RegisterDonateLogin

The perfect complement to Wookiee Cookiees.

Welcome Guest Active Topics | Members

GenCon 2018 Event Updates and Reports Options
FlyingArrow
Posted: Saturday, August 4, 2018 7:08:21 PM
Groups: Member , Moderator

FlyingArrow and TimmerB won team tournament.
General_Grievous
Posted: Saturday, August 4, 2018 8:37:39 PM
Groups: Member

jew3 wrote:

Hello SWM Community!

This is a joint post fully agreed upon by both players ("word up" -Tim Ballard) and ("👍🏼" -Jason Kiernan), as well as the overall Gen Con SWM Tournament Organizer ("I approve this message" James Wyszynski)

Ya'll are probably wondering what the heck happened in the Gen Con championship finals.

Well, here's the short(-ish) scoop:

Game was played about 1am after a long day of gaming. One of the last moves in the final round in a tight game, Player A killed a major piece of Player B and ran around a corner. Then player B deliberated, drew several lines of sight, and found a line to use a scrub to attack Player A's piece that had just killed his piece. Player B rolled the magic number, (luck finally turned around!) and killed Player A's piece. The crowd (err - half dozen people) gasped. Player A removed the piece from the board and said "good game". Player B stared in shock at what had just happened. "Did that really just happen!?!" (He said thrice!) "Did I just Win Gen Con? That's the craziest finish ever!" There was a smattering of tired applause (a couple short claps really) as the players shook hands.

A minute later - "But wait!" Exclaimed Player A "I never moved a second activation before you shot my piece!" A hush filled the room. There were a few groans. Many sickened faces in the crowd (err - small handful of people). "What do we do?" "Ugh, this stinks".

Well, there was past precedent to rewind to the illegal game state and play from there. Player B did not want to be the "but you shook hands so it's over" guy, so he said "let's rewind and play it from there." Players and judge agreed. It was easy enough to set the board back up as it was and continue from the contested point.

Player A moved a scrub in front of his main piece, Player B did not get the miricle (second miricle?) to kill the scrub AND the main piece. Player B said "good game". They shook hands.

But wait there's more!

Much later Player B says to Player A - "Wait, how did you do this move?" (That dramatically changed the game). Player A moans in shock "I shouldn't have been able to! That's massive!" "I missed it too!" says Player B"

"So what do we do now?"

Both players agreed it was a heck of a predicament. Nothing official had been reported to the TO yet, it didn't effect any other games or any other players, another round hadn't started yet (obviously). The head judge was in a nasty place to have to make a call. Overall TO James recused the head judge so it would not be on his shoulders.

Important to note - both players were entirely civil and respectful in the process. Both agreed that there was valid arguments from multiple perspectives and there was no perfect solution. Neither wanted to win the championship in such a manner. Player A offered to concede the title to Player B. Player B refused that concession.

Both players were trying to honestly work out what the "right thing" to do would be. They are friends (as are most people in our community at this point) and there was no animosity. Multiple honest mistakes were made in the game.

Replaying from the illegal game state was proposed, but it would be difficult to rewind it with everything exactly right. Both players agree that if the early accidental illegal move hadn't happened, Player B wins pretty easily. Therefore Player A was reluctant to a full rematch because that would unfairly effect Player B (since Player B would have won from that point on minus the accidental illegal move, starting over benefits player A since he will avoid the bad position he was in). Player B acknowledged that starting all the way over would be worse for him thastarting from the point of the illegal game state, but he would still rather do that then take a concession.

Then it was pointed out that it could be a positive thing to replay the game. Play it LIVE ON VASSAL, with live commentary on the SITH HOLONEWS NETWORK, for everyone to watch and enjoy!

BOTH players refused to accept a concession from the other. Both want to do the right thing. Co-champions was brought up but it didn't seem quite right to either (again - both would rather the other just have the title) There is no perfect answer. Replay seems the best option.

Both players and the head SWM TO agree to the solution of a replay (date tbd), where the result will be final. An official judge will be on hand, and the game will be public for viewing.

A note from the players -
Both wanted to be sure to publicly commend the other on the civil manner in which this has been handled. Zero animosity. Both feel bad for the other guy. Both were also concerned about how it might effect the community. Ultimately since it effects nobody else directly, they have come to this decision in unison with full backing from the head TO. It is truly both players desire that this becomes a fun, positive thing for the community to look forward to.

