RegisterDonateLogin

It's exactly what it sounds like.

Welcome Guest Active Topics | Members

Our not-so-great tournament scoring system Options
jak
Posted: Friday, May 1, 2020 6:55:48 AM
Groups: Member

General_Grievous wrote:
Thereisnotry convinced me, you have my bow.

and my axe!
thereisnotry
Posted: Friday, May 1, 2020 7:32:21 AM

I'd be totally fine with a 3-2-0 system, if that's what people would like.

But the more I think about it, the more I like the 7-4-1 system. This way, there is some clear ranking for those who end up in the bottom of the bracket: those who've lost several games but played well should rank higher than those who've lost the same number of games but got blown out. So I think giving 1pt losses is a good thing. But the 7-4-1 spread pretty much guarantees that someone with a lot of losses cannot catch someone who has a lot of partial wins. And it also makes it even more important to get full wins rather than partial wins.

Personally, I think we should try the 7-4-1 system at an upcoming tournament (perhaps the Carolina Regional next week?) and see how it goes. Keep good records and compare how things would be different if we still used a 3-2-1 or even a 3-2-0 system.
TimmerB123
Posted: Friday, May 1, 2020 10:17:10 AM

The app most of us use (tourney tracker) has 3-2-1 as the defaults, but there might be a way to alter the point amounts.

what I don't think it can do right now is differentiate between a high score partial win and a low score partial win.
The more I think about it, the sillier it seems that we reward the losing player for reaching 100pts, but don't reward the winning player for getting there (thereby making it a disincentive to not score 100pts, win or lose)

Right now it is 100% equivalent to win 199-0 as it is to win 5-3. That's insane.

I don't mind keeping the 1pt, but if you really think about it, low scoring games (both players under 100) are just as much, if not more-so, the winner's fault as it is the losers. That's why I think it should be a part that factors into the 7 point system 5pts for a high score partial win and 4pts for a low score partial win.

Now I'm sure Rich would update the app if we adopted a new system, but I think it might be a bit much top ask him to do it in a week just for a test and change it back after.

We could run it like what we have now (3-2-1), let that be the official results. Then compare how it would have turned out with the 7 point system (7-5-4-1).

We do have 1 real world example in this thread, which I found interesting. Most the the results didn't change too much, but the few minor changes that happened seemed appropriate.

So it might not end up changing any results in any particular tournament (which is actually good, I don't think anyone wants a massive change that completely makes results different). What this would actually be is a refining tweak. It's more about covering the bases for what shouldn't happen in very specific cases.

The problems with 3-2-1:
-Players have no incentive to score more in a win if they aren't going to reach 200.
-Players can "catch up" in a tournament without full wins fairly easily by scoring 100pts in a loss.
-Full Wins are not rewarded enough.

What the 7 POINT SYSTEM does:
-Incentivise players to reach 100pts no matter what, win or lose.
-reward a higher point percentage for FULL WINS.
-retain a reward for a HIGH SCORE LOSS, but have it be a much lower percentage.
Chargers
Posted: Friday, May 1, 2020 11:07:53 AM

TimmerB123 wrote:
I propose:

A) Record
B) Head to head
C) Tournament score
D-F) Mutliple strength of schedule measures.

Record reflects how many games you won and the tournament score reflects how wide or close the margin of victory was. Your recent post suggests a point system for a high point win vs a low point win. Why make this more complex than it needs to be?

A) record
B) head-to-head (1v1 head-to-head, that is; none of that all-or-none head-to-head crap)
C) kill and gambit* points scored in game

If I win my game by scoring 172 points while you win your game scoring 96 points, I'm ranked ahead of you. Done.

