RegisterDonateLogin

No Youngling's lunchbox should be without it.

Welcome Guest Active Topics | Members

Allowing games to finish before time is called, if both players still have a chance to destroy of all their opponents pieces Options
TimmerB123
Posted: Tuesday, May 19, 2020 9:51:53 AM
Groups: Member

Hey all

There has been plenty of discussion lately (a lot of it by me admittedly, but lots of other contributions as well) about gambit, tournament victory points, when the game ends, etc.

There have been lots of things brought up, lots of great ideas. I have personally tried to stay open to feedback and tried to admit when I am in the minority or see strong resistance. I have had my opinion changed or conceded that it's a losing battle on many of the issues (1pt for losing players, 10pt gambit, tournament score superseding record, etc.)

Through it all a clarity has risen to the surface for my own thoughts on the matter.

That is that destroying all of your opponents pieces is the most pure form of the game. It is how the game was always intended to be played, and is bar far the most satisfying finish to the game - win or lose.

It is truly what embodies "engagement". It is the actual definition of finishing a game.

Things like gambit and tournament scoring systems only exist because not all games achieve this before time.

Think about it - if every game had one player destroy all of the other player's pieces before time - gambit and tournament scoring tie breakers wouldn't really be necessary.

Since time limits are a necessary evil for tournaments, to get back to the pure form of the game (while acknowledging strong resistance to certain changes) - I really see only 2 solutions that are reasonably viable.

I'd love to implement them both, but either alone will be an improvement. I will put each in its own separate thread to have their merits considered individually, and not become a muddled mess (lesson learned)

Allowing games to finish before time is called, if both players still have a chance to destroy of all their opponents pieces

There seems to be quite a bit of confusion on this.

A similar proposal of adding gambit after time is called was brought up - but there was a lot of confusion by this suggestion (would this add more to keep track of? would a player still receive a full win? etc) and some instances where it wouldn't be ideal (Losing player able to earn 1 pt, etc)

For this suggestion - let's scrap that verbiage. You will still add gambit to your score at the end of every round
Exactly the same as it is currently

clearing up concerns:

There was concern about how it would effect tournament victory points. The answer is that is nothing would change due to this being instituted.
Tournament victory point system:
3-2-1
3 points if you either destroy all the opponents pieces, OR have the higher score and it is 200 or over
(including gambit, which you add during the game)
2 points if you have the higher score but did not reach 200 points or higher
1 point if you lost, but reached 100pts or higher

Gambit

Gambit would not be effected. (gambit amount is a separate discussion, which I have personally conceded won't change)

10 point gambit
must be a non-reinforcement piece worth 10 or more points
4 squares from the center of the map
add to your score at the end of each round you achieve it

When the game ends:
1. One player destroys all the other player's pieces
2. Time is called, and the round is finished.
3. Concession (see below)

These all function

The one and only change -

Games don't end with time left on the clock, if both players have pieces that can do damage left on the board.

If one player literally has no pieces left that can do damage (Lobot, R7, caamasi noble, etc), and the opponent has reached 200, the game ends.

Engagement
If one player reaches 200 but has not killed all the opponent's pieces that can do damage . . .

-a player with no characters in gambit MUST ACTIVELY ENGAGE, or concede.
There will be no "hiding in the back" (that is already currently illegal stalling and a TO should be called.)

Functionally, the only games that will play on after 200, are games in which there is still time on the clock and both players feel they have a chance to finish destroying all the other players pieces.

If you "play fast and always finish your games by destroying all your opponents pieces" (or have all yours destroyed) - Great! nothing will change for you. So there should be no issue there.

There will be no "having to go root out commanders hiding in the back." By the current rules, they have to come out and fight or the player has to concede. This is a unfounded fear that already has a solution in place. Nothing will change in this regard.

There was also concern about how concessions would be treated. The answer is that nothing changes.

Concessions

Any player may concede at any time, and for any reason. If it is under 30 minutes into the match, a TO need not be called, the non-conceding player gets 3 tournament victory points automatically.
If a player would like to concede after the 30 minute mark, and the opponent has NOT reached 200, call a TO. They will award 2 or 3 tournament victory points, dependent on the state of the game.
If a player would like to concede at any time after their opponent reaches 200+ points, a TO need not be called, the non-conceding player gets 3 tournament victory points automatically if they have reached 200+ points.

I personally urge anyone to feel fine to concede if they are feeling overwhelmed, or like they don't have a chance. Sincerely. This is SWM, it's supposed to be fun. We don't want to prevent the scenario where both players feel like they still have a chance to destroy all their opponents pieces, but I would never take away someones right to back out if they feel the need to.

If someone feels that their opponent reaching 200 signals an end for them - they have full rights to concede. You would continue to have that right in every game. In other words, if you do that - you are playing like we always do, and that is any players right. In essence - nothing changes for those players

Calling a TO

Call a TO anytime for any reason. It's easy for the TO to pause their game if they are playing, and then go back. As is the case with the state of our game currently, a TO will be called over rarely. The singular change we are implementing will not increase that in any way, as there is no situation now that needs a TO call that couldn't have needed one before. If I had to venture a guess, I'd say it won't happen at all. But I want to encourage anyone to do so if they are not sure about anything.

So - this was a whole lotta typing to hopefully make clear that only 1 very specific aspect would be pinpointed if implemented.

The only singular change is that players can battle it out to the end if they don't want to concede before time.

