RegisterDonateLogin

Will find you, crush you, grind you into little pieces, then blast you into oblivion.

Welcome Guest Active Topics | Members

V-Set 15 Previews Options
FlyingArrow
Posted: Thursday, January 11, 2018 7:31:02 PM
Groups: Member , Moderator

Quote:
Dooku, Separatist Hero - subset 4/6
Seps - RM: Darth Tyranus (RotS)
Cost 45

HP 130
DEF 21
ATK +16
DMG 20

Special Abilities
Unique. Melee Attack; Double Attack
Greater Mobile Attack [Can move both before and after attacking. This character can make extra attacks even if he moves this turn, but he must make them all before resuming movement.]
Makashi Style Mastery [When hit by a melee attack, this character takes no damage with a save of 11. Shii-Cho, Soresu, Ataru, and Niman Style cannot be used against this character.]

Force Powers
Force 4. Force Renewal 1; Master of the Force 2
Force Lightning 2 [Force 2, replaces attacks: range 6; 30 damage to target and 2 characters adjacent to that target]
Lightsaber Precision [Force 1: This character gets +10 Damage on his next attack]

Now being discussed on SHNN.

As well as the subset overall.
http://www.talkshoe.com/talkshoe/web/talkCast.jsp?masterId=63807
FlyingArrow
Posted: Thursday, January 11, 2018 9:14:36 PM

So what is this subset? As you may have noticed, there are 3 Republic pieces and 3 Separatist pieces. The title of the subset is Heroes on Both Sides, and each character is known as either a Separatist Hero or a Republic Hero. (That will make it easier to remember which subset these pieces came from.) The goal for this subset was a self-contained 3vs3 game. It might be best to just paste in what was said to the playtesters:

Quote:
So here's the deal with the subset. First off, it's Republic vs Separatist because Republic and Seps have gotten very few pieces for 2 or 3 sets in a row. (Although they do still have more pieces overall.) One goal with this subset is to have it serve as a good self-contained introductory game. Together, the 3 pieces on each side add up to 125 points (note that this came down to 115 after PT), and we want the 3vs3 game to simultaneously be
* simple enough for it to be used as a game for a brand new player,
* complex enough to introduce many of the fundamental aspects of the game (CE, targeting, Twin, Double, GMA, Force points, etc), and
* interesting enough that experienced players don't mind replaying the same matchup multiple times.

It's a tall order, but here we go.

I hope we met the goals. I've already used it once to introduce the game to a new player, and I plan to make it my go-to teaching tool once I have the physical cards. It does in fact include commander effects, shooters (for targeting), Twin, Double, Greater Mobile Attack, and Force points. At the same time, the interactions are pretty basic. The most complex things on any of the cards (Rolling Fire in Plo Koon's CE and the condition on Grievous' CE) don't come into play at all in the 3vs3 game so a teacher can just tell a new player to ignore that part for now. After playtesting it a few times, I don't know which side has an advantage. I'm sure one side does - in a game like this it's pretty much certain that one side has at least a small advantage. But I don't know which side is stronger, and even after playtesting the 3vs3 game was fun enough that I kept playing it. So I hope the game works for others as well, and if you figure out the killer strategy that gives an auto-win to one side or the other, you can even feel free to share it.

You'll also notice that 4 of the 6 characters are commanders. The commander effects are a natural hook to let a new player start exploring other characters to expand on the first 6 characters without having to look at all 1600+ characters we now have in the game. Just look at the characters that benefit from those CEs. The CEs also let these characters be releveant to the standard 200pt game beyond the 3vs3 teaching game.

I don't know if people will use the subset much for this 3vs3 game, but that was the rationale for the subset.
FlyingArrow
Posted: Thursday, January 11, 2018 10:39:02 PM

Even if you don't get a chance to play them, I'm interested in hearing which side people think is stronger in the 3v3.
General_Grievous
Posted: Thursday, January 11, 2018 10:46:54 PM
Groups: Member

Awesome idea and the most excited I have been about a subset since Vehicles of War or Invasion. Awesome to see some blast from the past Clone Wars. And I will definitely battle this 3v3 against my brother Obi Dan Kenobi and let you know who is victorious haha. Great job though!
FlyingArrow
Posted: Friday, January 12, 2018 5:49:15 AM

Quote:
Rogue One Marine 13/30
Rebel - RM: Red Hand Trooper (MotF 18)
Cost 16

HP 50
Def 15
Att +6
Dam 20

Special Abilities
Coordinated Movement [At the end of this character's turn, 1 Unique Rogue One ally may immediately move up to 2 squares]

Satchel Charge [Replaces attacks: Designate 1 adjacent door as open; it remains open for the rest of the skirmish and cannot be closed]

Stealth [If this character has cover, it does not count as the nearest enemy for an attacker farther than 6 squares when choosing targets]

Synergy +4 [+4 Attack and +4 Defense while a Unique Rogue One ally is within 6 squares]
CorellianComedian
Posted: Friday, January 12, 2018 8:03:11 AM

