RegisterDonateLogin

Wonderful! You are now a part of the tribe. (Just what you always wanted.)

Welcome Guest Active Topics | Members

CCC Week 114 - Build a Better Mando Options
surf_rider56
Posted: Monday, July 16, 2018 8:50:00 PM
Groups: Member

The Mandalorians are a Warrior culture, yet their individual soldiers (in our game at least) are for the most part crap without a good CE, and why are Death Watch troopers such big deals when they were in such a tiny time frame considering the Mando's have been around so long … and isn't it interesting that the Commando (usually considered to be a Darn good soldier,) isn't worth much or rather limited on its own?

Having said all this, lets build the perfect Mando trooper, someone who needs minimal CE or Unique SA's to be good.

Some rules.

Must be Mando alone (No Sith Affinity.) NO Uniques (duhhh)

No more than 19 pts. (giving them a chance to actually have 3-4 in a squad.

No more than six abilities (… no Melee, most Mando's were Not Melee.)

No Commanders, strictly grunts and No Force abilities.

I won once when I made the baseline Jedi; lets see who can make a baseline Mando soldier.

1. The character must be canon (Legends OK) and from the chosen faction when required. They can have affinity, but the character must start in the chosen faction.

2. You may update any existing versions you already have and/or create a new one. You may update/create several versions of the character but you must ultimately select 1 you wish to run with. (this must be done by the schedule below)

3. Place a hyperlink in this forum to make it easier to find your character. You can just post the stats or image here but if changes are needed it would be easier (and save space) if you just used a Hyperlink (If you don't know how to post Hyperlinks in a forum setting please ask and we will help you. It's not hard )

4. Voting works as follows, pick your three favorite customs based on accuracy to the character, design, balance or whatever you decide makes the best incarnation of the challenge character. First place receives 3 points, 2nd place receives 2 points, and 3rd place receives 1 point.

5. You do not have to enter the contest in order to vote. But unless you enter you must have at lest 10 forum posts.

6. To make things fair you must vote in order to win the contest. You must choose three characters entered in the contest and you may not rate or vote for your own character.

7. The winner will be decided by how many points they receive. Ties will be broken by most 1st place votes, then if still tied, 2nd place votes and then 3rd place votes. If still tied, then the outcome is a tie.

8. You may not change or update the entered character AFTER the deadline.

You will have until Sat, July 21st, 2018 @8pm EST to get your submissions in. Anything submitted after this point will not be included in the voting.

Voting will start at 8pm on Saturday evening and end at 11pm EST on Monday, July 23rd, 2018.

At the conclusion of the voting the scores will be tallied and the winner will start a new topic with their choice of theme.

Gentlemen, start you engines.
SithBot
Posted: Tuesday, July 17, 2018 5:53:54 AM

General_Grievous
Posted: Tuesday, July 17, 2018 6:22:43 AM

Trying to recreate the KOTOR Mandalorians you ran into on Kashyyk/Dantooine which was my first exposure to Mandalorians:

http://www.bloomilk.com/Custom/33210/mandalorian-bandit
jen'ari
Posted: Tuesday, July 17, 2018 6:27:51 AM

surf_rider56
Posted: Tuesday, July 17, 2018 6:58:20 AM

Well, what the problem here is of course that all Mando's should actually have their "Mando" armor, so I took artistic license, gave him a slightly higher Defense than 15 or 16 and didn't actually use the Armor to save an SA space.

Mandalorian Assault Trooper

I used the "Assault Trooper" moniker because the Assault Troopers in war were the elite fighters specializing in attacking house to house …. you kow, like attacking a Jedi Temple room to room RollEyes

It always annoyed me that Mandos never had grenades; Boba had missles but regular Mando's didn't use grenades?
Mando's always seemed shortchanged, so here's my attempt at a more definitive Mando.

