Pass on what you have learned.

Welcome Guest Active Topics | Members

CCC Week 76 Nightsisters Options
jen'ari
Posted: Monday, October 30, 2017 1:04:09 PM
Groups: Member

surf_rider56 wrote:

I hate CE's that give out
a power that character doesn't have themselves, doesn't seem right.

hmm this seems odd. I would like to hear your explanation if you care to give it.
A ton of commanders are "sayers" not "doers"

For instance, Thrawn does not swap people, but he grants swap. That is what a commander does, shifts people around.
Or, Jabba the Hutt.... he is definitely worthy of a CE.. but he grants many other things that he, himself, does not have. This can be said about tons of people.

Commanders do not just lead by example is I guess what I am saying.

surf_rider56
Posted: Monday, October 30, 2017 1:44:18 PM

jen'ari wrote:
surf_rider56 wrote:

I hate CE's that give out
a power that character doesn't have themselves, doesn't seem right.

hmm this seems odd. I would like to hear your explanation if you care to give it.
A ton of commanders are "sayers" not "doers"

For instance, Thrawn does not swap people, but he grants swap. That is what a commander does, shifts people around.
Or, Jabba the Hutt.... he is definitely worthy of a CE.. but he grants many other things that he, himself, does not have. This can be said about tons of people.

Commanders do not just lead by example is I guess what I am saying.

If I was going to be picky, I'd say Thrawn and Jabba a major pieces on a galactic scale where Talzin is a major player more localized ... but in truth its just one of many peeves I have, like the "must fit on a card." That's a standard I keep myself to as well as others, just IMO actually, never anything personal.
General_Grievous
Posted: Monday, October 30, 2017 1:45:53 PM

surf_rider56 wrote:
Just got back from a long weekend; here's a quick rundown as I see it this sec .....

GG - Daka. Zombie Reserves; interesting idea, but the CE, shouldn't they come back, after being
defeated, As Zombies??

It's all based on massacre episode, Daka didn't reanimate living ones that just died, she brought back a specific one packed in a nest-like structure. And then those zombies were particularily hard to kill. So I was trying to recreate "tougher zombies"

And Jen'ari I think Surf is referring to giving out a specific ability that she doesn't have. There is no special ability called Swap this thrawn has so your point is valid. Surf is saying things like the Jabba you mentioned Crime Lord, gives out cunning attack, but he also has it. From a card point it helped to save on card space if the ability was defined because the current character had it and it also made sense that a character is giving out an ability that they have mastered.
jen'ari
Posted: Monday, October 30, 2017 1:46:04 PM

1. NovaUseless - literally liked it more than i did my own Talzin Night Hex is a thing of beauty
2. Swinefeld - spirit ichor is fun, poison is fun, and repulse is fun
3. Caedus - digging the vongsense and Totem Magic is sweet (still wished it activated since it is replaces turn) but love it.
jen'ari
Posted: Monday, October 30, 2017 1:49:24 PM

General_Grievous wrote:
surf_rider56 wrote:
Just got back from a long weekend; here's a quick rundown as I see it this sec .....

GG - Daka. Zombie Reserves; interesting idea, but the CE, shouldn't they come back, after being
defeated, As Zombies??

It's all based on massacre episode, Daka didn't reanimate living ones that just died, she brought back a specific one packed in a nest-like structure. And then those zombies were particularily hard to kill. So I was trying to recreate "tougher zombies"

And Jen'ari I think Surf is referring to giving out a specific ability that she doesn't have. There is no special ability called Swap this thrawn has so your point is valid. Surf is saying things like the Jabba you mentioned Crime Lord, gives out cunning attack, but he also has it. From a card point it helped to save on card space if the ability was defined because the current character had it and it also made sense that a character is giving out an ability that they have mastered.

Oh that makes more sense, but still does not make full sense. For instance, Gregg Popovich is a "commander" he is helping his Center box out and do all the things he has never been able to do (because he had a different skill set). He can grant a Center "box out" or "Drop step" even though he did not ever use those.

The point being that I fully disagree that a piece has to have an ability to be able to grant it. Jabba the Hutt should not have Cunning Attack but granting it via CE should be fine.
jen'ari
Posted: Monday, October 30, 2017 1:51:33 PM

surf_rider56 wrote:

If I was going to be picky, I'd say Thrawn and Jabba a major pieces on a galactic scale where Talzin is a major player more localized ... but in truth its just one of many peeves I have, like the "must fit on a card." That's a standard I keep myself to as well as others, just IMO actually, never anything personal.

I understand it is your opinion. I am more interested in understanding your opinion on design. I think design is great and versatile I am interested in the ways others deisgn, the rules they set, etc.

We had a huge debate on bloo (and still do at various times) about designing for flavor vs designing for function.

I think it allows growth. so my wanting to understand is just that.
surf_rider56
Posted: Monday, October 30, 2017 3:00:36 PM

jen'ari wrote:
surf_rider56 wrote:

I understand it is your opinion. I am more interested in understanding your opinion on design. I think design is great and versatile I am interested in the ways others deisgn, the rules they set, etc.

We had a huge debate on bloo (and still do at various times) about designing for flavor vs designing for function.

I think it allows growth. so my wanting to understand is just that.

I am probably unique in that I am not only (I think) the only serious card maker here, but I often have the picture dictate who/what I make. I've been known to take an idea, research it on Wook as much as possible and create the card/character in a half hour lunch ... and I've also got about 200-300 cards on the back burner either waiting for a better idea or more inspiration to pop up, or in other words I "overthink" it. Flavor? I'm more of a Faction/flavor guy (a Sith would never do That but a Jedi would ....) but I'm pretty strict on my rules about if it doesn't belong to that faction, it "ain't happening.) I'm pretty hard on myself about following my card rules and costing, which admittedly leaks into a "Friendly" contest on CCC. Mea Culpa.

