RegisterDonateLogin

Not as clumsy or random as a blaster.

Welcome Guest Active Topics | Members

GenCon 2018 Event Updates and Reports Options
General_Grievous
Posted: Saturday, August 4, 2018 5:08:21 AM
Groups: Member

swinefeld wrote:
All I can say is that I'm as much in the dark as anyone else here, fwiw. I truly have no info.

In the meantime, I will drop 3 Muun Guards for the Colonel and soundly defeat General Grievous in the (almost) mirror match.

All hail Little Egypt! Bomb Razz BlooMilk

Mechanical Curses! Foiled again by your Jedi witchery! I would have gotten away with it too if it wasn't for you meddling rules people!
jak
Posted: Saturday, August 4, 2018 5:35:05 AM

droidadmiral wrote:
jak wrote:
the championship round isn't always played on Thursday.

if you need to know every single thing so to f-ing bad, spends the money, and go to GenCon

don't care about your lame ass excuse on not going

Hey jak... shut up.

Signed

Droidadmiral

Hey DA
you're a dick

signed jak
jen'ari
Posted: Saturday, August 4, 2018 5:35:45 AM

I don't know what happened. But I do know that Tim post that he was about to start the game that night. I think the game did happen. just something else happened.

but who cares as long as Vader takes the finals all will be ok. I would hate for Suppressive Fire to win Gencon.
jak
Posted: Saturday, August 4, 2018 5:49:01 AM

jak wrote:

"Patience, you must learn patience"

I'm sure updates will be posted.

jen'ari
Posted: Saturday, August 4, 2018 5:56:13 AM

jak wrote:
jak wrote:

"Patience, you must learn patience"

I'm sure updates will be posted.

I am sure too Jak, that is not the problem I am having. It is just that no one knows. I know for a fact that text messages have been sent, but with just ZERO information. not "we are playing a different day" or "it went down, waiting to post" just no helpful info at all. It is quite unthoughtful at the very least.
AceAce
Posted: Saturday, August 4, 2018 6:03:33 AM

Oh, it's a controversy all right. Not just final game. But most of the finals. Different problems, some...
jen'ari
Posted: Saturday, August 4, 2018 6:13:27 AM

YES!!! love it! CONTROVERSY!

was it slow play? Governor not played right?
Battle Readied some non Imperials?
Who was the judge?

AceAce
Posted: Saturday, August 4, 2018 6:15:46 AM

Let me say, I played games in the Regionals this year and I played in 3 Regionals, that I had 8 or 9 rounds of gambit. Not low activation squads either. I played Lily who was running tempo San, Geonosians, Durge Speeder and we finished before time at GenCon and played 5 rounds. There was no slow play, we were ready when it was our turn. If I see another person count, recount, recount squares or measure over and over LOS, then spin Mas Ameda, or move a diplomat it will get ugly. We also, have to have a set time limit to set up, we had people taking more than 10 minutes EVERY new matchup to read cards, pick reinforcements, and set up...this was all day every new matchup. Sorry if I am rehashing but I just got a second to read before heading down.

There needs to be a 5 minute max setup and start and it needs to be rigid, that will place onus on the players to setup and no additional time will be granted. Steven was awesome as a judge, he wanted to be very fair knowing it was the Championship, and wanted everyone same time to play which I know is why he didn't warn them. He did go to the offending table(s) setting up and inquire about their readiness and stand by to hope they would speed up.

More to write later. I tested using a chess timer at a Regional this season and am going to use one religiously from now on. I will post my games and the amount of time myself and opponent used of the hour time limit. Maybe public shaming is the only way to go.
jen'ari
Posted: Saturday, August 4, 2018 6:32:31 AM

^^ I am sorry that that is the case. It is unfortunate to plan for a year to do something and people abuse the system. Sounds like Steven (I do not know him) was trying to be reasonable and courteous. Sometimes people "abuse courtesy".
I think a timer of sorts is definitely needed, but until a judge "puts the hamemr down" it will not mean much.

Someone needs to be disqualified or the real threat of being disqualified for it to stick across the community.
Kinf of like in soccer players encroaching on direct kicks are supposed to be given a yellow card, but judges not respecting the rule let them get away with cheating. Same thing with dives as well. Rules say that if a player dives he gets a yellow. How many times have we seen that with no yellow?

