RegisterDonateLogin

The possibility of successfully navigating this site is approximately 3,720 to one.

Welcome Guest Active Topics | Members

Daala and the Reasoning Options
Darth_Frenchy
Posted: Wednesday, February 14, 2018 8:34:13 PM
Groups: Member

Some quotes from others and from myself...

Dr Daman wrote:
General_Grievous wrote:
I agree with a new card and that sep ability where you can only have one other imperial commander in your squad.

That will kill her and we'll be back to having Thrawn as the only option for competitive play in imperials. Everyone thought Poggle was an NPE and Mace as well, but we all got over that. I say at the most, drop reserves. Just my opinion.

Dr D did change his opinion on this eventually.

atmsalad wrote:
Reserves(on daala) are fine, it's that raxus and snow troops getting charging. You change prideful to not effect low cost pieces and scouts are nerfed because they can't have diplomats be effective. I vote change charging to not apply to the low cost troops. Daala swarms are bad for the game, changing reserves(on daala) won't change that.

atmsalad wrote:
What about just making her CE mobile attack?

atmsalad wrote:
I am in favor of changing charging fire to either charging assault or making it not affect characters below 10.

atmsalad wrote:
Instead of making counters to extreme paper, isn't one solution to not make extreme versions of squads possible? With daala that's simple, limit prideful or the CE instead of being all inclusive. With naboo, the trooper didn't need to be created. Naboo pilots was strong enough (IMO).

Obviously with extreme rock that can be harder, but their are plenty of squads that still stand a chance purely because of the melee to shooting factor. Coincidently I think that is why this game isn't purely a rock paper Scizzors format. Because Scizzors can still beat rock if it's in the form of triple or double attack. (The Neo Crusaders worry me, btw)

atmsalad wrote:
This is how I think the game works. Major Scizzors squads have hate that most squads can bring in through Lobot or are built in naturally. Major Rock squads are at a naturally disadvantage in this game due to the fact that most have lower activations than average, they don't have as many ranged weapons and in most cases can't take out multiple pieces consistently in 1 turn.(they do have a some great movement breakers than can be helpful.

Major Swarms are the oddball of the group. To compete with the major swarms you almost have to build a hate squad right now. Either yobuck, Durge, lancer or Bastilla.(Bastilla is not always the best choice...) You also have to be able to out activate them in some cases.(such as Durge on Speeder and maybe Luke and Leia) When they lose they do lose hard though. The problem I see with them is you either build for them or you don't. If you don't build for it you normally won't have a chance.

I don't have a problem with partial paper squads. About every squad I build has a minor paper aspect. My issue is with major paper squads. To get a full win is very difficult if you don't have a hard counter. Swarms in general are more than an NPE in my opinion, they are not good for the game.

Saved the best one for last. Man this was a walk down memory lane, lol. Few if any of my position on these issues has changed. The only time I believe I have defended Daala was when people said my first squad was an NPE. It definitely could be, but it was less extreme and had more weaknesses than the vast majority of Daala squads. Anywho...
shmi15
Posted: Wednesday, February 14, 2018 8:35:47 PM

Echo24 wrote:
shmi15 wrote:

Reserves won ONE regional, that they dominated, and immediately a piece was released to hard counter it

Unkar had been finalized (maybe even sent to the printer) before Jason won that regional; in fact Jason played Reserves just because he knew Unkar was coming. Whether that makes his design more or less reasonable is an exercise left to the reader.

I stand corrected on Unkar, kinda... So that just meant a Reserves counter was made before Reserves was any good at all... So the Designers intent was to actual destroy Reserves without them ever being competitive. Is that what I am hearing?

BUT, they still made a new floor rule, after Reserves won 1 Regional, and after Unkar came out.

Can we get a list of ALL the tournaments Daala has won/dominated in her tenure? I would be very interested in seeing that. I bet its more than Reserves won... Flapper LOL
Deaths_Baine
Posted: Wednesday, February 14, 2018 8:35:50 PM

Echo24 wrote:
shmi15 wrote:

Reserves won ONE regional, that they dominated, and immediately a piece was released to hard counter it

Unkar had been finalized (maybe even sent to the printer) before Jason won that regional; in fact Jason played Reserves just because he knew Unkar was coming. Whether that makes his design more or less reasonable is an exercise left to the reader.

