Is in command now.

Welcome Guest Active Topics | Members

World Vassal Regional 2018 Standings and Play Reports Only Options
Caedus
Posted: Tuesday, May 22, 2018 12:19:04 PM
Groups: Member

FlyingArrow wrote:
Caedus wrote:
I will grant an extension until Friday. If by 8pm, there is no record of a game being played, contingency one will occur. DarthFrenchy and Flying Arrow will have 5 Days to complete a game and the winner will face tint. Now I know this is once again going against the rules set forth and is continuing to make this Tourney and its TO a complete farce and a joke, but spry did get his request in BEFORE the deadline and I feel the situation is warranted. Sorry for any inconvenience.

Can someone run down the tiebreaker details? I did them earlier when I thought it might matter (before Tim won in his last round), and I'm pretty sure Jason had me beat. But hopefully Spry can play and it won't matter anyway.

Sorry, FA and urbanjedi. Yes if spryguy can't play his game urbanjedi is the defacto alternate . Sorry for the confusion
TimmerB123
Posted: Tuesday, May 22, 2018 1:31:24 PM

Jen'ari, even though we disagree, I do have some empathy for your frustration.

It's maddening when you are so sure you are right, and there are so many people arguing that you are not.

Man, that makes me want to pull my hair out. Sincerely. "Why can't they just see that I'm right!?!" I say to myself in my head.

This isn't just a general statement. I've had these very thoughts, SMW related, and recently no less. Certainly not for the first time.

Sometimes I felt like I wanted to throw my computer across the room. (I would never actually do that, it was just an expression meant to illustrate how frustrating it can be.)

People have different opinions. Even in areas where it seems clear to me that there is one obvious right answer.

You are allowed to have you opinion. I am allowed to have mine as well.

I'll even say that I shouldn't have made the joke that reignighted this. Sorry to you, and sorry for everyone else on this thread thinking to themselves "Oh no not again ThumbDown"

You absolutely have the right to disagree with his ruling

What is not ok is the personal attacks against Shawn. He is a volunteer, giving his time and energy for a game he loves.

As much as we have butted heads over the years, I think we might have more in common than some realize.

Your passion for the game cannot be denied. Your enthusiasm at the start of this tournament was seriously awesome! Your zeal for discussing squads and matchups was envigorating. Your offers to help people learn how to use Vassal and play other games was commendable. I have no doubt everyone likes that enthusiastic, positive, energetic side of you that shined bright at the start of the tournament.

On the flipside, I think it's fair to say that we can both be pretty stubborn (I know I certainly am!), and can get worked up pretty easily (there's no doubt I can). I think we often bring that out in each other even more.

I'm gonna be candid here. Legitimately. This is for real and not meant to mock. I'm gonna open up here and bare some personal things. (And sorry to everyone for being so off-topic, but I really feel like this is important)

I have long struggled with anxiety, depression and anger, as well as obsessive/compulsive issues. Top it off with ADD and mild bi-polar and it's amazing that I'm functional at all. It's something I have to deal with every day.

I feel like I have made progress over the years, but I certainly haven't "solved" it. There is no magic cure, and I have tried many things. Counciling, medication, support groups, etc.

It's tough, and it can feel lonely - which only exacerbates it.

I know I have upset other community members on the boards (and in person for that matter). Sometimes I literally feel like I HAVE to respond to something, even against my better judgment. It enrages me when I see something that is so blatantly wrong (in my own mind) to the point where I can't let it go. I get obsessed with it.

I have ended up being ostrasized by segments of the community at times. Being a pariah in the community, especially one that has grown in many ways into a group of friends more than anything, sucks.

I honestly don't know if you've ever felt any of these things. I certainly am not trying to say you have. I just wanted to share some of what I've dealt with (and still am).

If you feel like you have ever dealt with any of these yourself, and would like to talk about it - I am open to it.

This is a sincere offer.

I've really found that it helps talking to people. Especially those who may have gone through something similar.

Hit me up and I can go more into my personal struggle if you want, or we can just talk. About whatever you'd like.

Darth_Frenchy
Posted: Tuesday, May 22, 2018 1:36:17 PM

Awesome, hope Spry can get our game in, I will plan for wed!!
General_Grievous
Posted: Tuesday, May 22, 2018 1:42:44 PM

Well said Tim and thank you for sharing brother, sorry to hear about what you've been dealing with and will keep you in prayer. Can I just say that it's awesome that you apologized and explained yourself and offered the peace branch. He's human like all of us Jen'ari, hug him back and let's bring peace to the force and Bloomilk once again. Echoing an old post but apologies for any of the times I've been stubborn or offended anyone. Peace and love in real life brothers. Now in minis bring the war and destruction of the Jedi! Hahaha
jen'ari
Posted: Tuesday, May 22, 2018 4:56:25 PM

You know Tim the only time I have beef with you is when you are actively trying to get things to go your way when they are contrary to the good of the game.

All of these other things I don't think about outside of the boards. I have a beautiful wife and 5 kids, I have a fantastic soccer team that I coach and wonderful Special Needs kids that I teach every day I live close to beach and I love life.

