RegisterDonateLogin

Quench the thirst you didn't even know you had.

Welcome Guest Active Topics | Members

CCC Week 90 - BUDGET SPACESHIP! Options
General_Grievous
Posted: Monday, January 29, 2018 8:06:03 AM
Groups: Member

Alright those of you that know me know that I'm a huge fan of huges. And as weird thematically as it is to have Snowspeeders flying around the Jedi Temple, I love to have the large pieces duke it out on the tabletop. It looks awesome on a battlefield to have massive intricate huges filling the landscape and you know you're making the sounds of rapid stuttering blaster fire in your head as they exchange fire.

A problem I have is that its often hard to recreate this setting. Huges are always so costly, whether WOTC or VSETs they have always been large chunks of your squad. And with so many counters to the large behemoths it makes it hard to invest the points into having a piece that normally gets stuck/blocked in a corridor somewhere.

So how do we fix this? How can we include huges in our squads as a cheaper more mobile flanking support piece? One needs to only look at the majestic Snowspeeder to see one of the best examples of how a "spaceship" was made to fit the game and actually be relatively playable, and at an affordable price.

So this weeks challenge is to break the mold, or go back to the mold (in reference to the Snowspeeder) and create a spaceship/atmospheric aerial craft/thing in the sky (look it has to have Flight ok?) that costs <40 points. Go to town and make the skies rain down fire and destruction on the foolish planet-walkers.

1. You may update any existing versions you already have and/or create a new one. You may update/create several versions of the character but you must ultimately select 1 you wish to run with. (this must be done by the schedule below)

2. Place a hyperlink in this forum to make it easier to find your character. You can just post the stats or image here but if changes are needed it would be easier (and save space) if you just used a Hyperlink (If you don't know how to post Hyperlinks in a forum setting please ask and we will help you. It's not hard )

3. Voting works as follows, pick your three favorite customs based on accuracy to the character, design, balance or whatever you decide makes the best incarnation of the challenge character. First place receives 3 points, 2nd place receives 2 points, and 3rd place receives 1 point.

4. You do not have to enter the contest in order to vote. But unless you enter you must have at lest 10 forum posts.

5. To make things fair you must vote in order to win the contest. You must choose three characters entered in the contest and you may not rate or vote for your own character.

6. The winner will be decided by how many points they receive. Ties will be broken by most 1st place votes, then if still tied, 2nd place votes and then 3rd place votes. If still tied, then the outcome is a tie.

7. You may not change or update the entered character AFTER the deadline.

You will have until Sat, Feb 3rd, 2018 @8pm EST to get your submissions in. Anything submitted after this point will not be included in the voting.

Voting will start at 8pm on Saturday evening and end at 11pm EST on Monday, Feb 5th, 2018..
At the conclusion of the voting the scores will be tallied and the winner will start a new topic with their choice of theme.
Lord_Ball
Posted: Monday, January 29, 2018 8:43:11 AM

Dang Flight requirement...

Ooh I got an idea.

Pod Racer
surf_rider56
Posted: Monday, January 29, 2018 9:31:23 AM

Leviathan sized .... hmmmm. Back in the WOTC Forum days (Koba and GG are the only ones around that I still remember from those day) we used to talk about 3D landscapes, and what vehicles we could actually use. Now lets be honest; I've seen pics/artists reditions etc that make a Falcon look like its half the size of a standard gaming map. That's unrealistic, but an old friend and I used to put 4-8 maps together and use plastic models of things as actual ships .... and yes, I made cards for those ships ....

Examples

Most of these are Transports of various types; so my real question is, do you want a Transport or a "Fighter" type aircraft (Which means we'll see a dozen variations of B/X/Y and Tie fighters .....
shmi15
Posted: Monday, January 29, 2018 10:45:10 AM

So can I do an X-Wing? Tie Fighter? Or something like a Snowspeeder, that doesn't actually fly from planet to planet? Like that thing in the Battle of Crait in TLJ?
General_Grievous
Posted: Monday, January 29, 2018 10:50:49 AM

Only requirements huge size, Flight, Cost <40. Anything else is fine, transport, pod-racer, fighter. And regarding size if you want to go bigger you can surf but gameplay wise a lot if not all of the Huges were shrunk down to make them playable on a 3x3 base. So either way is fine by me. Cool pictures though and woot the old WOTC forum days. Secret 61st mini anyone? Haha
gandalfthegreatestwizard
Posted: Monday, January 29, 2018 1:11:13 PM
Groups: Member , Moderator

Jedi Knight in StealthX Starfighter

Here's mine. As I'm still new to custom creation, I'm not entirely sure that it's balanced, so feedback is appreciated. Also, I was hesitant in making a starfighter, as WOTC and the V-Sets have not, but the StealthX is smaller than your average starfighter so I think it fits Huge at a stretch (or rather, a compression LOL).
surf_rider56
Posted: Monday, January 29, 2018 1:27:57 PM

Back in the WOTC days, My friends and I tried 3D maps & games. My smuggler's ship was Destiny's Call; the astute of you may notice it's a Revell Maquis Fighter without the wings extended. It's Almost close enough in size that you Could use it (sorta.) The Revell Enterprise's Shuttle was often used as a drop ship for troops (think I have three or four somewhere in the garage. I always liked this one.

