RegisterDonateLogin

Banned from the 'silly' message boards.

Welcome Guest Active Topics | Members

10 point gambit abuse Options
TimmerB123
Posted: Sunday, May 17, 2020 10:25:40 PM
Groups: Member

To answer you question - anyone can concede at any time with no penalty. I’d concede if I had no real attackers left. Rooting out commanders isn’t the issue. You’re gonna get your full victory points regardless if you hit 200.

This would be solely to finish out games that deserve to be finished.
TimmerB123
Posted: Sunday, May 17, 2020 10:30:35 PM

CorellianComedian wrote:
If gambit changes to be more annihilation-friendly, awesome. I'll plan for that and maybe bring fewer helpless interns in my squads.

See, this really proves the point. Already the mindset is - more engagement, less scrubs.

Looks like a win/win to me
FlyingArrow
Posted: Sunday, May 17, 2020 10:39:50 PM
Groups: Member , Moderator

You still don't have to go hunt commanders for a full win. If your kills+Gambit would put you over 200, you can just stay in Gambit and get your full win when time runs out. But if those commanders can come out and kill you before time is up, more power to them. They won.

Tim at one point did suggest a distinction between an annihilation win and a 200 points (including Gambit) win. But that's not on the table right now, and I'm opposed to that change. Chasing down 20hp back row tech should not be mandatory for a full win.
jen'ari
Posted: Sunday, May 17, 2020 10:42:28 PM

Gambit is great. Let's face it though some pieces are meant to stay in the back. Rightfully so, they are non combatant types.
However, that gives stall tactics a clear advantage. With closed doors and diplomats and cloaked characters etc.
I wish there was a way to reward aggressive play.
I don't know how but thoughts could be
If you kill a commander in the opponents starting area plus 10 gambit.
Or
Every time you kill 3 opponents add 5 to gambit.
So you kill 3 ugnaughts that's 11 gambit.
This would be fun because it can help stop 3 pt piece abuse.
gandalfthegreatestwizard
Posted: Sunday, May 17, 2020 10:48:34 PM

FlyingArrow wrote:
You still don't have to go hunt commanders for a full win. If your kills+Gambit would put you over 200, you can just stay in Gambit and get your full win when time runs out. But if those commanders can come out and kill you before time is up, more power to them. They won.

Having to wait around in gambit for however long the game has left doesn't sound too interesting.
FlyingArrow
Posted: Sunday, May 17, 2020 10:51:41 PM

gandalfthegreatestwizard wrote:
FlyingArrow wrote:

Having to wait around in gambit for however long the game has left doesn't sound too interesting.

Agreed. Hopefully the opponent would concede or bring out the commanders since there's no advantage of hiding in the back anyway.
TimmerB123
Posted: Monday, May 18, 2020 4:04:12 AM

Everyone keeps talking about chasing down commanders hiding in the back row. They are allowed to sit there only while engagement is happening. If they don’t come out to fight when they are all that is left (and the opponent doesn’t concede), then that is textbook stalling and illegal. Call a judge/TO.

There are already rules in place to prevent this.

Really - please stop presenting scenarios as counter arguments that already have existing solutions.

Honestly, what I gotta expect will happen is many players will concede if the other reaches 200. The games that continue will be the ones where both player still have a chance to kill all their opponents pieces. And that’s the point of all of this.
AceAce
Posted: Monday, May 18, 2020 10:51:16 AM

From 2015...

670. Scoring and Standings (All Tournament Formats) Victory In all tournament formats, a victory shall be awarded 3 match points to the winner of the match. A victory is declared when the match is completed by one of the players by either destroying his opponent’s entire squad or by scoring the required number of victory points (for example in a 150 point match victory is declared when 150 or more points is scored). A bye for the round is considered a complete game victory and shall be awarded 3 match points.

Gambit promotes interaction. We play first to 200 or 199, 198 or whatever your opponent's squad listed for. We all can think of scenarios to benefit our particular point of view, so this is not a worthy way to decide the question. The fact is, if someone will not engage and wants to out activate and attack late as many players will do, gambit scoring is a way to force them to engage and allow for their opponent a chance to achieve points toward their needed victory total that would not be available otherwise, at least without a suicide run.

Honestly, the system is fine. I have zero interest in being forced to play to kill an entire squad before counting gambit points. Saying that, I have had many games where an opponent hit 200 points before me and if we kept playing, I would have won and even easily as my pieces were often relatively unscathed. I think of Vong squads in particular with recent powerhouse squads being able to smash opponents to pieces while more than 50 points of commanders were in the rear. Only in the end would they emerge and head towards to fray and only if necessary. This is not a desirable interaction and at least gambit offers the opponent a chance to gain points that definitely would not be attainable if playing to the defeat of all enemy characters were required.

