RegisterDonateLogin

Will find you, crush you, grind you into little pieces, then blast you into oblivion.

Welcome Guest Active Topics | Members

Explain the obsession with the EU to me Options
Lord_Ball
Posted: Thursday, January 4, 2018 3:57:28 PM
Groups: Member

jen'ari wrote:
Invalid?
Do you expect him to not introduce anyone?

No, but I'm not the one saying there was too much for him to deal with... and that is the only reason it's invalid.
jen'ari
Posted: Thursday, January 4, 2018 4:13:30 PM

Lord_Ball wrote:
jen'ari wrote:
Invalid?
Do you expect him to not introduce anyone?

No, but I'm not the one saying there was too much for him to deal with... and that is the only reason it's invalid.

That makes zero sense at all.
He added two characters that did not die.

1 of them is it if there picture (dj)

1 is unconscious.

There was so much to deal with, I had a whole post explaining it. You just refused to read it or discuss it.
Lord_Ball
Posted: Thursday, January 4, 2018 4:28:01 PM

jen'ari wrote:

There was so much to deal with, I had a whole post explaining it. You just refused to read it or discuss it.

I did read it, but you seemed to missed my point and took it more personally than intended. You said he had too many characters to deal with, which may be true (I personally disagree, as Poe didn't have a whole lot of screen time, but was developed rather well). By adding new semi-important characters, he compounds that problem. And there in lies the conundrum leading to my invalid claim.

According to Rian he sees Phasma as a joke character like South Parks Kenny, which to me is really sad for the actress.

No arguments on Snoke Laugh
jen'ari
Posted: Thursday, January 4, 2018 5:13:05 PM

My point is that for the trilogy to go anywhere something has to be done with the massive amounts of fan service required for all the new characters Abrams introduced.
People had to die in the second because it leaves them nowhere to go in the third unless they are already gone.

Didn't Abrams start that tend already with phasma?
She sucks as a trooper because she committed treason already. It too a while five seconds to persuade her to give up vital information.....
He already made her pathetic. I am glad she was killed off without any development.

The fact that you have refused to debate is that Abrams left Johnson with little options if the third movie was going to go somewhere.

No one wanted to see kylo bend to snoke's will, no one wanted to see Rey as a second fiddle either.
So I say thank you Johnson for limiting the crap and getting the focus on the main characters again.
He introduced 3 new characters, all of which should have limited time in last movie.
He killed 3 characters 2 of which (Luke and Snoke) that would have required lots of screen time.

Lord_Ball
Posted: Thursday, January 4, 2018 5:29:09 PM

Again Poe didn't have near as much screen time as Rose or Finn, but was so much more well developed. I'm not saying he had to do something with everyone, just that if he didn't want to or know what to do, he didn't have to kill them either.

As for Phasma, Johnson could have left her on Starkiller Base to die, but maybe her contract said otherwise. She is a terrible character now, but she had so much potential... Seriously though rewatch TFA with the thought of her being Finn's mother (protecting him).
shmi15
Posted: Thursday, January 4, 2018 5:47:19 PM

Lord_Ball wrote:
Again Poe didn't have near as much screen time as Rose or Finn, but was so much more well developed. I'm not saying he had to do something with everyone, just that if he didn't want to or know what to do, he didn't have to kill them either.

As for Phasma, Johnson could have left her on Starkiller Base to die, but maybe her contract said otherwise. She is a terrible character now, but she had so much potential... Seriously though rewatch TFA with the thought of her being Finn's mother (protecting him).

With the absolute most respect to all races of human life. It is physically impossible for a Pure White woman, to produce a child that dark, regardless of the skin color of the father. They would be mixed. It doesn't make any sense what so ever for Phasma to be Finns mother.

It seems to me people just want a family connection in it somehow?

Finn and Phasma!

Rey is a Skywalker!

Rey is a Kenobi!

Rey is a Jin!

Rey is realted to someone in the movie!

Poe and Rey are twins!