Cheers,

surf
EmporerDragon
Posted: Tuesday, July 17, 2018 7:28:28 AM

Not keeping things simple as usual, I whipped up this guy, a solid shooter who punishes players that don't believe in squad diversity.
http://www.bloomilk.com/Custom/33213/mandalorian-hunter
jen'ari
Posted: Tuesday, July 17, 2018 8:42:02 AM

@surf, I enjoy Concussive Blast quite a bit. The damage output is minimal with a 7 attack and one shot. I don't know if this is the "Mando Soldier" that we are supposed to make, looks more gimmicky to me than soldier.

He will mostly be used for Special Abilities and not really "fighting" I would only ever take one of these guy in my army (although I do think he is a fun addition).
Oakel
Posted: Tuesday, July 17, 2018 9:04:44 AM

My vision was for the Mandalorian warriors that were the foundation of their warrior culture, prizing martial prowess especially in hand-to-hand, close-knit to their clans, and whose armor defined the Mandalorian identity in the galaxy.

Soldier of Mandalore
gandalfthegreatestwizard
Posted: Tuesday, July 17, 2018 1:20:45 PM
Groups: Member , Moderator

Here's my stab at the topic. This guy represents the True Mandos as seen in Jango Fett: Open Seasons. Surf'll probably say aggressively costed at best and like 15 pts undercosted at worst, but I plead that this CCC's entries are supposed to be actually good Mando grunts unlike most of the ones we have already.

http://www.bloomilk.com/Custom/33209/true-mandalorian-supercommando
Caedus
Posted: Tuesday, July 17, 2018 1:46:33 PM

surf_rider56
Posted: Tuesday, July 17, 2018 4:32:09 PM

gandalfthegreatestwizard wrote:
Here's my stab at the topic. This guy represents the True Mandos as seen in Jango Fett: Open Seasons. Surf'll probably say aggressively costed at best and like 15 pts undercosted at worst, but I plead that this CCC's entries are supposed to be actually good Mando grunts unlike most of the ones we have already.

http://www.bloomilk.com/Custom/33209/true-mandalorian-supercommando

Well, you ARE aggressively costed, but its Only 12, not 15. Heck MIne is aggressively costed; mine came out 21 and I made it 19, but 2 pts isn't ridiculous & within +/- 5 that IMO is acceptable.
surf_rider56
Posted: Tuesday, July 17, 2018 5:45:27 PM

I'm noticing a pattern where Ambush and Cloaked are on almost Everyone's character, except Sithbot's (which was undecosted by 12) and Oakel who managed to cost it pretty decently with an Early Mando take (nicely done by the way.)

Peace,

surf
shmi15
Posted: Tuesday, July 17, 2018 7:53:13 PM

Here is mine. Cloaked seems like a must in this scenario, its hard to not play a Cloaked Mando team.

http://www.bloomilk.com/Custom/33215/death-watch-elite-trooper
surf_rider56
Posted: Tuesday, July 17, 2018 8:19:56 PM

A Repeat from a custom character comment I made earlier (and don't want to repeat every custom …)

"Its really not so much the cost that's the "problem," but custom makers are between a rock and a hard place between what the V-Setters do when low-balling costs and giving it what it is "worth" game-wise and then looking too much like a fan-boy. I have No Answer when comparing a piece from the V-Sets; all I can do as a custom maker is float out what it Should cost; That's on me, that's where I come from and despite what GG says about me being King of Costing … noone's dead and I'm Not in Charge! :) "

I as a custom maker have to weigh all kinds of things. Apologies to shmi, jak or jen; can't remember who I had this discussion with.

I don't try to create to fit the meta, I don't always worry about if its playable. An excellent example is shmi's Mud Trooper from the last CCC; it was a heck of a good character, but it wasn't really playable. Should that stop custom makers from Making? NO! Each individual has to draw their own line, realistic cost, or a "playable" cost (which while I have no proof, I suspect is what the V-Setters aim for.)

