RegisterDonateLogin

Is as precise as Imperial Stormtroopers.

Welcome Guest Active Topics | Members

Star Wars Motion Picture All Time Movie List : 1977-2019 Options
TheHutts
Posted: Tuesday, December 31, 2019 5:19:22 PM
Groups: Member

I scrolled through 10-15 lists on Google (searching for "star wars movies worst to best"), and almost every list had A New Hope and Empire Strikes Back vying for the top position, and Attack of the Clones, Solo, and Phantom Menace in the bottom 3 spots.

A lot of the sequel hate is about Star Wars nerds being upset about the old EU canon getting swept aside (as well as other nit-picks about political correctness and socio-political commentary). But as movies, there's some terrible acting and scripting in the prequels that makes them very problematic.

Probably would have worked much better if Lucas had written the basic stories for all of the movies, then farmed out script-writing and directing to other people. Instead the prequels highlight Lucas' weak points, and the sequels suffer from the loss of his creative vision.
gandalfthegreatestwizard
Posted: Tuesday, December 31, 2019 5:36:21 PM
Groups: Member , Moderator

TheHutts wrote:
A lot of the sequel hate is about Star Wars nerds being upset about the old EU canon getting swept aside

This is exactly why I am not a fan of the sequels and didn't put them on my list. The first Star Wars material I got was books like the Thrawn trilogy, the Jedi Academy trilogy and Darksaber. Ever since then I've loved reading the books and comics and to me they are as fundamental to the story as the movies, if not more so. So to me the reboot is as if Lucasfilm decided that the original trilogy is no longer canon in order to give them room for creative freedom. Naturally my reaction is to ignore the new canon, and get annoyed that they are effectively no longer making content for the continuity that got me into Star Wars.
FlyingArrow
Posted: Tuesday, December 31, 2019 6:16:06 PM

gandalfthegreatestwizard wrote:
TheHutts wrote:
A lot of the sequel hate is about Star Wars nerds being upset about the old EU canon getting swept aside

This is exactly why I am not a fan of the sequels and didn't put them on my list. The first Star Wars material I got was books like the Thrawn trilogy, the Jedi Academy trilogy and Darksaber. Ever since then I've loved reading the books and comics and to me they are as fundamental to the story as the movies, if not more so. So to me the reboot is as if Lucasfilm decided that the original trilogy is no longer canon in order to give them room for creative freedom. Naturally my reaction is to ignore the new canon, and get annoyed that they are effectively no longer making content for the continuity that got me into Star Wars.

I didn't like what they did with the EU, but I hoped the new continuity with movies would make it worth it. It hasn't.

My bigger gripe, though is how they handled the OT in the sequel trilogy.
cassekiel
Posted: Tuesday, December 31, 2019 7:36:53 PM

TheHutts wrote:
I scrolled through 10-15 lists on Google (searching for "star wars movies worst to best"), and almost every list had A New Hope and Empire Strikes Back vying for the top position, and Attack of the Clones, Solo, and Phantom Menace in the bottom 3 spots.

A lot of the sequel hate is about Star Wars nerds being upset about the old EU canon getting swept aside (as well as other nit-picks about political correctness and socio-political commentary). But as movies, there's some terrible acting and scripting in the prequels that makes them very problematic.

Probably would have worked much better if Lucas had written the basic stories for all of the movies, then farmed out script-writing and directing to other people. Instead the prequels highlight Lucas' weak points, and the sequels suffer from the loss of his creative vision.

You are absolutely right and my main issue with them is the weak storyline. Say what you will about the prequels but at least there was a point to the story, actually a pretty good one. George Lucas could have easily gone a much easier route and raked in the profit just the same.
CorellianComedian
Posted: Tuesday, December 31, 2019 11:29:17 PM

I don't like The Last Jedi. I think there's a lot wrong with it. They did some things really well, but many things poorly. I think Abrams did an amazing job of putting out dumpster fires with Rise of Skywalker and making some of Johnson's goofs semi-worthwhile. I utterly despise subverting expectations for its own sake, and that was about 85% of TLJ. Johnson killing off Ackbar so unceremoniously displays, in my opinion, an indisputable lack of understanding of Star Wars.

However... when I went to see TLJ, I went with a big group of friends. We're all nerds, and had been to see TFA and Rogue One together. One friend who came with to TLJ hadn't been with for the other two, but was an established Star Wars fan... or so I thought.

As it turns out, he hadn't seen Star Wars at all. Zero. Zip. Nadda. Not even A New Hope.

And he loved The Last Jedi. Huh

Since then he's seen Rogue One, the prequels, and the other two sequels. What I would consider the worst Star Wars movie was the catalyst for the birth of a new fan. Blink

Since then I've been thinking... yeah, I still really don't like TLJ. I still think Rose was poorly-written and largely unnecessary. I think Rey has been overpowered. I will never accept Johnson's treatment of Ackbar. However...

