RegisterDonateLogin

So uncivilized.

Welcome Guest Active Topics | Members

Explain the obsession with the EU to me Options
blemelisk
Posted: Sunday, December 24, 2017 12:07:14 PM
Groups: Member

FlyingArrow wrote:
I'm happy to let people like whatever they like.

Exactly!

Ill explain in a slightly different way.

Star Trek Destiny to me isnt Star Trek. It is great Sci Fi, but it isnt Star Trek that i grew up with. It doesnt mean i dont enjoy it, in fact I very much do. It is a new direction for star trek and i appreciate that. my biggest pet peeve is that they completely changed the aesthetic of the Klingons again. The first time i get (they didnt have the budget for a lot of make up back then, thus they looked human). But Klingons of TNG etc were fine! /end rant

The Orville is far more Star Trek than Destiny, but even it has some campy humor in it. I still very much enjoy the show.

With that said, i feel the same way about the EU. Does it have bad stuff in it? Sure. But does it also have some good/fun sci fi in it? Indeed it does.

And I suppose all of us are forgetting that the entire story line of the original trilogy is ancient. The whole plot is basically every Disney movie that you can think of. It is the same story told since antiquity: Unexpected hero told is hero ,yay!, hero has to face big bad (or similar) loses, doubts himself, then latter picks himself back up and fights big bad again latter but this time wins. yay! It is a tried and true plot (some could call it a trope, it is similar in some ways to the A Team tv Trope). Lucas even mentioned that he was heavily influenced by ancient stories, and this one that he wrote and created into a movie is woefully similar to thousands more out there.

This doesnt mean i like it any less. Im a HUGE Star Wars fan. I also enjoy Star Trek, Babylon 5, Agents of Shield, etc. Loving the Marvel movies, but yes i see issues in all these things. I have friends similar to OP here that nit picks at things. I am far more open minded on these things and can still enjoy something even though I might have wanted to make changes to it. (please note I have yet seen ep VIII, that will be this thursday). Everyone i have talked to including some of those same types of nit pickers have said they indeed did enjoy the movie, it wasnt 'Star Wars" as they are used to, but they still enjoyed it. I dont mind that, and i still look forward to seeing it this thursday.

If you are going to attack the EU im surprised you havent attacked Canon as well. But like FlyingArrow stated, I like what I like and you should let others do the same.
General_Grievous
Posted: Sunday, December 24, 2017 12:10:36 PM

FlyingArrow wrote:
Good point. If canon can be reset once it can be reset again.

Exactly makes me not want to bother with it and just stick with the old stuff.

Also huge +1 to Blem's post!
shmi15
Posted: Sunday, December 24, 2017 12:16:16 PM

Darth_Jim wrote:
shmi15 wrote:
I don't think everyone is obsessed, I actually think they are obsessed with hating it for no reason.

My question is this: Why are there people on both sides of this that insist that it is some all or nothing decision? Why do people think that there are two 'sides'? I came out of VIII conflicted. That doesn't mean I have to reject it outright and sign some stupid petition demanding that it be removed from canon. It also doesn't mean that I have to accept scenes like the Mary Poppins Leia scene is good writing or even makes sense just because there IS good writing in VIII. There are more than two sides to this; it is multifaceted.

I liked the movie; I didn't love it. It is similar to the way I felt about V. I ended up ranking V as the best Star Wars movie ever, yet as far as my favorites it is second behind VI. Why? Personal bias. Yeah, we all have it. And yes, there are some of us who don't want to let go of the past. I wanted more for and from Luke. For the record, I rank VIII as third all time behind V and R1. I liked it better than only the prequels, however.

I can appreciate the feelings of people who have put a lot of their Star Wars love into the EU. I also recognize that there is a lot of crap there. For me, Thrawn is one of my favorite characters. So is Talon Karrde. Mara Jade will always be Skywalkers wife. I also accept the ending in VIII. I accept and have particpated in all of the criticism of the prequels, but at the same time I think that the scene where Anakin tells Padme what happened with the sand people is one of the best scenes ever in Star Wars. I accept the duality, the chaos, that Star Wars is now. I accept everything. I am a fan of the Star Wars saga. All of it.

