RegisterDonateLogin

Has been fought over since the formation of the Republic.

Welcome Guest Active Topics | Members

GenCon 2018 Event Updates and Reports Options
Deaths_Baine
Posted: Sunday, August 5, 2018 4:10:38 PM
Groups: Member

DarthRattlehead wrote:
Since gencon is “the best 4 days in gaming” , I think was pretty successful :)
I for one had a great time and the matcch ups were all challenging and fun.

Objective met :)

Now for the plane ride home.. woooohooo

Awesome... I am going to gencon next year wearing a I'm deathsbaine shirtso everyone can put a face to the man they hate. Hope to see you there
DarthMaim
Posted: Sunday, August 5, 2018 6:11:23 PM

Game was played about 1am after a long day of gaming. One of the last moves in the final round in a tight game, Player A killed a major piece of Player B and ran around a corner. Then player B deliberated, drew several lines of sight, and found a line to use a scrub to attack Player A's piece that had just killed his piece. Player B rolled the magic number, (luck finally turned around!) and killed Player A's piece. The crowd (err - half dozen people) gasped. Player A removed the piece from the board and said "good game". Player B stared in shock at what had just happened. "Did that really just happen!?!" (He said thrice!) "Did I just Win Gen Con? That's the craziest finish ever!" There was a smattering of tired applause (a couple short claps really) as the players shook hands.

I will break this down of what should have happened here;

1. Game Should not have taken place at 1am!!!!!!!!!!

2. As player B was drawing SEVERAL lines of sight, player A should have said to player B, I haven't done my second activation yet! Fact is, he didn't say anything there, and waited for player B as he deliberated, picked up his die, and rolled!

3. After the players shook hands, official should have said, this game is over, player A conceded, this game is over. Player B is the 2018 SWM 200pt GenCon Champion!

This is the championship ladies and gentlemen. Not a pick-up game, not a "for fun" game, not a casual play game. Rules are rules. You have to be proactive, and speak up the second your opponent is violating a rule, and tell the judge! Where was the judge at such a critical, pivotal, game deciding moment? Why didn't the judge say, wait player B, player A needs to do his 2nd activation!

I drank my medicine in 2006 when I lost in the final, due to firmly in place rules! Sorry guys and James to second guess you, but this was " A Grievous Error", and certainly taints this years championship!

( PS I still love you James! You rock for all you hard work! BlooMilk )

trappedslider
Posted: Sunday, August 5, 2018 9:45:25 PM

DarthMaim wrote:

This is the championship ladies and gentlemen. Not a pick-up game, not a "for fun" game, not a casual play game.

In brutal honesty there really ISN'T anything on the line anymore,there's no prize pay out. so it REALLY has become a scheduled pick up game more or less. Without a set in stone everybody follows it, tournament document like DCI has, and some sort of judge certification and perhaps an actual prize on the line, it's just going to remain a quasi-casual set time gathering to play SWM.
jen'ari
Posted: Sunday, August 5, 2018 9:59:58 PM

trappedslider wrote:
DarthMaim wrote:

This is the championship ladies and gentlemen. Not a pick-up game, not a "for fun" game, not a casual play game.

In brutal honesty there really ISN'T anything on the line anymore,there's no prize pay out. so it REALLY has become a scheduled pick up game more or less. Without a set in stone everybody follows it, tournament document like DCI has, and some sort of judge certification and perhaps an actual prize on the line, it's just going to remain a quasi-casual set time gathering to play SWM.

If that is the case then people ought to treat it that way. But I really don't think that is how the "competitors" feel about it.

There are lots of people who hold gencon to the same level it had always been at on the competitive stage. I know many people talk about the differences between gencon and a regional.
Regionals are truly casual in nature, but I feel like this year the squads that were brought to regionals would sowere more competitive than last year.

I think if choosing between having gencon feel like a regional or having gencon feel like a national championship was put to the community it would be a resounding "national championship"

@darthmaim. BlooMilk BlooMilk

Truly well spoken.
I had a graduate professor tell the class all the time "this isn't Mickey mouse clubhouse" when some student would ask for help or extra time.
I think most people feel the same way.
"This year it was tainted, but they did the best they could respecting both people's wishes, but let's get some rulings in place so this doesn't happen next year, but in the mean time let's watch it on vassal!."
You know what would be amazing? If every gencon final we had two observers "play the game" on vassal. One representing one player and one the other. Move pieces, type in big events like "kills ..." Or "crits"
Nothing crazy so they can still enjoy the match but it would be fun.

shmi15
Posted: Monday, August 6, 2018 5:27:24 AM

Oh this championship is tainted alright.

The moment you allow the Championship game to be replayed, after someone concedes, but do not allow Caedus to be in the top 6, would've been #2 in the top 6 completely changing who plays who in the finals, then its done and over.

Poor poor Caedus, I wish people would've felt bad for him, and let him in the top 6 because of a gaming error. I guess TN is the only group who cares about that mistake.

Either way, a fantastic proposal for next year, Lets do the championships NOT at Gencon... Just have Gencon be a "glorified tournament and gathering"

Do a tournament at some semi central location, charge 15-20$ to enter, 1st place gets 70-75% of the money for winning, 2nd gets 25-30%.

If you did 20$ an entry, and got 16 like this year, and did the 75/25 pay out... Then the winner would get 300$, and 2nd would get 100$.

Call me crazy, but that would inspire way more people to follow the rules, play top tier squads, and might even get more people to come out, especially if the pot kept building because people were intrigued to play a game with high level competition.