But honestly, I also liked this one

Cloud City Security Pod-Car I think it would've gone nicely on the Bespin map.

Not sure which .... decision by Friday.

Cheers,

surf
AlexTheGreat
Posted: Monday, January 29, 2018 2:37:00 PM

First time I make a huge piece with flight. Let's see...

http://www.bloomilk.com/Custom/30706/lukes-x-wing
jen'ari
Posted: Monday, January 29, 2018 3:22:52 PM

shmi15
Posted: Monday, January 29, 2018 4:17:35 PM

Ok, here is mine as of now. I would like to use either Hover or Air Assault, just what input on wording and which would be better. If its ends up being Hover, I could drop Flight as well and just use Hover as its ability. They do have to be Huge's correct?

http://www.bloomilk.com/Custom/30709/black-one
blemelisk
Posted: Monday, January 29, 2018 4:22:47 PM

surf_rider56 wrote:
Leviathan sized .... hmmmm. Back in the WOTC Forum days (Koba and GG are the only ones around that I still remember from those day) we used to talk about 3D landscapes, and what vehicles we could actually use. Now lets be honest; I've seen pics/artists reditions etc that make a Falcon look like its half the size of a standard gaming map. That's unrealistic, but an old friend and I used to put 4-8 maps together and use plastic models of things as actual ships .... and yes, I made cards for those ships ....

Examples

Most of these are Transports of various types; so my real question is, do you want a Transport or a "Fighter" type aircraft (Which means we'll see a dozen variations of B/X/Y and Tie fighters .....

I used to do this on 40k terrain, hoping to do it again soon. Those are some nice ST models btw!

Im all over this weeks CCC. I havent been participating much cause ive been a bit under the weather. But im all over t his one!
swinefeld
Posted: Monday, January 29, 2018 6:20:48 PM

Great topic, but I had zero prior ideas stored away, so I'm just gonna start with some silly fun and see where it goes. Wink

http://www.bloomilk.com/Custom/30710/dactillion-mount-from-hell
CorranHornsux123
Posted: Monday, January 29, 2018 6:42:09 PM

General_Grievous
Posted: Monday, January 29, 2018 6:54:59 PM

Both really good options Surf, excellent job here. I'm a little more partial to the Cloud Car but the Destiny's call is also pretty darn awesome.
swinefeld
Posted: Monday, January 29, 2018 7:28:22 PM

@surf, I like both. I'm kinda conflicted. Cool stuff. BlooMilk
shmi15
Posted: Tuesday, January 30, 2018 5:26:29 AM

Alright, so in comparison, Lukes Snowspeeder has

90HP
20D
12Attack
20 damage

My guy has

100HP
18D
10Attack
20 damage

So I have 10 more HP, but 2 less defense, and 2 less attack.

We both have Unique,Damage Reduction 10,Twin, and Flight

He has Speed 16, Mounted Weapon, Mobile Attack, and Harpoon gun ( He also has a Force Rating and 4 starting Force Points)

I have Pilot, Air Approach, Speed 10 and Targeting.

For 6 points less (My guy) I would say it is VERY comparable to Lukes Snowspeeder. I think it could actually be a bit cheaper?Considering we both have 8 SA, his base stats are better and he has a Force rating with 4FP
Lord_Ball
Posted: Tuesday, January 30, 2018 5:51:26 AM

Surf just curious was the lack of Mounted Weapon intentional or an oversight? Also Destiny's Call does not have Rigid, was that intentional?
shmi15
Posted: Tuesday, January 30, 2018 7:00:48 AM

Lord_Ball wrote:
Surf just curious was the lack of Mounted Weapon intentional or an oversight? Also Destiny's Call does not have Rigid, was that intentional?

Is Destiny's Call a EU Ship?
surf_rider56
Posted: Tuesday, January 30, 2018 7:13:49 AM

Lord_Ball wrote:

It's a spaceship. Never ment to have Mounted Weapon and I seriously doubt Rigid would be part of the Falcon's description; if you're Not rigid you couldn't be in vacuum.

shmi15 wrote:
Is Destiny's Call a EU Ship?

Nope, it was "My" smuggler's ship back in the day, 10-15 years ago when we did 3D games.
Lord_Ball
Posted: Tuesday, January 30, 2018 7:48:32 AM

surf_rider56 wrote:
It's a spaceship. Never ment to have Mounted Weapon and I seriously doubt Rigid would be part of the Falcon's description; if you're Not rigid you couldn't be in vacuum.

Main reasons I brought them up is that it's kind of odd to "heal" the spaceship, and while I don't disagree with leaving Rigid off of a flying vehicle (I didn't use it for obvious reasons), it could apply (you put it on the Cloud Car) or could have been intentionally left off.