With that said we need to give our judges "ammunition" and a set guideline for how to prove someone is abusing the time limit.
I think a chess timer can help with that a whole lot. Than the judge issues a warning and than disqualified if it doesnt change.
This way Judges are not "going rogue" and can feel 100% confident in being more "pushy" with people who are bent on purposefully being slow.
This even goes for inexperienced players who are not trying to be purposefully slow, but are just second guessing themself. I thought I was good at chess playing at 10 minutes 15 seconds a move until I played at 5 minutes 5 seconds a move. It is a totally different beast. Players have an advantage that abuse time.
shmi15
Posted: Saturday, August 4, 2018 8:07:52 AM

So..... there was slow play at Gencon... And the Vong squad caused a disturbance in the Force that completely altered who should of been in the top 6, and who would've played who...

Only one solution. Do nothing. Or do something.

Lets make SWM Great again!

Start by

A. Banning the Vong, because they are completely ridiculous to try and keep up with ( 10 minutes to read cards before a match even begins!) I am even for completely ripping all the V-set pieces away, and starting fresh. Keep it simple, Keep it Simple.

B. Act limits, and strict enforcing of rules during tournaments.

Part B has been an issue for a long time, because people in the community consider it casual gaming, and try to be friendly. Which I get... But at some point, rules have got to be strict.

Tennessee has been calling for this stuff for a while.... Maybe now more people will be open up to these ideas.

Deaths_Baine
Posted: Saturday, August 4, 2018 8:20:06 AM

In the end it was proven tn was right
it is time for some others to join in the fight
the tournament was worthless rules were broken
all caedus was given was a smile and a token
he was screwed out of his place at the top of the pile
it was like getting punched while running a mile
the judges and players met in locked rooms
probably smoking and tripping on shrooms
to figure out how to spin the announcement
and how to tell the remaining players to get bent
they will argue and say nothing bad occurred
and that the rules and reports are just being blurred
they will agree and hold hands and scream at me
after all this is all about solidarity
Tim will be crowned for his years of service
he will retire from minis in nothing but bliss
we will all continue on like the years before
getting screwed and lied to..like a dirty ....... bantha

Flapper

Update by deaths_baine
jen'ari
Posted: Saturday, August 4, 2018 8:58:45 AM

Your poem making abilities always astound me. and so fast as well.
HAHAHA

that is awesome!
SOLIDARITY!!

but how was Caedus screwed?
General_Grievous
Posted: Saturday, August 4, 2018 9:37:30 AM

Disney may have cast them out but the Vong are always welcome in the North! Truly though just keeping the number SAs and CEs down on cards helps with simplicity. Or even having a rule like Epics had where you can have a max of 2 or 3 commanders in a squad
Caedus
Posted: Saturday, August 4, 2018 10:17:48 AM

jen'ari wrote:
but how was Caedus screwed?

I'm not sure. I made a mistake with my squad that allowed my opponent to defeat me. While it did keep me out of the top 6, the rest of the speculation is a case of "Theoretical Minis". It is my responsibility to manage my squad first and foremost, and I didn't. Scores were turned in and my opponents victory was EARNED. No controversy or conspiracy to be had here.

spryguy1981
Posted: Saturday, August 4, 2018 10:31:16 AM

Official GenCon Announcement! The winner of GenCon is Me because I said so lol.
gholli69
Posted: Saturday, August 4, 2018 10:34:38 AM

That's a shame to hear that happened to you Caedus, but it seems that you have a good attitude about it at least. That is one reason I don't personally play vong though is that it is just so easy to forget one of the SA or CE that is being spread around, but talk about the worst timing for forgetting something, in the Gencon Champs!
spryguy1981
Posted: Saturday, August 4, 2018 10:37:23 AM

Just saying the final would've been myself and gholli69 if life hadn't gotten in the way!
Caedus
Posted: Saturday, August 4, 2018 10:42:26 AM

gholli69 wrote:
That's a shame to hear that happened to you Caedus, but it seems that you have a good attitude about it at least. That is one reason I don't personally play vong though is that it is just so easy to forget one of the SA or CE that is being spread around, but talk about the worst timing for forgetting something, in the Gencon Champs!

I was more mad my opponent made 9 Parry saves in a row that should have killed him anyway. LOL
gholli69
Posted: Saturday, August 4, 2018 11:50:04 AM

Wow, 9 consecutive saves is pretty hard to overcome, that's some epic dce luck, and spryguy, there was no way I could've played well that day, after that procedure I felt fine the night of the procedure, but the next day I was in a world f pain no way I could've played a competent game of minis let alone made the finals, but should be back next year.
jen'ari
Posted: Saturday, August 4, 2018 11:53:05 AM

If it is Sith Mastermind and he cannot use force on other things he probably had a huge amount of parry saves. Only hope was to use YY-Devotion, but that means that your own piece takes damage and auto fails armor saves and avoid defeat saves for the round, so it might have been super risky to use against Lothal and Mastermind.