RegisterDonateLogin

We would be honored, if you would join us for a glass of Bloo Milk.

Welcome Guest Active Topics | Members

WI Regional 2018 Options
Chargers
Posted: Sunday, February 11, 2018 6:18:07 AM
Groups: Member

Saturday, April 28
(yes, earlier than usual)

Kryptonite Kollectibles
1441 Plainfield Ave
Janesville, WI 53545
(608) 758-2100
store opens at 10am for registration
tourney will begin at 11 am

200 points
SWMGPA floor rules
restricted Map lists ... all
Swiss hour rounds, then playoffs top 4
Head judge: Tim

3/5/18 edit: changed date

Naarkon
Posted: Sunday, February 18, 2018 9:18:19 AM

I most likely won’t be anle to make it this year. Hope you guys have fun.
Darth_Frenchy
Posted: Sunday, February 18, 2018 12:14:46 PM

Naarkon wrote:

Lame!!
Naarkon
Posted: Sunday, February 18, 2018 1:29:35 PM

Darth_Frenchy wrote:
Naarkon wrote:

Lame!!

Believe me, I really want to, but I will still be in Virginia at the time.
Chargers
Posted: Monday, March 5, 2018 4:39:05 PM

Naarkon wrote:

We've pushed it back a week if that helps.

And Mark offered to be your Uber driver to get you to and from Virginia. Laugh
Lily_Wan
Posted: Friday, April 27, 2018 3:00:10 PM

I'll be there but I'll need to split early, likely after four matches.

What's the expected attendance?
urbanjedi
Posted: Saturday, April 28, 2018 8:27:04 PM

I will have a full report later but

I won the event with this squad

--WI regional--
50 Han Solo, Galactic Hero
42 Garm Bel Iblis, Ruthless Tactician
32 Chewbacca, Galactic Hero
28 Dash Rendar, Renegade Smuggler
18 Klatooinian Captain
13 BB-8
10 Jagged Fel
6 Ugnaught Demolitionist x2

Preferred Reinforcements:
(Garm, RT) 15 Eryl Besa
(Garm, RT) 5 Galactic Alliance Recruit

(199pts. 11 activations)
jen'ari
Posted: Saturday, April 28, 2018 8:46:07 PM

Wow! That squad does not look optimized at all. So I look forward to reading the report to see how it played or how it was so dangerous with Dash's low attack rating, and no real heavy defense.

Good to see old han and Chewbacca come back.
So now we have had cad bane and han, gh win this year.
That is cool.

P.s. congrats
shmi15
Posted: Saturday, April 28, 2018 9:18:20 PM

urbanjedi wrote:
I will have a full report later but

I won the event with this squad

--WI regional--
50 Han Solo, Galactic Hero
42 Garm Bel Iblis, Ruthless Tactician
32 Chewbacca, Galactic Hero
28 Dash Rendar, Renegade Smuggler
18 Klatooinian Captain
13 BB-8
10 Jagged Fel
6 Ugnaught Demolitionist x2

Preferred Reinforcements:
(Garm, RT) 15 Eryl Besa
(Garm, RT) 5 Galactic Alliance Recruit

(199pts. 11 activations)

If I had to guess... Garm and BB-8 were the heros of this squad. Looks like you play it slower, and pick off some key tech pieces or door control. Jagged boosts everyones attack by 4.... and speed 8/evade gives you range survivability and some great speed and positioning with a Cunning/Opp Shooters. Garm's CE was key for early positioning, and Traps was key once the fight took place, Dash would be shooting for an optimal 18/20 4 times, and Han is a 18/30, and Chewy i s a possible 20/40 a pop. Tactician +8 with MNTO is brutal combo. The 20 points of reserves can be so many different things its pretty crazy actually when you look at it, R2-D2 Galactic Hero was prob an auto include, and then if he played OR it would work to bring in Kol Skywalker FS to protect all his CE bonuses. I put it into squad builder and there is a lot going on as far as synergy. Question about Eryl Besa, were you able to use her ability to set up 4 squares further if you bring her in through Reinforcements?

Nice looking squad
jen'ari
Posted: Saturday, April 28, 2018 9:26:30 PM

But still, 80 damage from dash (with opportunist, 40 without), 60 from han (with cunning, 40 without), 80 from Chewbacca (with hurt solo, 40 without). Is not very much. Must be very well played.
You talk about bringing up traps, but 70 hp and no defense. Chewie can only bg so much.

