RegisterDonateLogin

Is worth a lot to me.

Welcome Guest Active Topics | Members

Is the game fun? Options
General_Grievous
Posted: Monday, January 14, 2019 8:09:46 PM
Groups: Member

I've always been an advocate for keeping pieces simple, yes Darth Vader has a ton of force powers and appropriate abilities but that doesn't mean he should have all of them on one piece. This is supposed to be a quick tactical skirmish game, not an RPG where you read 10+ abilities on each character (cheap non-uniques included) to know what is going on. I like to play simply, and we sometimes play tournaments where only one or two commanders is allowed. Often newer players prefer using strong WOTC pieces instead of the generally more complicated VSET pieces. Kind of hard to reign on the SA/FP numerical creep at this stage but we can try to not make it worse. Design simply, complexity should be in squad composition not an individual piece.

Anyways we far northerners don't make it south of the border to the rest of you guys so we'll keep playing it light, and to us, light = fun.
GenCracken
Posted: Tuesday, January 15, 2019 2:11:18 PM

I tend to agree. If I make slightly over complicated characters it's solely for home campaigns with friends, and I usually try to find a way to make a custom to counter any OP characters I make. I'd definitely be interested in fighting AGAINST the v-sets or other people's homemade customs, but rarely would use them myself unless, again, it serves whatever story-driven campaign I have going on at home.
donnie72191
Posted: Tuesday, January 15, 2019 6:56:51 PM

idk about you guys. i have a blast playing this game! i have over 500 pieces my father and i play almost every night and my niece and i play alot but her dumbass got my jango fett bounty hunter figure chewed up by the fucking dog.
TimmerB123
Posted: Tuesday, January 15, 2019 8:33:26 PM

Of course the game is fun!

I enjoy the way it’s grown and evolved. I like a bit of complexity.

If it’s too simple, it gets boring.

Too simple also lends itself to luck deciding most games. We roll dice, so of course luck factors in. But the more skill involved then luck usually decides only games between similarly matched players.

I’d much rather have abilities and combos that take thought to put together and skill to run. Abilities that are just purely luck like reserves or disintegration, or too many save rolls take the fun away. Might as well flip a pack of quarters and see who gets more heads.

To me the fun of the game is matching wit, not seeing who is more lucky.