* Sidetracking for a moment: Gambit points need to be reined in. 5 points was good and encouraged battling vs turtling. 10 points is excessive ... a) it typically rewards the first person to win the race to get there, not necessarily the one trying to fight and b) games can be won on gambit points and not kill points, and kill points are the basis of the game. Take it back to 5 points, but keep it that only 10+ point figures can earn it. Yeah, I get the 'but I'm risking a 10 point figure so I should get 10 points' argument. But realistically it becomes a risk of a 10 point figure to earn 10*multiple rounds of gambit. That's not balanced.
TimmerB123
Posted: Friday, May 1, 2020 2:00:06 PM

Chargers wrote:
TimmerB123 wrote:
I propose:

A) Record
B) Head to head
C) Tournament score
D-F) Mutliple strength of schedule measures.

Record reflects how many games you won and the tournament score reflects how wide or close the margin of victory was. Your recent post suggests a point system for a high point win vs a low point win. Why make this more complex than it needs to be?

A) record
B) head-to-head (1v1 head-to-head, that is; none of that all-or-none head-to-head crap)
C) kill and gambit* points scored in game

If I win my game by scoring 172 points while you win your game scoring 96 points, I'm ranked ahead of you. Done.

Hey Tim, great to see you active on on the boards!

Another post earlier in this thread suggested using game points, and I responded there. In short - it seems "less complicated", but it actually is far more complicated.

As to record being the primary determining factor - I think the resistance is far too strong. I have given up that battle in order to try and win the war.

Chargers wrote:

As to head to head, that is how it is currently (and perhaps I didn't explain it well).

If only 2 players are tied at this point, then it's simple head to head, period.

If 3 (or more) players are tied, how do you determine? Well if one player beat the other 2 (in a 3-way tie), then it seems pretty obvious. But if it's a round robin (A beat B, B beat C, C beat A) -or- nobody beat all the others (A beat B, B beat C, A and C never played), then this criteria is skipped and you go to the next tie-breaker.

It actually makes sense and is as it should be imo. It seems complicated (probably because I over-explained it), but it's really not. Usually it's only 2 players tied at this point, and it's easy to decipher then.

Chargers wrote:
* Sidetracking for a moment: Gambit points need to be reined in. 5 points was good and encouraged battling vs turtling. 10 points is excessive ... a) it typically rewards the first person to win the race to get there, not necessarily the one trying to fight and b) games can be won on gambit points and not kill points, and kill points are the basis of the game. Take it back to 5 points, but keep it that only 10+ point figures can earn it. Yeah, I get the 'but I'm risking a 10 point figure so I should get 10 points' argument. But realistically it becomes a risk of a 10 point figure to earn 10*multiple rounds of gambit. That's not balanced.

I cannot express how much I agree with you here! It's really just a way for games to end artificially early (again - I am a true believer that the game isn't really over until one entire squad is eliminated). It allows for lock-ins (as opposed to lock outs), and has been shown to be entirely abusable. I recognize the need for gambit, and the opposite is still worse, but I think a "happy medium" of 5 pts would be fantastic to bring back.

+1,000,000,000 to Charger's clear and concise comments on 10pt gambit.
DarthMaim
Posted: Monday, May 11, 2020 10:29:34 PM

+1 to Chargers suggestion to change the Gambit rule to "10pt mini in Gambit to score 5 pts" ThumpUp
CorellianComedian
Posted: Monday, May 11, 2020 10:55:19 PM

Not a competitive player, but I'd throw my vote behind Charger's suggestion as well. I can think of a few times off the top of my head where I won a game I shouldn't have because of high gambit.
Darth O
Posted: Tuesday, May 12, 2020 12:55:29 AM

Agreed on Chargers' gambit suggestion also. Risking a 10 point piece to score 10 points is not a gambit.
FlyingArrow
Posted: Tuesday, May 12, 2020 6:59:52 AM
Groups: Member , Moderator

Another option on gambit... gambit scores aren't added in until time expires. Then a game doesn't end on gambit right before the other squad was going to kill your last piece.