I mean Jesus. Just because no one is related is no reason to be angry about a character. Phasma served about as much purpose as some one like Bobba Fett did. Really cool looking. Terrible in every other way.

ANNNDDDD, if you read the PHASMA book, spoiler BELOW!!! Someone has to do it.

SPOILER IS RIGHT HERE

You would realize her entire life was based on doing whatever it was to benefit her in any situation. So she was TRUE TO HER CHARACTER in TFA by just giving up information. It didn't hurt her in the grand scheme of things, and her entire back story is based on that. Doing what suits her best in any situation. I actually thought she was going to turn on the First Order this movie, just based on her character in the Novel. She was built up to be someone who would align with WHOEVER, and make decisions tht would help her in whatever situation. She had ZERO loyalties to the First Order, and Crimson ( her nemesis in the book) was going to expose that before he was beaten by her.

She actully killed General Hux's father, so that this new puny Hux could take over. By the way, Gen Hux in all the books, is considered a Whiny baby who tries to hard to live up to his fathers name. So again, Hux's screen time falls exactly in line with his written character.

Lord_Ball
Posted: Thursday, January 4, 2018 5:57:08 PM

First off its Star Wars not human science... There's even sound in space! So skin color is completely arbitrary. Second it's not a desire for the family connection, it's that the interactions within TFA, make her character actions so much more realistic. Just try it and you will see (provided you ignore the book).

And it was Cardinal not Crimson.
jen'ari
Posted: Thursday, January 4, 2018 6:03:27 PM

Lord_Ball wrote:

He did have to kill them.

Her contract definitely said otherwise.
She will always be a terrible character, she never had any potential as a character in these films. She is a great character for cartoons, novels, etc. But not for movies.

If she was Finn's mother it would be very very lame. We do not need any more mothers and sons and brothers and cousins. It is old in the SW verse. She was not convincing in TFA and she stayed not convincing in TLJ
Lets move in a new direction with some fresh ideas (thank you Johnson)

My ONLY regret about the movie is that Finn woke up....
He could have stayed under longer and woke up on Crait and than drove the ski-plane into the siege weapon and died.
Lord_Ball
Posted: Thursday, January 4, 2018 6:16:47 PM

jen'ari wrote:

She will always be a terrible character, she never had any potential as a character in these films. She is a great character for cartoons, novels, etc. But not for movies.

If she was Finn's mother it would be very very lame. We do not need any more mothers and sons and brothers and cousins. It is old in the SW verse. She was not convincing in TFA and she stayed not convincing in TLJ

He could have stayed under longer and woke up on Crait and than drove the ski-plane into the siege weapon and died.

You seem angry...

When she's used somewhat heavily in the promotion material she absolutely had potential. Unfortunately that potential was wasted, just as JJ told John Boyega he's the next Han Solo... sometimes they screw things up so bad... One of the ways that could have redeemed Phasma was a family connection, after all treason for family is much better than treason for selfish reasons is it not? That's kinda my point when it comes to her.
shmi15
Posted: Thursday, January 4, 2018 6:19:10 PM

Lord_Ball wrote:
First off its Star Wars not human science... There's even sound in space! So skin color is completely arbitrary. Second it's not a desire for the family connection, it's that the interactions within TFA, make her character actions so much more realistic. Just try it and you will see (provided you ignore the book).

And it was Cardinal not Crimson.

Your right about the name, I butchered it :( Thank you for correcting me.

And... Call me crazy, but when I seen Brienne of Tarth as Phasma, the absolute LAST thing on my mind is, I bet that really dark skinned character is her son.... I mean, thats about as far of a stretch as anyone could possibly assume, lol.

