RegisterDonateLogin

Recommends never trying to milk a rancor.

Welcome Guest Active Topics | Members

GenCon Champs Challenge to the SWM Community! Options
DarthMaim
Posted: Monday, July 30, 2018 2:55:49 AM
Groups: Member

I issue a formal challenge to everyone in the 2018 SWM Championship this year at GenCon...……………………………………………………………….

Win the Champs not playing either Imperials or Rebels! Let's see some change in our game! Challenge yourself ladies and gentlemen. These are the 2 dominant factions since 2004, and they have won the most G'Con champs!

Come on! I know someone can do it! With all the 15 virtual sets that have been done now since Wizards reign, to help balance our game, can someone please demonstrate that it can be done more consistently with other factions? Yes I know that OR, Mandos, Republic, and NR have won before. But throw us another bone here, and show us that these other faction victories were not just one off flukes.

My Kingdom for another faction victory this year. I know someone has it in them ThumbsUp

"Help us Obi-Wan Kenobi. You're our only hope."
jak
Posted: Monday, July 30, 2018 3:38:19 AM

Confused what faction R U playing @ GenCon??
jen'ari
Posted: Monday, July 30, 2018 4:50:38 AM

It would be nice to see. But I don't know how it can happen unless the and imperial squads are just not used.

Daala and thrawn are still top of the list.

Rebels have so many tricks. Ghost crew could potentially win gencon over other factions (sad).

But I am curious about New Republic (but maybe next year is there year?)
I am also curious about some powerful OR.

Best tier: Rebel, Imperial
Close: New Republic
High Average: Mando's, Old Republic
Low Average: Republic, Fringe
Below Average: Sith, Separatists

But I suspect a lot of people to bring tier 1.5 squads like last year.

@jak I am playing Republic or New Republic. My stinky house loan is taking forever to figure out. But closing is set for Thursday so.... I have to know before then if underwriting accepted the loan.
TimmerB123
Posted: Monday, July 30, 2018 9:08:25 AM

jen'ari wrote:

Close: New Republic
High Average: Mando's, Old Republic
Low Average: Republic, Fringe
Below Average: Sith, Separatists

Where is Vong?

Seps are underrated. Look at the NZ champs. Still tough as nails.

Mandos have too many bad matchups. Bastila castrates them, and high mobility + high acts can cut their achilles.

Republic is not now nor ever been low average.

OR has been conspicuously absent in the Regionals (especially Ven). It is definitely in the mix.

In the same rating system I'd say:

Close: New Republic, Old Republic
High Average: Republic, Separatists
Low Average: Vong, Fringe, Mandos
Below Average: Sith

It would really surprise me if Sith win, but anything else would not be a shock. There is great stuff in every faction. Match-ups will be key. With low numbers, it will kind of be a crap shoot.
jen'ari
Posted: Monday, July 30, 2018 10:06:05 AM

Old Republic is High Average at best. Its best squads are Triple Ven and Hex Droids. Which are great squads, but I do not see them being "Close" to New Republic, Rebels, and Imperials. (they have out activation and cheap, good tech that includes powerful movement breakers and defense).

Republic is low average because everyone plays Yoda and Cin/Serra. Cin/Serra is simply devastated by Disrutpive and is typically out activated decently easily. Yoda can always be dangerous but never seems to be enough to close out a top tier torunament, People are wise to kill R2 and the squad type has been played against so many times it takes a top Kybuck player to make it far, imo. Spry is a great Kybuck player.
I think ERC's are the only way to go. Here is an ERC build that I think would do well. not totally obliterated by Disrutpive.
http://www.bloomilk.com/Squad/187363/gencon-republic--together-we-stand

Vong can fall anywhere depending on match up, they are truly Average imo. but I do not like discussing them very much.

I am rooting for New Republic this year.