Slow play is a much more detrimental factor in our game. If anything, there should be a minimum number of rounds required in the 60 minute time limit. Honestly, if 6 rounds of play in 60 minutes were required, the chances that game scoring would be higher would seem likely to increase -- which would be a good thing.
TimmerB123
Posted: Monday, May 18, 2020 11:37:07 AM

AceAce wrote:
Gambit promotes interaction.

I don't think anyone is arguing that it doesn't

AceAce wrote:
I have zero interest in being forced to play to kill an entire squad before counting gambit points.

I think there is a fundamental misunderstanding of what is being proposed here. You would not have to do that.

AceAce wrote:
I have had many games where an opponent hit 200 points before me and if we kept playing, I would have won and even easily as my pieces were often relatively unscathed. I think of Vong squads in particular with recent powerhouse squads being able to smash opponents to pieces while more than 50 points of commanders were in the rear. Only in the end would they emerge and head towards to fray and only if necessary.

The scenario you described above is what we are trying to prevent. ONLY THIS.

Quote:
This is not a desirable interaction and at least gambit offers the opponent a chance to gain points that definitely would not be attainable if playing to the defeat of all enemy characters were required.

Again - a fundamental misunderstanding here. You'd still score gambit like normal. If a player is left without combatants with time left then you're gonna get your full win no matter what. You don't have to go kill characters that don't do damage, because that player would concede (there would be literally no point to playing that out. It is done.)

If time is still left and both players have characters that can do damage, then finish the fight. It's as simple as that.

We are trying to encourage more engagement, not less.

Quote:
670. Scoring and Standings (All Tournament Formats) Victory In all tournament formats, a victory shall be awarded X match points to the winner of the match. A victory is declared when the match is completed by one of the players by either destroying his opponent’s entire squad or by scoring the required number of victory points (for example in a 150 point match victory is declared when 150 or more points is scored) . A bye for the round is considered a complete game victory and shall be awarded X match points.

There - fixed. Made simpler and prevents squads from winning early due to gambit.
Chargers
Posted: Monday, May 18, 2020 1:02:33 PM

FlyingArrow wrote:
Having more rounds of gambit shows that they were the one trying to engage.

No it doesn't. It shows they got to the middle first. They may have locked the room and kept their opponent out. They may have forced their opponent into a flanking maneuver. Or they may have set up the kill zone hallway for the enemy to 'willingly' to into to try to get some, any, points they could.

Earning gambit allows for more chance of engagement, but it doesn't guarantee it.

UrbanShmi wrote:
... You either make up for it with gambit, or you go after that piece.

See?

You can win by killing or gaining gambit. The rules allow it, so I'm not faulting the players. We're all playing by the same rules. But I just don't think the current rules promote better games.

I support the thought that games don't end at 200 points by adding gambit after the game finishes or time is called.

But I also strongly believe scaling gambit back will promote engagement and not an alternate win.

thereisnotry wrote:
Therefore, if it's true that people are fully engaging in the game and in combat, then why bother reconsidering how Gambit works? If it ain't broke, then don't call the repairman.

That was the mentality of Nascar fans until a few years ago. Then Nascar changed the system. Fans bashed the idea before the season started. Then they saw it action. Huh. Races got more interesting by rewarding drivers for winning rather than consistent, safe wins. The product got better because they have incentivized 'the type of game they want to have played.'

jen'ari wrote:
I wish there was a way to reward aggressive play.

See post #5 in this thread for some options. That guy is a genius. BigGrin
TimmerB123
Posted: Monday, May 18, 2020 2:21:33 PM

Chargers wrote:
(a lot of really smart, concise and accurate things)

You have put many of the thoughts in my head into words better than I've been able to. Thank you

TimmerB123
Posted: Tuesday, May 19, 2020 6:31:29 PM

Another idea I'll throw out to ya'll -

Gambit is not earned if both players are in gambit.

The purpose of gambit has been achieved, so it is not necessary in that case.

It then becomes only something to prevent someone from not coming forward.
CorellianComedian
Posted: Tuesday, May 19, 2020 7:26:25 PM

TimmerB123 wrote:

That sounds awesome! Would love to see that attempted some time.

Heck, next time me and Lafcadio play I'll see if he wants to give it a go.