Criticizing what I don't like doesn't mean I totally reject its source. It doesn't mean I 'hate' anything, unless I expressly say 'hate'. (Ok, I hate the Mary Poppins scene.) This isn't all or nothing to me. Star Wars has been a part of my life for 40 years, since I was 17. I will continue to enjoy it, and simply ignore the parts I don't. No one has to agree with my point of view...in fact, I hope they don't. I want it all, Mary Poppins scene included, to be cherished and enjoyed by fans.

That's all. Merry Christmas to all of my fellow Star Wars fans.

I don't think I have ever stated that I hate the EU?! My goofy, bad writing, bad plot line jape was more of a joke because poeple use that as reasons why they hate Disney stuff... And I am hear to tell you, thats literally the entire Universe of Star Wars. Bad Writing and Poor plot lines! I also enjoy both sides. My entire point I guess is I feel most people dislike the movies, because, they read what they did as a kid, and that became SW reality to them, and anything else is not accepted. I get it, their are things I enjoyed in the EU also. It irks me when someone says, well Luke's not my Luke. To me, Luke would NEVER get married. He was Jedi, like his father before him. Luke wouldn't make that same mistake Vader did of allowing love to get in the way of his Religion. But Mara Jade happened in the EU, and, as maybe the only man on this boat, I am ecstatic that Disney went away with that. I am also happy the Skywalker bloodline isn't the Holy Grail of Star Wars. That was another huge issue I had with the EU. Lukes nephew becomes stronger, then his Nephews Nephew, then his Nephews/Nephews Son. I mean the list just goes on, and every one of them became more and more ridiculous than the last. The OT and the prequels were a Skywalker story, that does not mean STAR WARS is a Skywalker story.

I do hope they take some ideas from the EU, and I think they 100% are integrating some of its story into this new Canon Universe.

If I could have a Xmas wish list on what I wanted from the EU, it would be the original KOTOR game, The Valley of the Sith Lords, and all those Ancient Sith, Ajunta Pall, Freedon Nadd, Naga Sadow, I really really enjoyed all of those stories. I am happy they accepted Darth Bane, and even more happy they atleast credit him with the Rule of 2 again. If they would just keep his backstory similar, I would be happy.

Things I do not want to see, and I am happy they are being done away with. Bobba Fett post Sarlacc. I may be one the biggest Bobba Fett fans in the world, he was my first initial love in Star Wars, but a character deserves a death, and his death was appropriate.

Luke breeding Jedi. It just never made sense to me, that in order to rebuild the Order, Jedi had to get girls pregnant. Thats just not how Force Users are created. If it was... Why wouldn't the Dark Side Force Users just enslave woman and breed an army? That would seem more reasonable than searching the Galaxy for other Force Users?

Darth Krayt. I do love me some Darth Krayt, if the Ultrastar ever got on these boards, he would tell you that mini is what got me into SWM. I spent close to 200$, buying boxes of Minis trying to get that one piece! Yea, I know its cheaper just to buy the single piece, but I love opening boes, and the satisfaction of getting my piece and enjoying opening a box... Indescribable... But they ruined Krayt for me. Die, come back, Die, come back... Die and come back.

And ya know.... I never.. Ever got a Krayt the entire time I played Minis tabletop. Sad

I also feel like the EU made deaths just whatever, and if another writer decided they wanted to use a character who died, they either became powerful enough to come back alive, or they decided it was actually a clone of something, and the original character was still alive. How many times was Palps cloned in the EU? I mean.. the evil Luuke was just terrible. I do not want clones and Jesus like characters to become as common as a Skywalker with the Force again.

Thats it for now. Merry Christmas! Can't wait to continue these discussions in the future!
shmi15
Posted: Sunday, December 24, 2017 12:17:55 PM

General_Grievous wrote:
FlyingArrow wrote:

This does not make sense to me? Am I missing something in it?
shmi15
Posted: Sunday, December 24, 2017 12:29:19 PM

blemelisk wrote:
FlyingArrow wrote:
I'm happy to let people like whatever they like.

If you are going to attack the EU im surprised you havent attacked Canon as well. But like FlyingArrow stated, I like what I like and you should let others do the same.