P.S. what would your Separatist squad be that makes it High Average?
Caedus
Posted: Monday, July 30, 2018 12:32:15 PM

Don't play totally legal squads that have the greatest chance of winning? Sounds great, but would be absolute Lunacy.
General_Grievous
Posted: Monday, July 30, 2018 1:24:35 PM

Wheelbike + Snipers/Spotters used to be top tier until they lost their ability to move before initiative. Lancers, yuck never played them but got shut down from Buzz Droids. Dooku was solid but the double nerf to poggle bombs knocked him down a tier. Huges still aren't there yet, and I don't count Sep Black Sun squads because they feels fringe haha.

That being said Battle Droids finally got their first Disruptive/ABM-proof CE so may have a potent squad there, and Dooku is still good, it's trying to find the 100 points of support that are best with him. And somehow fit in Grievous because he's just so cool hahaha. Vong definitely have what it takes, but who will bring them? I'm way to north to come participate but looking forward to the play report and standings. Get some!
FlyingArrow
Posted: Monday, July 30, 2018 2:51:17 PM
Groups: Member , Moderator

jen'ari wrote:
P.S. what would your Separatist squad be that makes it High Average?

Daman just went undefeated in Swiss of NZ champs using Durge, Poggle bombs, 2 Snipers, and a Spotter (plus Lobot/MTB engine).
jen'ari
Posted: Monday, July 30, 2018 3:01:56 PM

I saw that.
People like Daman, tint, Urbanjedi, and deathsbaine winning does not give much information. They can win with almost anything.
Also, I am very curious who he played (squads). Poggle bombs are always going to be problematic. But there just seems to be a decent amount of counters to this squad.

I can't see all the nz squads from that fb link thing
gandalfthegreatestwizard
Posted: Monday, July 30, 2018 3:33:32 PM

jen'ari wrote:
I saw that.
People like Daman, tint, Urbanjedi, and deathsbaine winning does not give much information. They can win with almost anything.
Also, I am very curious who he played (squads). Poggle bombs are always going to be problematic. But there just seems to be a decent amount of counters to this squad.

I can't see all the nz squads from that fb link thing

He won against Will's Imperial Echani Haindmaidens round 2. Then he beat Ian's Vader of Lothal / 100pt Palps/ Kylo/ Death Trooper, and he also beat my Talon squad with Boba, Mira and Morrigan (if I had played better I would likely have won though). I don't know what he played against in the first round, though.
TimmerB123
Posted: Monday, July 30, 2018 10:11:58 PM

General_Grievous wrote:
Wheelbike + Snipers/Spotters used to be top tier until they lost their ability to move before initiative.

Still top tier. Talked to Daman about his undefeated NZ squad. He said EV-9D9 would only slow him down a little. She really didn't stress him much.

General_Grievous wrote:
Lancers, yuck never played them but got shut down from Buzz Droids.
And thank god. Even as someone who had tons of success with Lancers - they needed to go away.

General_Grievous wrote:
Dooku was solid but the double nerf to poggle bombs knocked him down a tier.
Poggle Bombs are still viable (again - see Daman's squad)

General_Grievous wrote:
Huges still aren't there yet
Agreed

General_Grievous wrote:
and I don't count Sep Black Sun squads because they feels fringe haha.
They are still Seps. Flapper

There seems to be a prevalent misconception (not only you Grievous) that just because something was given a counter or adjusted by the balance team that makes it unplayable.

Poggle bombs - still good

Spotters/snipers - still good

Remember - Daala still won GenCon after multiple nerfs.

Get creative with the builds. Instead of throwing your arms up in defeat, try and see if you can still make it work.

Daman is proving it can be done. I was told that the Spotter/Sniper droids were completely useless now because of the existence of EV-9D9. I was told toggle bombs aren't worth using anymore. Our good friend from NZ is proving both of those wrong in one squad.

Beyond that - Grievous my man (and I hope you know I say this with a smile and in good nature) - open up your mind and learn to enjoy playing other factions and squad types. If something gets countered, try something new!ThumbsUp

TimmerB123
Posted: Monday, July 30, 2018 10:16:08 PM

General_Grievous wrote:
I'm way to north to come participate

Bummed you can't be there. (sincerely)

Tell the guys who flew in from New Zealand how far North is too far to come participate. (I jest in good fun)Wink Hey but seriously - they were in Canada for a few weeks before they came here for GenCon - you should ask them about it.
TheHutts
Posted: Monday, July 30, 2018 10:16:15 PM

I'd take EV9-D9 against a squad where the primary focus is BXs, but in Daman's squad, the primary focus is Durge, really, or at least there's a mix of three different threats. Can't really afford to spend 19 points on reinforcements just to slow down one of the three components of the squad.

