RegisterDonateLogin

That's two you owe me.

Welcome Guest Active Topics | Members

CCC Reboot Week 103 Flyboys or Girls Options
surf_rider56
Posted: Thursday, May 3, 2018 8:11:53 AM
Groups: Member

jen'ari wrote:
I totally agree with you about Vader not taking orders from anyone other than palpatine and of course tarkin.
The, not affected, by melee attacks is difficult. He destroys all Jedi builds.
I wonder how many times Vader flew his tie figured close to the Earth's surface without just getting out.
With that said, Jedi typically don't a way to hit characters with thought.
Jango had flight and obi wan caught up with him for a minute. Made cut off his head.
Cad bane had flight and was caught sometimes as well. Boba had flight and flew homeless right into the sarlacc. I am just pointing out that Jedi do have ways to combat flight. (Not super flight, I mean in reality Vader flies his tie fighter they go underground or something).

All these things are not showcased in the game very well because of the limitations.
If you want it to not be affected by melee attacks. I suggest staying that melee users make a save of 11 before targeting this character or something like that to show their built in ability to find ways to attack. Otherwise it is an auto won against melee squads

I thought about Lightsabers ignoe the Ad. Flight, but if Vader's flying a few hundred feet uo, how would Lt Saber Precision, as an example, really be used. Deflect, Reflect, LtSaber Throw ... and certain Force Powers ... I really just want to avoid melee attacks from non Force user types ...

Boba went down because he was hit ... Jango was dumb enough/low enough to let Kenobi almost get him ... yeah force powers can Pull/Push/etc ... but as I said, Non-Force types should have No way to hit him ....
jen'ari
Posted: Thursday, May 3, 2018 9:06:33 AM

and if the Jedi are in a building how is he going to target them?
EmporerDragon
Posted: Thursday, May 3, 2018 9:10:00 AM

surf_rider56 wrote:

one thing that's always bothered me about characters with flight is that, realistically, how can a character hit a flying object with anything except ranged weapons (Melee Attacks Shouldn't hit Boba flying, never mind something like a snowspeeder ... or Tie Fighter ...

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Uwbqr2UjeSg
surf_rider56
Posted: Thursday, May 3, 2018 9:13:21 AM

EmporerDragon wrote:
surf_rider56 wrote:

one thing that's always bothered me about characters with flight is that, realistically, how can a character hit a flying object with anything except ranged weapons (Melee Attacks Shouldn't hit Boba flying, never mind something like a snowspeeder ... or Tie Fighter ...

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Uwbqr2UjeSg

Well ... Jedi Could jump .... but not That high and certainly couldn't fly .....RollEyes
jen'ari
Posted: Thursday, May 3, 2018 9:44:50 AM

the force jump is definitely situational.

you have obi-wan jumping 100 feet in the air (dont know exactly how high) in Phantom Menace.

Than you have Anakin who cannot jump over Obi-Wan in Revenge of the Sith...
surf_rider56
Posted: Thursday, May 3, 2018 10:50:06 AM

EDIT - Version 4 now up. Still wrestling with High Altitude Flight ....
spryguy1981
Posted: Thursday, May 3, 2018 12:05:30 PM

jak
Posted: Thursday, May 3, 2018 3:19:45 PM

shmi15
Posted: Sunday, May 6, 2018 2:50:48 PM

jak - I love alert on him. Very fitting especially when you consider him catching the Thermal Detonator out of the air without looking. I'm not sure Rival Dark Side is needed since you switched him to Rebel? I can't think of any interaction off the top of my head, not saying there isn't one. His attack may be a bit high for me... but thats really my only issue.

Spry - Nice looking stat block, I just think it could be a bit over cost. For what else is out there in NR, I dunno if I would ever play her over another NR Jedi. You had room for 1 more ability, and I think for 42 points it could of been utilized. Stats aren't bad, and abilities are not broken, I would've just added an ability, or lowered the cost.

Emperor Dragon - Multiple Personalities is very interesting... I have never liked abilities that change every init tho. Zayne and Kyle Katarn RO are two examples, but, after looking into this guy, I actually like it. He is very undercosted tho IMO. Ganner and Dodonna make it super easy to set him up for whichever he gets. I actually would run him in a Savage build. Either he gets an incredible bonus, or he is your sharp shooter picking off door control. One attack keeps him in check tho... So maybe he is cost accurate? I dunno, I do like it tho, nice work.