The thing I would like to point out is that I don't actually think I am right.
I am right (most of the time)

I was right about Yaddle
I was right about Qui-Gon
I was right about Baze
I was right about secret agendas
I was right about the piece coming out that I got mad about in PT
I was right about Caedus breaking the rules (this time).

I regret blowing up about doors being locked because it was not a set in stone rule and was a judgement call.
I regret calling Caedus pathetic.

I guess the biggest difference between this community and I is that I care more about the game than I do the players that play the game..

I hear people say it actually affects their day to day life and that they need to escape the drama...
There has been no one ostracized, ignored, or devalued more than I have been (self-inflicted or whatever). I just don't care enough to compromise. (Rorschach)
Which is why I do not hesitate to say that I need no olive branch extended to me and i will not accept one that is extended. I am right about this. You can either accept it or not. You can move on or not. I will continue to try to get you to just admit that I am right when I am right and being actively wronged. But if it never comes out, it is not really going to mean much to me. I don't mind the time put in to try to give you chances to recant and accept truth.

Call it arrogant, call it petty, Call it being an a$$hat (some people's favorite thing to say), doesn't really matter to me.
I am going to continue fighting things I see that are wrong. Even if I am the only one. but i promise you things would go a million times easier (for those that are actually affected by bloomilk drama) if people just spoke the truth about things and said "ya your right, but we are moving on".
Yes it is breaking the rules, but we are ok with it.
Yes Yaddle is wrongly depicted, but we like what she does.
Yes, secret agendas did happen but steps have been taken to stop them.
etc etc.
It is actually a strategy for releasing tension and stress. It is liberating to just say Yep, and we are moving on.
Who can argue with that?
you can't argue that. keeping the conversation going, like this one has, just makes more drama and causes more negativity. I don't know if Caedus was being sarcastic or not when he said
"Now I know this is once again going against the rules set forth"
but just that recognition makes people want to be more understanding.
instead of trying to hide it, just state it out loud and people will accept it or not.
you will find this strategy will be helpful to you in more ways than just SWM.
General_Grievous
Posted: Tuesday, May 22, 2018 7:03:20 PM

Well we were so close, truthfully Jen brother though one may be right, no one really wins an argument. For even if your outcome is achieved then the other party is left hurt by your actions and negatively affecting future outcomes. You can call your response and future interactions what you will but I do think it was pretty cool Tim being real and peace-making here. And I hope we all just keep trying to put each other first ahead of anything else. Anyways even if people don't agree or acknowledge your belief that you are right hopefully you can put your passion and strength into the game in other aspects. Including the killer customs, that's my favourite part of bloo these days.

Back to the vassal tourney again it was cool to get to meet and know some of the people I've been interacting with for years on here digitally. We are an international community of some solid people and it's always fun to log on, talk Star Wars, gaming and just hang out on what is normally a pretty chill part of the Internet. Try going to fantasy flight forums or literally any part of Facebook, Reddit or any other social media/forums and try to find the friendly unique people that we have here. There is a random New Zealand group, which is made more awesome by my random Canadian group (commonwealth brothers unite!). We have the brilliance that is anything Koba posts when he shows up to share his brilliance. The art of custom cards the Surf creates is only matched by the beauty of minis that Lily Wan and some of the other customizers make and the awesome map worlds that Matt Francella has continued to create for us. And I still have no idea how guys like Swine, Surf and Tim keeps every aspect of the game in mind at any time. Caedus's drive and endurance to create and foster this tournament. And that's just naming a few of the awesome people that grace us with their continued passion, kindness and creativity long after WOTC finished dropping the ball. The VSETs have been great and helped massively to keep the game fresh and current and I love that we have the old and new canon are still very much both alive.

Anyways I'm all jacked up on you guys and you all rock! Strength and honour brothers and I look forward to the final battle results! The North may have been defeated but we will be back with much bigger, younger and more powerful droids! Get some!
TheHutts
Posted: Tuesday, May 22, 2018 8:08:12 PM

jen'ari wrote:

I am right (most of the time)

I was right about Yaddle
I was right about Qui-Gon
I was right about Baze
I was right about secret agendas
I was right about the piece coming out that I got mad about in PT
I was right about Caedus breaking the rules (this time).

TimmerB123
Posted: Tuesday, May 22, 2018 10:07:27 PM

jen'ari wrote:
I need no olive branch extended to me and i will not accept one that is extended. I am right about this.

It's ok friend. That offer will be on the table if you ever change your mind.

If you ever need to talk, you know where you can find me.
Caedus
Posted: Tuesday, May 22, 2018 10:56:35 PM

Please keep this thread on point. Make another thread if you must.
jen'ari
Posted: Wednesday, May 23, 2018 3:37:49 AM

Last post Caedus.

I am a teacher and one of the things I teach is vocabulary to students that do not have great vocabularies at the moment. We always engage our vocabulary with lots of other ways of using the word because a mere definition is not going to help since they, most likely, do not understand the words in the definition.