"Hm. All I have left is Droopy and 3 Mouse Droids, but with my 7 rounds of gambit I win. Too bad for that Darth Revan you have standing right next to Droopy."
TimmerB123
Posted: Tuesday, May 12, 2020 11:48:45 AM

FlyingArrow wrote:
Another option on gambit... gambit scores aren't added in until time expires. Then a game doesn't end on gambit right before the other squad was going to kill your last piece.

"Hm. All I have left is Droopy and 3 Mouse Droids, but with my 7 rounds of gambit I win. Too bad for that Darth Revan you have standing right next to Droopy."

yeah, good point. I think that should be the case regardless.

Gambit has been heavily abused, and our game has gotten further away from one squad being entirely defeated at the end of a game.
TimmerB123
Posted: Tuesday, May 12, 2020 12:28:43 PM

Constantly evolving.

Based on gambit ideas - it could be incorporated into the

7 point system

7pts = TRUE Full win (You defeated ALL your opponents characters)

6pts = high score partial win 200+ pts (but the opponent had characters left)

5pts = mid score partial win 100-199pts

4pts = low score partial win (>100pts)

1pt = high score loss (100+ pts)

0pts = loss (>100pts)

Thoughts?
FlyingArrow
Posted: Tuesday, May 12, 2020 2:57:40 PM

I don't like the difference between 6 and 7. You shouldn't have to chase down back row commanders if Gambit points covers them.
FlyingArrow
Posted: Tuesday, May 12, 2020 3:00:03 PM

A potentially simpler way to put it... 1 tournament point per 100 points earned in a skirmish, plus 4 points for a win.
TimmerB123
Posted: Tuesday, May 12, 2020 6:00:10 PM

FlyingArrow wrote:
I don't like the difference between 6 and 7. You shouldn't have to chase down back row commanders if Gambit points covers them.

Yes, I think this is valid. It can be a fine line. Some cases are not so clear cut
TimmerB123
Posted: Tuesday, May 12, 2020 8:06:41 PM

Upon more contemplation, gambit is its own issue and should be handled separately (see other thread), and doesn’t need to be folded into here in that specific way.

7/5/4/1 is good enough
TimmerB123
Posted: Wednesday, May 13, 2020 7:59:00 AM

FlyingArrow wrote:
A potentially simpler way to put it... 1 tournament point per 100 points earned in a skirmish, plus 4 points for a win.

That math doesn't add up

1 (100-199 pts) + 4 (win) = 5 (check)
2 (200+ pts) + 4 (win) = 6. (not 7 as proposed)

This is intentional. The base argument for changing the system is that a high score loss + a low score partial win should not be equivalent to a Full win (200+ pts) plus a low score loss. Full wins deserve greater weight.

(unless of course you didn't mean 200 = 2pts when you said "per 100pts. So if you meant you receive +1 tournament point (win or lose) if you scored 100+ pts and did not achieve a full win. Then yes.)

So to reiterate:

7 point system

7pts = Full win (200+ pts)

5pts = high score partial win (100-199pts)

4pts = low score partial win (>100pts)

0pts = loss (>100pts)

I really like 7/5/4/1. Beyond that, the other question in the back of my mind is that a partial win should be held to a higher standard to recieve 1 point than a loss. 100pts shouldn't really be an "achievement" in a win. I'm thinking we should up it to 125 or 150. Thoughts?
TimmerB123
Posted: Thursday, May 14, 2020 3:12:13 PM

After a long fruitful conversation with Bryan about many different things, here's some thoughts.

My main goal in all of this is to get back to what the game was meant to be - one squad killing ALL of the other squad.

I think most everyone agrees that it is ultimately what should happen, and the most satisfyingly clear cut when it does.

So what do we do with the rest? I think we all agree awe don't want to regress to 15-18pt matches. My hope is to incentivize players to REALLY finish their games. Several factors, while well intended, have actually brought us away from that goal.

So how do we get closer to that goal?