ThumpUp

thereisnotry
Posted: Tuesday, May 19, 2020 12:10:59 PM

I've now caught up on all the associated threads with this discussion, and I'm trying to keep an open mind. Honestly, I think there might be value to adding gambit points only after time is called.

FWIW, I'm glad that we're no longer looking at a 7 - 6 - 3.14 - 2 - 1 - 0 system (yes I'm using hyperbole here!)...that just seemed to create unnecessary complexity. And I'm also glad that (at least for now) we're not discussing 5pt gambit...that's because I think the current topic (adding gambit points after time is called) is probably the most concise and accurate way to address the concern being raised.

Nevertheless, I think Laura has some wisdom when she is cautious about -unintended- negative consequences that might develop if we change the end-game trigger away from what it currently is (200pts or TPK). In other words, I think Malcolm said it best on Jurassic Park: "Your scientists were so preoccupied with whether or not they could, they never stopped to think if they should." Could we change when gambit points are applied? Yes. But should we? Perhaps that's another question. Perhaps. I'm still thinking about it. Basically, in this post I'm thinking out loud, which is how I tend to process these sorts of conversations. I'm not planting my feet anywhere on any side of the discussion right now, but rather I'm exploring things. Soooo........

I know it's been said that it's unhelpful to create hypothetical scenarios that represent one "side" or the other in this discussion. Well, I think I disagree there. The scientists of Jurassic Park should've run through a lot more hypothetical scenarios. Just sayin'! In other words, imagining hypothetical scenarios is a valuable way of addressing the valid concern that Laura raises, namely this: Might this change accidentally bring some negative consequences, and if it might, then would those negative consequences be less ugly or more ugly than the negative situation that is prompting the change? In other words, "What's the worst thing that could go wrong?" If you're not willing to seriously engage that question, you should stop asking for reform. What we have right now is working okay-ish...it could be that the change would make things even better, but it's also possible that the change would make things far worse. I'm convinced that both "sides" need to seriously consider both possibilities.

Here's a scenario that comes to my mind: Player A gains gambit which would push him to 200pts (140pts of kills), for the win. But Player B somehow forces him out of the gambit zone (ie, Force Push and override), and then proceeds to gain more gambit, finishing at the end of time with 210 points. Time is up, but neither player has killed the opponent's entire squad, or even all their attackers. So does Player B win on gambit, even though Player A was the first to 200 with gambit?

I freely admit that this is a really odd and extremely unlikely scenario. However, it's the principle that I'm concerned about here. What I'm getting at is that, if gambit wasn't enough to win on for Player A, then it also shouldn't be enough for Player B.

THEREFORE, what if we added an addendum to what Tim is suggesting?
Games don't end with time left on the clock, if both players have pieces that can do damage left on the board. After a player reaches total points (from kills and gambit) that equal or exceed the build total, that player will be awarded a full win unless his opponent can kill the rest of his squad before the time limit.

If the whole purpose of continuing the match was because Player B still had a chance to kill his opponent's pieces, then let's give B the chance to do that. If B can't do that, then A wins. Simple, right? Not quite. In this scenario, nothing incentivizes A to continue to engage in combat, so it only promotes evasion. [sigh!] So the addendum I described would be a bad idea.

THEREFORE, I think we need to ask ourselves if one player (B) should be able to win on points (rather than kills) if his opponent won on points first. To me, this isn't just about a dumb hypothetical scenario...it's about the principle that the scenario exposes. And truly, I could imagine people being divided on this question. Some might say that this was the result of skillful tactics by Player B, and others might say that Player A got screwed over by the scoring setup. THEREFORE, I think we have to ask ourselves if this problem is more or less annoying than the situation that we'd be addressing with the scoring change, namely that the game ends when one player still has a chance to win if the game were to continue.

And as a final THEREFORE (BigGrin), I contend that this debate is not a matter of good reason to change vs blind stubbornness, but rather of two different perspectives on how a win should be earned. If we're going to get anywhere on the discussion, then I think that all of us need to carefully consider both sides of the discussion. You aren't ready to really debate something until you understand your opponent's perspective well enough that you can see why they're convinced of it.
kezzamachine
Posted: Tuesday, May 19, 2020 3:43:10 PM
Groups: Member , Moderator

I real-life combat (say I knowing almost zero about this subject), sometimes holding a strategic position is more important than destroying an opponent outright. I've played a lot of Armada and they most often play only six rounds regardless of the state of the game (not sure why that is important other than I've been playing a bit of Armada). I always seek to win my game by wiping out my opponent, but it doesn't always happen, and sometimes I am concerned first with controlling gambit, before I fully focus on my opponent. In my Vassal World's games, I've finished 2 of my 6 games, but most of the other games have ended with a clear winner - just short on the amount of points needed.

We're running a League here at the moment and have only just started so I'm wondering about what we can do about this. Time isn't an issue as its spread across multiple nights, but I don't want everyone to suddenly get 3pt wins. Our first game (played between two of our less experienced players) was a 46-25 point game. No way I can award a 3pt win there. But the next game was 106-24. Clearer, but still not enough.
TimmerB123
Posted: Tuesday, May 19, 2020 4:45:03 PM

thereisnotry wrote:
Honestly, I think there might be value to adding gambit points only after time is called.

Man oh man, I must be really bad at this. I guess I say too much and then things get lost. Let me be very clear -

Adding gambit points at the end is NOT what is being proposed by me.

TimmerB123 wrote:
There seems to be quite a bit of confusion on this.

