal tourneys (many moons past) people would often lock them to concentrate on their games. I wouldn't but I understand why they would. Someone always came in and started typing things, breaking up the flow.

The interface with vassal isn't smooth and an hour game often extended much longer. I actually have no idea how you guys keep the time frame up altering HP values etc etc. I tried to make it more efficient but it never worked out for me, hence why I don't engage in them, its too much of a time sink and I would do dumb things on vassal I wouldn't with the 3d spatial view of real life.
Certainly, having anyone come in and comment would slow things down. Not having that inconvenience goes a long way.

Further, being able to watch people play and set up doesn't really re-create a tournament. You don't watch other people at a store tournament, you play at the same time. I cannot tell you how any team in the Gen Con championships played unless I played them, and I played as many games as anyone and often finished with tens of minutes to spare.

Many people do not have the time to sit and watch matches played giving those who can an advantage. In order to flatten that, game logs should be created for every match and made available. I don't think that is reasonable and you shouldn't feel its necessary in what is a casual tournament with nothing to gain but bragging rights.

urbanjedi
Posted: Monday, October 2, 2017 1:57:41 PM

FlyingArrow wrote:
Deaths_Baine wrote:

I would rather someone withdraw (whether it creates a bye or not) than not have fun playing in said event.

jen'ari
Posted: Monday, October 2, 2017 2:01:40 PM

Well have fun with your "we support accommodations" vassal "special" regional.

I don't know how serious I can take swm anymore.
Literally, I have been playing and play testing and playing more and making squads and all this stuff so that I can prepare for gencon.

I don't want to go to gencon with a bunch of "making accommodation" pseudo-competitors.

This is so soft and weak it ruins everything.Tim you are as pompous and self righteous as ever.

I tried to tell everyone that competition was dead. Last gencon proved that. I literally just told shmi15 the other day that competition was back....
Than this pandering nonsense.

It's pathetic in terms of competition.

I'm out.

I will wait for a competitive environment (if there is one left)
shmi15
Posted: Monday, October 2, 2017 2:16:04 PM

I'm still in. Although I disagree that if two people disagree, the locked room prevails, but whatever. Its not even worth a discussion at this point. Just tell me who I play and lets get this on.

I would like to go ahead and state no one is welcomed to watch any of my matches either. I will be playing behind locked doors from this point forward.
Darth_Frenchy
Posted: Monday, October 2, 2017 3:12:13 PM

jen'ari wrote:
Well have fun with your "we support accommodations" vassal "special" regional.

I don't know how serious I can take swm anymore.
Literally, I have been playing and play testing and playing more and making squads and all this stuff so that I can prepare for gencon.

I don't want to go to gencon with a bunch of "making accommodation" pseudo-competitors.

This is so soft and weak it ruins everything.Tim you are as pompous and self righteous as ever.

I tried to tell everyone that competition was dead. Last gencon proved that. I literally just told shmi15 the other day that competition was back....
Than this pandering nonsense.

It's pathetic in terms of competition.

I'm out.

I will wait for a competitive environment (if there is one left)

Gencon? Don't talk about Gencon. Are you kidding me? Gencon? Im just hoping we can win a game!LOL
TimmerB123
Posted: Monday, October 2, 2017 4:24:29 PM

Irony:

Someone quitting the tournament because they are upset that they didn't get their way . . .

While mocking the tournament calling it a "we support accommodations" vassal "special" regional.

Laugh LOL
TimmerB123
Posted: Monday, October 2, 2017 4:28:49 PM

We'll have to wait to see the finalization of who's quitting before ranking, but here's an update - (again, all guesses)

Name record (tournament score) - opponents combined records (Opponents combined tournament score)

Ranking:
Tournament score
Record
Head to head
Strength of schedule (opponents combined records)

Spry 2-0 (6) - 2-2 (7)
Tint 2-0 (6) - 1-3 (5)
DB 2-0 (6) - 1-3 (3)
Ultra 2-0 (5) - 2-2 (6)
Kezza 2-0 (5) - 1-1 (4)
UJ 1-1 (4) - 3-1 (10)
Frenchy 1-1 (4) - 3-1 (9)
Pnktd 1-1 (4) - 2-2 (7)
Darth O 1-1 (4) - 1-3 (5)
Jim 1-1 (4) - 1-3 (5)
McNizzle 1-1 (3) - 2-0 (5)
Shmi15 1-1 (3) - 3-1 (10)
Caedus 1-1 (3) - 2-2 (7)
UShmi 1-1 (3) - 2-2 (6)
FlyArrow 1-1 (3) - 1-3 (4)
Timmerb123 0-2 (2) - 2-2 (8)
Jen'ari 0-2 (1) - 3-1 (10)
Naarkon 0-2 (1) - 2-2 (6)
DRattle 0-2 (0) - 3-1 (9)