I roll with what I think is a realistic cost; as I said above, that's on me. I personally think a +/-5 should always apply but again that's me. Too undercosted and I'll look at you and say its too fanboy … but that's on me too Wink

Back to the real world,

Peace

surf
jen'ari
Posted: Tuesday, July 17, 2018 8:29:35 PM

Surf, I believe it is time you relooked at your cost calculator. Your cost calculator makes every piece a power 8 at best.
If you day you want playable good characters they need to be a power 8.5 or higher. Power 8 is Dash Rendar in that's world.

You put a ton of stock in the cost calculator and i think you are wrong on a lot of them. But the cost calculator seems to be the most talked about thing. Siyhbot undercoated by 12? You want it to cost 31?

Please go look at 31 point pieces or lower.
Mira of nar shadda, morrigan corde, aayla secura, ganner rhysode, kelborn, Luke RC, Dash Rendar, Barriss Offee, Alema Rar (24), all the ERC's, etc.

Which are all power 8 and above some power 9.5 imo.

Sithbots piece is nowhere near that level at all. Using those as comparison how piece at 31 is a power 5.

Edit: wrote mine before I saw yours.

Looking at your post it just comes off selfish imo to hold onto the "past" when the game has moved on.

Is it fanboy-ing? Absolutely someone's I think designers get fanboy-ish. But if the parameters are to make it "good" then you have to change the way you cost. A good piece is a power 8 or above. You see power considerable to the game as it is. Unless you say "design a piece for the game before v-sets"
TheHutts
Posted: Tuesday, July 17, 2018 10:31:35 PM

How does the Mando Scout come out on your cost calculator Surf_Rider? That's a WOTC piece that's ten years old and I think it's still the gold standard for non-unique Mandos around its price point. Cloaked, Opportunist and Double/GMA are amazing SAs, and 50hp is also strong.
surf_rider56
Posted: Wednesday, July 18, 2018 7:04:31 AM

TheHutts wrote:
How does the Mando Scout come out on your cost calculator Surf_Rider? That's a WOTC piece that's ten years old and I think it's still the gold standard for non-unique Mandos around its price point. Cloaked, Opportunist and Double/GMA are amazing SAs, and 50hp is also strong.

The Mando scout is 24, which is within the +/-5 I use.

Edit: Should have said 24, not 34 (which is why I said within the +/-5 I use. My Bad.)
General_Grievous
Posted: Wednesday, July 18, 2018 8:04:44 AM

surf_rider56 wrote:
TheHutts wrote:

The Mando scout is 34, which is within the +/-5 I use.

But he's 19 points?haha
jen'ari
Posted: Wednesday, July 18, 2018 8:12:10 AM

surf_rider56 wrote:
TheHutts wrote:

This is kind of my point. 34 points from the cost calculator makes the Mando Scout a power 6 at best. He would not see play even in a "tier 2" game.

He is almost double the cost.

The Mando Scout does not see competitive play right now as a non-unique (Bastila hurts him quite a bit) but even without the Bastila threat he is not super competitive right now. I think he is tier 1.5 when played by a great player.

34 points - 5 = 29. Even on the super low end of your calculator he is a power 7 at best. The scout is the "gatekeeper" for Mando non-uniques and is probably a power 8 (Base 10 damage is just so hard to play with) and he is so dependent on other power-ups.
surf_rider56
Posted: Wednesday, July 18, 2018 8:52:42 AM

jen'ari wrote:
surf_rider56 wrote:
TheHutts wrote:

This is kind of my point. 34 points from the cost calculator makes the Mando Scout a power 6 at best. He would not see play even in a "tier 2" game.

He is almost double the cost.

The Mando Scout does not see competitive play right now as a non-unique (Bastila hurts him quite a bit) but even without the Bastila threat he is not super competitive right now. I think he is tier 1.5 when played by a great player.

34 points - 5 = 29. Even on the super low end of your calculator he is a power 7 at best. The scout is the "gatekeeper" for Mando non-uniques and is probably a power 8 (Base 10 damage is just so hard to play with) and he is so dependent on other power-ups.

Actually, it was 24 (which is why I said its within the +/-5 bit.) My bad … continue with your rant ...