A similar proposal of adding gambit after time is called was brought up - but there was a lot of confusion by this suggestion (would this add more to keep track of? would a player still receive a full win? etc) and some instances where it wouldn't be ideal (Losing player able to earn 1 pt, etc)

For this suggestion - let's scrap that verbiage. You will still add gambit to your score at the end of every round

Please - PLEASE - if you want to talk about adding gambit after the game is done - start another thread. The confusion is going to get perpetuated EVEN MORE. There are similarities but they are not the same.

thereisnotry wrote:
-unintended- negative consequences that might develop if we change the end-game trigger away from what it currently is (200pts or TPK)

I have been BEGGING for someone to answer this question. I got exactly 1 person that sorta answered it.

There have been many people saying what an NPE games finishing early that are won by gambit only, and combatants are still left on both sides.

I will ask again - what would be a negative consequence if this suggestion were implemented?

thereisnotry wrote:
If you're not willing to seriously engage that question, you should stop asking for reform.

I agree fully, and again - I am really wanting to know the answer. Most responses that seem negative about changing have either shown a core misunderstanding of what has been proposed, and what they fear is already possible, has a solution, and nothing would change with this proposal - or they simply are reluctant to any change.

thereisnotry wrote:
What we have right now is working okay-ish...

Entirely subjective. There would not be this many people commenting on it if everyone was perfectly happy with the system we have.

thereisnotry wrote:
Games don't end with time left on the clock, if both players have pieces that can do damage left on the board. After a player reaches total points (from kills and gambit) that equal or exceed the build total, that player will be awarded a full win unless his opponent can kill the rest of his squad before the time limit.

I'm fine with that - that is in essence what I am proposing.

thereisnotry wrote:
If the whole purpose of continuing the match was because Player B still had a chance to kill his opponent's pieces, then let's give B the chance to do that. If B can't do that, then A wins. Simple, right? Not quite. In this scenario, nothing incentivizes A to continue to engage in combat, so it only promotes evasion. [sigh!] So the addendum I described would be a bad idea.

This is already possible, and there is already a solution. What you describe would be illegal with or without this suggestion implemented.

thereisnotry wrote:
To me, this isn't just about a dumb hypothetical scenario...it's about the principle that the scenario exposes. And truly, I could imagine people being divided on this question. Some might say that this was the result of skillful tactics by Player B, and others might say that Player A got screwed over by the scoring setup. THEREFORE, I think we have to ask ourselves if this problem is more or less annoying than the situation that we'd be addressing with the scoring change, namely that the game ends when one player still has a chance to win if the game were to continue.

I do agree with this. I think I have made it abundantly clear that the principle I am promoting is that everyone, at all times, should be actively trying to destroy all their opponents pieces.

Gambit was implemented as a way to discourage stalling. To encourage a player NOT to just hide in the back. To promote actual engagement.

It was not added as an award for holding a strategic position like and RPG scenario. A few of those existed in the ultimate missions books (remember those, old timers?) They were strictly for scenario play. Which is fun and great, but not what we're talking about here.

Rhetorical question - If engagement is happening, why is gambit necessary?

Chargers has some really solid points on gambit - so I'll just quote him here.

Chargers wrote:
FlyingArrow wrote:
Having more rounds of gambit shows that they were the one trying to engage.

No it doesn't. It shows they got to the middle first. They may have locked the room and kept their opponent out. They may have forced their opponent into a flanking maneuver. Or they may have set up the kill zone hallway for the enemy to 'willingly' to into to try to get some, any, points they could.

Earning gambit allows for more chance of engagement, but it doesn't guarantee it.

Gambit has become synonymous with engagement in some players minds. But that is not necessarily true. In fact, often times it's not. When gambit is the cause for a game ending before time when there are combatants on both sides still on the board - that, ironically, is literally the opposite of engagement.

So - gambit - I think it's fair to say that there are good things and there are bad things about it. It's far from perfect, but some form is needed. (I think most would agree with this statement)?

One player destroying all the other player's pieces - is there anyone that can honestly say that this is not in essence what SWM is? So why are we specifically allowing for this to happen?

If there is good and bad about gambit - but it is ALWAYS clear when one player has no pieces left on the board - why would we not tweak the former to allow for more of the latter?

thereisnotry wrote:
And as a final THEREFORE (BigGrin), I contend that this debate is not a matter of good reason to change vs blind stubbornness, but rather of two different perspectives on how a win should be earned. If we're going to get anywhere on the discussion, then I think that all of us need to carefully consider both sides of the discussion. You aren't ready to really debate something until you understand your opponent's perspective well enough that you can see why they're convinced of it.

You know, I agree with you here. I really hope my stance is clear.

But on the other side virtually nobody seems to be willing to come out and say - "I like that I can win a game before time is up by without having to kill all of my opponents pieces". Other irrelevant things keep getting brought up, and almost nobody seems to want to own that statement.

It does boil down to what is SWM for you.

For me - both players actively engaging their pieces to try and destroy all of their opponent's pieces in the allotted time.

The other side seems to be - I don't want to have to kill all my opponent's pieces to win. Which is an opinion I strongly disagree with, but that doesn't make it invalid.

A big part of the reason I have been so worked up over this is that many of the same people that have been screaming about engagement, and finishing games, and bragging about how fast they play, and how all their games finish with one player having no pieces left on the boarda. . . are suddenly changing tune to fight a change to gambit, that if they really felt that way then they should be happy for. The other alternative to a seeming sudden 180 is that they have been disingenuous for years about taking games all the way until one team is eliminated, and actually have been gaming the system to their advantage.