GG- You get bonus points for not making a Droid or a Huge Flapper But I still don't know how I feel about MV.. And then giving MV to Sabine, as good already as her character is, makes it tough to get behind. And I don't like the Mandalorian Pilots gaining Bravado... Just reminds me of Naboo Pilots all over again.

Oakel - This piece hilariously captures that battle scene awesomely. Camaraderie should be for only Young Boba,makes the most sense. Slave 1 is a bit messy... I don't like the added -4 to attack at the end. Just to much going on there. Very, very nice job tho overall.

CHS - Very very interesting... I like the Order 66 help, as I have always thought Order 66 squads lacked a good leader to put them over the top. I don't like him having only 1 attack. Even with Yaddle. I would've dropped Jedi Reflexes for more attacks. At 36 points and a 20 max damage, I'm just not sold on using him.

Jenari - A beastly Vader with no Renewal. Easy ways to access FP for Imps, so Not a bad build, because your forced to use either the Holocron or Sidious to boost him. Love Force Wave on him. Love that ability. I've always loved Vaders who boost the 501st. Its a fan boy thing, but I have always loved that, and their nickname.

Lord Ball - Very interesting with Ace Pilot. The Tie Crawler could get up to Triple Twin with either Cunning or Opp, and Gregarious, which means he is shooting 6 times, disregarding cover for 18/30 a pop, not to mention an occasional reroll if the Emp is in your sqaud. And then if you kill the Crawler, she has a range 6 to just jump into another crawler with no real penalties to the Tie Crawler. Neat idea, just not behind all the crazy boosts she is open to, and how much damage she can do. Potential 180.

Surf Surf, I love this version you finished with. Clever way to get around the Speed 8/Evade with a CE. My only question now is... Does the CE count against your number limit? I know everyone else was counting a CE as part of the 7 abilities, and I notice your guy has 8 abilities. ( Unless I miscounted) Need a ruling from Spry about whether a CE counts or not to see if your character even fits the criteria this week.

Kobe- 11 Abilities. Looks cool, but way past the criteria limit for this week :(

Will post top 3 after Spry rules about the CE. I have 5 people I am considering, and Surf is one of them, unless his final submitted version doesn't fit this weeks rules. I know others kept their characters to 6 SA/Fp and then used a CE for their 7th. Rules state only Pilot and Unique won't count, and I know a CE is not technically an ability, but like I said, I think others were considering it as one during their designs.

1 Jak
2 Jenari
3 Surf
surf_rider56
Posted: Sunday, May 6, 2018 5:17:08 PM

shmi15 wrote:

Surf Surf, I love this version you finished with. Clever way to get around the Speed 8/Evade with a CE. My only question now is... Does the CE count against your number limit? I know everyone else was counting a CE as part of the 7 abilities, and I notice your guy has 8 abilities. ( Unless I miscounted) Need a ruling from Spry about whether a CE counts or not to see if your character even fits the criteria this week.

Will post top 3 after Spry rules about the CE. I have 5 people I am considering, and Surf is one of them, unless his final submitted version doesn't fit this weeks rules. I know others kept their characters to 6 SA/Fp and then used a CE for their 7th. Rules state only Pilot and Unique won't count, and I know a CE is not technically an ability, but like I said, I think others were considering it as one during their designs.

Well, I have six abilities plus the CE. Spry hasn't said a word, but other abilities (Synergy, Camaraderie to name some) seem to routinely give out 2 fer ones; if it counts as 2 abilities, I wish he's spoken up earlier; I posted that Thursday morning .....
shmi15
Posted: Sunday, May 6, 2018 6:13:43 PM

surf_rider56 wrote:
shmi15 wrote:

Well, I have six abilities plus the CE. Spry hasn't said a word, but other abilities (Synergy, Camaraderie to name some) seem to routinely give out 2 fer ones; if it counts as 2 abilities, I wish he's spoken up earlier; I posted that Thursday morning .....

Yep, I miscounted your abilities, I meant to go back and check after I wrote it... But I was gearing up for the NBA play offs and forgot, lol.

I am still unsure about whether or not the CE counts. I just know anyone who had a CE, kept it as one of the 7.

