RegisterDonateLogin

Twin suns got you down? Cool off with Bloo Milk.

Welcome Guest Active Topics | Members

GenCon 2018 Event Updates and Reports Options
gandalfthegreatestwizard
Posted: Saturday, August 4, 2018 1:00:26 PM
Groups: Member , Moderator

jen'ari wrote:
If it is Sith Mastermind and he cannot use force on other things he probably had a huge amount of parry saves. Only hope was to use YY-Devotion, but that means that your own piece takes damage and auto fails armor saves and avoid defeat saves for the round, so it might have been super risky to use against Lothal and Mastermind.

YY Devotion only lasts for the rest of the turn, not the round.
FlyingArrow
Posted: Saturday, August 4, 2018 1:08:44 PM

DarkDracul won Royal Rumble.
jen'ari
Posted: Saturday, August 4, 2018 1:43:10 PM
Groups: Member

@FA oh, haha another example of people not being clear on the Vong. I thought it was round for sure!
Then i don't see it as risky and I would use it every time!
Caedus
Posted: Saturday, August 4, 2018 1:58:31 PM

jen'ari wrote:
If it is Sith Mastermind and he cannot use force on other things he probably had a huge amount of parry saves. Only hope was to use YY-Devotion, but that means that your own piece takes damage and auto fails armor saves and avoid defeat saves for the round, so it might have been super risky to use against Lothal and Mastermind.
only if you remember that EVERYONE fails saves.
Caedus
Posted: Saturday, August 4, 2018 2:01:40 PM

FlyingArrow wrote:
DarkDracul won Royal Rumble.

what did he run
Caedus
Posted: Saturday, August 4, 2018 2:08:52 PM

jen'ari wrote:
@FA oh, haha another example of people not being clear on the Vong. I thought it was round for sure!
Then i don't see it as risky and I would use it every time!

I ran over Vader with shedao shai and the executor combo in a single phase. Mastermind had a bodyguard so it took longer to work him down. If you play it correctly and Don't Forget Anything, Emperor and Vader don't stand a chance
jew3
Posted: Saturday, August 4, 2018 2:15:19 PM

Hello SWM Community!

This is a joint post fully agreed upon by both players ("word up" -Tim Ballard) and ("👍🏼" -Jason Kiernan), as well as the overall Gen Con SWM Tournament Organizer ("I approve this message" James Wyszynski)

Ya'll are probably wondering what the heck happened in the Gen Con championship finals.

Well, here's the short(-ish) scoop:

Game was played about 1am after a long day of gaming. One of the last moves in the final round in a tight game, Player A killed a major piece of Player B and ran around a corner. Then player B deliberated, drew several lines of sight, and found a line to use a scrub to attack Player A's piece that had just killed his piece. Player B rolled the magic number, (luck finally turned around!) and killed Player A's piece. The crowd (err - half dozen people) gasped. Player A removed the piece from the board and said "good game". Player B stared in shock at what had just happened. "Did that really just happen!?!" (He said thrice!) "Did I just Win Gen Con? That's the craziest finish ever!" There was a smattering of tired applause (a couple short claps really) as the players shook hands.

A minute later - "But wait!" Exclaimed Player A "I never moved a second activation before you shot my piece!" A hush filled the room. There were a few groans. Many sickened faces in the crowd (err - small handful of people). "What do we do?" "Ugh, this stinks".

Well, there was past precedent to rewind to the illegal game state and play from there. Player B did not want to be the "but you shook hands so it's over" guy, so he said "let's rewind and play it from there." Players and judge agreed. It was easy enough to set the board back up as it was and continue from the contested point.

Player A moved a scrub in front of his main piece, Player B did not get the miricle (second miricle?) to kill the scrub AND the main piece. Player B said "good game". They shook hands.

But wait there's more!

Much later Player B says to Player A - "Wait, how did you do this move?" (That dramatically changed the game). Player A moans in shock "I shouldn't have been able to! That's massive!" "I missed it too!" says Player B"

"So what do we do now?"

Both players agreed it was a heck of a predicament. Nothing official had been reported to the TO yet, it didn't effect any other games or any other players, another round hadn't started yet (obviously). The head judge was in a nasty place to have to make a call. Overall TO James recused the head judge so it would not be on his shoulders.

Important to note - both players were entirely civil and respectful in the process. Both agreed that there was valid arguments from multiple perspectives and there was no perfect solution. Neither wanted to win the championship in such a manner. Player A offered to concede the title to Player B. Player B refused that concession.

Both players were trying to honestly work out what the "right thing" to do would be. They are friends (as are most people in our community at this point) and there was no animosity. Multiple honest mistakes were made in the game.