We all wanted to get away from "get a lead then lock the door", right?

Is - get a gambit lead so I can "win" before final engagement really that much better? Maybe better but still not good.

And this IS the mentality of several players. (Again - no hate here - play within the rules to win)

So thereby the rules must be tweaked, ever so slightly, to not allow this loophole.

Let's get back to actively trying to destroy all your opponent's pieces, and let gambit be a deterrent to prevent someone from not engaging, as it was meant to be. Not as a way to pad your score to end the match before time is up or an opponents pieces are all destroyed.

FlyingArrow
Posted: Tuesday, May 19, 2020 5:33:09 PM

If engagement isn't happening, it's because both sides aren't engaging.

"I'm here - come into my death box!"

"No - come into MY death box."

Gambit is just a way to say who has to go into whose death box. If you're losing and they are in gambit, it's your job to go where they are. I have no problem saying that if your opponent gets to gambit first they can sit there and just be ready for you when you get there. That's as engaged as they need to be.

But once you get there, if you can kill them within the time limit you should be able to do so.
CorellianComedian
Posted: Tuesday, May 19, 2020 6:08:13 PM

FlyingArrow wrote:
If engagement isn't happening, it's because both sides aren't engaging.

"I'm here - come into my death box!"

"No - come into MY death box."

Gambit is just a way to say who has to go into whose death box. If you're losing and they are in gambit, it's your job to go where they are. I have no problem saying that if your opponent gets to gambit first they can sit there and just be ready for you when you get there. That's as engaged as they need to be.

But once you get there, if you can kill them within the time limit you should be able to do so.

This is something that's been rolling around my head as well. Minis is about destroying your opponent's squad; it is not necessarily a ten-pace-and-turn duel. Most of the time, if your opponent is fully entrenched in gambit, you were simply outplayed and deserve to lose. Yeah, sometime's it's because your opponent has fast pieces, but speed doesn't exist in a vacuum. Mobility comes with a price tag, and if you paid for tech to get your squad into gambit first you'd likely be at a disadvantage if you lined up in neat rows Civil-War style and gunned each other down.

If I'm spending 34 points on a Mandalorian Training Sergeant with 50 HP I'd sure hope I get to set up my death box first!

So... not that the whole discussion hinges on the validity of death boxes, but right now I don't think the death box argument is valid. Open to counterpoints though.
TimmerB123
Posted: Tuesday, May 19, 2020 6:27:21 PM

FlyingArrow wrote:
If you're losing and they are in gambit, it's your job to go where they are. I have no problem saying that if your opponent gets to gambit first they can sit there and just be ready for you when you get there. That's as engaged as they need to be.

I think this proves that in some cases (at minimum) gambit literally allows for non-engagement.

Ironic
FlyingArrow
Posted: Tuesday, May 19, 2020 7:44:17 PM

TimmerB123 wrote:
FlyingArrow wrote:
If you're losing and they are in gambit, it's your job to go where they are. I have no problem saying that if your opponent gets to gambit first they can sit there and just be ready for you when you get there. That's as engaged as they need to be.

I think this proves that in some cases (at minimum) gambit literally allows for non-engagement.

Ironic

Depends on how you define non-engagement. If neither side wants to approach because it's a losing proposition for both sides, gambit makes it so that approaching is the best move for one side (the one not in gambit). Without gambit, that same game would result in a 20-13 result.
CorellianComedian
Posted: Tuesday, May 19, 2020 7:47:02 PM

TimmerB123 wrote:
FlyingArrow wrote:

Ironic

Well, yes, but this is a battle, not tag. Sure, this isn't scenario play. The object is to destroy the opposing squad, not hold a position. However, no sensible military unit would abandon good positioning and assault unfavorable odds out of sheer bloodlust, especially if the enemy has to come to you anyways.

So sure, it allows one player to camp in place, but it darn well forces the other player to come get them. And the gambit zone doesn't arbitrarily favor one player like an initiative roll might; if your opponent gets that deeply entrenched in gambit without you contesting it then either they paid for an expensive tech piece, or they're just playing better than you are.

Let's say we get rid of gambit altogether. You can still set up killboxes. The only thing different is that, if both players entrench, there's nothing to break the stalemate. A player with a lot of Forward Positioning or Battle Ready could theoretically set up a killbox on their opponent's side of the map, and then what? You can't get much more engaged than parking in your enemy's front lawn. Without gambit, how do we determine who is taking initiative to engage and who is not?

And all of this is ignoring the fact that maps are specifically allowed or disallowed into tournaments based on equity of terrain and gambit approach.

I don't think the existence of killboxes is relevant to the discussion. This game has line-of-sight weaponry, therefore positioning is important, therefore better positioning gives an advantage. Killboxes exist because this game has blasters. Without gambit, there is no way to decide who has the obligation to press forward.
TimmerB123
Posted: Tuesday, May 19, 2020 7:57:51 PM

CorellianComedian wrote:
Well, yes, but this is a battle, not tag. Sure, this isn't scenario play. The object is to destroy the opposing squad, not hold a position.

Boom! This says it all right here. Nicely stated

The rest of the post argues for the existence of gambit, and I agree it is needed.

So while gambit is needed to prevent certain scenarios - the object should still be to kill all your opponents pieces.

The problem is that gambit is not only used as a deterrent to stalling, which is the purpose of its existence. It has become a way to win without destroying all your opponents pieces.