Where have I attacked the EU? I think you guys read what I say... And then twist it to something you want it to be? Yes, I stated the EU has bad writing, and poor plot lines... I never said the Canon stuff is perfect? I can tell you which books to never touch in the Disney Universe. They absolutely have books that are garbage... And if you would like, I can restate all the things I dislike in the Disney movies, just so its here for you to read.

You guys really need to do your research on what I say, and not just pick one sentence and transcribe it to fit your motive. I enjoy things in the EU, I hate things in the EU. I enjoy things that are Canon, I hate things that are Canon.

Its just completely unfair to watch 2 movies, and say Disney is garbage. I assume, ( yes this is an assumption) that the majority of the EU fans have read more than 3 books? I would assume again, that the majority of the EU fans, have read over 10 books! I would almost bet, that most EU fans have put in more than 5 hours( Disney Movie combined runtime) of time into reading and learning about the EU. How do you even compare 5 hours of movie time against X amount of time put into reading a book?! We all agree books are better than movies, I would read just about any EU book instead of watching a SW movie ( except anything about those blasteded Vong) So comparing the 2 is like Apples and Oranges.
General_Grievous
Posted: Sunday, December 24, 2017 1:29:19 PM

shmi15 wrote:
General_Grievous wrote:
FlyingArrow wrote:

We were just saying that it's hard to care about new Disney EU outside of the movies when there is a fairly decent chance they will just wipe it again. That's my perspective at least. I invested time into playing dozens of games, reading over a hundred books and comic series and to have it all wiped out. It makes me not want to bother with new EU. I still like the movies, so far... but I'll keep my old EU in a special place of my heart haha
gandalfthegreatestwizard
Posted: Sunday, December 24, 2017 2:52:11 PM
Groups: Member , Moderator

shmi15 wrote:
Darth_Jim wrote:
shmi15 wrote:
I don't think everyone is obsessed, I actually think they are obsessed with hating it for no reason.

My question is this: Why are there people on both sides of this that insist that it is some all or nothing decision? Why do people think that there are two 'sides'? I came out of VIII conflicted. That doesn't mean I have to reject it outright and sign some stupid petition demanding that it be removed from canon. It also doesn't mean that I have to accept scenes like the Mary Poppins Leia scene is good writing or even makes sense just because there IS good writing in VIII. There are more than two sides to this; it is multifaceted.

I liked the movie; I didn't love it. It is similar to the way I felt about V. I ended up ranking V as the best Star Wars movie ever, yet as far as my favorites it is second behind VI. Why? Personal bias. Yeah, we all have it. And yes, there are some of us who don't want to let go of the past. I wanted more for and from Luke. For the record, I rank VIII as third all time behind V and R1. I liked it better than only the prequels, however.

I can appreciate the feelings of people who have put a lot of their Star Wars love into the EU. I also recognize that there is a lot of crap there. For me, Thrawn is one of my favorite characters. So is Talon Karrde. Mara Jade will always be Skywalkers wife. I also accept the ending in VIII. I accept and have particpated in all of the criticism of the prequels, but at the same time I think that the scene where Anakin tells Padme what happened with the sand people is one of the best scenes ever in Star Wars. I accept the duality, the chaos, that Star Wars is now. I accept everything. I am a fan of the Star Wars saga. All of it.

Criticizing what I don't like doesn't mean I totally reject its source. It doesn't mean I 'hate' anything, unless I expressly say 'hate'. (Ok, I hate the Mary Poppins scene.) This isn't all or nothing to me. Star Wars has been a part of my life for 40 years, since I was 17. I will continue to enjoy it, and simply ignore the parts I don't. No one has to agree with my point of view...in fact, I hope they don't. I want it all, Mary Poppins scene included, to be cherished and enjoyed by fans.

That's all. Merry Christmas to all of my fellow Star Wars fans.

I don't think I have ever stated that I hate the EU?! My goofy, bad writing, bad plot line jape was more of a joke because poeple use that as reasons why they hate Disney stuff... And I am hear to tell you, thats literally the entire Universe of Star Wars. Bad Writing and Poor plot lines! I also enjoy both sides. My entire point I guess is I feel most people dislike the movies, because, they read what they did as a kid, and that became SW reality to them, and anything else is not accepted. I get it, their are things I enjoyed in the EU also. It irks me when someone says, well Luke's not my Luke. To me, Luke would NEVER get married. He was Jedi, like his father before him. Luke wouldn't make that same mistake Vader did of allowing love to get in the way of his Religion. But Mara Jade happened in the EU, and, as maybe the only man on this boat, I am ecstatic that Disney went away with that. I am also happy the Skywalker bloodline isn't the Holy Grail of Star Wars. That was another huge issue I had with the EU. Lukes nephew becomes stronger, then his Nephews Nephew, then his Nephews/Nephews Son. I mean the list just goes on, and every one of them became more and more ridiculous than the last. The OT and the prequels were a Skywalker story, that does not mean STAR WARS is a Skywalker story.