At the end of the day, Star Wars is Star Wars. From the very beginning, it has thrived on cheesy dialogue, crazy plot twists, and gloriously improbable luck. I still stand by my opinion that TLJ definitely crossed a line from Star Wars cheesiness to obnoxious idealism and poor writing choices, and the sequel trilogy as a whole fell short of what it could have been. But, whether I like the sequels or hate them, they're still dazzling people with larger-than-life tales from a mythical galaxy far, far away, and I don't think I can ask much more than that.
Cap285
Posted: Wednesday, January 1, 2020 10:37:18 AM

This video sums it up. Mike is one of the nicest guys out there. I have actually spoken to him and he is the reason my restoration projects are top-notch. In under 20 minutes, he articulates what many have not been able to since Force Awakens was released. It's sad when truly good people are driven to this. But, even the best people have their limits.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Df1xHolUT-s&t=5s
cassekiel
Posted: Thursday, January 2, 2020 10:24:07 AM

Cap285 wrote:
This video sums it up. Mike is one of the nicest guys out there. I have actually spoken to him and he is the reason my restoration projects are top-notch. In under 20 minutes, he articulates what many have not been able to since Force Awakens was released. It's sad when truly good people are driven to this. But, even the best people have their limits.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Df1xHolUT-s&t=5s

Ok, I watched this and then some of his other Star Wars related videos and his commentary and knowledge of the Star Wars films is astounding. In one of his Dreamland videos he actually talks about the original script for Return of the Jedi. It's pretty obvious that JJ took a lot of his ideas from Rise of Skywalker from that original script. However, in my opinion he did a terrible job with it.
crazybirdman
Posted: Friday, January 3, 2020 5:47:41 AM

Isn't that Abram's gimmick? All flash, no substance?

https://io9.gizmodo.com/rise-of-skywalker-s-writer-and-editor-discuss-some-ling-1840776210

“The producers wanted us to do a completely original take on things so they didn’t actually share the existing script with me,” Terrio told io9.

This is a terrible way to end a trilogy.
cassekiel
Posted: Friday, January 3, 2020 6:03:51 PM

crazybirdman wrote:
Isn't that Abram's gimmick? All flash, no substance?

https://io9.gizmodo.com/rise-of-skywalker-s-writer-and-editor-discuss-some-ling-1840776210

“The producers wanted us to do a completely original take on things so they didn’t actually share the existing script with me,” Terrio told io9.

This is a terrible way to end a trilogy.

Pretty much. I actually think he does well with the flash part. But that doesn't make a good movie. I'm still dumbfounded on why he was chosen for Star Trek which is mostly substance and very little flash. Oh wait, it's Hollywood.....never mind.

But honestly I think he could make good movies if he worked with someone who could actually construct and tell a story. By himself he isn't much different than Michael Bay
kiki
Posted: Monday, January 6, 2020 8:55:25 PM

Just saw Rise of Skywalker;

1. Revenge of the Sith
2. Rogue One
3. Empire
4. New Hope
5. Rise of Skywalker
6. Return of the Jedi
7. Solo
8. Force Awakens
9. The Last Jedi
10. Phantom Menance
11. Attack of the Clones
Cap285
Posted: Monday, March 9, 2020 1:07:02 PM

DarthMaim wrote:
cassekiel wrote:
1 Empire
2 Revenge of the Sith
3 A New Hope
4 The Phantom Menace
5 Return of the Jedi
6. Attack of the Clones
7 Rogue One
8. Clone Wars Movie
9. Solo
10. The Last Jedi
11. The Force Awakens
12. Rise of Skywalker

Note: I personally do not consider the sequel trilogy canon. It's terrible

Why did you even bother wasting your time/money watching "The Rise of Skywalker" if you hated the previous 2.

You haters are a joke ThumbDown

What kind of person starts a thread asking for people's opinions then has a hissy fit because they put the DT last?

**edited by moderator** please watch your language. Thanks!
kezzamachine
Posted: Monday, March 9, 2020 7:36:23 PM

1st= The Phantom Menace, Attack of the Clones, Revenge of the Sith, Solo, Rogue One, A New Hope, Empire Strikes Back, Return of the Jedi, The Force Awakens, The Last Jedi
11th Rise of Skywalker
FWrightCoyle
Posted: Tuesday, March 10, 2020 10:37:39 AM

kezzamachine wrote:
1st= The Phantom Menace, Attack of the Clones, Revenge of the Sith, Solo, Rogue One, A New Hope, Empire Strikes Back, Return of the Jedi, The Force Awakens, The Last Jedi
11th Rise of Skywalker
[bijavascript:insertsmiley('Cool ','/Forums/images/emoticons/msp_cool.gif')ggrin] BigGrin my 1st revenge sith 2nd rise of skywalker 3rd last jedi 4 new hope 5 return jedi 6 empire 7 force awkens 8 solo 9 rouge one 10 attack clone 11 phantom menace
Mando
Posted: Wednesday, March 11, 2020 8:50:56 AM

