RegisterDonateLogin

When 900 years old Bloo Milk is, taste as good it will not.

Welcome Guest Active Topics | Members

GenCon 2018 Event Updates and Reports Options
jen'ari
Posted: Friday, August 3, 2018 8:30:39 AM
Groups: Member

shmi15 wrote:
Maybe someone played their squad wrong again.... lol

what does that mean?
shmi15
Posted: Friday, August 3, 2018 8:42:13 AM

There was a regional sometime this year that a squad was played wrong and it either made the finals or won it. Its actually pretty common for squads to be misplayed without anyone catching it till either after, or during the championship
jen'ari
Posted: Friday, August 3, 2018 8:45:42 AM

Oh, I thought something happened during this gencon. everyone throwing out that controversy word.
I do want to know more about that 50 minutes for 3 rounds in the 1st round after Swiss though.
shmi15
Posted: Friday, August 3, 2018 8:53:42 AM

jen'ari wrote:
Oh, I thought something happened during this gencon. everyone throwing out that controversy word.
I do want to know more about that 50 minutes for 3 rounds in the 1st round after Swiss though.

thats not that crazy. Thats how Minis used to be played. Lots of acts, no attacking, and positioning until the final round ( time limit) then you try and kill their Lobot ,lol.

Minis back in WOTC was very lame.
jen'ari
Posted: Friday, August 3, 2018 9:02:38 AM

No way that 3 rounds should ever take 50 minutes though right? Even if you have 20 activations. I thought there were rules for that kind of thing.
droidadmiral
Posted: Friday, August 3, 2018 9:20:57 AM

in the absence of knowledge and truth.... speculation and imagination runs rampant... we need an update!!
jen'ari
Posted: Friday, August 3, 2018 9:24:40 AM

droidadmiral wrote:
in the absence of knowledge and truth.... speculation and imagination runs rampant... we need an update!!

Definitely want an update.

I would settle for the other squads at gencon. I would settle even for a faction break down haha
shmi15
Posted: Friday, August 3, 2018 9:24:57 AM

jen'ari wrote:
No way that 3 rounds should ever take 50 minutes though right? Even if you have 20 activations. I thought there were rules for that kind of thing.

Back in the old days, 5 rounds was an impressive feat. Your allowed I think 2 minutes per turn. If you have 20 activations and act control, and so does your opponent, you could legally, get 1 round in.
jen'ari
Posted: Friday, August 3, 2018 9:32:10 AM

2 minutes per turn? That can't be right. Come on. Hahahaha no wonder those types of squads are so powerful. All the rules benefit squad type. Craziness.

If that is the rule I think before any changes to pieces occur we should change the 2 minute rule and see how that affects those playing those squads because sometimes it is a tad risky to have to play a tiny bit faster

@shmi15 where did you come up with that number?
droidadmiral
Posted: Friday, August 3, 2018 9:36:07 AM

ahhh speculation. there isn't a hard fast rule about how much time you have. You have to play in away that demonstrates you are trying to win which is to obtain 200 points. any other style of play.. stalling to only play 3 rounds swap at end of round 3 kill a mouse droid then win is cheating.
Echo24
Posted: Friday, August 3, 2018 9:44:32 AM

shmi15 wrote:
jen'ari wrote:

Back in the old days, 5 rounds was an impressive feat. Your allowed I think 2 minutes per turn. If you have 20 activations and act control, and so does your opponent, you could legally, get 1 round in.

None of this has ever been true.
shmi15
Posted: Friday, August 3, 2018 10:16:51 AM

Echo24 wrote:
shmi15 wrote:
jen'ari wrote:

None of this has ever been true.

You never played a match back when 20+ activation and act control was prominent, and it only lasted 3-5 rounds? Not once?
Echo24
Posted: Friday, August 3, 2018 10:19:40 AM

That’s literally not what you said. You said 5 rounds was “an impressive feat”. That has never, ever been true. (Edit: Never widely true. Obviously I can’t speak for every single SWM player in history, and maybe some person considered 5 rounds to be impressive, but in my experience 5 rounds has always been much closer to a minimum acceptable number than impressive, and most competitive games lasted 5+ rounds) And the 2 minute rule has also never been a thing, the only official rules about time were that you have to play at a pace to reach the build total in the time allotted (60 minutes).