I do hope they take some ideas from the EU, and I think they 100% are integrating some of its story into this new Canon Universe.

If I could have a Xmas wish list on what I wanted from the EU, it would be the original KOTOR game, The Valley of the Sith Lords, and all those Ancient Sith, Ajunta Pall, Freedon Nadd, Naga Sadow, I really really enjoyed all of those stories. I am happy they accepted Darth Bane, and even more happy they atleast credit him with the Rule of 2 again. If they would just keep his backstory similar, I would be happy.

Things I do not want to see, and I am happy they are being done away with. Bobba Fett post Sarlacc. I may be one the biggest Bobba Fett fans in the world, he was my first initial love in Star Wars, but a character deserves a death, and his death was appropriate.

Luke breeding Jedi. It just never made sense to me, that in order to rebuild the Order, Jedi had to get girls pregnant. Thats just not how Force Users are created. If it was... Why wouldn't the Dark Side Force Users just enslave woman and breed an army? That would seem more reasonable than searching the Galaxy for other Force Users?

Darth Krayt. I do love me some Darth Krayt, if the Ultrastar ever got on these boards, he would tell you that mini is what got me into SWM. I spent close to 200$, buying boxes of Minis trying to get that one piece! Yea, I know its cheaper just to buy the single piece, but I love opening boes, and the satisfaction of getting my piece and enjoying opening a box... Indescribable... But they ruined Krayt for me. Die, come back, Die, come back... Die and come back.

And ya know.... I never.. Ever got a Krayt the entire time I played Minis tabletop. Sad

I also feel like the EU made deaths just whatever, and if another writer decided they wanted to use a character who died, they either became powerful enough to come back alive, or they decided it was actually a clone of something, and the original character was still alive. How many times was Palps cloned in the EU? I mean.. the evil Luuke was just terrible. I do not want clones and Jesus like characters to become as common as a Skywalker with the Force again.

Thats it for now. Merry Christmas! Can't wait to continue these discussions in the future!

Luke wold never get married? You mean, the guy who thought he was in love with his own sister? Luke was not brought up in the tradition of 'no attachment' like the Jedi before him, though his masters may have mentioned it. He was very much attached; against Yoda's pleas, he went to save his friends on Bespin. To me, getting married is exactly the sort of thing that Luke is susceptible to.

Forgive me if I'm wrong, but I know of no reference in the EU to "Luke breeding Jedi." All he did was allow them to develop attachments as they wished, which was a brainer as he was already married. There was no mention of the reason for that being to create more potential Jedi.

Boba surviving the Sarlacc sort of makes sense to me. Where is he after falling into its maw? Being digested in its stomach. Would it be able to break through his armour? Probably not. Does he have a jetpack to get out? Yes.
jen'ari
Posted: Sunday, December 24, 2017 3:26:48 PM

I prefer to believe his jet pack was damaged by Han and he had to crawl his way out and his armor was damaged by Firestone juices an his helmet was all busted and he came out looking rough and pissed
shmi15
Posted: Sunday, December 24, 2017 3:43:26 PM

I guess the words "breeding Jedi" are broad. It seems to me the majority of the EU was based on a Legacy type thing, where someone always had parents who were Force Users, and it increased their "Power Level" if both parents were stronger in the Force. And if thats the case, why on Earth would Dark Side Force Users not just have tons of Children, to get stronger Force Users like the Jedi did?