But as is, people are paying, what 300 + to get into Gencon? And then paying another 20? To get into the Championships without any chance of making money back?

Money speaks... In all countries and games. Lets work a system out, and get next years championship to be played and lets actually pay the champions from now on!
Echo24
Posted: Monday, August 6, 2018 6:46:35 AM

shmi15 wrote:

But as is, people are paying, what 300 + to get into Gencon?

Anyway, fact is, SWM isn't a highly competitive game anymore. And that's fine. If you want to play something cutthroat, there are lots of other games, but the community for this game is so tiny I believe most people prefer it to be friendlier, even at the expense of that super high level of competition.

People might enjoy a more competitive event. Host one yourself and see. But I get the impression that most people are happy with SWM going this way.
jew3
Posted: Monday, August 6, 2018 7:09:54 AM

trappedslider wrote:

In brutal honesty there really ISN'T anything on the line anymore,there's no prize pay out. so it REALLY has become a scheduled pick up game more or less.

We have a prize payout. I spend a lot of time and energy coming up ideas for prize support. This year we had artwork for 3rd-6th, sealed Dark Times boosters for 3rd and fourth, a sealed Clone Strike booster and 2 artworks from a well known artist and first got a sealed Force Unleashed booster and a custom drawn Star Wars #1 comic.

If you are looking for a cash payout at GenCon it won’t happen. We aren’t a large company, we can't have a huge payout and the GenCon event host policy has strict guidelines about how payouts are to be handled and described on the event listing. Not to mention the fact that we have to rent the space from GenCon so a part of the ticket money goes to them directly.

I’m sorry that you don’t like the prize support, and I’m open to new ideas, but a cash payout won’t happen at GenCon.
Caedus
Posted: Monday, August 6, 2018 7:34:28 AM

jew3 wrote:
trappedslider wrote:

In brutal honesty there really ISN'T anything on the line anymore,there's no prize pay out. so it REALLY has become a scheduled pick up game more or less.

We have a prize payout. I spend a lot of time and energy coming up ideas for prize support. This year we had artwork for 3rd-6th, sealed Dark Times boosters for 3rd and fourth, a sealed Clone Strike booster and 2 artworks from a well known artist and first got a sealed Force Unleashed booster and a custom drawn Star Wars #1 comic.

And those of us that made the trip thank you for that.
jen'ari
Posted: Monday, August 6, 2018 8:00:13 AM

The game being casual is the path it is taking, but the question is should the national championship be casual?
I think that would be a resounding no.

As for prize support, I don't really care about $300, the unique prize support is the way to go. I do think that people paying a bit of money to make finding unique ways to do prize support.

I want something signed by Carrie Fisher
trappedslider
Posted: Monday, August 6, 2018 8:46:40 AM

jew3 wrote:
trappedslider wrote:

If you are looking for a cash payout at GenCon it won’t happen. We aren’t a large company, we can't have a huge payout and the GenCon event host policy has strict guidelines about how payouts are to be handled and described on the event listing. Not to mention the fact that we have to rent the space from GenCon so a part of the ticket money goes to them directly.

I’m sorry that you don’t like the prize support, and I’m open to new ideas, but a cash payout won’t happen at GenCon.

I honestly wasn't aware of the prize support so I stand corrected, my comment wasn't meant to be an attack and if it came across that way sorry.
Deaths_Baine
Posted: Monday, August 6, 2018 8:47:20 AM

jew3 wrote:
trappedslider wrote:

Dude.... Jew3... that is legit. I would love to have artworks hanging in my house. I had a limited edition painting from Guild Wars for beta testing and it was awesome. this inspires me to go even more then allowing people to hate me in person.

My only recommendation would be to allow them to pick the prizes in order of winners if possible, gencon may not allow that I guess from your post. I would much rather have the artwork then the comic.
AceAce
Posted: Monday, August 6, 2018 1:13:47 PM

Look, I have heard about a Tennessee game group, but never encountered anyone outside of Bronson. Would be great if you came and brought your skillz to a big tourney.
jen'ari
Posted: Monday, August 6, 2018 1:44:32 PM

Yes!! Call us out. I am trying to get them to gencon next year. (As well as myself)
The time is now, the game is fun right now.

But seeing poggle bombs, daala, and act out smash still maintain control is a little offsetting. But I think there are chances to beat it these days.

I can't travel to other regionals, but if TN guys wanted to do a regional on a weekend when I would already be in town.....

Or next early summer, late spring (between club soccer and high school) I can see if anyone is interested in an East Coast regional. 35 minutes from topsail beach. And see if TN can come over for that.
FlyingArrow
Posted: Tuesday, August 7, 2018 12:03:51 PM
Groups: Member , Moderator

Can threads be moved? This should probably be in the Events forum.
swinefeld
Posted: Tuesday, August 7, 2018 12:19:27 PM

FlyingArrow wrote:
Can threads be moved? This should probably be in the Events forum.

moved
adamb0nd
Posted: Tuesday, August 7, 2018 12:29:10 PM

jen'ari wrote:

But seeing poggle bombs, daala, and act out smash still maintain control is a little offsetting. But I think there are chances to beat it these days.

I expected to see much more of these during the championship. I built a squad to deal with them. I did run against 1 poggle bomb and did OK, but my other 3 opponents ran completely different squads.

Do you still play often? Are you seeing a lot of high act squads?