Replaying from the illegal game state was proposed, but it would be difficult to rewind it with everything exactly right. Both players agree that if the early accidental illegal move hadn't happened, Player B wins pretty easily. Therefore Player A was reluctant to a full rematch because that would unfairly effect Player B (since Player B would have won from that point on minus the accidental illegal move, starting over benefits player A since he will avoid the bad position he was in). Player B acknowledged that starting all the way over would be worse for him thastarting from the point of the illegal game state, but he would still rather do that then take a concession.

Then it was pointed out that it could be a positive thing to replay the game. Play it LIVE ON VASSAL, with live commentary on the SITH HOLONEWS NETWORK, for everyone to watch and enjoy!

BOTH players refused to accept a concession from the other. Both want to do the right thing. Co-champions was brought up but it didn't seem quite right to either (again - both would rather the other just have the title) There is no perfect answer. Replay seems the best option.

Both players and the head SWM TO agree to the solution of a replay (date tbd), where the result will be final. An official judge will be on hand, and the game will be public for viewing.

A note from the players -
Both wanted to be sure to publicly commend the other on the civil manner in which this has been handled. Zero animosity. Both feel bad for the other guy. Both were also concerned about how it might effect the community. Ultimately since it effects nobody else directly, they have come to this decision in unison with full backing from the head TO. It is truly both players desire that this becomes a fun, positive thing for the community to look forward to.

As much anticipation as there has been in the community about this (we love all the interest!), trust us when we say the players and judges stomachs have most likely been churning over this more than anyone. It hasn't been a case of either play or feeling like they been cheated. In fact it's more of a case of both players trying to make sure they aren't accidentally cheating the other one out of anything.

Everyone has no doubt that this will be debated on if it's the right way to handle it. (it's to be expected we are all gamers) - but the decision on how to handle this has been made, agreed-upon by both players and the head TO, and it is final.

Stay tuned to find out when the rematch will happen! I hope you all are looking forward to it.

If you have any problems or concerns with this, please contact me via Email Jameswys@hotmail.com or call/text me at 517.582.6000

It will not be of any use to complain or criticize this. It is final, but I will take your thoughts into consideration for next year.
Caedus
Posted: Saturday, August 4, 2018 2:25:27 PM

HERE HERE! Sounds perfect
gholli69
Posted: Saturday, August 4, 2018 2:49:33 PM

Thanks for the update James, sounds like a real pickle to be sure and glad a consensus could be reached between the two sides as I'm sure it has to be tough on both since neither has won the Gencon Championship before and then to have that kind of situation arise. I mean I'm sure they both want to win but don't want to screw their buddy out of his chance to win either, tough. Awesome that it will be broadcast on vassel for those who have it to watch.
swinefeld
Posted: Saturday, August 4, 2018 3:40:30 PM

Wow, that is indeed a tough situation. Kudos to all of you on the solution. ThumpUp

Looking forward to watching!
FlyingArrow
Posted: Saturday, August 4, 2018 3:42:13 PM

FlyingArrow wins Battle through the Ages. TimmerB takes 2nd.

A fun format where I went 3-1 and was legitimately beat by a guy who just learned the game by watching online videos last week. He finished with 8pts. Tim and I had 9 but I had the head to head win.
jen'ari
Posted: Saturday, August 4, 2018 4:10:47 PM

That is so embarrassing.... But there really should be some better protocol in how to go back to a point. If it is missed it should just be missed. No going back at all unless it is caught right away. Kind of like Monopoly, if the person doesn't demand rent and you move on, too bad.
swinefeld
Posted: Saturday, August 4, 2018 4:33:02 PM

FlyingArrow wrote:
FlyingArrow wins Battle through the Ages. TimmerB takes 2nd.

A fun format where I went 3-1 and was legitimately beat by a guy who just learned the game by watching online videos last week. He finished with 8pts. Tim and I had 9 but I had the head to head win.

^ BigGrin That's awesome. Sign him up!

Congrats on the win. BlooMilk
jen'ari
Posted: Saturday, August 4, 2018 4:54:50 PM

I just have no idea how this happened. I didn't use both activations.... Is there a rule saying you can go back in time to use both?
How did you get there? Is there a rule saying you can go back in time to change it?
Or is it just "we will make up a solution" and then once everyone is on board it is good to go?
I have never heard of such a thing as players making up rules as a game is destroyed by illegal play on both sides....

Illegally got somewhere, illegally not activations twice. Illegally calling the game null and void.