In the discussion between Bryan and I - we both seemed to agree that full wins (currently 3pt wins) should be what every player is trying to get. It does currently have incentive, but there is a flip side when you factor in 1pt losses. 1 pt wins ALLOW players to get 2pt (partial) wins, and catch up. Does there need to be greater incentive? Of course the flip side of that is: what is the incentive for the losing player if there is little to no reward at all to engage in a losing proposition.

I think there was STRONG agreement that a 15-18pt game should not be the same as a 199-5pt game, as it is currently. The 7 point system addresses that, but Bryan feels that the difference between 7 and 1 is too great.

Throwing this out there - how about simply 4-3-2-1?

FOUR point system

4pts = Full win (200+ pts)

3pts = high score partial win (100-199pts or 125? or 150?)

2pts = low score partial win (>100pts or 125? or 150?)

0pts = low score loss (>100pts)

The gap isn't nearly so great as the 7 point system, but there is incentive to score higher even in unfinished games.

Furthermore - I think adding a tiebreaker of most full wins back in to the tie breaking system (it should have never left) is imperative as well.

As to gambit - I'll talk about that in the other thread.

TimmerB123
Posted: Wednesday, May 20, 2020 6:57:24 PM

It seems like we are starting to funnel down to more general agreement that disagreement about points for gambit (certainly not decided, but much closer than before)

I'd like to get feedback on the idea in the prior post (We all sorta got distracted with the other threads.)

The 4 point system (4-3-2-1)

I think virtually everyone agrees that when BOTH players score under 100, that is not what we are looking for. Yet currently a game that finishes with a score of 3-8 is the same tournament score as 199-0.

When Bryan and I talked, he enthusiastically emphasized that having a different tournament score for the 2 types of partial wins was something he agreed with.

And I think the minimum should be higher than 100 (winners should have to score more to get that extra point than a player that lost a game, right?). I like 125 personally

TimmerB123 wrote:
FOUR point system

3pts = high score partial win (125-199pts)

2pts = low score partial win (>125pts)

0pts = low score loss (>100pts)

jen'ari
Posted: Wednesday, May 20, 2020 10:53:54 PM

FOUR point system

3pts = high score partial win (125-199pts)

2pts = low score partial win (<125pts)

0pts = low score loss (<100pts)

This system is good but it still does not answer the question. Why would a 206-188 win get more points than a 199-0 win?
Or a more reasonable look at it: a 212 - 146 win get more than a 184-48 win?
The winner who scored 184 points way more than tripled the score of his/her opponent. (3.83 x's)
While the 212 winner beat his opponent by 1.45 x's.
It would seem that that the 184 winner truly dominated the match. In that match the opponent did not have a chance.

I would add the following:

4 pts = Win by a Gambit difference of 100 or more

This way people have another way to get 4 pts when facing against an opponent who hides, stalls, locks doors, etc.

Also, losing 212-100 is the same as losing 187-175? I don't get that either. if we want to award engaging the opponent and still make it difficult for the loser to get more then 1 pt. we could say:

2 pts = loss with at least 150 Gambit and within 25 gambit of the opponent.

This way the opponent has to have a 3 pt win and could have a 4 pt win.
Darth_Frenchy
Posted: Thursday, February 4, 2021 11:44:24 PM

I don't think it matters if you get to 125 if your opponent was at 120. If we were going to make any change to scoring I think margin of victory scoring would be the direction to go. Otherwise you really are just giving points for playing fast, which appears to be a key complaint in this thread. As opposed to the Margin of victory, points killed/Gambit scored compared to your opponent.

Example: point difference between you and your opponent
0-29 points: 6 points winner/ 5 points loser
30-69 points: 7 points winner/ 4 points loser
70-109 points: 8 points winner/ 3 points loser
110-149 points: 9 points winner/ 2 points loser
150-200 points: 10 points winner/ 1 point loser

If not that then I could also be for 4-3-1 scoring. As I do not think a loss should be half as valuable as a tie breaker win or partial win. This is just at a glance however, I would need to spend more time on this to formulate a proper opinion. There could also be something to 4-3-2-1 scoring. Have to look more at it.