If you want to say that 3-5 round matches happened one or more times in history, of course the answer is yes. That’s not your original claim, though.
droidadmiral
Posted: Friday, August 3, 2018 10:24:29 AM

Echo24 wrote:
That’s literally not what you said. You said 5 rounds was “an impressive feat”. That has never, ever been true. And the 2 minute rule has also never been a thing, the only official rules about time were that you have to play at a pace to reach the build total in the time allotted (60 minutes).

If you want to say that 3-5 round matches happened one or more times in history, of course the answer is yes. That’s not your original claim, though.

^^^^Play at a pace to reach 200 points has been the rule forever. the moment they ever set a definitive time limit it would lead to game fixing etc.

That being said... I remember tons of games only lasting 2-4 rounds and ending 100-60ish points
jen'ari
Posted: Friday, August 3, 2018 10:30:08 AM

I didnt see how a time limit would work.

Thanks for the clarification. @shmi15 you should not be yapping if you don't actually know what you are talking about. Speculating while sounding like you have a good idea of the rule is not something you should do easily. Since you have been around longer than I have I tend to think you would know more about the "old days".

#undocumented
Echo24
Posted: Friday, August 3, 2018 10:30:11 AM

I genuinely can’t ever recall even hearing about a 2 round game, and I think a 3 round game would have been exceedingly rare except for when one player concedes.

You’re right that low scores used to be pretty common, and most games didn’t get to the build total. That’s where the 3/2 scoring came from. But that was usually because of cagey play, less often because of slow play. Not that slow play NEVER happened, it definitely did, but I’d consider 3 or 4 rounds on the slow end, 5 or 6 rounds about average, 7+ rounds starts getting impressive.
shmi15
Posted: Friday, August 3, 2018 10:39:09 AM

I also remember tons of games going 3-5 rounds, at tournament's and everything. I couldn't start spouting the exact place or anything, but I'm sure a search of the history of regionals/ Gen on would show it. Do you remember the round count the year you won Gencon with tebels by any chance?
Echo24
Posted: Friday, August 3, 2018 10:46:27 AM

No, and I just looked up my write up of it and I didn’t really note the number of rounds per game. I do know that I won the Maryland regional the following year (2011) with Solo Charge, which often brought in 10 mouse droids with Lobot, and I went 7-0 with all 3 point wins. Graham Bingham and Jason are the only other players who have gotten 21 points in a regional (mostly because not long after that regionals got too small to play 5 rounds of Swiss).

I’ll even grant that 3-5 rounds was relatively common, but that’s still different than 5 rounds being impressive. I maintain that I wouldn’t have been impressed by a game that lasted fewer than 7 rounds, and 5 rounds was an average length. Remember, you get to finish whatever round you get to when time is called. Often my opponent and I would hurry to roll initiative before time expires to fit another round in.

Also, activation control shouldn’t matter. The length of a round should be based on the number of TURNS in that round, not PHASES. If it takes me on average 45 seconds per turn in a round and I have 20 activation, it doesn’t matter if that’s divided into 10 phases or 20 phases. I’ve never really understood that argument, although it’s always been a really common thing to say.
jen'ari
Posted: Friday, August 3, 2018 10:55:33 AM

Echo24 wrote:

Also, activation control shouldn’t matter. The length of a round should be based on the number of TURNS in that round, not PHASES. If it takes me on average 45 seconds per turn in a round and I have 20 activation, it doesn’t matter if that’s divided into 10 phases or 20 phases. I’ve never really understood that argument, although it’s always been a really common thing to say.

I disagree with this.

When planning to make 2 Turns in a phase you think of things collectively. As in you are thinking of your second move while thinking of your first (the combo).
When activating just 1 you are focused on that phase and what the opponnent will do before your next phase, etc etc. I do see how it makes sense that it will take more time to play more chances of being in control. Each time it is your turn you have to restart the "ok how have things changed" thoughts in the brain since you do not know exactly what your opponent just did.
Echo24
Posted: Friday, August 3, 2018 11:08:02 AM

*shrug* It never took me much longer to play whether I had activation control or not. You should be thinking a few moves ahead either way.