And I can't ignore the book... Its part of DU Lore, so it is what it is. I'm not in love with the Phasma book, but I do understand the character more by reading it. And her actions in the movie reflect her character in the book. Your searching for deeper meaning in everything, pulling on strings that are not there, are whats setting you up for disappointment. Read, and more things in the movies make sense. Or, stick to the EU, and stick to playing SWM the rest of your life, because the next wave of SW tabletop will be the DU, and I could not be more excited about No Bloo Milk
Lord_Ball
Posted: Thursday, January 4, 2018 6:30:48 PM

Yeah, well you never see her face in TFA and Sebastian Shaw wasn't the one walking around in the Vader suit, so until the book and TLJ skin color really didn't mean a thing and as I said her being somewhat heavily promoted kind of leads you to the notion of expecting more from a character. So maybe I set myself up to be let down, but disney's marketing team helped with that.
jen'ari
Posted: Thursday, January 4, 2018 6:39:02 PM

Lord_Ball wrote:
jen'ari wrote:

You seem angry...

When she's used somewhat heavily in the promotion material she absolutely had potential. Unfortunately that potential was wasted, just as JJ told John Boyega he's the next Han Solo... sometimes they screw things up so bad... One of the ways that could have redeemed Phasma was a family connection, after all treason for family is much better than treason for selfish reasons is it not? That's kinda my point when it comes to her.

It is kind of annoying to write up all this stuff and it all be simply ignored. I mean, You have yet to answer to anything.

Sorry to say it Phasma was a waste. there was NO time for her. Until you understand how great movies work you will not see it. I tried to help you see that while Abrams tried to copy A New Hope, he failed because he brought in too many characters that needed screen time.

Phasma and Finn were given the garbage treatment in both FA and TFA, they were terrible. If JJ told John Boyega that Finn would be the next Han Solo he could have started by making him worth something.
shmi15
Posted: Thursday, January 4, 2018 6:51:20 PM

Lord_Ball wrote:
Yeah, well you never see her face in TFA and Sebastian Shaw wasn't the one walking around in the Vader suit, so until the book and TLJ skin color really didn't mean a thing and as I said her being somewhat heavily promoted kind of leads you to the notion of expecting more from a character. So maybe I set myself up to be let down, but disney's marketing team helped with that.

This I agree with 100%. I think the Disney marketing team is SUPER intelligent on what people are interested in, and play us all for fools on somethings. Me included.

I think the marketing for it is out of control. I don't watch trailers for anything (started with Game Of Thrones) and now I do it for movies I am interested in watching, because I find they ruin movies. But I couldn't watch a commercial on almost any station, and Star Wars is thrown in my face. Cars, toilet paper, legos, everything, I had to shut my tv off so many times it was getting to the point I coudn't watch normal TV. And to beat it all! 3 days before the movie, I was looking something up on ESPN, and BAM! a 10 second video jumped across the page and I saw a scene :(

I hate the marketing for it, and I wish it would just chill out, and not be thrown in my face everywhere I look.
Lord_Ball
Posted: Thursday, January 4, 2018 7:24:29 PM

jen'ari wrote:

It is kind of annoying to write up all this stuff and it all be simply ignored. I mean, You have yet to answer to anything.

Sorry to say it Phasma was a waste. there was NO time for her. Until you understand how great movies work you will not see it. I tried to help you see that while Abrams tried to copy A New Hope, he failed because he brought in too many characters that needed screen time.

Phasma and Finn were given the garbage treatment in both FA and TFA, they were terrible. If JJ told John Boyega that Finn would be the next Han Solo he could have started by making him worth something.

Not sure what I need to answer to, you are voicing your opinion, you are entitled to that. I have voiced mine.

Phasma didn't have to be a waste of a character, but now she is, again that is sad for the actress. Basically the same could be said for all the "garbage" characters, which leads to my dislike of the DU so far, so much wasted potential, or perhaps I should rephrase that for you to so many jarjar-esque characters.
jen'ari
Posted: Thursday, January 4, 2018 8:43:40 PM

Lord_Ball wrote:

Not sure what I need to answer to, you are voicing your opinion, you are entitled to that. I have voiced mine.

typically in a conversation you try to answer others questions for starters.