As much anticipation as there has been in the community about this (we love all the interest!), trust us when we say the players and judges stomachs have most likely been churning over this more than anyone. It hasn't been a case of either play or feeling like they been cheated. In fact it's more of a case of both players trying to make sure they aren't accidentally cheating the other one out of anything.

Everyone has no doubt that this will be debated on if it's the right way to handle it. (it's to be expected we are all gamers) - but the decision on how to handle this has been made, agreed-upon by both players and the head TO, and it is final.

Stay tuned to find out when the rematch will happen! I hope you all are looking forward to it.

If you have any problems or concerns with this, please contact me via Email Jameswys@hotmail.com or call/text me at 517.582.6000

It will not be of any use to complain or criticize this. It is final, but I will take your thoughts into consideration for next year.

"But what about the droid attack on the Wookies?"
swinefeld
Posted: Saturday, August 4, 2018 8:50:27 PM
Groups: Member , Moderator

FlyingArrow wrote:
FlyingArrow and TimmerB won team tournament.

You guys are on a roll. Congrats!
DarthMaim
Posted: Saturday, August 4, 2018 10:32:51 PM

This year's final is crazy deja vu for me. In 2006, I was in the final of the150pt championship at GenCon Indy on Sunday. Time was called and we were finishing all our activations on the round. I got down to my last activations, and I thought there was nothing I could do to beat my opponent, so I shook my opponents hand, and said good game. Then before anyone did anything, I said "wait a minute". I preceded to finish my last 3 activations, by moving a piece up, then activating Thrawn, then swapping in Anakin Skywalker Sith Apprentice, then I rolled the die really quick, and connected on his guy, killing his piece, which would have put me ahead, thus winning the championship. My opponent complained to the judge, and then ruled he won, because I had shook his hand, which the judge ruled was me conceding. I was pretty bent, and that guy won a complete set of the new release set at the 2006 GenCon Indy.

In conclusion, if the 2018 SWM Championship had been played in 2006 ( Official DCI judge and all ), then whoever shook whoever's hand conceding, that would have ended this whole thing, thus avoiding any confusion, controversy, potential community backlash, etc.
DarthMaim
Posted: Saturday, August 4, 2018 10:39:45 PM

I was pretty upset back then, but official DCI rules ( in 2006 ) stated that if someone concedes, then the game is over, period!
jak
Posted: Saturday, August 4, 2018 11:48:34 PM

rules are VERY lax now in the absence of DCI run GenCon SWM events.
the difference is amazing,
this incident, and many others I've witnessed post WotC, would NEVER had happened pre 2010.
the game is just getting sillier all the time.ThumbDown
juice man
Posted: Sunday, August 5, 2018 1:00:53 AM

DarthMaim wrote:
I was pretty upset back then, but official DCI rules ( in 2006 ) stated that if someone concedes, then the game is over, period!
Apparently both players didn't want to be "that guy". More so then the guy you played.
jen'ari
Posted: Sunday, August 5, 2018 2:58:20 AM

swinefeld wrote:

Meh, don't get bent up about it. They're literally going to play again, and the game will no doubt play out differently, probably will be more intense (they know each others squads even better now) so unless someone's dice poop all over them it should be a great game, and people (like you and me) that weren't there will have a chance to watch it.

Also, don't blow up this thread complaining. Maybe you have some constructive suggestions for handling game-state errors? (which range from trivial to game-changing, obviously)

*addendum - You mentioned 'camaraderie'. Seems more like sportsmanship to me.

I am a little bent about it. If it wasn't for buying a house (what a house it is as well) I would have been at gencon this year. I am already planning for next year and getting it "on the books" I even told the High School Athletic Director that next year for 4 days I will be gone during preseason and the assistant will have to take over haha.

Mix in Slow Play reports with players being able to determine their own fate and it is not very enticing. I mean, for me to leave my high school coaching job, my wife, and 5 children for 4-5 days and travel over 11 hours I would like to know there are rules in place and what I can expect.

Sportsmanship is just fair play. IF there are rules going against the rules to be "nice" is not sportsmanlike. It is cheating. One SHHN in 2017 before gencon discussed how gencon is different then other tournaments and how if a player did not declare say a "Lightsaber Assault" before movement then they would call that out and be really nit picky with language. That is because those rules are in place.Competition is Cut-throat.

Slow-Play should be called out and done away with. If someone concedes that is it. If they both don't want the title, call it null or give it to 3rd place if they both disavow it.

