Welcome Guest Active Topics | Members

Squadbuilding Depth Tournament - Sat May 23rd Options
TimmerB123
Posted: Monday, May 11, 2020 3:27:54 PM
Groups: Member

spryguy1981 wrote:
No Bastila (the vset 1 version)

No Bastila (of ANY version) for me!

Of course I just played her 2 days ago, so I wasn't planning on it.
TimmerB123
Posted: Monday, May 11, 2020 3:28:54 PM

UrbanShmi wrote:
This is tough for J, having to build his own squads Blink
LOL
TimmerB123
Posted: Monday, May 11, 2020 3:34:05 PM

Repeating that challenge for me (or helping me narrow my options) another time

Next two people to respond:

(Except Darth O, Spry, Laura and Trevor - they already got one so they are out for this)

Same Caveat - must be players that have already or are committing to playing in this (or at least going to genuinely make an effort to play in this):

Pick a unique I cannot use in ANY of my squads. (Remember, I already can’t play Rebels or All Fringe, so saying General Rieekan or Talon Karrde IB will be pretty much unnecessary. Bastila and Mandalore the Vindicated are out too)
DarkDracul
Posted: Monday, May 11, 2020 10:24:53 PM

How bout no Admiral Gilad Pellaeon. BigGrin
jak
Posted: Tuesday, May 12, 2020 9:25:39 AM

Tim, are you on complete unemployment?Unsure
you seem to have a lot of time on you handsFlapper

I know I'm not "qualified' to answer, but just roll a dice to determine your choice
I know you hate dice, but they're part of the gaming worldThumpUp
use some besides a D20 for a change
dice now come in all shapes and flavors

ps-red is still my favorite flavor
TimmerB123
Posted: Tuesday, May 12, 2020 11:56:03 AM

jak wrote:
Tim, are you on complete unemployment?Unsure
you seem to have a lot of time on you handsFlapper

Yes I am, that's the whole point. My entire industry is on lockdown and I won't be able to return to work until June 23rd at the earliest.

Saturdays seem to be the best day to play for most people, and in normal times, I almost alway have to work on Saturdays.

So what better way to spend that time than play minis!
TimmerB123
Posted: Tuesday, May 12, 2020 11:58:08 AM

DarkDracul wrote:
How bout no Admiral Gilad Pellaeon. BigGrin

Alrighty - no Pellaeon.

Though wouldn't it have been satisfying to have me show up with Pellaeon and watch my face when you show up with Booster Terrik? Lol. It will have to be another time then.
AceAce
Posted: Tuesday, May 12, 2020 1:47:38 PM

I'm in
TimmerB123
Posted: Tuesday, May 12, 2020 4:52:26 PM

AceAce wrote:
I'm in

Nice! Welcome aboard!
TimmerB123
Posted: Wednesday, May 13, 2020 7:44:09 AM

TimmerB123 wrote:
Repeating that challenge for me (or helping me narrow my options) another time

Next two people to respond:

(Except Darth O, Spry, Laura and Trevor - they already got one so they are out for this)

Same Caveat - must be players that have already or are committing to playing in this (or at least going to genuinely make an effort to play in this):

Pick a unique I cannot use in ANY of my squads. (Remember, I already can’t play Rebels or All Fringe, so saying General Rieekan or Talon Karrde IB will be pretty much unnecessary. Bastila and Mandalore the Vindicated are out too)

Jason and Mike I think we are down to you two (of those that have currently expressed interest). What unique should I knock off my list?
TimmerB123
Posted: Wednesday, May 13, 2020 7:54:25 AM

Heads up - If our number of players increase, I'll up the squad requirement to 5 squads. ThumbsUp

Also - we will likely be instituting some form of the new gambit proposal. Likely that gambit will only be 5 points, but must still be gained by a (non-reinforcement) piece that costs 10 or more. Gambit will be added to the score AFTER the game finishes. (In other words, reaching 200 including gambit will not trigger the game to end). Let's REALLY finish the games! If you have thoughts on this - I encourage you to put it in the thread!

10 point gambit abuse

As to the 7 point system for tournament scoring, I plan to cross check after the tournament for comparison. We don't currently have a quick efficient way to score this during the tournament, so I will run the tournament on Tourney Tracker with the current 3-2-1 scoring system. Those will be the official results, we will just cross reference it with what would have been the results with the 7 point system for data purposes. Here's that thread if you haven't seen it.

Our not-so-great tournament scoring system
thereisnotry
Posted: Thursday, May 14, 2020 7:48:58 AM

So, can we send our squads yet?
TimmerB123
Posted: Thursday, May 14, 2020 9:59:19 AM

thereisnotry wrote:

TimmerB123 wrote:
Squads and maps due in to me by Thursday May 21st at 2pm central (2 days before we start).
But not before Tuesday May 19th at 2pm Central. (That is my deadline to send my stuff to a neutral party)

I haven't finalized mine yet! But I do love your enthusiasm!!!

