RegisterDonateLogin

So artistically done.

Welcome Guest Active Topics | Members

V-Set 18 Spoiler Thread Options
jen'ari
Posted: Friday, June 7, 2019 4:11:11 PM
Groups: Member

Sith battle lord fails on its own. (Possibly gloom walker snipers).
But sabers need lost tribe for attack rating or some other way for attack rating.
shmi15
Posted: Friday, June 7, 2019 6:11:34 PM

I just want to take the time, and let the designers on this set know, that the theme of interacting with the map has been very interesting, and a refreshing look at a designed set. I honestly started this post out asking questions about the Sith Battlelord, and wondering why he had some abilities, but on further inspection, he fits the theme you laid out very nicely. So map dependent, but its beautiful.

I do want to know if he was suppose to have a Melee or not. The flavor text makes me think he was suppose to, but I can also see it the other way

Nice work so far, you've fleshed out some sub factions, you've added alternate options for some mid tier, and potential high tier squads, and the map interaction on pieces have been so nice to see.

I have 2 pieces so far that I really like, and I think can be very competitive. I'm going to hold out and see the rest of the set... But, dare I say it, this may be my favorite set in a long time.
gandalfthegreatestwizard
Posted: Friday, June 7, 2019 6:30:02 PM
Groups: Member , Moderator

The stats posted for the Sith Battlelord are correct, it doesn't have Melee Attack.
swinefeld
Posted: Friday, June 7, 2019 6:41:05 PM

I'll be honest, I didn't follow this set's design until I came in for late-stage QC, but the terrain dependent angle is definitely something fresh (not new so much, Rigged Detonators et al) but is significantly focused on here.

FlyingArrow
Posted: Friday, June 7, 2019 8:54:52 PM

gandalfthegreatestwizard wrote:
The stats posted for the Sith Battlelord are correct, it doesn't have Melee Attack.

The Sith Battlelord goes through a deep Sith ritual, but he may or may not have been a Force user himself. So we gave him a Force rating but no Force points or Force powers beyond the Painful Bond, indicating that he's not really a Force user himself. So he's a shooter. He does have a Force rating, though, so he could theoretically gain some Force tricks, but most Force boosts in the game require a character to be Unique.

Here are a couple of links about the Sith Battlelord, and info there should shed some light on the abilities he has on the card:

wookieepedia's entry

Another Link

The original goal for this character was to be a character that could pair well with 57pt Sidious. Sith Battlelord is a 60dmg shooter standing still, so he can be good to Pawn and he benefits from being swapped around since his damage on the move is so much less than his damage standing still. He can make good use of both of Sidious' big tricks. Unfortunately, Sidious himself costs so much that the pairing probably still isn't competitive. Although giving a Sith Saber double-twin and +10dmg gets him to 120dmg standing still. So maybe Saber+Battlelord+Sidious? The Saber's certainly worth pawning, but still not sure it get 57pt Sidious to the table.
FlyingArrow
Posted: Friday, June 7, 2019 9:05:37 PM

shmi15 wrote:
I honestly started this post out asking questions about the Sith Battlelord, and wondering why he had some abilities, but on further inspection, he fits the theme you laid out very nicely. So map dependent, but its beautiful.

Which abilities were you wondering about? For the Sith Battlelord, they all tie in to his backstory. But I don't think any of his abilities interact with the map... unless you mean Painful Bond and the fact that an open map makes it easier to keep line of sight to the followers.

Regarding direct map interaction, so far we just have 3 examples: Dive to Cover on Gloom Walker Recruit and Kallus; Perimeter Watch on Rebel Battlefront Commando. 14 of the 36 characters have direct map interaction like that (not counting door control), so there's plenty more to come. (But not 11 new abilities - for example, you'll see Perimeter Watch again on another character.)
gandalfthegreatestwizard
Posted: Friday, June 7, 2019 9:26:10 PM

Mandalore the Lesser brings Mandos into the Sith faction, not the other way around. (And it wouldn't change the Sith Battlelord's faction anyway as it's a commander effect, not Affinity- you'd have to use Mandalore the Ultimate as well.)
gholli69
Posted: Friday, June 7, 2019 9:31:24 PM

Yeah, I just reread his card and realized that and deleted my stupid post. Could have been sweet though.
gandalfthegreatestwizard
Posted: Thursday, June 13, 2019 6:34:35 PM

Post updated: Occupier TX-225 Assault Tank and Satele Shan, Hero of Alderaan
jen'ari
Posted: Thursday, June 13, 2019 9:30:06 PM

Satele only has 1 attack and must use force dash to get 2?
FlyingArrow
Posted: Thursday, June 13, 2019 10:07:36 PM

Yes. Or play her with a Wookiee and give her 3.
jen'ari
Posted: Friday, June 14, 2019 4:32:45 AM

Ya... I don't like playing the over powered wookiees. The 13 attack saves the entire piece. But i don't see how anyone could pay 29 for one possibly 2 attacks on a melee piece.
FlyingArrow
Posted: Friday, June 14, 2019 6:14:24 AM

jen'ari wrote:
Ya... I don't like playing the over powered wookiees. The 13 attack saves the entire piece. But i don't see how anyone could pay 29 for one possibly 2 attacks on a melee piece.