You think Bobba Fett's armor could withstand being digested inside the Sarlac's stomach? Thats interesting. What would his armor be vulnerable to then if thats the case? And I could be wrong... But didn't Bobba get tossed into the Sarlac because Han smacked his Jet pack? Unless Bobba has an endless supply of fuel also stored away inside his armor, on top of it being indestructible, I don't see how he would get out? And, correct me again someone if I am wrong, but in the EU didn't Bobba survive the Pitt because he was regurgitated out of it? And then he did some small adventure with Han or someone because he had Anesthesia? And at the end he comes out of it, realizes who he is, and realizes he hates them?

And I guess the Luke debate could go on for days about what he would do after episode 6. My interpretation, is he was given the task of reviving the Jedi Order. Who were his Mentors during that? Force Spirit Yoda, and Force Spirit Ben Kenobi. Which one of them said Luke, go replenish the Galaxy with Force Users? Which one said, "Hey its ok for you to break this one rule, because you have feelings for someone." Jedi do not breed in the Galaxy, except in the EU. Thats honestly one thing that really irks me about it. There were no rules for the Jedi, they weren't really Jedi, they just Identified as one.

And I don't want the Eu to go away... Its what I read also after 6, and while 1/2/3 were coming out. I have read the Bane trilogy a half a dozen times probably, and I will continue to read it until something new takes its place as my favorite storyline ever.

shmi15
Posted: Sunday, December 24, 2017 3:47:36 PM

General_Grievous wrote:
shmi15 wrote:
General_Grievous wrote:
FlyingArrow wrote:

We were just saying that it's hard to care about new Disney EU outside of the movies when there is a fairly decent chance they will just wipe it again. That's my perspective at least. I invested time into playing dozens of games, reading over a hundred books and comic series and to have it all wiped out. It makes me not want to bother with new EU. I still like the movies, so far... but I'll keep my old EU in a special place of my heart haha

Was the Eu ever "official Canon"? To my knowledge the books were just more "accepted" by the majority. And some people hated some storylines, and refused to acknowledge them, while Other people hated different ones, and refused to acknowledge them? I could be completely wrong in that, and if I am I would love to be told I am wrong.

What benefit would Disney have in wiping the Star Wars Universe? Just curious why you are worried about it being reset. I've never had that feeling, but maybe I am missing something in it?
blemelisk
Posted: Sunday, December 24, 2017 4:15:36 PM

shmi15 wrote:
General_Grievous wrote:
shmi15 wrote:
General_Grievous wrote:
FlyingArrow wrote:

Was the Eu ever "official Canon"? To my knowledge the books were just more "accepted" by the majority. And some people hated some storylines, and refused to acknowledge them, while Other people hated different ones, and refused to acknowledge them? I could be completely wrong in that, and if I am I would love to be told I am wrong.

What benefit would Disney have in wiping the Star Wars Universe? Just curious why you are worried about it being reset. I've never had that feeling, but maybe I am missing something in it?

I would doubt they would reset the entire thing. The original movies were and are way too popular to be reset. They could...possibly, get away with redoing 1-3.
jen'ari
Posted: Sunday, December 24, 2017 4:33:41 PM

What is set now will stay set. Rebels plays off of clone wars, Cline wars plays off the prequels. Etc. Too much work.
Besides they already dropped the old school clone wars once.... Good by epic scenes, and made the Jedi even weaker on clone wars...

My favorite clone wars mini plot is barris framing ahsoka.
gandalfthegreatestwizard
Posted: Sunday, December 24, 2017 4:48:15 PM

shmi15 wrote:
I guess the words "breeding Jedi" are broad. It seems to me the majority of the EU was based on a Legacy type thing, where someone always had parents who were Force Users, and it increased their "Power Level" if both parents were stronger in the Force. And if thats the case, why on Earth would Dark Side Force Users not just have tons of Children, to get stronger Force Users like the Jedi did?

You think Bobba Fett's armor could withstand being digested inside the Sarlac's stomach? Thats interesting. What would his armor be vulnerable to then if thats the case? And I could be wrong... But didn't Bobba get tossed into the Sarlac because Han smacked his Jet pack? Unless Bobba has an endless supply of fuel also stored away inside his armor, on top of it being indestructible, I don't see how he would get out? And, correct me again someone if I am wrong, but in the EU didn't Bobba survive the Pitt because he was regurgitated out of it? And then he did some small adventure with Han or someone because he had Anesthesia? And at the end he comes out of it, realizes who he is, and realizes he hates them?