I will let everyone know here when I have submitted mine to a neutral party. (No later than Tuesday)
DarkDracul
Posted: Thursday, May 14, 2020 10:47:56 AM

Sorry, I must respectfully withdraw from this tournament.
It is not what I thought I was signing up for.
I am not interested in playing under this system.
thereisnotry
Posted: Thursday, May 14, 2020 12:32:13 PM

TimmerB123 wrote:
thereisnotry wrote:

TimmerB123 wrote:
Squads and maps due in to me by Thursday May 21st at 2pm central (2 days before we start).
But not before Tuesday May 19th at 2pm Central. (That is my deadline to send my stuff to a neutral party)

I haven't finalized mine yet! But I do love your enthusiasm!!!

I will let everyone know here when I have submitted mine to a neutral party. (No later than Tuesday)
Oops, nevermind. I somehow had it in my head that the deadline was this week, not next week. Move along. Move along.
TimmerB123
Posted: Thursday, May 14, 2020 2:42:51 PM

DarkDracul wrote:
Sorry, I must respectfully withdraw from this tournament.
It is not what I thought I was signing up for.
I am not interested in playing under this system.

I had a really constructive conversation with Bryan about his concerns. We actually see eye to eye on many different things within the topic. It became clear that there were a couple factors:

A) There was a misunderstanding that the 7 point system would be what this tournament will be run under.
-Let me be clear (which I probably was not before). This tournament will be run under the current 3-2-1 system using the Tourney Tracker app. I will cross reference what (if any) changes might have happened in the 7 point system purely for data collection, AFTER the tournament is over.

B) Some of what the system entails as well as thoughts on gambit were misunderstood. I will go into more of that in each of the appropriate threads, but long story short - TOTALLY my fault for the long meandering stream-of-conciousness original post about our tourament scoring system. It's no wonder some people are getting the wrong impression - I was all over the map! I'll talk more about it in that thread.

C) Bryan put a lot of work into play testing and advocating for 10pt gambit, which I was largely unaware of. So of course it would strike a nerve that it is being discussed about being changed in such an impersonal way.

It was never my intent to force my views of our tournament scoring system and/or/gambit on anybody. Since I literally didn't see anything other than agreement in the threads (once I made myself a little more clear), I incorrectly assumed nobody would have an issue with giving it a try in a fun tournament.

He brought up many valid points about the value of 10pt gambit. Re-examining what my core issue is with the game straying away from its roots, the culprit isn't actually 10pt gambit. It's games not truly finishing (to be clear - I mean killing all an opponents pieces). 10pt gambit contributes to that only if it ends games before the time limit.

So - in light of all that - (and by all means Bryan - let me know if I have any of this incorrect) Bryan is not opposed to gambit points not ending games before time (ie adding gambit at the end.), but does have strong feelings about 10 pt. gambit.

THEREFORE -

For this tournament -

We will use current regulation 3-2-1 scoring, and 10pt gambit.

However - the one and only change will be that games don't finish just because you reach 200pts.
Keep playing until either:

-One player has no pieces worth points left on the board (reinforcements do not count, just as they don't currently)

-The round you are on when time is up ends (just like currently)

And by all means let me know if there are concerns.
thereisnotry
Posted: Thursday, May 14, 2020 3:41:22 PM

Does this mean Bryan is back in? I hope so.
TimmerB123
Posted: Thursday, May 14, 2020 3:58:31 PM

thereisnotry wrote:
Does this mean Bryan is back in? I hope so.

He'll have to confirm, but that seems to be the case. He said he was excited about the format, but essentially felt like the rug was pulled out from under him with the later addition of changing 10pt gambit to 5pts, (as well as misunderstanding in thinking we'd be using the 7pt system - which again is my fault for not being clear enough).

So I certainly hope to have him (and everyone else) participate in this tournament without hesitation or doubts. I want us all to have FUN above all. Lets play some MINIS!!!
DarkDracul
Posted: Thursday, May 14, 2020 4:22:34 PM

I'm super excited about this tournament and very much looking forward to playing. I've been upset by some of the talks of changing the game and didn't want to participate when I thought this tournament was turning into that. Now I realize I was mistaken and this is mainly a standard event with Tim practicing some voodoo afterward. I'm totally fine with that and with continuing gameplay beyond 200pts when there are enemies than need be killed.

I'll leave any further discussion for the relevant threads if I ever get my thoughts properly formulated.
Thanks for the good conversation and for reaching out to me Tim.
I would have hated to miss out on this tournament over a misunderstanding. No Bloo Milk
TimmerB123
Posted: Thursday, May 14, 2020 4:29:54 PM

DarkDracul wrote:
Thanks for the good conversation and for reaching out to me Tim.
I would have hated to miss out on this tournament over a misunderstanding. No Bloo Milk

ThumbsUp