I think it comes down to just great play to make sure it plays well since the synergy does not seem easy to play imo.
Chargers
Posted: Sunday, April 29, 2018 8:31:08 AM

Results of first four rounds:
TimmerB, 12 points, 4-0
Jason, 8 points, 2-2
Lillian, 7 points, 2-2
Mark, 7 points, 3-1
Bryan, 6 points, 2-2
Drew, 5 points, 2-2
Logan1, 5 points, 1-3
Tim, 4 points, 2-2
Laura, 3 points, 1-3

TimmerB beat Jason in round four which set the rematch between them for the final. We routinely cut to top two due to store hours and having to be out at closing time.

And as Jason noted, he won. Congrats!

In hindsight, Mark should have been third. I didn't think to ask about tie-breakers and went with kill points earned each round as those are used in many (non-SWM) games I've run over the years. One of Mark's wins was a bye (he took it so that a travelling player could play the last round), so in essence I gave the tie-breaker to the person who played all four rounds. And speaking of byes, I took the bye in the first round so others who came to play (and some travelled a distance) could play. I gave myself a loss with 0 points so it wouldn't appear that I was trying to give myself an edge. Other players with byes were given full wins.

It was a fun day with great people. Looking forward to more.
TheHutts
Posted: Sunday, April 29, 2018 1:12:44 PM

jen'ari wrote:
Wow! That squad does not look optimized at all. So I look forward to reading the report to see how it played or how it was so dangerous with Dash's low attack rating, and no real heavy defense.

Good to see old han and Chewbacca come back.
So now we have had cad bane and han, gh win this year.
That is cool.

P.s. congrats

I know we had long impassioned arguments about Dash being replaced by Mira, Han GH being replaced by Han CL, and Cad Bane being replaced by Boba, but I always thought that all 6 were viable options. All of them are basically power 9 or power 10 pieces where you trade between tech and raw firepower.
jen'ari
Posted: Sunday, April 29, 2018 2:40:09 PM

Power 9 vs power 10.

Power 9 (I would say dash is 8.5 in today's world) can always compete and can find its place in the right build.

Dash needs two attack boosts to be playable.

I will have to see what the other squads looked like to see how great the squad did. Regionals have been very tier 1.5 -2 recently.
Even the world vassal thing is tier 1.5 at best. Winning a regionals, in my opinion, is a good indicator of playing ability more then squad ability.

shmi15
Posted: Sunday, April 29, 2018 5:04:14 PM

jen'ari wrote:
Power 9 vs power 10.

Power 9 (I would say dash is 8.5 in today's world) can always compete and can find its place in the right build.

Dash needs two attack boosts to be playable.

I will have to see what the other squads looked like to see how great the squad did. Regionals have been very tier 1.5 -2 recently.
Even the world vassal thing is tier 1.5 at best. Winning a regionals, in my opinion, is a good indicator of playing ability more then squad ability.

I think he took out tech with Han like the old days. If Eryl Bysa works through reinforcements, than he was setting up 4 squares farther, and would be able to pick off a lot of door control which helps with all kind of positioning. And Garm's CE keeps all those movements at bay. Damage doesn't seem like much, but I highly doubt he ran toe to toe with any squad, I would've used the speed and mobility of it to pick off all the pieces I could, and do as much ranged damage as possible. Garm also has that auto 10 damage that he can do to Han to get Chewies Protective off. Like I said lots of hidden synergy in this. Not even factoring all the reserves combos.

It was probably a good meta call as well as being a very creative squad.
TheHutts
Posted: Sunday, April 29, 2018 5:40:07 PM

The most noteworthy thing about the squad is no Dodonna and no Ganner. They're generally the first two pieces in any New Republic squad.
jen'ari
Posted: Sunday, April 29, 2018 6:49:40 PM

TheHutts wrote:
The most noteworthy thing about the squad is no Dodonna.

SUPER KUDOS FOR THAT.

I will still have to chalk this up to a unique squad played by a master til I see the other squads and play reports. (Which I am hoping come soon, especially the squads. I love seeing squad builds).
urbanjedi
Posted: Sunday, April 29, 2018 6:53:59 PM

TheHutts wrote:
The most noteworthy thing about the squad is no Dodonna and no Ganner. They're generally the first two pieces in any New Republic squad.

Well Rival Dodonna.