Secondly, if you make a point and the other participant in the conversation makes a rebuttal you typically say something about the rebuttal.
"well no, that doesn't make sense because...."
or
"I can see your point, but do not agree"

but ignoring them is not a conversation, and if you are inclined to not actually want to discuss it that is fine to. I would like to know not to expect answers or rebuttals back though so I am not just left "hanging" so to speak.
Lord_Ball
Posted: Friday, January 5, 2018 6:01:24 AM

I pretty much did that.

You have said there were too many characters to get developed, within the confines of screen time. I disagreed suggesting that 1) not all of them had to be developed within either film so far. 2) Poe had limited time and developed rather well.

To which your response was they were garbage and needed to get thrown out...

Really there isn't much to respond to there, as that is your opinion, and they are only garbage because the writing/directing made them that way.... Kinda sounds like prequel scripting complaints to me there....

In the end if Disney is going to contractually obligate people to a number of films (Finn for sure), they should do a better job to make them interesting.
shmi15
Posted: Friday, January 5, 2018 7:51:17 AM

Lord_Ball wrote:
I pretty much did that.

You have said there were too many characters to get developed, within the confines of screen time. I disagreed suggesting that 1) not all of them had to be developed within either film so far. 2) Poe had limited time and developed rather well.

Really there isn't much to respond to there, as that is your opinion, and they are only garbage because the writing/directing made them that way.... Kinda sounds like prequel scripting complaints to me there....

In the end if Disney is going to contractually obligate people to a number of films (Finn for sure), they should do a better job to make them interesting.

I'm interested in Finn.... I think he is going to be pivotal in the next movie. I honestly think they are grooming him, Poe and Rey as the leaders of the Resistance, kinda a counter to the First Order Triumvirate.

I also, still think Poe will be Force Sensitive before its all said and done Flapper

Kylo to me was the best developed character. I was not impressed with him in TFA. But, after watching his character more in TLJ, he developed into a true villain. Something Snoke, was never intended on being.

It does make me wonder if he was the great calamity awaiting everyone in the Uknown Regions.. Or, maybe there is something else coming for 9? Please Please Pleasse don't let it be the Vong ThumbDown
jen'ari
Posted: Monday, January 8, 2018 8:09:12 AM

Sorry, did not see that you responded until now.

Lord_Ball wrote:
I pretty much did that.

well here is why I think you did not.

I asked what to do with Finn, Phasma, Snoke, and Luke. You made the statement that he didn't develop them....
well he killed them. And it does not answer any of the questions.

Lord_Ball wrote:

well the ones that are not developed you are complaining about... What if Phasma were not in the movie at all? or Finn stayed asleep for most of the movie? that would have been a complaint. The fact that there was too much to work with was never addressed. There is too much to work with, that is true, evident by every movie that tries to fit in too much stuff and comes out a mess. (I used Avengers as my example).
Poe was developed pretty well because a lot of the movie was about Poe... Kylo and Rey where developed pretty well as well as Luke. Those 4, imo, are who the movie are about.
Lord_Ball wrote:

Phasma and Finn for sure needed to go, they are useless to the story. Like I said before, Finn should have stayed asleep, woke up when they were going to Crait and sacrificed himself and died. That would have been it. FInn's legacy being helping Rey find the Resistance and helping blow up Starkiller Base. But even in Force Awakens he played second fiddle, he never felt important. I guarantee you Rian feels the same way. Hence why he had a "semi-meaningless" part. In this film he played second fiddle to ROSE! So yes, he is garbage, your response to that is......?

Lord_Ball wrote:

I am saying they are garbage because they serve no purpose (in either film) and they are garbage because they require screen time. Something you have not tried to address either.
Lord_Ball wrote:

I agree, but maybe Rian taught them a lesson.

There are other questions I asked along the way. but if your thoughts are "it is your opinion and I have mine" than so be it. But lets not pretend that you have tried to address the points I brought up.

The main one being
DO you think he could have successfully developed those characters? and Do you think that the next movie is better off with a lot of those characters out of the picture?