Yeah, she's not a stand-alone piece. For her base stats, she's cheap. But she'll need either the Wookiee Commander to get her to Triple Attack or a Force battery so that she can consistently get her 2 attacks on the move each turn.

jen'ari
Posted: Friday, June 14, 2019 9:00:48 AM

FlyingArrow wrote:
jen'ari wrote:

Yeah, she's not a stand-alone piece. For her base stats, she's cheap. But she'll need either the Wookiee Commander to get her to Triple Attack or a Force battery so that she can consistently get her 2 attacks on the move each turn.

I guess it doesn't sit well with me that the version of Satele Shan in which she bests Malgus and should be very powerful is:
A) 29 points....
B) reliant on wookiees or a force battery

It does seem like THE Hero of Alderaan should be a 50 point piece. I mean right?

It is almost like "sith got a 29 point piece, let's give OR another 25-36 point piece that can do well"
Which seems to be tree sweet spot design cost right now.
FlyingArrow
Posted: Friday, June 14, 2019 10:37:26 AM

Oh - or Kao Cen. He gives her LSFlurry so she could spend just one fp for multiple attacks.
jen'ari
Posted: Friday, June 14, 2019 11:02:46 AM

FlyingArrow wrote:
Oh - or Kao Cen. He gives her LSFlurry so she could spend just one fp for multiple attacks.

Which would be fine for Satele apprentice....
Sidious apprentice is 29. I just don't like the "continuity" of power levels vs cost.

I am glad that she can becone functional with assistance
DarkDracul
Posted: Friday, June 14, 2019 12:04:42 PM

Jedi/ Sith characters over 35pts are difficult to build around unless they're a squad centerpiece.
OR already has several centerpieces; Bastila JM, Revan SC, Valenthyne Farfalla . . .
We wanted her a frontline combatant like in the trailer but ALSO not having to compete for table space with the likes of; Vima Sunrider, Ven Zallow JM, or her generic 37pts version which is still popular among players.

Satele was a 32yo Jedi Knight during the battle of Allderaan. She fought on the frontlines alongside Jace Malcom and other heros of the Republic. It's the battle that defined her as a Jedi but she's nowhere near the height of her power.

Her deep strike with Sokan makes her a solid option. We can wait and see how that plays out and then consider future boosts. I'd love to see her playing in squads focused on Jace Malcom and Troopers.
jen'ari
Posted: Friday, June 14, 2019 12:57:10 PM

I realize she is not full power satele, but Satele as a knight is the same as Anakin as a knight. Top tier.
She should not have a single attack and be so limited.

Are we actually considering farfalla an option right now?
What are the good bastila builds? I am sure they are wookiees and hex droids.
And she costs 33.
And revan is not playable right now.
I don't want to get into an argument i just went to point out that we continue to fail to make pieces that we need and we continue to say "let's add onto it".
But nothing really adds onto it.
Revan has had two sets for pieces to help and nothing has (that has been revealed)
Farfalla has been around for forever.
Ven zallow is awesome but is only played with wookiees.
I just wish OR was free and not so limited.
(And still not playable with Jedi which should be the defining build imo)
jen'ari
Posted: Friday, June 14, 2019 5:50:48 PM

The more I am thinking about this piece the more I just do not understand at all. A quick comparison of the 2 Satele's.

OLD SATELE

8 more cost.
10 less HP
same Defense
1 less Atk Rtg
same damage

Unique and Melee are the same.
Double vs. Single
Bodyguard vs. Sokan
Force Leap (1 force) vs. Dominant Maneuver
Intuition vs. no intuition
Cunning attack vs. Synergy +4 attack
Mettle vs. no mettle
Parry vs. Absorb energy mastery (2 force)

MoF 2 vs. no mastery
Absorb Energy vs. Absorb energy (lightsaber part above)
Force Push 2 vs Force push 4
Lightsaber Assault vs. Force Dash

I don't get how anyone is going to play new Satele over old Satele.
Sokan and Absorb Energy Mastery are cool but she is Force point challenged. and up against the Parry and mettle combo, Intuition, and bodyguard I think it falls short big time.
Let alone the build in 60 damage possibility from 12 squares on the beginning of a turn. 80 damage from 18 if you xt pop Revan.
I mean, she will get played due to being a new piece, but there is simply no way she is can overcome the Parry, mettle, intuition, cunning, mof2 combo that is old Satele imo.
What is the OR Force Battery that can be used?
gandalfthegreatestwizard
Posted: Friday, June 14, 2019 8:27:17 PM

The new Satele isn't as reliant on going first. She can do all of her 12 square move/attacks on her own turn instead of having to Intuition, which can leave old Satele vulnerable in the open. This Satele has more synergy with the Wookiee Commander since she gets two extra attacks instead of one, as well as playing better with Kao Cen Darach who gives her Flurry. She can fit into an Arkanian Jedi General squad to provide some melee/auto-dmg. Old Satele is really good, obviously, but I think there are reasons to play Hero of Alderaan too. Not every mini has to be tier 1 straight away- maybe she'll get another boost later on.