That needs to end
urbanjedi
Posted: Tuesday, May 19, 2020 8:31:52 PM

We talk about wanting a fair game. Not sure what is more fair than each squad trying to reach 200 victory points (through killing opposing pieces or scoring gambit)? Each player knows exactly what they have to do. This has been the same for as long as I have been playing Star Wars Miniatures (2006 or 2007) as I did not play before there was organized play and gambit.

If you had to eliminate an opponents “entire” squad to win, while it sounds fair on the surface, it isn’t necessarily fair for a variety of reasons as there are plenty of squads and pieces that add extra characters to the board for one side or the other or cause characters to switch teams.

And I do not think that it is fair that player A may start with more than 200 pts in their squad (some not worth victory point) or be able to add characters to their squad later (again some may or may not be worth VPs) while Player B just has the normal 200 thus setting up a situation where in order to get a finished game under the new proposal, Player B might have to defeat 250+ pts of enemies, while Player A just has to defeat 200.

On a similar note, I am not entirely sure how I feel about someone scoring more points, yet losing the game. Possibly even more kill points (not just pts with gambit). Seems like the loser who outscored his opponent by 30,50,100pts whatever would be fairly upset that they lost, but I am still working through those situations and how I would feel, but lean towards being pretty upset if I scored significantly more pts than my opponent and lost, although this is technically possible in the current game in very rare situations, so rare in fact I don't think I have ever heard of it happening.
CorellianComedian
Posted: Tuesday, May 19, 2020 8:56:12 PM

Okay, I clearly got sidetracked from the point. Even my dog could have figured out that nobody here was saying gambit is inherently bad LOL

My point was that death boxes in gambit are not a lack of engagement, or if they are, it's more engagement than without gambit. Games not ending at time if there are combatants left prevents gambit from functioning as the stalemate-breaker in those situations. Not the end of the world to have that go, but it is a bit of a hidden cost to altering the game-end conditions.

As the person who is usually doing the entrenching, I wouldn't be super disappointed with the change, just want to make sure it's adequately considered.

EDIT: Edited incoherent paragraph.

This is more of a fringe benefit to Timmer's suggestion, but I'm throwing it out there: Reinforcements and switching squads both make much more sense this way. With the exception of Valenthyne Farfalla, there are no combat pieces with Reinforcements. There are pieces that can attack and deal damage, but they are not combatants, because they do not have fighting capability worth the points you are risking by exposing them in combat. That's fine on a commander, but it devalues pieces like Jaster Mereel quite a bit.

Under this system, Reinforcements work like they should: the Reinforcements themselves are not awkward half-entities you can risk with no repercussions, and the character that brought them is just one of ten or fifteen combatants instead of being 1/4 of your squad.

Similarly, enemies switching sides due to Internal Strife and such does almost as much harm as good right now, because your opponent has more options for hitting 200. They don't need to deal with your durable pieces if they can give you their own Death Watch Raiders and backstab them for free points. This way switching squads carries real weight and is actually something to be actively avoided instead of metagamed for points.
thereisnotry
Posted: Tuesday, May 19, 2020 9:28:43 PM

TimmerB123 wrote:
thereisnotry wrote:

Ok, that concerns me. In my post I clearly articulated why I thought this would be a bad idea, but now you’re saying that very thing is essentially what you’re proposing. You say that there are mechanisms to deal with that; yes, I know: it involves calling a judge over. However, I’m convinced that any solution that requires a judge being called (in this case to counter an opponent’s combat avoidance/stalling) is inherently untenable over the long haul. Nobody wants to be “that guy” who is calling someone out for stalling. And nobody wants to have to explain things to a judge in the middle of a game. Furthermore, a judge is only going to make a ruling when there’s an obvious violation of the rules...we all know there is plenty of room for subtle and not-quite-but-almost-stalling tactics. I’m not interested in playing a game like that. Sports analogy: it’s always a sad thing when the referee decides the outcome of a game...when he needs to it’s because the game got out of hand, and when he doesn’t need to but still decides the outcome (by a bad call), that’s rotten for both teams. It’s better to just let the players decide the result.

I want to just be able to play the game and enjoy it. If my opponent won’t engage in combat with me while I’m in gambit, then I’ll win. It’s not nearly as fun that way, but I can’t control how my opponent chooses to play his squad. Regardless, if he’s going to avoid gambit then I’ll just win more quickly. If he still has attackers left on the board when I reach 200, then too bad for him...he should’ve engaged in combat earlier. If I get to gambit early and build a points lead, then it’s up to my opponent to catch up, and do it quickly.

The other main objection that I think is on my mind basically revolves around this: I don’t see the benefits. I do see some potential problems, and a lot of hassle in implementation (because there are always hiccups along the way). The only situation I can envision where this makes a difference is where one player has been slower to engage than the other player, and that slower player wants more of a chance to catch up. Sorry, but in that case the player should’ve been more aggressive, rather than holding back and allowing his opponent to get a significant gambit lead.

I think I much prefer the other suggestion you made, about how gambit points could only be scored if one player is not in gambit. That encourages combat (get to gambit!) while preventing the stockpiling of 50+ pts by both players while their squads duke it out over the course of a few rounds.
FlyingArrow
Posted: Tuesday, May 19, 2020 9:53:14 PM

thereisnotry wrote:

I want to just be able to play the game and enjoy it. If my opponent won’t engage in combat with me while I’m in gambit, then I’ll win. It’s not nearly as fun that way, but I can’t control how my opponent chooses to play his squad. Regardless, if he’s going to avoid gambit then I’ll just win more quickly. If he still has attackers left on the board when I reach 200, then too bad for him...he should’ve engaged in combat earlier. If I get to gambit early and build a points lead, then it’s up to my opponent to catch up, and do it quickly.