But, now I can give you my top 3!
Lord_Ball
Posted: Monday, May 7, 2018 6:51:36 AM

shmi15 wrote:
Lord Ball - Very interesting with Ace Pilot. The Tie Crawler could get up to Triple Twin with either Cunning or Opp, and Gregarious, which means he is shooting 6 times, disregarding cover for 18/30 a pop, not to mention an occasional reroll if the Emp is in your sqaud. And then if you kill the Crawler, she has a range 6 to just jump into another crawler with no real penalties to the Tie Crawler. Neat idea, just not behind all the crazy boosts she is open to, and how much damage she can do. Potential 180.

That ends up being a pretty heavy investment as 2 TIE crawlers and Maarek are already 109 points. The main penalties comes in the loss of an activation (the Pilot and Crawler become 1 character - see glossary for any clarification) and any CEs that would Affect both (Extra Attack from Vader) now only benefits 1 character instead of 2. Of course there is also a potential "bonus" 70 damage for a full HP Maarek piloting a Crawler that gets defeated.

Anyway onto the vote!

1 CHS
2 EmporerDragon
3 shmi
surf_rider56
Posted: Monday, May 7, 2018 9:46:58 AM

Peeves of mine concerning Pilots

Pilots have always bothered me. They're supposed to be "Elite" in some way and can do things almost as well as a
commando. Why?? They fly, but they're not infantry.

Regarding characters that are pilots second and Bounty Hunters/fighters/Jedi/etc first. I never liked the idea
that Jedi Joe has all these jedi abilities, but he also gets to use his force powers while Piloting a fighter?? How is a lightsaber usable from a star fighters cockpit? Use certain abilites while flying? Sure, but not everything. Same goes for everyone else.

Certain abilities while flying? Sure ... but not everything.

This may be skewed, but this is the way I'll look at things. Sorry if this irritates anyone, but within my own criteria, I call'em as I see'em. Lots to think on IMO.

LB - Maeek Stele. Ace Pilot is not only wordy, but seems pretty complicated (I can say this because I've been
occassionally guilty of that too.) Otherwise, congrats on finding a real pilot thats unknown.

Koba - Adi Gallia. Well, you didn't reall specify what to keep/toss. Adi is interesting, though not sure I agree on her +13 attack.

jen - Vader, Pilot. See, I'm not sure what to make of him. You emphasis "Pilot" yet four of your abilities emphasis his lightsaber. I can;t roll with that. :( (High Fives for beating me to a Vader!)

shmi - Rey. You at least went with her flying abilities with her stats and I applaud that. With only 3 Force Points, she seems limited and for 33 pts, not sure thats good; and without Leia, she doesn't hit very hard either.

CHS - Plo Koon. Not sure how I feel about this. His abilities/powers could translate to him flying (Not sure I agree on the CE giving out Trap, especially to Order 66.) Regarding jen's comment about "Pilot" being a term, I wholeheartily disagree. It's an ability, not necessarily a statement on what you are.

Oakel - Jango. Well, if he lost the "Slave" ability, he'd be just another Fett. Curious how you's justify Wrist cable while he's supposedly flying .... Slave Fire Support; who's he supporting If Jango's flying it?? 30 damage possibly x2 is a little excessive.

GG - Fenn Rau. Not sure I agree about Vambraces being an ability of a pilot (Like the ability though.) CE matches up well for what he is.)

EmpDragon - Ekwesh. Multiple Personalities; live or die with them. For me, the chance of Not getting wjat I want outweighs the good I could get, but gutsy idea of offering it up. Interesting idea.

spry - Jaina. Don't remeber the nickname (haven't those books in over ten years) so not sure what to say; Blaster Barrage & Speed make sense, but moreso together and she doesn't have MOTF.

jak - K2SO. Again as I've looked at others, not sure what to say. Other than the "Pilot" ability, nothing very "Pilot-y" about it.

Interesting group of customs. Gonna have to think it out some.

Peace,

surf
shmi15
Posted: Monday, May 7, 2018 10:33:18 AM

I think your confusing the ability Flight... And Pilot. Flight in my eyes, is what your thinking of. In the air, and doing things. Pilots, just means its capable of flying. I mean, just because Han Solo isn't in the Falcon, doesn't mean he isn't a Pilot. He is still a Pilot, just not in... Flight.