Thank you Timmer for starting these discussions, and thank you and everyone else for discussing civilly and bringing your perspectives and great ideas to the conversation ThumpUp
thereisnotry
Posted: Tuesday, May 19, 2020 8:29:04 PM

TimmerB123 wrote:

Interesting. On first glance think I like this option more than the other (about continuing until the entire squad is destroyed). That would prevent gambit points from artificially finishing games before combat has concluded (ie, all combatants defeated). And then when you have defeated your opponent’s attackers, gambit would kick in again because you’d be the only player scoring gambit.

And for clarification, in order for a piece to be counted as “in gambit,” that piece must be able to actually score gambit (that is, 10+ pts and not a reinforcement).
TimmerB123
Posted: Tuesday, May 19, 2020 9:43:30 PM

Yes. Everything the same as now except you only score gambit if only you are the sole player to have a qualifying piece(s) in gambit.
Chargers
Posted: Wednesday, May 20, 2020 12:47:51 PM

TimmerB123 wrote:

That's kind of along the lines of one of the options I suggested. (If you're engaging, neither side earns gambit. But my definition of engaging allowed for more than sitting in the center.)

Would we also consider expanding the gambit zone? The middle 'plus sign' (within four squares) is pretty restrictive. I'd like to see that open up.
thereisnotry
Posted: Wednesday, May 20, 2020 1:33:50 PM

TimmerB123 wrote:

The more I think about it, the more I'm inclined to wonder if this might be the best way to go. Just sayin'.

As I continued to think about it, though, I wrestled with the truth of TJ's comment that fewer games would reach 200 if this were the case. So we clearly do need gambit, but there seems to be a degree of consensus that having 50-60pts of gambit after 5-6 rounds is probably a bit too much.

That's when I came up with a variation of what you've suggested here. I'll offer this suggestion and let people see what they think:

Quote:
"Each round, a player earns 5pts if he has a piece (10+ cost, non-reinforcement) in the gambit zone. If his opponent does not have a piece in the gambit zone, then that player earns an additional 5 points." [I'm sure the wording would need to be improved.]

So basically, there are 10pts of gambit up for grabs every round...if your opponent doesn't isn't there to grab his gambit points, then you can take them. After all, you don't wanna let points go to waste! Laugh

What this does is still provide solid incentive for a player to advance into combat; if you don't advance, then your opponent is getting a relatively significant boost in points. One round of that won't hurt you, but 4 or 5 sure will.

However, it doesn't accelerate the score so quickly that the game ends while there is still combat to be had.

It seems to me that this option would address the need for incentivizing engagement while also avoiding the gambit-bloat that can finish a game prematurely.

What do you guys think? Am I missing something here?
TimmerB123
Posted: Wednesday, May 20, 2020 2:35:34 PM

I think we may be on the right track
gholli69
Posted: Wednesday, May 20, 2020 2:54:28 PM

thereisnotry wrote:
TimmerB123 wrote:

The more I think about it, the more I'm inclined to wonder if this might be the best way to go. Just sayin'.

As I continued to think about it, though, I wrestled with the truth of TJ's comment that fewer games would reach 200 if this were the case. So we clearly do need gambit, but there seems to be a degree of consensus that having 50-60pts of gambit after 5-6 rounds is probably a bit too much.

That's when I came up with a variation of what you've suggested here. I'll offer this suggestion and let people see what they think:

Quote:
"Each round, a player earns 5pts if he has a piece (10+ cost, non-reinforcement) in the gambit zone. If his opponent does not have a piece in the gambit zone, then that player earns an additional 5 points." [I'm sure the wording would need to be improved.]

So basically, there are 10pts of gambit up for grabs every round...if your opponent doesn't isn't there to grab his gambit points, then you can take them. After all, you don't wanna let points go to waste! Laugh

What this does is still provide solid incentive for a player to advance into combat; if you don't advance, then your opponent is getting a relatively significant boost in points. One round of that won't hurt you, but 4 or 5 sure will.

However, it doesn't accelerate the score so quickly that the game ends while there is still combat to be had.

It seems to me that this option would address the need for incentivizing engagement while also avoiding the gambit-bloat that can finish a game prematurely.

Couldn't this lead to abuse by locking yourself inside gambit?
UrbanShmi
Posted: Wednesday, May 20, 2020 3:00:58 PM

thereisnotry wrote:
TimmerB123 wrote:

Quote:

I actually like this ides quite s bit. J and I actually (coincidentally), just finished a game where we kept track of gambit both ways. The only thing that changed was that the losing player had a harder time getting to 100 points (it took an extra round). The winner was still clearly the winner, no matter how we added up the gambit. I don't know that that changes anyone's opinion of the idea, but thought I would put the data point out there.