If we make gambit 100pts per round, then the game can end in 2 rounds. It would put way too much emphasis on getting first round gambit and games would end way too quickly, before combat would determine the winner. I use the 100pts number just as an illustration. Everyone (I think) would agree that's too much and games shouldn't end so early.

At 10pts for gambit, I think in some cases you get a similar situation: too much emphasis on early gambit, and the game ending before combat determines the winner. Obviously, it's a matter of opinion at this point. I never noticed any issue at 5pt gambit. But games typically run 3-8 rounds. 60pts of gambit can mean a game ends with 60pts of combatants still on the board, which is way too early for my tastes. Although usually, if there are 60pts of gambit, that's 6 rounds in and the game is decided one way or the other anyway.

Quote:

The other main objection that I think is on my mind basically revolves around this: I don’t see the benefits. I do see some potential problems, and a lot of hassle in implementation (because there are always hiccups along the way). The only situation I can envision where this makes a difference is where one player has been slower to engage than the other player, and that slower player wants more of a chance to catch up. Sorry, but in that case the player should’ve been more aggressive, rather than holding back and allowing his opponent to get a significant gambit lead.

The point of gambit is to force engagement so that games finish within the time limit. We're talking about situations where there is still plenty of time on the clock.

Quote:
I think I much prefer the other suggestion you made, about how gambit points could only be scored if one player is not in gambit. That encourages combat (get to gambit!) while preventing the stockpiling of 50+ pts by both players while their squads duke it out over the course of a few rounds.

I'd still give out the gambit points for the purpose of reaching 200 (determining whether a player has earned a full win). If both sides are in gambit but not getting the points, there will likely be fewer games finishing in time.
FlyingArrow
Posted: Tuesday, May 19, 2020 9:58:15 PM

Quote:
And I do not think that it is fair that player A may start with more than 200 pts in their squad (some not worth victory point) or be able to add characters to their squad later (again some may or may not be worth VPs) while Player B just has the normal 200 thus setting up a situation where in order to get a finished game under the new proposal, Player B might have to defeat 250+ pts of enemies, while Player A just has to defeat 200.

Fair point. 200 kill points (not counting gambit points) should in fact trigger the end of the game, even if both sides still have combatants. I hadn't thought of Reserves, and Reinforcements/Rakghouls explicitly say you don't have to kill them to win the game.
UrbanShmi
Posted: Wednesday, May 20, 2020 2:20:47 AM

thereisnotry wrote:
TimmerB123 wrote:
thereisnotry wrote:

Ok, that concerns me. In my post I clearly articulated why I thought this would be a bad idea, but now you’re saying that very thing is essentially what you’re proposing. You say that there are mechanisms to deal with that; yes, I know: it involves calling a judge over. However, I’m convinced that any solution that requires a judge being called (in this case to counter an opponent’s combat avoidance/stalling) is inherently untenable over the long haul. Nobody wants to be “that guy” who is calling someone out for stalling. And nobody wants to have to explain things to a judge in the middle of a game. Furthermore, a judge is only going to make a ruling when there’s an obvious violation of the rules...we all know there is plenty of room for subtle and not-quite-but-almost-stalling tactics. I’m not interested in playing a game like that. Sports analogy: it’s always a sad thing when the referee decides the outcome of a game...when he needs to it’s because the game got out of hand, and when he doesn’t need to but still decides the outcome (by a bad call), that’s rotten for both teams. It’s better to just let the players decide the result.

I've been quiet for a couple of days, but I've been thinking a lot. This is obviously an issue that people feel strongly about. I agree with much of what Trevor has said, but I wanted to get my own thoughts out, as well. I was thinking about sharing them privately, but maybe doing it on this thread is best.

First off, I love this game and the people who play it. And I am scared. I'm scared that the changes being proposed will change the culture of the game to be something I can no longer recognize or enjoy. Let me explain. Right now, everyone knows each other and seems to care whether everyone has a great time playing. The last time we played, even though I didn't perform well, I had two separate people tell me what a pleasure it was to play me. I don't say that to brag about my demeanor, but to illustrate that this is a game where it's possible to be both competitive and pleasant. I'm afraid that that will change if these changes go into effect. The attitude I'm seeing around the "kill 'em all" mentality ("destroy your opponent's pieces," "obliterate your opponent") strikes me as combative, not just competitive, which is the opposite of what I personally want in the game.

I'm afraid of other changes, too. Structural changes. I'm afraid that people will naturally gravitate toward high activation squads (more difficult to kill 'em all) and the meta will shift to scissors vs. paper. The meta seems fairly well balanced to me right now, and I'm afraid of upsetting that balance.

I know that my description of possible cultural and meta changes might seem like no big deal, or even desireable. Some people like different styles of play than I do, and that's okay, And before anyone says it, I know that I can concede if I get into a game where I'm not enjoying myself. But I'm also afraid that in the new era, concession will be seen as a sign that I'm not "tough enough" for the game. Maybe that's my own personal issues, but it's a real fear for me. And besides, who wants to be the person to concede all the time? I'd rather just play a game where I can enjoy some camaraderie and play the kind of game I enjoy.