I've noticed many an argument on Bloo and stay out of them. I'm not a serious player. I'm lucky if I get a dozen games in a year, more like 6-8, so I'm as casual as can be and therefore my opinion/viewpoint is different from more hardcore guys. I just make my cards for fun; its a hobby that's both interesting to me and can be done by my lonesome, although I'm always appreciative about comments on my cards, but don't get me started on that .....

Now .... voting ..... hmmmmm
surf_rider56
Posted: Monday, October 30, 2017 3:23:35 PM

Voting ..... well ....

Personally, I like My Talzin, but I'm admittedly biased .... but I'd love to steal Vongsense from Caedus, Hex from Hova and Home World from Jen'ari .... but as I've teased jak And Blem already, all that would Never fit on a card Cool

GG, I Can't do Zombies .... I made a bunch of cards back in the day and I Still can't deal with them RollEyes

LB, jak, Blem & Swine ....

LB, I like Ventriss, but could've been ....more is all that comes to mind.

jak & Blem ..... Too much for one character ...

3rd - LB

2nd - jak; too much but putting the bias aside, you had "less too much" than Blem.

1st - Swine. Nice piece; a good Jedi would shread her if based, but I think that's what would've happened in the SW reality anyway .....

ThumbsUp High fives to jak & Blem for not going the obvious Ventriss/Talzin/non-unique nightsister route! BlooMilk BlooMilk BlooMilk

blemelisk
Posted: Monday, October 30, 2017 4:03:27 PM

1: swinefeld (she be spooky)
2: GG (love the fact you created a few new interesting abilities and made a follow on char to help explain this one, reminds me of someone else that has done the same) Wink
3: Jak (any Rancor named Cuddles is alright in my book)

The way i figure it, yea i think i should have lowered mines HP etc a bit, and take away one of her FAs. I was aiming for a strong utility leader ala Emperor Palp etc.
swinefeld
Posted: Monday, October 30, 2017 4:04:03 PM
Groups: Member , Moderator

votes will go here shortly...looking at everything one last time. this is a tough one.

edit: and... first off, so many cool ideas here - hats off to GG for the topic. We need a Talzin!

1. surf - as GG said, really great representation (no bias/guilt for my nitpicking ;))
2. LB - solid, all around
3. Hova - helluva first entry, pretty heavy card (could trim it down a bit) but Transfer Essence was a surprise, and then a way of bringing factioned Nightsisters in without using Affinity (which on a Fringe character = Cursing for me)

In no specific order

Blem - very cool, just seems like BHC/Epic level Force Powers (I wouldn't be against such a piece getting made!) BigGrin

jak - FUN! I was thinking of going there, chickened out after I saw yours. I was thinking a "Summon Rancor" SA (maybe as a reinforcement removed from board until she calls it later?). A+ for enthusiasm and some cool ideas.

Jen'ari - Home World is very cool, and Mist and the Lightning. Coin toss for my 3rd place. I'd still like her to have Master Illusion. Sorry I didn't comment more, I missed a card trim suggestion or two.

GG - I'm shocked - SHOCKED I say, that you designed a Reserves piece. haha Now that I've made it this far into commenting, at minimum it's another contender for my 3rd, or even deserve higher for flavor, simplicity, general balance, and fun factor. But to finish up, I'll just have to owe you one. BlooMilk
surf_rider56
Posted: Monday, October 30, 2017 7:16:51 PM

If I count, Swine is winning big, with me 2nd (story of my life) and I voted for him too .... oh well. Anybody bother to count other votes? I'm two beers in the hole and I think I want to go nite nite ......... Wink
surf_rider56
Posted: Monday, October 30, 2017 7:18:21 PM

jen'ari wrote:
General_Grievous wrote:
surf_rider56 wrote:

defeated, As Zombies??

Oh that makes more sense, but still does not make full sense. For instance, Gregg Popovich is a "commander" he is helping his Center box out and do all the things he has never been able to do (because he had a different skill set). He can grant a Center "box out" or "Drop step" even though he did not ever use those.

The point being that I fully disagree that a piece has to have an ability to be able to grant it. Jabba the Hutt should not have Cunning Attack but granting it via CE should be fine.

... what GG said .... and I'm ok with differing opinions, otherwise life would be boring BlooMilk
General_Grievous
Posted: Tuesday, October 31, 2017 5:15:33 AM

I think we still needed Caedus and Jen'ari to vote but currently it's Swine in first with Surf right behind, and brand new Hova making a splash in third:

Surf 9
LB 3
Hova 5
Swine 11
GG 2
Jak 3
Jen'ari 2
jen'ari
Posted: Tuesday, October 31, 2017 5:49:29 AM

i voted already GG
General_Grievous
Posted: Tuesday, October 31, 2017 5:56:17 AM

jen'ari wrote:
i voted already GG

Cancel last just Caedus haha
surf_rider56
Posted: Tuesday, October 31, 2017 10:32:49 AM

Since Caedus hasn't voted yet ... maybe we should just move on ....
General_Grievous
Posted: Tuesday, October 31, 2017 12:42:41 PM

Sounds good and congratulations Swine. Happy Star Wars Halloween haha
swinefeld
Posted: Tuesday, October 31, 2017 1:38:08 PM
Groups: Member , Moderator

General_Grievous wrote:
Sounds good and congratulations Swine. Happy Star Wars Halloween haha

Woohoo! Thanks all. BigGrin

I'll get the next mission posted up soon!