And I guess the Luke debate could go on for days about what he would do after episode 6. My interpretation, is he was given the task of reviving the Jedi Order. Who were his Mentors during that? Force Spirit Yoda, and Force Spirit Ben Kenobi. Which one of them said Luke, go replenish the Galaxy with Force Users? Which one said, "Hey its ok for you to break this one rule, because you have feelings for someone." Jedi do not breed in the Galaxy, except in the EU. Thats honestly one thing that really irks me about it. There were no rules for the Jedi, they weren't really Jedi, they just Identified as one.

And I don't want the Eu to go away... Its what I read also after 6, and while 1/2/3 were coming out. I have read the Bane trilogy a half a dozen times probably, and I will continue to read it until something new takes its place as my favorite storyline ever.

Dark Siders do have children in the EU. It happens a lot in KotOR afaik, and post-movies the Lost Tribe of the Sith, among other groups, had children. However, the 'Legacy' thing is not always the rule in the EU.

What I said about Fett merely indicated that I don't think it's unlikely that he escaped, and his escape was a good move in the EU because it preserved an interesting, well-loved character.

As for Luke, the Force ghosts were not really his mentors, at least in the EU. They sometimes provided guidance, but over time they faded into the Force (which makes sense, otherwise the Galaxy would be full of old Force spirits). The New Jedi Order was not to be the same as the old one, mostly because few remembered what the old one was like, but also because the old way had not exactly ended well. And Jedi do 'breed' outside the EU. Anakin wasn't exactly the ideal Jedi- but neither was Luke. Both became Jedi later than the norm, as I have stated, and so they were different. It is not unlikely that the difference would extend to Luke, who was not raised in the Order, creating a slightly different successor to the Jedi Order.
EmporerDragon
Posted: Sunday, December 24, 2017 11:03:27 PM

Quote:

Yes and no. With the Legends EU, there were tiers of canon, with the higher tiers being able to override the lower ones.

Basically, it went:
Movies
TV Shows
Books & Games
Supplemental Materials (RPG sourcebooks, illustrated cross-schematics, etc).

Though, there really weren't many problems overall with continuity until the Clone Wars cartoon came along and started doing things like killing people off who were alive in the books or the other way around. I think the biggest inconsistency at that point was Boba Fett's origin story, which had the in-universe explanations of Fett encouraging the different rumors to both protect his true story and to add to the aura of his legend plus impersonators like Jodo Kast running around.

As for the main topic, I think one of the bigger reasons why there is such a divide and reluctance to accept the new EU is because the old EU never got a sense of closure. When you look at companies like Marvel and DC, when they do a reboot, it's always a big event, giving us things like Crisis on Infinite Earth, Secret Wars, or Convergence, allowing things to end with a bang or passing of the torch. With Star Wars, it just ground to a complete stop and was chucked in the bin.
And then there's the fact that they could've had two separate universes running at the same time, which is done all the time in comics, a great example being how Marvel had the main 616 universe and the Ultimate universe lines going at the same time. Star Wars could've done that too: Take the old EU, title it "Legends" and allow those stories to continue, but create the new EU, and give it the title of "Destinies" or something like that. This would also allow other timelines to branch out and create their own mini universes. Imagine a series of novels based off of the initial drafts, or a what if comic series where Anakin stayed on the light and the Republic that never fell has to fight the Vong? Though, I think the biggest argument against that is because the execs think people are idiots and are easily confused, much like how Anakin Solo was killed off so people wouldn't mix him up with Anakin Skywalker.

In any case, I keep to the headcanon that all of this is Jacen Solo's fault. His force spirit tried to flow-walk back in time to change things, like preventing the Yuuzhan Vong war or such, but wound up creating a granddaddy of a butterfly effect, leaving us with the new EU.
FlyingArrow
Posted: Monday, December 25, 2017 2:33:04 AM

EmporerDragon wrote:
In any case, I keep to the headcanon that all of this is Jacen Solo's fault. His force spirit tried to flow-walk back in time to change things, like preventing the Yuuzhan Vong war or such, but wound up creating a granddaddy of a butterfly effect, leaving us with the new EU.

This could still happen. And would win so much goodwill if they did it.
shmi15
Posted: Tuesday, December 26, 2017 7:04:59 AM

FlyingArrow wrote:
EmporerDragon wrote:

This could still happen. And would win so much goodwill if they did it.