And no, it's not that I "like being able to win before my opponent is destroyed." But I like having an endpoint to reach that's something other than total annihilation. Certain kinds of wins just don't always feel good. Sometimes outlasting your opponent is all you can realistically do. I think there still needs to be an opening for that.

One last thing. As I've already said, I'm afraid of seeing the game change into something I will not enjoy. But I see now that maybe some people are already feeling that way. That is a problem, so maybe everyone could take a deep breath and come at this in a spirit not of conciliation or oneupmanship, but in a spirit of compassion for the very real fears of people on both sides. Maybe we can work together, instead of trying to prove each other wrong all the time. I know I've been guilty of the latter, and I apologize for that. I'll try to be more constructive in the future.

TimmerB123
Posted: Wednesday, May 20, 2020 3:46:51 AM

thereisnotry wrote:
TimmerB123 wrote:
thereisnotry wrote:

Ok, that concerns me. In my post I clearly articulated why I thought this would be a bad idea, but now you’re saying that very thing is essentially what you’re proposing. You say that there are mechanisms to deal with that; yes, I know: it involves calling a judge over.

It feels like I wasn't clear in my response based on this.

My point was that it would be no different than it is now. Judges are infrequently needed now, and that would stay the same. In the fear you posted, why do you think it would suddenly change? What would be different that would convince a player who normally engages fully into an illegal staller? I just don't see that happening personally. If we had people like that, we'd already see it. Since we don't, we won't see it with this tweak either. I think your fear is entirely unfounded.

thereisnotry wrote:
I want to just be able to play the game and enjoy it.

me too. It's only now becoming clear how varying peoples definitions are of that.

What it has often become is not a skirmish based on combat, but a race to 200pts, with 1/4-1/2 of those points not based on combat at all. I'm not really interested in "how fast can I get there".

To me, faster does not equal better. In fact, it often makes it much less enjoyable.

This community likes to speed shame. Tell you it's your fault if you're not fast enough.

There is a time limit. You should be able to apply your tactics to be able to finish off your opponents pieces in that time limit, but you should not be artificially rewarded simply for speeding.
TimmerB123
Posted: Wednesday, May 20, 2020 4:04:09 AM

FlyingArrow wrote:
If we make gambit 100pts per round, then the game can end in 2 rounds. It would put way too much emphasis on getting first round gambit and games would end way too quickly, before combat would determine the winner. I use the 100pts number just as an illustration. Everyone (I think) would agree that's too much and games shouldn't end so early.

At 10pts for gambit, I think in some cases you get a similar situation: too much emphasis on early gambit, and the game ending before combat determines the winner. Obviously, it's a matter of opinion at this point. I never noticed any issue at 5pt gambit. But games typically run 3-8 rounds. 60pts of gambit can mean a game ends with 60pts of combatants still on the board, which is way too early for my tastes.

Fully agree here

FlyingArrow wrote:
The point of gambit is to force engagement so that games finish within the time limit.

The way you stated this concerned me.

If you mean that the engagement it encourages is what helps the game finish in time then - ok I get that

But if you mean the points added by gambit helps the game end faster - which is undeniably true, and THAT is the point of gambit - then I think we have arrived at my core problem.

Gambit points were meant to prevent stalling. But they have become a mechanism to artificially end games quicker, REGARDLESS of if there is full engagement or not.

That is what sits poorly with me. (to be clear, this is not directed at you TJ, you may have not even meant it that way. There are those who do treat it that way though, so my response is to the concept)

To me that literally feels like - for the game I love so much and enjoy playing, well we're only gonna let you play 3/4 of a game, and cut you off when it gets to the best part.

And again - so it's clear - we are talking about games UNDER the time limit.

It is equivalent to watching a great movie but getting cut off in the last quarter of the movie. Then being told well I should have figured out what was going to happen by then.

I just want to play games to true completion. It feels like several players are intent on denying people that. Which again - feels at odds with all the years of preaching engagement.

thereisnotry
Posted: Wednesday, May 20, 2020 12:42:08 PM

TimmerB123 wrote:
thereisnotry wrote:
TimmerB123 wrote:
thereisnotry wrote:

Ok, that concerns me. In my post I clearly articulated why I thought this would be a bad idea, but now you’re saying that very thing is essentially what you’re proposing. You say that there are mechanisms to deal with that; yes, I know: it involves calling a judge over.

It feels like I wasn't clear in my response based on this.

My point was that it would be no different than it is now. Judges are infrequently needed now, and that would stay the same. In the fear you posted, why do you think it would suddenly change? What would be different that would convince a player who normally engages fully into an illegal staller? I just don't see that happening personally. If we had people like that, we'd already see it. Since we don't, we won't see it with this tweak either. I think your fear is entirely unfounded.

Good question; I've bolded your question for easy reference. I think this question is valuable because I think it helps us press into the issue at hand.

Here's what I think would change:
If I've hypothetically already earned 200pts (and will therefore have the Win after time is called) and we continue the match, then the game would no longer primarily be a challenge of, "How can I defeat my opponent's squad/attackers," but rather, "How can I keep my squad/attackers from being defeated?" That is, while I will obviously win if I can defeat my opponent's last attackers, I will also win if I can evade and survive. So then it becomes a question of which path is less risky. Therefore, the most reliable path to victory in this situation will often (or at least sometimes) be evasion, rather than engagement. Why engage when avoidance is less risky?