1 Empire
2 Solo
3 A New Hope
4 Rogue One
5 Return of the Jedi
6. The Force Awakens
7 The Phantom Menace
8. Rise of Skywalker
9. Revenge of the Sith
10. The Last Jedi
11. The Clone Wars movie
12. Attack of the Clones

kind of a different list than most.
At #1, I have to put empire. Every time i watch this movie, i come away impressed at how well constructed of a movie it is!
#2 probably takes some by suprise, but I really loved Solo a lot! felt like the original trilogy and it is very rewatchable for me personally (the Train Heist is probably my favorite action sequence in all the movies).
#3 i have A New Hope because its fun and introduces us to the whole star wars universe with engaging characters and good villians.
#4 Rogue One again captures the feel of the original trilogy and has the best space battle in all the movies.
#5 i have RotJ. I like most of the movie but i do feel like it is 2 movies stuck together to make 1 movie, so i have to knock it down my list for that.
#6 I just watched this movie again recently and really found myself engaged with the tone and characters. Yes it wasn't completely original and copied a lot of elements from A New Hope, but it was a fun movie that i enjoy watching.
#7 is one that I actually quite like a lot, even tho the acting isn't very good and the pacing can be a bit slow also. Other than that tho, the world building is the best of all the movies in the Saga and the music is top notch! Podrace and Maul's lightsaber fights are my favorite things to watch!
#8 I thought this movie was good, just not great. Confusing and rushed, it tried to course correct a trilogy and give closure after the sequel trilogy got interupted by different visions of how the story should play out. I had fun watching it, but i can't ignore the flaws in story telling that really needed to be fleshed out more. The movie should have been 30-45 minutes longer.
#9 Is a favorite of a lot of peoples, but i felt that it didn't do a good job of showing why Anakin fell to the dark side and became Darth Vader. I like the second half of the movie and the very first opening scene. Really wish it had done a better job with Anakin's fall tho which is why i have it placed so low.
#10 Rian Johnson had interesting ideas, but i felt like there are parts of the movie that just don't need to exist and seem like a waste of screen time (for example Canto Bite & Raddus chase scene). I wouldh ave loved it if they showed more of Rey and Kylo, which are my favorite things in the new trilogy. The marvel-esque humor just didn't fit either..
#11 is not last place because at least it lead into the greatest thing we have ever gotten for Star Wars, that being the Clone Wars tv series. Not a very good movie but at least we get introduced to clones being actual characters and see Anakin actual be a compelling character when the other prequel movies failed to do so, so major props for that!
#12 almost completely destroyed the character of Anakin. I only like the parts with Kenobi in this movie. I try to forget the cheesy romance and the lack of character building for one of the best villians in all of science fiction. The Clone Wars tv series really saved his character and showed us why he fell to the dark side.
RE-10
Posted: Tuesday, March 17, 2020 9:39:12 PM

Here's my list and two of my friends. I haven't seen Rise of Skywalker or Solo, so they are missing from my list.

1. Revenge of the Sith
2. Return of the Jedi
3. Empire Strikes Back
4. Attack of the Clones
5. A New Hope
6. Rogue One
7. The Phantom Menace
8. The Force Awakens
9. The Last Jedi

1. Empire Strikes Back
2. Rogue One
3. Attack of the Clones
4. A New Hope
5. Solo
6. The Phantom Menace
7. Revenge of the Sith
8. Return of the Jedi
9. The Force Awakens
10. Rise of Skywalker
11. The Last Jedi

1. Return of the Jedi
2. Revenge of the Sith
3. Empire Strikes Back
4. A New Hope
5. Solo
6. Attack of the Clones
7. Rogue One
8. The Phantom Menace
9. Rise of Skywalker
10. The Force Awakens
11. The Last Jedi
Cap285
Posted: Monday, April 20, 2020 5:25:28 PM

Cap285 wrote:
DarthMaim wrote:
cassekiel wrote:
1 Empire
2 Revenge of the Sith
3 A New Hope
4 The Phantom Menace
5 Return of the Jedi
6. Attack of the Clones
7 Rogue One
8. Clone Wars Movie
9. Solo
10. The Last Jedi
11. The Force Awakens
12. Rise of Skywalker

Note: I personally do not consider the sequel trilogy canon. It's terrible

Why did you even bother wasting your time/money watching "The Rise of Skywalker" if you hated the previous 2.

You haters are a joke ThumbDown

What kind of person starts a thread asking for people's opinions then has a hissy fit because they put the DT last?

**edited by moderator** please watch your language. Thanks!

Consider it done my friend. Apologies.
harryg
Posted: Monday, April 20, 2020 7:39:02 PM

1. Empire
2. New Hope
3. Revenge of the Sith
4. Return of the Jedi
5. Rogue One
6. Attack of the Clones
7. Phantom Menace
8. Solo
9. Clone Wars movie (as a theatrical movie, that is. I don't have much of a gripe at all with this or anything else from Clone Wars besides that this should have just been a TV special. I don't even regret watching it in a theater or think it's bad, I just think it's a bad thing to compare to the other theatrical Star Wars movies)
10. Force Awakens
Tie for last place: Last Jedi/Rise of Skywalker as they are equally terrible and Force Awakens is only above it as it feels slightly less hollow (as well as the fact that it seems to some extent like the characters from the OT don't look as dead inside)