Of the nerfed stuff, I'm kind of interested in how good Blast Bugs are now. They were super good before, but I'm sure there's still a competitive squad with them that would do really well in some metas.
TimmerB123
Posted: Monday, July 30, 2018 10:20:31 PM

TheHutts wrote:
I'd take EV9-D9 against a squad where the primary focus is BXs, but in Daman's squad, the primary focus is Durge, really, or at least there's a mix of three different threats. Can't really afford to spend 19 points on reinforcements just to slow down one of the three components of the squad.

Fully agreed. That was kind of the point of EV-9D9. It didn't kill them, it just made people think a little more.

TheHutts wrote:
Of the nerfed stuff, I'm kind of interested in how good Blast Bugs are now. They were super good before, but I'm sure there's still a competitive squad with them that would do really well in some metas.

Very curious as well. I wouldn't doubt we'll see some at GenCon. Don't think a scout swarm will fly now (ha!) - too much strafe and gallop. But I could see a nasty hybrid squad do well.
General_Grievous
Posted: Monday, July 30, 2018 10:26:08 PM

Fair points Timmer but with Poggle bombs I think you took me out of context, I was saying the Poggle Bombs nerf of no more 2 point characters and costlier Poggle made Dooku less effective since he lost his activation fodder and they work so well with his CE that you really notice the cut in drone numbers. Still alright but no longer top tier like it was. And agreed RIP Lancers and never return, I agreed to never play them again to not chase away players as they were such an NPE for people.

And I would like to see his squad out of curiousity. But that's cool he made it work for him. They're still good just not the top in my opinion since EV. Also you can't compare to Daala because as long as she has Prideful for Imperials she'll always be top tier, multiple nerds or not. Some nerfs are harder or lesser needed than others just as some pieces are simply always that good haha.

And I dabble in other squads from time to time, namely Vong but occasionally the others too. But I wouldn't be a very good General Grievous if I didn't heroically lead my Separatist forces into battle first and foremost! All hail the Confederacy!
gandalfthegreatestwizard
Posted: Monday, July 30, 2018 11:05:19 PM

General_Grievous wrote:
And I would like to see his squad out of curiousity.

Here's the link:

http://www.bloomilk.com/Squad/164787/dire-strafes--i-want-my-mtb-
TheHutts
Posted: Tuesday, July 31, 2018 12:19:23 AM

gandalfthegreatestwizard wrote:
General_Grievous wrote:
And I would like to see his squad out of curiousity.

Here's the link:

http://www.bloomilk.com/Squad/164787/dire-strafes--i-want-my-mtb-

If my maths is right, he could have had 18 drone in that squad, but now he has 10. It's a lot less obscene this way.
deltabravo7
Posted: Tuesday, July 31, 2018 12:37:37 AM

Darn it I wish I could go to GENCON to play SWM. Hopefully I can go next year maybe. I am looking for other SWM players in my area. I live in Irmo South Carolina. going to all the local gaming conventions and will be prepared for battle if I can see anyone playing. If interested in playing and can go to these conventions, that would be awesome:

Mega Moose Con in Richburg SC August 24-26, 2018.
Mace Gaming Con in Charlotte, NC November 9-11, 2018
Scarab Gaming Con in Columbia, SC January 18-21, 2019

I posted these to hopefully find other players to play Star Wars Miniatures or meet and greet and have local area meet ups to play.
General_Grievous
Posted: Tuesday, July 31, 2018 1:28:50 AM

Looks like a sound squad thanks for the link! And seems to have a bit of everything. Again my point was about Dooku specifically as squads with him + Force user to teach + Poggle leaves you very few drones or points for other support.
FlyingArrow
Posted: Tuesday, July 31, 2018 4:57:11 AM

Spryguy is down that way. Within driving distance anyway.