If someone makes a mistake in a competition I dont know why you can go back in time.
A goalkeeper slips and misses picking up a rolling slowly ball and it goes into the goal, I dont see him getting a redo. Someone misses a layup in the final seconds losing them the game they do not get a redo.

I do agree fully with the idea of not playing a 1AM after all those other games.
gholli69
Posted: Sunday, August 5, 2018 3:09:04 AM

Also making a hard and fast rule that the championship finals has to be played on a different day may not be a great solution as I know I usually only get to go for 1 day to GenCon. I realize I may never be fortunate enough to make it to that advanced stage of the competition, however there may be others in that situation as well. I feel like the best way to go is to let the 2 participants agree on when to play. Obviously if they can both fit the game in when they are both well rested and less likely to make game play mistakes, that would probably be best, but the community has to take into account that most people pay a pretty penny to attend GenCon, and therefore the final two players really should have some say as to when it works best for them to play.
juice man
Posted: Sunday, August 5, 2018 3:12:42 AM

jen'ari wrote:
swinefeld wrote:

Meh, don't get bent up about it. They're literally going to play again, and the game will no doubt play out differently, probably will be more intense (they know each others squads even better now) so unless someone's dice poop all over them it should be a great game, and people (like you and me) that weren't there will have a chance to watch it.

Also, don't blow up this thread complaining. Maybe you have some constructive suggestions for handling game-state errors? (which range from trivial to game-changing, obviously)

I am a little bent about it. If it wasn't for buying a house (what a house it is as well) I would have been at gencon this year. I am already planning for next year and getting it "on the books" I even told the High School Athletic Director that next year for 4 days I will be gone during preseason and the assistant will have to take over haha.

Mix in Slow Play reports with players being able to determine their own fate and it is not very enticing. I mean, for me to leave my high school coaching job, my wife, and 5 children for 4-5 days and travel over 11 hours I would like to know there are rules in place and what I can expect.

Sportsmanship is just fair play. IF there are rules going against the rules to be "nice" is not sportsmanlike. It is cheating. One SHHN in 2017 before gencon discussed how gencon is different then other tournaments and how if a player did not declare say a "Lightsaber Assault" before movement then they would call that out and be really nit picky with language. That is because those rules are in place.Competition is Cut-throat.

Slow-Play should be called out and done away with. If someone concedes that is it. If they both don't want the title, call it null or give it to 3rd place if they both disavow it.

If someone makes a mistake in a competition I dont know why you can go back in time.
A goalkeeper slips and misses picking up a rolling slowly ball and it goes into the goal, I dont see him getting a redo. Someone misses a layup in the final seconds losing them the game they do not get a redo.

I do agree fully with the idea of not playing a 1AM after all those other games.
Sounds like you shouldn't go.
jen'ari
Posted: Sunday, August 5, 2018 3:43:36 AM

juice man wrote:
jen'ari wrote:
swinefeld wrote:

Juice Man you are consistently unhelpful. Why do you even respond? Do you think it is a help? do you think it benefits any one to say "you shouldn't go"? Are you going to say that to others that are disappointed in an aspect of this tournament?
I am not the only one questioning how things went down this gencon and wanting some more set rules for the tournament.
People are disappointed in the largest tournament we have. All you have to say is "you shouldn't go".
IF I go there is a chance Deaths_Baine goes, Shmi15 might go, even theultrastar might come out and go.

So there is 4 people. I know there are a couple of other TN guys that we are pals with that might go just because there is a ride (5 kids means I own a Honda Odyssey). So we are talking quite a few people that might go if I go.
On top of that we might be able to pick people up on the way since I am driving from the East Coast.

Before all the above, you shouldn't count someone out so quickly just because that person is a human being. I shouldn't have to prove to you that I am "worth" being accounted for. Frankly put: You sir, are an ass.
shmi15
Posted: Sunday, August 5, 2018 5:01:07 AM

DarthMaim wrote:

So there are rules, that actually state if you concede the game you lose? Period?

I know were not DCI ran or anything... But do we not use a lot of their same rules during tournaments?
jak
Posted: Sunday, August 5, 2018 5:37:04 AM

well, jenni, you had to call my bud an ass, and now I won't hold back.

waa-waa-waa I bought a house.........waa-waa-waa I can't go to GenCon........
I mentions before I didn't want to hear any lame excuses for not going.