Okay, that subset looks amazing. I was thinking that some of the cards are a little crowded for newbies, but they aren't that bad, and none of the abilities are really that hard to figure out. That's a great intro to the game right there; they get to see right away how complex the pieces are, but then after just one game, they're familiar with 3-4 characters you can build a decent squad around. Very nicely done.
FlyingArrow
Posted: Friday, January 12, 2018 6:25:41 PM

If you play it, let us know who wins.
FlyingArrow
Posted: Friday, January 12, 2018 10:14:03 PM

Quote:
Kul Teska 9/30
Separatist - RM: Wat Tambor, TUF (GaW)
Cost 42

HP 80
DEF +18
ATK +12
DMG 20

Special Abilities
Unique. Pilot. Flight

Double Attack; Twin Attack

Impact Wave [At the end of this character's turn, push back adjacent Huge or smaller characters to 3 squares from this character]

Improved Missiles 20 [Replaces attacks: sight; 20 damage to target and to each character adjacent to that target; save 16]

Rival [Cannot be in a squad with a character whose name contains Cad Bane]

Satchel Charge [Replaces attacks: Designate 1 adjacent door as open; it remains open for the rest of the skirmish and cannot be closed]

Shields 1 [When this character takes damage, he reduces the damage dealt by 10 with a save of 11]

After a disfiguring explosion, this former Techo Union scientist became a renowned, arrogant and ruthless mercenary on par with his rival Cad Bane.
General_Grievous
Posted: Friday, January 12, 2018 10:46:38 PM

Nice old school video game character, shields is a nice touch but not seeing any immediate squads that jump out at me for him. Nice with new Kalani though!
shmi15
Posted: Saturday, January 13, 2018 8:14:41 AM

FlyingArrow wrote:
Quote:
Kul Teska 9/30
Separatist - RM: Wat Tambor, TUF (GaW)
Cost 42

HP 80
DEF +18
ATK +12
DMG 20

Special Abilities
Unique. Pilot. Flight

Double Attack; Twin Attack

Impact Wave [At the end of this character's turn, push back adjacent Huge or smaller characters to 3 squares from this character]

Improved Missiles 20 [Replaces attacks: sight; 20 damage to target and to each character adjacent to that target; save 16]

Rival [Cannot be in a squad with a character whose name contains Cad Bane]

Shields 1 [When this character takes damage, he reduces the damage dealt by 10 with a save of 11]

After a disfiguring explosion, this former Techo Union scientist became a renowned, arrogant and ruthless mercenary on par with his rival Cad Bane.

Impact Wave is a movement breaker for Huge/smaller characters? But it also works against enemies? Do I HAVE to move 3 squares? Or can I choose for it not to work on some people... but work on others?

random example. I have 6 guys adjacent to him, I know absurd, but just wondering.
A,B,C are my allies, and X,Y,Z are my enemies. Can I choose who it effects in any way? Like could I do A,X,Y,Z?
Or A,B,X,Y,Z? Or Does everyone have to move away? The wording is odd in it is all
FlyingArrow
Posted: Saturday, January 13, 2018 8:25:05 AM

The ability is optional, but if you use it it affects all adjacent characters. It's like Repulse in that way.
shmi15
Posted: Saturday, January 13, 2018 8:57:21 AM

FlyingArrow wrote:
The ability is optional, but if you use it it affects all adjacent characters. It's like Repulse in that way.

OK, the way the ability starts off it looks like its forced, but then the movement portion made it seem like it was optional. So if I use it, it does it to everyone. But I don't have to use it? Thats pretty neat, and can be devastating to some Melee pieces who may have based a different enemy. Can it be used to separate people from R2?
FlyingArrow
Posted: Saturday, January 13, 2018 9:06:20 AM

Good eye. You should join QC. I pasted in the last stat block, but QC changed that wording for the card. Here's the final wording:

Quote:

Impact Wave [At the end of this character's turn, he may immediately push back adjacent Huge or smaller characters to 3 squares away]
FlyingArrow
Posted: Saturday, January 13, 2018 12:29:35 PM

shmi15 wrote:
Can it be used to separate people from R2?

Yes, it's just like repulse except that it only affects adjacent characters instead of all characters within a given radius. They will only be moving 1 or 2 squares. They are pushed back to 3 squares away, but if they're adjacent they're already either 1 or (if diagonal) 2 squares away. You can choose the order to move them, the movement doesn't provoke attacks of opportunity, and nobody can move through other characters during this movement. Just like other involuntary movement.
shmi15
Posted: Saturday, January 13, 2018 2:26:30 PM

FlyingArrow wrote:
shmi15 wrote:
Can it be used to separate people from R2?

Yes, it's just like repulse except that it only affects adjacent characters instead of all characters within a given radius. They will only be moving 1 or 2 squares. They are pushed back to 3 squares away, but if they're adjacent they're already either 1 or (if diagonal) 2 squares away. You can choose the order to move them, the movement doesn't provoke attacks of opportunity, and nobody can move through other characters during this movement. Just like other involuntary movement.