This is actually a pretty cool idea. I would be behind that 100%. I'm not a huge fan of multi Universes in a realm. I am a fan of DC/Marvel comics, but the one thing I dislike is the multi universe storylines. I do like reading the "off shoot" stories. But to me, the natural story IS the story, and the rest are just their to grab more money from people who want to see different things

So to clarify, I would totally be on board for the whole Jacen Solo Flow Walking and preventing the EU from happening. That would leave the EU right where it is, which I have zero problem with, and it means there is nothing else to write within it, so it doesn't matter that the storylines are different. Its all Jacens fault!

Thank you ED for this great nugget of knowledge
trappedslider
Posted: Tuesday, December 26, 2017 10:40:49 AM

I think I may be burned at the stake for this but...I'm actually enjoying episodes 7 and 8. After finishing the Fate of the Jedi story line I just got tired of SW it was like "What's this weeks galactic threat?" I honestly felt like everything that happened in the books was basically pointless due to the comics timeline.

With the new canon system in place,it feels tighter and more streamlined, along with an touch of uncertainty,since you don't know how the verse is going to end up.
shmi15
Posted: Tuesday, December 26, 2017 11:19:20 AM

trappedslider wrote:
I think I may be burned at the stake for this but...I'm actually enjoying episodes 7 and 8. After finishing the Fate of the Jedi story line I just got tired of SW it was like "What's this weeks galactic threat?" I honestly felt like everything that happened in the books was basically pointless due to the comics timeline.

With the new canon system in place,it feels tighter and more streamlined, along with an touch of uncertainty,since you don't know how the verse is going to end up.

Complete opposite! I am on board with you about this, almost to the T. And there are a few others who see it the same way. I was just more curious why people refuse the Disney Universe, but claim the books and EU to be the greatest thing the world has ever seen! ( Extreme over exaggeration)
gandalfthegreatestwizard
Posted: Tuesday, December 26, 2017 1:43:55 PM

shmi15 wrote:
trappedslider wrote:

Complete opposite! I am on board with you about this, almost to the T. And there are a few others who see it the same way. I was just more curious why people refuse the Disney Universe, but claim the books and EU to be the greatest thing the world has ever seen! ( Extreme over exaggeration)

I still don't see how you're having a problem with this. Is it totally beyond your comprehension that people like something that you don't, or dislike something you're in love with?

How you phrased your comment (quoted in bold) seems to me like you think and are implying that it is somehow contradictory, or hypocritical, or nonsensical, that people can like the EU and dislike the DU (Disney Universe) at the same time. Personally, I don't see how it is any of those.
lifelike
Posted: Thursday, January 4, 2018 4:06:05 AM

I am currently reading the old Marvel comics. The ones compiled in the Star Wars Omnibus A Long Time Ago collections (5 of them). 107 issues approximately. I had read a few of them as a kid. Originally published ca 1979-1983 or something like that (a few years later in this part of the world).

Really enjoy most of them. It is Star Wars as when I was a kid. Totally EU, totally non-canon. Even EU-fans that swear that Disney killed their EU seem to totally ignore those old stories for some reason. Maybe now that all the old non-canon stuff is equally non-canon they can get some more attention instead of being considered lowered tier non-canon/EU?

In one story I read yesterday the heroes go to planet Mandalore to look for a friend of Boba Fett. The background story told there about how Boba Fett was the leader of Mandalorian super commandos that helped the Jedi fight clones in the clone wars is no worse really than any later EU/canon version of that story and the Mandalorian freedom fighters fighting imperial-backed slavers on their planet is a nice sub-plot.

I have seriously started writing a list of ideas for custom swm cards based on characters from those comics. Can not find any? Jabba as a small humanoid is a given, and all the Tagge family members (in a perfect world the mentions of arms-dealers in TLA was a set up to have the Tagge company show up in the next movie... but it will never happen).

Like some of the other EU as well, in particular Thrawn. But I can accept that it never was canon and that any new movies (with or without Disney) would ignore it anyway, so I never bothered to dig very deep. It did not feel real. But that does not mean I have not picked up some Legends stuff. I read Dark Empire only last month. It even had some things that reminded me of TLA, perhaps not by coincidence?