I've bought over 35 houses in my life, yet I go to GenCon when I please.
you and DA's direct attack on jucey and myself is a direct violation of the Bloomilk CoC.

at the last tourny, I learned you were universally hated by other players, all because of your poisonous postings.
you may be a decent person, but we'll never know because of your asinine posts

shrug this off as a coming from the elite with an agenda if you wish,
but I really doubt if anyone would be happy to see at GenCon, or anywhere else for that matter.
try being kind for a change
juice man
Posted: Sunday, August 5, 2018 6:00:16 AM

jen'ari wrote:
juice man wrote:
jen'ari wrote:
swinefeld wrote:

Juice Man you are consistently unhelpful. Why do you even respond? Do you think it is a help? do you think it benefits any one to say "you shouldn't go"? Are you going to say that to others that are disappointed in an aspect of this tournament?
I am not the only one questioning how things went down this gencon and wanting some more set rules for the tournament.
People are disappointed in the largest tournament we have. All you have to say is "you shouldn't go".
IF I go there is a chance Deaths_Baine goes, Shmi15 might go, even theultrastar might come out and go.

So there is 4 people. I know there are a couple of other TN guys that we are pals with that might go just because there is a ride (5 kids means I own a Honda Odyssey). So we are talking quite a few people that might go if I go.
On top of that we might be able to pick people up on the way since I am driving from the East Coast.

Before all the above, you shouldn't count someone out so quickly just because that person is a human being. I shouldn't have to prove to you that I am "worth" being accounted for. Frankly put: You sir, are an ass.
Thank you. However, I did but sum your post, in which you list many good reasons going to GenCon is difficult. And one poor one. There is, in fact, a rule for what happened and player A chose to not enforce it.
If what two guys did in 2018 is really harshing your planned 2019 experience, well...
juice man
Posted: Sunday, August 5, 2018 6:07:09 AM

jak wrote:

you and DA's direct attack on jucey and myself is a direct violation of the Bloomilk CoC.

at the last tourny, I learned you were universally hated by other players, all because of your poisonous postings.

but I really doubt if anyone would be happy to see at GenCon, or anywhere else for that matter.
Well Jak, from a certain point of view, we are all asses. I freely admit to occasional assery. Don't think I was this time but hey.

PS Thanks for the back-up.
juice man
Posted: Sunday, August 5, 2018 6:11:54 AM

And Jen, I've discovered that acctualy meeting people face to face changes opinions on how you perceive them on-line.
Many times for the better.
jen'ari
Posted: Sunday, August 5, 2018 6:21:19 AM

jak wrote:

Hahaha the Calvary, I love it!! Love love love it!

Your old Jak I will have a nice retirement too.
You bring up rules.. I decided not to follow them... Sound familiar?
The game is getting more suitable liking in a lot of ways. It's the pseudo competition breaking of rules that is the only hard thing for me now. So I will fight for competition.

Would people like to see me there? I want to see people I don't like at competitions so I can face them. As it should be. The Lakers wanted to play the Celtics (old reference, how thoughtful). It's not like I am going to be hanging out with anyone, I fundamentally don't like most people here.

Asinine posts, asinine posts, asinine posts. I was being very cool and brought up concerns. I was treated like a throwaway. I responded in kind.

Oh my goodness. You sit here and say get over it get over it don't want to hear excuses bla bla bla. I don't want to hear you either.

P.s. Jak before me you were the asinine poster on this site. Estrogen comes with old age.
shmi15
Posted: Sunday, August 5, 2018 7:41:06 AM

Are they going back in time to allow Caedus to be in the top 6? Or is the only time reversal for these two guys because, that seems odd that neither of them " want to be that guy" when everyone was that guy to Caedus?

I'm so confused in this
Caedus
Posted: Sunday, August 5, 2018 8:06:07 AM

shmi15 wrote:
Are they going back in time to allow Caedus to be in the top 6? Or is the only time reversal for these two guys because, that seems odd that neither of them " want to be that guy" when everyone was that guy to Caedus?

I'm so confused in this

Don't lump me into your argument. I never brought it up to a judge. I chalked it up to experience. I wasn't in the finals yet and had a 4th round to get in. I blew that as well. The Victory was earned. The Finals is much more a big deal. Most of the Community wants the "Game" to be right, ya know, kinda like instant replay inside 2 min. Left in the game. I had my challenge and didn't use it. Please keep my name out of your mouth. Thank you
jak
Posted: Sunday, August 5, 2018 8:18:44 AM