We need a rule book desperately that outlines these types of scenarios. Quite frankly put, why didn't the tournament go back in time to place Caedus in the top 6?
Caedus's words were that it was his responsibility.
I feel like the same should have been done here.
Camaraderie out the window. The judge should have just called it.
This is embarrassing imo. Pseudo-competition strikes again. There was a friend of my families named Kapela, he came over to play magic tG. We were playing and my dad played a spell and the other person takes his turn and tried to do something but my dad's card stopped it from activating. Kapela said, "oh, if I had known it did that I would have counter spelled it" and expected my father to go back to the previous turn so he could counter spell the card hahaha. At the age of 9 I knew that was dumb.
swinefeld
Posted: Saturday, August 4, 2018 5:21:12 PM

jen'ari wrote:
I just have no idea how this happened. I didn't use both activations.... Is there a rule saying you can go back in time to use both?
How did you get there? Is there a rule saying you can go back in time to change it?
Or is it just "we will make up a solution" and then once everyone is on board it is good to go?
I have never heard of such a thing as players making up rules as a game is destroyed by illegal play on both sides....

Illegally got somewhere, illegally not activations twice. Illegally calling the game null and void.

We need a rule book desperately that outlines these types of scenarios. Quite frankly put, why didn't the tournament go back in time to place Caedus in the top 6?
This is embarrassing imo. Pseudo-competition strikes again. There was a friend of my families named Kapela, he came over to play magic tG. We were playing and my dad played a spell and the other person takes his turn and tried to do something but my dad's card stopped it from activating. Kapela said, "oh, if I had known it did that I would have counter spelled it" and expected my father to go back to the previous turn so he could counter spell the card hahaha. At the age of 9 I knew that was dumb.

Meh, don't get bent up about it. They're literally going to play again, and the game will no doubt play out differently, probably will be more intense (they know each others squads even better now) so unless someone's dice poop all over them it should be a great game, and people (like you and me) that weren't there will have a chance to watch it.

Also, don't blow up this thread complaining. Maybe you have some constructive suggestions for handling game-state errors? (which range from trivial to game-changing, obviously)

*addendum - You mentioned 'camaraderie'. Seems more like sportsmanship to me.
trappedslider
Posted: Saturday, August 4, 2018 5:22:30 PM

losing due to miss triggers errr activations some ways I'm glad to see that the SWM community isn't as cut throat as the MTG players...

EDIT: on the topic of slow play, It was a hotly discussed topic years ago...I don't recall a consensus reached back then..even included the suggestion of chess clocks...
juice man
Posted: Saturday, August 4, 2018 5:54:13 PM

swinefeld wrote:
jen'ari wrote:

Meh, don't get bent up about it. They're literally going to play again, and the game will no doubt play out differently, probably will be more intense (they know each others squads even better now) so unless someone's dice poop all over them it should be a great game, and people (like you and me) that weren't there will have a chance to watch it.

Also, don't blow up this thread complaining. Maybe you have some constructive suggestions for handling game-state errors? (which range from trivial to game-changing, obviously)

*addendum - You mentioned 'camaraderie'. Seems more like sportsmanship to me.
Double "meh". Easy to see how this happened, 1am game time? Both players tired.
As far as rules to address this situation, just what this game needs, more rules!
Two players had a kerfuffel, two players have a solution they are both happy with.
juice man
Posted: Saturday, August 4, 2018 5:55:21 PM

trappedslider wrote:
losing due to miss triggers errr activations some ways I'm glad to see that the SWM community isn't as cut throat as the MTG players.....
Yes to this!
swinefeld
Posted: Saturday, August 4, 2018 6:22:01 PM

juice man wrote:

As far as rules to address this situation, just what this game needs, more rules!

+100. Even though tourney rules are not my particular area of the 'rules' in the game, the sentiment applies broadly.

juice man wrote:
trappedslider wrote:
losing due to miss triggers errr activations some ways I'm glad to see that the SWM community isn't as cut throat as the MTG players.....
Yes to this!

Agreed! BlooMilk
DarthMaim
Posted: Saturday, August 4, 2018 6:36:49 PM

jew3 wrote:

Hello SWM Community!

This is a joint post fully agreed upon by both players ("word up" -Tim Ballard) and ("👍🏼" -Jason Kiernan), as well as the overall Gen Con SWM Tournament Organizer ("I approve this message" James Wyszynski)

Ya'll are probably wondering what the heck happened in the Gen Con championship finals.