Great... they hated reserves so much they ruined it before they even knew it could possibly be an issue lol. Hey guys what needs a counter... daala maybe??? Hell no those reserve squads need a silver bullet for sure.... LOL
CorellianComedian
Posted: Wednesday, February 14, 2018 8:37:42 PM

Deaths_Baine wrote:
Echo24 wrote:
shmi15 wrote:

Great... they hated reserves so much they ruined it before they even knew it could possibly be an issue lol. Hey guys what needs a counter... daala maybe??? Hell no those reserve squads need a silver bullet for sure.... LOL

I thought I heard that Unkar was supposed to counter Master Tactician...? Like, not hard counter, but in some way?
Deaths_Baine
Posted: Wednesday, February 14, 2018 8:38:57 PM

A selective walk down memory lane for sure, Although I would still vote for you on a leadership committee proposal. I still hold out hope that one day...ehh what a fantasy LOL.
jen'ari
Posted: Wednesday, February 14, 2018 8:40:10 PM

Wow Frenchy you sounded great back then!!

the lightside is a great place to be! return to the light.

it is all different now. Darth Vader cannot quote Anakin and think it means much..

but onto other things.

TheHutts wrote:
The whole setup is de-centralised. It means that people can push their things through, but it means that one agenda isn't dominating anything. I think it's a much healthier setup than if we had one main controller, even though it means sometimes the team contradicts itself, like having flash new strafers and swarms in set 6, then strafe counters in set 7. For the record, I'd love to tone down Pellaeon by removing Ysalamari to tone the Imperials down, but I'm just one voice among many and I don't throw my toys every time I disagree with someone.

There are no conspiracies. I'm on the Playtest Committee, the Balance Committee, etc, and I don't see any evidence of secret blocs, apart from some guys from Tennessee who jump on every conceivable negative bandwagon. The group of people producing the sets are just a bunch of people who love a dead game doing the best they can to keep it alive, and doing so for more than 7 years after it finished production. Your conspiracy theories make you look like you go around wearing a tin foil hat.

ummm. that red word is conspiracy echo.

Conspiracy in the terms that it is something that should be illegal. A secret combination to come to a certain point by being sneaky is a conspiracy even if the intentions are "good" they are only good to the ones doing the sneaky. A conspiracy to murder someone can have good intentions.

Edit:
umm well that word is actually not conspiracy.... its conspiracies
#corrected
jen'ari
Posted: Wednesday, February 14, 2018 8:41:51 PM

The Conspiracy on Unkarr was not that it happened right away, it is that ONE person wanted to fix a mistake that just so happened to defeat Daala (the squad most likely being ran by a certain someone) who than backed Unkarr when it came out. (at least publicly) once again the powers at be make people do crazy things, even if they don't believe them to be true.

#blacklist

to make myself more clear. ONE designer took it upon himself to nerf a playstyle because he wanted to, and it was allowed to happen. but we are to believe that design team have no agendas??
Deaths_Baine
Posted: Wednesday, February 14, 2018 8:57:25 PM

Well it's been fun I fully expect my account to be deactivated by tomorrow. If so just remember those of you I sent messages too you now have a glimpse of the truth to which we have referred to for years. You can no longer feign ignorance or hide behind some facade you have built over the years. If I'm not deactivated I sincerely hope some of you will grow the testicular fortitude needed to finally stand up and stand behind how you really feel instead of fearing the backlash and elites that have forced you into this submissive shell you hide behind now.
Darth_Frenchy
Posted: Wednesday, February 14, 2018 9:27:06 PM

"I can argue against Reserves being something good for the game, but still think it deserves its place because people do enjoy playing the game that way." I am not sure why that position is so difficult for you to understand.

The Vote to change the floor rules to prevent reserves from stacking passed unanimously. Not just the BC members, but also the rules guys included in the group thought it should happen. 40 or 60 points each round was decided to be to much. Unkar is still being discussed and we are trying to reach an agreement on him to come sometime after Frosty conn.

Quotes by me on Unkar in the Balance Committee conversations....

"He prohibits you from bringing reserves because you auto lose to anyone with Lobot. MTB Used to be a counter to reserves, until reserves players thought of bringing an mtb themselves. I also doubt unkar will see much table time, since all he does well is make it so you cant play reserves."