Yes, you could say that the win condition was always to defeat your opponent's squad. And I agree. But the win condition is also to get to 200pts, which (in our hypothetical scenario) I've already accomplished. Therefore, once I've made it to 200pts, I no longer need to commit myself to the risk of combat/offense, but can instead go into protection/defense mode, because survival is my main goal. Obviously, if I can defeat my opponent's last attackers with relative safety then I will try to do that...but there's no way I'll take unnecessary risks. Therefore, avoidance/evasion will become a very viable--and perhaps even optimal--strategy for the player who has reached 200pts. Yes, the game will continue, and the (currently) losing player will still have a chance to make a comeback. But the game (and therefore the goals and tactics) will have changed.

In fact, it's possible that if things are really close, and if it's an important game, then who knows how much I might kinda-but-not-really stretch the boundaries of stalling/avoidance? Are we going to have a judge watching the last 20 minutes of our match just to make sure that I don't do that? Now, all of this is hypothetical. And I don't think any of us would [want to] do that, and I think the community would actively discourage such tactics. Yes, moreso than ever before, this game has become more casual than cutthroat. However--and here's the point I'm trying to make--the door would be open for that. And personally, I'd prefer that door to stay closed. The rules of the game set the context in which the game is played; therefore, rules which encourage the use of avoidance tactics will create a situation in which avoidance is sometimes practiced, even if it's 'naughty' or 'not what any of us would do.'

Another way to get at it: I'd rather play a game that rewards early risk and punishes early avoidance, than the opposite (a game that rewards early avoidance and punishes early risk). More specifically (and this might be specific to only me), I don't want to go back to where we were several years ago, when stalling and avoidance were common.

That brings me to the rest of your comment:
TimmerB123 wrote:
To me, faster does not equal better. In fact, it often makes it much less enjoyable.

This community likes to speed shame. Tell you it's your fault if you're not fast enough.

I wouldn't call it speed-shaming, as much as avoidance-shaming. And even then, I don't think shame is really the word for it; I prefer to think of it as rewarding competent play. It used to be that if you played slowly, you hurt your opponent's results. Now (with 200-or-2 and with the 3-2-1 system), if you play slowly you hurt your own results more than anyone's.

Nevertheless, I think I hear what you're saying: there is significant pressure--perhaps from people but certainly from the tournament structure--to play quickly and to engage in actual combat. People who can't (or perhaps won't?) play quickly will not fare as well in tournament play.

My question is, How and why did the community get to that point? I remember it very clearly: stalling and avoidance were common. So eventually the community recognized it for what it was, realized that it was siphoning joy from the game, and decided to do something about it. People were sick of losing because their opponent sniped their Lobot and then locked a door or kited them for the rest of the game. Some players were annoyed at only finishing 3-4 rounds over the course of an hour. And so yes, we did something about it. In hindsight, I think that was probably a good thing.
Darth_Jim
Posted: Wednesday, May 20, 2020 12:49:21 PM

Like Laura, I've been watching the various threads without comment. However, in my case my reason has been that I've been out of the game for 3 years. (A game retirement that matched my real life job retirement in timing.) I don't want to be or be seen as the guy sticking his nose into something that he no longer participates in. However, since I've expressed interest into returning to play in a limited fashion, I feel I can contribute a little here, if you'll indulge me.

First, it seems that Tim has been a catalyst in much of this discussion. Well done, sir... I appreciate the passion. AND... the viewpoint that seems to harken back to the early days of minis... finishing games. As a past National Champion, you have accepted the mantle of trying to promote the game and make the experience as satisfying as you, me, and many others have had in the past. I'm not sure that I agree on everything you've been saying, but as to why you are saying it I totally agree. Please don't stop if you think you hit brick walls.

The best idea I've seen so far (My opinion of course) is the change to a 5pt gambit but still risk a 10pt piece. In my mind it solves a lot of the issues discussed. Additionally, it could be implemented with very little trouble or confusion and then tested for the difference, if any, to the game.

There's been a lot of talk about 'killing boxes'. That gambit was touted as the answer to it, but creates one itself when a player is able to reach there first with not just a piece, but the bulk of his squad to take and control the area. That's exactly how I beat Flying Arrow in 2015; I made him come into my killing box. I'd played him the year before with a squad that he almost conceded to outright but decided to play... then totally outplayed me. He made me play his game in 2014; I made him play mine in 2015. I knew if I didn't, I couldn't win. Sometimes tactics have to be employed that aren't necessarily aggressive, but gambit forces us to at least risk something. Killing boxes aren't necessarily bad.

Trevor said something in his post that I don't think had been spoken, but that I totally agree with. He said he didn't want to be that guy who called the judge over for slow play on someone. Sometimes it is necessary; your opponent is stalling to eke out a win. I played someone years ago... I think it was his first tournament. I was visible on the boards and on a couple of the podcasts, and he was so nervous to play me, he was visibly shaking. He was second guessing all of his decisions, and he was reluctant to engage. We played like 3 or 4 rounds before time was called, and I got a 2pt win, beating him by like 30 pts. Am I gonna call a judge on that guy? Nope. I'd rather take the results... win or lose... against a guy like that. Its just not worth it to me because I, like many of you, care about the people I'm playing with. Well said, Trevor.

I want to say one more thing. One of the factors that drove me away was all of the personal attacking and name calling that had started to fill these boards. Sometimes the passion got a little heated in the discussions I've seen here, but for the most part you all have let cooler heads prevail. Bravo to all of you. I will go back reading now lol...