And who needs Ganner, when you have Eryl!!!
urbanjedi
Posted: Sunday, April 29, 2018 9:21:25 PM

As Chargers posted above, there were 9 players, so 4 rounds of swiss and a top 2 playoff in rd 5 as the store closes early so we had to be done and out with 5 rounds of games, same as it has been for many years.

Rd 1 against Ghost Crew (ahsoka, kanan, exra, sabine, hera, chops, and 2x killik)
Drew played it perfect. Only coordinating guys who had already activated, only Grappling guys who had already activated, etc. My squad was primed for a run and gun style game, and I couldn't handle the Beefy, evading on 7, guys. I had the lead for most of the game, but in the end a nearly full kanan, and a half health Ahsoka finally finished me off.
Final score was 200+ to like 160 something (I had 6 rds of gambit).

Rd 2 against Bryan and Ajunta Pall eating his prawns.
This was a horrid matchup for Bryan. Han could pick off his guys with accurate, chewie was doing 40 (and could hit whoever after I rolled BB8 up), and I was disrupting Ajunta's CE with Han and later BB. Highlights of the game were Ajunta nearly killing Dash with Dark Energy failed saves (10 left on Dash) and then finally turning into a leviathan before dying a horrid death.
1-1 4pts

Rd 3 against Logan with Sith. Boba, Holosid, Alema Rar, Talon Hand of Krayt, some other fun goodies
Alema gave chewie the poison pill early, and it did I think 80 damage to him before he finally figured it out. Plenty of lightning from some of his guys, but Boba brought his nerf gun, and I kept shooting at his fodder that he was piling in the way. When the smoke cleared it was full health Boba and his reinforcement R7 against my nearly dead Jag, my half health Garm, and an ugg as I got my 5th round of gambit and won. We played it out and he would have smoked me in 2 more rounds. If boba hadn't brought his nerf gun to this fight almost certainly wins (I think 5 misses in his first 2 rounds of shots including a re-roll)
2-1 7 pts

Rd 4 against Timmer (RD 1)
I pick off his R7 and Mouse early, so play door games for a bit, but he doesn't ever let me shoot at Mira and eventually gets her in position so I have to fall back. He keeps pushing and eventually, slowly wears down my guys. I can't buy an evade, and my guys have the nerf guns this round. Tim notes that his opponents all day have brought nerf guns and that it will probably haunt him in the finals. With tons of gambit (7 rds) and some kills, I do end up well over 100 so
2-2 8pts

Chargers announces that I am in second (Tim in first with 12 pts) and that we will have a rematch for the finals
Finals against Timmer (RD 2)
Well Tim was right. Dice were all in my favor. When's Tim's guys weren't using their nerf guns, Chewie was diving all over the place avoiding blaster bolts. My guys couldn't miss attacks, Chewie even hit a crit on Mira, paired with saccing an uggie to get adjacent and then let chewie fire at will at him (from garm) ended miras day. Tim did have a couple of positioning errors that could have changed the outcome entirely, and the final nail was when knowing he was down, he decided to resolonaire with Maul to try and claw back into the game and failed the save (and re-roll) to become activated. Some concentrated firepower after that worked on some guys, and another round or so and the game was over.

Squad has some surprising synergies, and it is great against other mid-range stuff, but has a very difficult time against beefy, tanky stuff (especially with ranged damage mitigation). Pretty low HP, so have to kinda get the early lead with positioning (Eryl and speed 8 helps with that), push the early advantage and hope to hang on in the end for the win.

Han at 18/30 with cunning and chewie at 16/40 with double (and protective) do give it a punch, but most of the damage is tied up in just a few attackers (and shots) so once some of the attackers start going down, it can get difficult.

Other squads in attendance (triple ven, triple ven with revanchist, cad/aurra/spotter/sniper, 100pt revan). Really glad I avoided all of those squads.
urbanjedi
Posted: Sunday, April 29, 2018 9:22:10 PM

Thanks Chargers for putting on this regional.

As always, it was a blast and tons of fun to come out and play minis with you guys. Can't wait for the next tourney.
FlyingArrow
Posted: Monday, April 30, 2018 6:20:04 AM
Groups: Member , Moderator

Congrats on the win, but it sounds like Tim still comes out on top. 4-1 sounds better than 3-2.

Flapper

(Incidentally, I think the rules should be changed. Mark's 3-1 7pts should be ranked ahead of a 2-2 8pts. Right now, points come first and record is the tiebreaker. It should be the other way around.)