"I am not a reserves lover by any means, I hate it. I hate losing by them and i hate winning by rolling reserves. Say with Ozzel when i am playing Daala or Thrawn. At the same time, to put it frankly, I dont think it is okay to make it impossible for the people that like reserves to play them and have a chance. That is the only thing Unkar does well..."

"My personal opinion is that even if we hadn't cut double reserves off, Unkar would have still went to far."

I know this will not make a bit of difference, but it makes me feel better. Now just don't ask for me to release my taxes... :p
TheHutts
Posted: Wednesday, February 14, 2018 9:45:58 PM

jen'ari wrote:

I used the word conspiracy because you used that exact word on Gamers earlier today.

In addition to the above points about reserves, for the record, I have stated several times that personally I would prefer no stacking and no Plutt.
jen'ari
Posted: Wednesday, February 14, 2018 9:46:17 PM

WELL DONE FRENCHY!

doesn't that feel nice!
but to be honest I already knew that is how you felt privately (it would be too stupid to feel differently). you just haven't come out with it publicly til now.
Its called backbone.
Playing two sides is never fun.
I am glad it feels good.
Now do the rest and return to the light like Vader did. Don't worry so much the community has moved far enough away from blacklisting that you can be who you were always meant to be. FA has your back. even echo24 does. Keep revealing the real you and you will see that you are received well.

No pressure though. feel free to continue to live the double life if it is still too much.
but you need to find your ideals and stick to them publicly and privately.

(the whole idea of this thread by the way)

it seems everyone else's tin foil hat is coming off tonight
jen'ari
Posted: Wednesday, February 14, 2018 9:46:58 PM

TheHutts wrote:
jen'ari wrote:

I used the word conspiracy because you used that exact word on Gamers earlier today.

Conspiracies*
Darth_Frenchy
Posted: Wednesday, February 14, 2018 10:02:48 PM

I have literally never changed. I just have the stones to argue against a popular opinion, but still support everyone's right to play this game the way they enjoy it.
General_Grievous
Posted: Thursday, February 15, 2018 3:27:51 AM

CorellianComedian wrote:
Deaths_Baine wrote:
Echo24 wrote:
shmi15 wrote:

I thought I heard that Unkar was supposed to counter Master Tactician...? Like, not hard counter, but in some way?

That was the alleged reasoning, which should have meant that the travesty that the piece was should have been changed due to designer intent. But then the designer said it actually was to destroy reserves because he didn't think it should be in the competitive game. Again despite Daala or a dozen other actual much stronger pieces being a way bigger issue.

This is my issue too. A single piece should not break the game or irreversibly change it. Unkar did that and the extra nerfing to reserves when he wasn't brought up at all is the real kicker for a lot of us. I honestly believe that most people are actually good and even though we may not share all opinions, we should be able to work together for a common good based on logic, brotherhood and respect. One designer is not doing that and they are souring the community because of it. When others in a position of trust and power allow selfish illogical ideas to run unchecked then it makes other people feel disrespected and isolated which is not an attitude we should have as a close-knit group.

We can't change that person's attitude but we sure as heck can stand up to it and fix what's wrong by removing the scourge that is Unkar and taking a step back towards community.

Anyways to the point of the thread, yes I'm very astonished that Reserves, a joking luck-based play-style got a triple nerf without batting an eye from anyone, while other power 11 strong pieces continue on. Personally I don't have an issue with Daala but we use her squads to give to new players as a sort of handicap that allows them to play against much more seasoned players. And her squads are actually a favorite with several of our women players so I won't go advocating against her. But she is an 11 and has done extremely well at tournaments so I can see why some would want her changed and by all means the data is there to support it. My issue though is like I said, using personal bias to break the game of things someone doesn't like, and making counters for things that don't need counters.

But everyone chill, take it down three notches of volume, hug each other and realize you are all just family. Because the only thing I dislike more than prideful arrogance hurting others is community strife. Don't let the sour folks get you down, and come chill in the customs section, we have respectful logical ideas there! hahaha.
juice man
Posted: Thursday, February 15, 2018 4:35:26 AM

Hey, GG. Prideful strife.OMG

Sounds like a Daala squad with a Scout trooper on speeder bike.Scared