Well, here's the short(-ish) scoop:

Game was played about 1am after a long day of gaming. One of the last moves in the final round in a tight game, Player A killed a major piece of Player B and ran around a corner. Then player B deliberated, drew several lines of sight, and found a line to use a scrub to attack Player A's piece that had just killed his piece. Player B rolled the magic number, (luck finally turned around!) and killed Player A's piece. The crowd (err - half dozen people) gasped. Player A removed the piece from the board and said "good game". Player B stared in shock at what had just happened. "Did that really just happen!?!" (He said thrice!) "Did I just Win Gen Con? That's the craziest finish ever!" There was a smattering of tired applause (a couple short claps really) as the players shook hands.

A minute later - "But wait!" Exclaimed Player A "I never moved a second activation before you shot my piece!" A hush filled the room. There were a few groans. Many sickened faces in the crowd (err - small handful of people). "What do we do?" "Ugh, this stinks".

Well, there was past precedent to rewind to the illegal game state and play from there. Player B did not want to be the "but you shook hands so it's over" guy, so he said "let's rewind and play it from there." Players and judge agreed. It was easy enough to set the board back up as it was and continue from the contested point.

Player A moved a scrub in front of his main piece, Player B did not get the miricle (second miricle?) to kill the scrub AND the main piece. Player B said "good game". They shook hands.

But wait there's more!

Much later Player B says to Player A - "Wait, how did you do this move?" (That dramatically changed the game). Player A moans in shock "I shouldn't have been able to! That's massive!" "I missed it too!" says Player B"

"So what do we do now?"

Both players agreed it was a heck of a predicament. Nothing official had been reported to the TO yet, it didn't effect any other games or any other players, another round hadn't started yet (obviously). The head judge was in a nasty place to have to make a call. Overall TO James recused the head judge so it would not be on his shoulders.

Important to note - both players were entirely civil and respectful in the process. Both agreed that there was valid arguments from multiple perspectives and there was no perfect solution. Neither wanted to win the championship in such a manner. Player A offered to concede the title to Player B. Player B refused that concession.

Both players were trying to honestly work out what the "right thing" to do would be. They are friends (as are most people in our community at this point) and there was no animosity. Multiple honest mistakes were made in the game.

Replaying from the illegal game state was proposed, but it would be difficult to rewind it with everything exactly right. Both players agree that if the early accidental illegal move hadn't happened, Player B wins pretty easily. Therefore Player A was reluctant to a full rematch because that would unfairly effect Player B (since Player B would have won from that point on minus the accidental illegal move, starting over benefits player A since he will avoid the bad position he was in). Player B acknowledged that starting all the way over would be worse for him thastarting from the point of the illegal game state, but he would still rather do that then take a concession.

Then it was pointed out that it could be a positive thing to replay the game. Play it LIVE ON VASSAL, with live commentary on the SITH HOLONEWS NETWORK, for everyone to watch and enjoy!

BOTH players refused to accept a concession from the other. Both want to do the right thing. Co-champions was brought up but it didn't seem quite right to either (again - both would rather the other just have the title) There is no perfect answer. Replay seems the best option.

Both players and the head SWM TO agree to the solution of a replay (date tbd), where the result will be final. An official judge will be on hand, and the game will be public for viewing.

A note from the players -
Both wanted to be sure to publicly commend the other on the civil manner in which this has been handled. Zero animosity. Both feel bad for the other guy. Both were also concerned about how it might effect the community. Ultimately since it effects nobody else directly, they have come to this decision in unison with full backing from the head TO. It is truly both players desire that this becomes a fun, positive thing for the community to look forward to.

As much anticipation as there has been in the community about this (we love all the interest!), trust us when we say the players and judges stomachs have most likely been churning over this more than anyone. It hasn't been a case of either play or feeling like they been cheated. In fact it's more of a case of both players trying to make sure they aren't accidentally cheating the other one out of anything.

Everyone has no doubt that this will be debated on if it's the right way to handle it. (it's to be expected we are all gamers) - but the decision on how to handle this has been made, agreed-upon by both players and the head TO, and it is final.

Stay tuned to find out when the rematch will happen! I hope you all are looking forward to it.

If you have any problems or concerns with this, please contact me via Email Jameswys@hotmail.com or call/text me at 517.582.6000

It will not be of any use to complain or criticize this. It is final, but I will take your thoughts into consideration for next year.

First of all, just want to say James is such an awesome dude! I have so much respect and gratitude for him helping to keep minis afloat at GenCon. Thanks buddie, you're 1 in a million!

What strikes me as the most obvious and ridiculous thing that occurred this year was whoever decided and allowed the championship to be played that late at night. Poor decision. This should never be allowed to ever happen again at GenCon. How can anyone expect anything other than what happened? Moving forward James as the most excellent TO in the world, please make sure to announce before the tourney, that the ultimate championship game will take place on either Friday, Saturday, or Sunday! Problem solved, case closed, end of debate and discussion ThumpUp