I like that. I think Seps just got some big boosts in this set so far, and thats not a bad thing.
FlyingArrow
Posted: Saturday, January 13, 2018 7:37:02 PM

As a Pilot, Kul Teska has access to Greater Mobile Attack. It does take 36 points worth of commanders (plus a Mouse or 2) and is disruptible, but with GMA he joins that class of double-twin-GMA shooters (Dash, Rex, Cad Bane) that is pretty fearsome. We'll see if that makes a splash or not. Jango Fett, Assassin at 47 points has access to the same double-twin-GMA through Whorm and a TBSV, but he doesn't hit the table much. Kul Teska's combo is 7 points cheaper (he's 42 instead of 47 and needs 36pts of commanders instead of 38pts).

For those 7 points, Jango gets a slight stat boost and most importantly a damage boost from Assassin. Also, Jango needs Whorm, who will probably help the rest of the squad more than the Klat Captain will (who Kul needs instead for his double-twin-gma combo). Kul has lower stats and damage output, but adds Satchel Charge, Impact Wave, and Shields. Overall, as long as you weren't planning to use Whorm anyway, I think Kul Teska ends up being the better bargain, but not sure if he'll land in Tier 1 or not.
FlyingArrow
Posted: Saturday, January 13, 2018 10:25:29 PM

Quote:
Wookiee Commander 3/30
Old Republic - RM: Wookiee Freedom Fighter (AE)
Cost 18

HP 60
Def 17
Att +10
Dam 20

Special Abilities
Affinity [Non-Unique Rebel and Republic Wookiees may be in your squad regardless of faction]
Coordinated Movement [At the end of this character's turn, 1 Wookiee ally may immediately move up to 2 squares]

Commander Effect
If an Old Republic Wookiee follower without a Force rating is within 6 squares of a Unique Old Republic ally with a lightsaber, both get +4 Attack, gain Triple Attack, and lose Twin Attack.
FlyingArrow
Posted: Sunday, January 14, 2018 9:12:25 PM

Quote:
Darth Vader of Scarif 5/30
Sith - RM: Vader Scourge (KotOR)
Cost 49

HP: 130
Def: 22
Atk: +15
Dmg: 20

Special Abilities
Unique. Melee Attack; Double Attack

Affinity [May be in an Imperial squad containing a character whose name contains Krennic]

Damage Reduction 10 [Whenever this character takes damage, reduce the damage dealt by 10. Attacks with lightsabers ignore this special ability.]

Dominant [Whenever a lower-cost enemy damages this character, that enemy takes 10 damage; save 11]

Force Attuned [Once per turn on his turn, this character may use a Force Power that replaces attacks or turn, without replacing attacks or turn]

Force Powers
Force 2. Force Renewal 1; Master of the Force 2

Dominant Force Grab 3 [Force 3, replaces turn: this character may move each lower-cost enemy within 4 squares up to 2 squares; 20 damage to each enemy that ends this movement adjacent to a wall]

Lightsaber Defense [Force 1: When hit by an attack, this character takes no damage with a save of 11]

Lightsaber Sweep [Force 1, replaces attacks: Can attack each adjacent enemy once]

"During the Battle of Scarif, Orson Krennic and Darth Vader both came very close to preventing the Rebels from escaping with the Death Star plans."
FlyingArrow
Posted: Monday, January 15, 2018 8:59:10 PM

Quote:
OOM Security Battle Droid 10/30
Separatist - RM: Battle Droid (GaW 2)
Cost 8

HP: 10
Def: 11
Att: +3
Dam: 10

Special Abilities
Droid
Synergy [Unique Separatist allies get +2 Defense while within 6 squares of this character]
Hero's Bodyguard [If an adjacent Unique ally would take damage from an attack, this character can take the damage instead]

FT:
Security Battle Droids were used as guards both during and after the Clone Wars.
shmi15
Posted: Tuesday, January 16, 2018 8:40:25 AM

FlyingArrow wrote:
Quote:
Wookiee Commander 3/30
Old Republic - RM: Wookiee Freedom Fighter (AE)
Cost 18

HP 60
Def 17
Att +10
Dam 20

Special Abilities
Affinity [Non-Unique Rebel and Republic Wookiees may be in your squad regardless of faction]
Coordinated Movement [At the end of this character's turn, 1 Wookiee ally may immediately move up to 2 squares]

Commander Effect
If an Old Republic Wookiee follower without a Force rating is within 6 squares of a Unique Old Republic ally with a lightsaber, both get +4 Attack, gain Triple Attack, and lose Twin Attack.

That... Is a very interesting CE. +4 and Triple, lose twin. I just wonder who all this benefits? Its very uniquely worded... Which I am against most of the time. TBD on this ones judgement, I would actually have to look and see whats going on with combos.

So this guy with The Jedi Exile/Revanchist all OR get quad attack? Was that the best combo used? Quad attacking Ambushers?