Here are some definitions of the word Opinion

a belief not based on absolute certainty or positive knowledge but on what seems true, valid, or probable to one's own mind; judgment

judgment or belief not founded on certainty or proof

Your opinion about something is what you think or believe about it.

a view, judgment, or appraisal formed in the mind about a particular matter

belief stronger than impression and less strong than positive knowledge

Now lets look at some synonyms and antonyms

Synonyms:

belief, judgment, notion, conclusion, feeling, estimation

Antonyms:

Fact, Truth, Reality

Opinions do not have facts.
Yaddle has facts. She had a life and she did certain things in that life. She is bound by her epic deeds and anything she did not do becomes an opinion or a guess. Designs have to be based on proof enough from the character to do what they are able to do in the game.

She did not know Shien style and she did not teach or help others know shien style (this is not an opinion). She did use a lightsaber but was more inclined to use the force (fact), her padawans where force user types as well so it is, at the very least, odd that her CE gives out Lightsaber assault. (it is a very large abstraction to truth to give her a CE granting lightsaber assault b/c we KNOW it is odd. We know it is odd because she was a force instructor and her padawans that we know of were force types. There can still be a small argument that since she was a jedi master and knew how to use a lightsaber and had to have taught her padawans how to use one that she could grant assault so it is not fact that that is wrong, just unreasonable, which is almost as bad since all the proof points a different picture).

Opinions are when facts are not present or knowledge is not present. Best case scenario is to use facts and proof to base opinions off of when you have to make an opinion or an abstraction when turning an event or action into an ability or function in the game. When it is done corrcetly you get something really flavorful and fun.
TimmerB123
Posted: Wednesday, May 23, 2018 10:51:47 AM

The fact is that we are at an impass when someone views something as a fact that others view as an opinion.

Jen'ari, I'm still open to talking with you privately brother. I think it would be healthy.

Let's take it off this thread to allow it to continue on with its titled purpose.

Peace
spryguy1981
Posted: Wednesday, May 23, 2018 11:13:10 AM

So unfortunately I cannot get the Wi-Fi service turned on until Sunday. I am going to withdraw so that the next contingency may occur. I don't want to ask for another extension until Sunday because everyone has been more than fair in this. If you choose to extend then I can schedule for after 3pm on Sunday otherwise good luck to the rest.
Gizmotronx
Posted: Wednesday, May 23, 2018 12:00:01 PM

(Cracks open door to see if this community is still arguing... slowly closes door)

Sorry to hear about your situation Spry. If you need anything, I think I am close by to you if I remember talking to you at GenCon last year
Darth_Frenchy
Posted: Wednesday, May 23, 2018 12:46:41 PM

That's up to Caedus, I don't mind waiting if TINT doesn't. At this point it's only the two of us that are waiting to play games. Although others could be patiently awaiting the results.
urbanjedi
Posted: Wednesday, May 23, 2018 3:34:56 PM

I'd much rather see spry get a chance to play, but I'll defer to caedus as the TO and abide by his ruling
thereisnotry
Posted: Thursday, May 24, 2018 7:05:20 AM

Darth_Frenchy wrote:
That's up to Caedus, I don't mind waiting if TINT doesn't. At this point it's only the two of us that are waiting to play games. Although others could be patiently awaiting the results.
WHAT?!?!? I hafta weight un-till SUNDAE?!?!? What kind of cut-rate production is this? Ima gonna hafta call my lawyer. Cursing Cursing

j/k Flapper LOL
Seriously though, it's fine with me either way. I'll play any time. Anyone. Anywhere (but it has to be on Vassal).

There's no rush on my end...any delays will only serve to further pump up my Vassal dice, enhancing them to nigh-unstoppable levels of nerd-rage-inspiring power that will lay waste to anything foolish enough to come into their path...bwaaahahaaaaa! Bomb

Caedus
Posted: Thursday, May 24, 2018 7:31:01 AM

thereisnotry wrote:
Darth_Frenchy wrote:
WHAT?!?!? I hafta weight un-till SUNDAE?!?!? What kind of cut-rate production is this? Ima gonna hafta call my lawyer. Cursing Cursing

j/k Flapper LOL
Seriously though, it's fine with me either way. I'll play any time. Anyone. Anywhere (but it has to be on Vassal).

There's no rush on my end...any delays will only serve to further pump up my Vassal dice, enhancing them to nigh-unstoppable levels of nerd-rage-inspiring power that will lay waste to anything foolish enough to come into their path...bwaaahahaaaaa! Bomb

Sundays extension is granted then.
thereisnotry
Posted: Thursday, May 31, 2018 3:56:29 AM

'Tis Thursday. Any news?
shmi15
Posted: Thursday, May 31, 2018 4:40:29 AM

thereisnotry wrote:
'Tis Thursday. Any news?

Maybe another extension was granted? Or maybe they meant this Sunday.
FlyingArrow
Posted: Monday, June 4, 2018 10:21:28 PM
Groups: Member , Moderator

Any news?