Spry v TINT
Ultra vs Kezza
UJ vs Frenchy
Pnktd vs (either Jim or Darth O)
(either Jim or Darth O) vs McNizzle
Shmi vs (Caedus or UrbanShmi),
(Either Caedus or UrbanShmi) vs Flying Arrow
TimmerB123 vs Naarkon
DRattlehead - bye

The 4 pairings in the middle are variable since the 2 sets of players are exactly tied. Without the computer pairing software, it might be a coin flip.

If someone wants to figure out the next steps of tiebreakers after full SOS, please feel free
TimmerB123
Posted: Monday, October 2, 2017 4:40:38 PM

Actually I was wrong. Full SoS is lower down the tiebreaker list

This is what it has as tiebreakers (after tournament points):

1. Total Wins-The player with the most wins.
2. Head to Head Matchups – The player who has won any head to head matchups would be ahead of the loser in a head to head matchup.
3. SOS 1- The players strength of schedule minus the player's worst win.
4. SOS 2- As 3, factoring only the defeated players.
5. SOS 3-The players full strength of schedule
6. Roll Off-tied players will roll a D20, highest roll placing above the rest.

I believe "worst win" in #3 means dropping the opponent with the worst record which a player beat from their SoS

Deaths_Baine
Posted: Monday, October 2, 2017 4:42:08 PM

TimmerB123 wrote:
Irony:

Someone quitting the tournament because they are upset that they didn't get their way . . .

While mocking the tournament calling it a "we support accommodations" vassal "special" regional.

Laugh LOL

You mean mocking the tournament for creating a set of standards that runs contrary to literally every tournament ever.... be it sports, games, etc.

I hope spry makes the championship and doesn't let anyone watch lol.

Oh wait.. he can handle tops at gencon he should be fine...
jen'ari
Posted: Monday, October 2, 2017 4:45:24 PM

Deaths_Baine wrote:
TimmerB123 wrote:
Irony:

Laugh LOL

You mean mocking the tournament for creating a set of standards that runs contrary to literally every tournament ever.... be it sports, games, etc.

leave Tim alone before his feelings are hurt and he leaves the game for a month and a half and people start sending him support bloomails.
shmi15
Posted: Monday, October 2, 2017 4:57:04 PM

So I play UrbanShmi or Caedus? Do they just need to roll it out or is their something we can look at to see who I play?

One of them play me, the other plays Flying Arrow, I'm cool with howevver they decide who plays who, just let me know so I can schedule my game.
TimmerB123
Posted: Monday, October 2, 2017 5:00:57 PM

jen'ari wrote:
Deaths_Baine wrote:
TimmerB123 wrote:
Irony:

Laugh LOL

leave Tim alone before his feelings are hurt and he leaves the game for a month and a half and people start sending him support bloomails.

Kisses and snuggles you two. I have nuthin' but love for ya!

Heart
TimmerB123
Posted: Monday, October 2, 2017 5:02:26 PM

shmi15 wrote:
So I play UrbanShmi or Caedus? Do they just need to roll it out or is their something we can look at to see who I play?

One of them play me, the other plays Flying Arrow, I'm cool with howevver they decide who plays who, just let me know so I can schedule my game.

Naarkon will post official matchups later.

I am just making educated guesses (and I was slightly wrong on where full SoS lands in the order of tiebreakers)

I will try and figure it out. Because it entertains me
jen'ari
Posted: Monday, October 2, 2017 5:09:16 PM

TimmerB123 wrote:

Naarkon will post official matchups later.

I am just making educated guesses (and I was slightly wrong on where full SoS lands in the order of tiebreakers)

I will try and figure it out. Because it entertains me

this is you realizing how much overreach you just did. thanks for reading my other post.

HAHAHAHA so predictable.

pander to Naarkon now hahahaahaha brown nose. where is the little "innocent strike" oh there it is, directed at yourself this time. great tactic. humanize your overreach there Lord Tim.

it begins.