I do agree, The Pilot SA was one of the worst SA ever made, and it makes no sense, but neither does anything bigger than a Large in a skirmish game. Its a huge flaw within the game, and one that will never be fixed. So we press forward anyways
surf_rider56
Posted: Monday, May 7, 2018 10:49:41 AM

shmi15 wrote:
I think your confusing the ability Flight... And Pilot. Flight in my eyes, is what your thinking of. In the air, and doing things. Pilots, just means its capable of flying. I mean, just because Han Solo isn't in the Falcon, doesn't mean he isn't a Pilot. He is still a Pilot, just not in... Flight.

I do agree, The Pilot SA was one of the worst SA ever made, and it makes no sense, but neither does anything bigger than a Large in a skirmish game. Its a huge flaw within the game, and one that will never be fixed. So we press forward anyways

No, I know the difference Cool

But the Pilot ability seems to give carte blanche, or an excuse, to give otherwise ordinary/useless figures a new ability that they shouldn't have ... and that's another discussion.

But if the contest is about "Pilots" then I'm grading them on what they do when flying ... just my two cents/interpretation of this CCC.
Lord_Ball
Posted: Monday, May 7, 2018 11:39:06 AM

surf_rider56 wrote:

Pilots have always bothered me. They're supposed to be "Elite" in some way and can do things almost as well as a
commando. Why?? They fly, but they're not infantry.

I can sympathize with that - hence a big reason I created my Ace Pilot ability and slap it on every Unique I want to make their Piloting skills be front and center. Sure they can still "Go Commando", but they really shine at the helm!

I agree that it is wordy and semi-complicated (I say semi, as it's not really any more complicated than other complex abilities, and I believe my glossary for it clarifies most questions about it).
EmporerDragon
Posted: Monday, May 7, 2018 2:23:02 PM

shmi15 wrote:

I do agree, The Pilot SA was one of the worst SA ever made, and it makes no sense,

I wouldn't consider it one of the worst SAs out there, but I will say it seems to have gotten a bit out of hand. In the beginning, it was just an extra designation like Trooper, allowing for a small boost to select batches for more of a themed squad, but it eventually got to the point where it was getting slapped on in ways that felt like they were just trying to fill up room on the card (Darth Krayt being a great example). And then, we started giving pilots a little too much love, making them a bit of a quagmire to design around now.

Anyways, for the vote:

3) General Grievous
2) spryguy1981
1) Shmi15
jen'ari
Posted: Monday, May 7, 2018 4:11:51 PM

1) shmi15

2) Jak

3) surfrider
General_Grievous
Posted: Monday, May 7, 2018 6:00:37 PM

I think it's always been tricky to reflect Pilots in this game as without their ships they're just people with perhaps heightened reflexes. As far as being affected by melee, Emperor nailed it I think, how many times have we seen Anakin leaps onto STAP speeders flying on for a strafing run, and I feel like I've seen the odd super leaping and attacking hero taking out a low-flying strafing fighter in Battlefront. That's the key for me, is in space for sure they can't hit it, but if the fighter is helping with a strafing run then it makes sense that they would be flying low to deliver precision shots.
But I'm cool with either representation. Also for my own piece clearly Vambraces, while thematic, may have to come at a cost for Sabine instead of just helping out a solid character, but come on she is the most broken Star Wars character from Rebels, capable of everything haha.

Oakel, this is the Jango Fett from AotC, great job!

Emperor, very interesting piece, on the one hand super outside the box and creative ability and few abilities. Obviously it's a bit wordy and a straight one ability or the other is simpler, but very creative! And I think on a unique it works.

LB, I really like the boost for Crawlers, ace pilot is a bit wordy but solid stuff

Koba, pretty cool character, and dire is interesting though could be tricky to remember

Jen, great boost to 501st, theme-wise did all Clone fly? Or were they specialized. Seems like Rex and the battlefront troopers are all cross-trained

Shmi, This is the Last Jedi Rey in her pilot form, though she was more of a gunner and Chewie was flying haha, but still great stuff

CHS, really like all of the pilot-themed abilities here. Excellent work!

Surf, huge and well executed, nice job!

Spry, cool all around Fighter true to the character she was.

Jak, you could probably drop rival now that he's in Rebels. But the rest looks great.

3rd CHS
2nd Surf
1st Oakel
surf_rider56
Posted: Monday, May 7, 2018 7:00:57 PM

Ok, long and short ....

3rd Place - GG

2nd Place - Jen

1st Place - LB