RegisterDonateLogin

Adventure. Heh! Excitement. Heh! Bloo Milk craves not these things.

Welcome Guest Active Topics | Members

Power Creep Cancellation Tourn Discussion (formerly sign-up thread) Options
FlyingArrow
Posted: Tuesday, May 19, 2020 3:17:18 PM
Groups: Member , Moderator

Power Creep Cancellation Tournament

These Saturday tournaments are great but they don't work for me. I could play once a week in the evening, though, like we did for the Vassal regional. When I told Tim that they don't work for me, he said for me to run something, so here goes. This is a double-elimination tournament with very specific squadbuilding rules. Each WotC set has been paired with a V-set so that the oldest WotC set is paired with the newest V-set, and so on. (V-sets 1 through 3 aren't represented in this tournament.) If there's power creep, then presumably the weakest WotC sets will be paired with the strongest Vsets, etc. That gives us a perfect 16 squads for the bracket.

So everyone needs to sign up for a pair of sets and build a squad using only pieces from your two sets. Rules: 200pt squads, obeying faction restrictions. You must use at least 3 different pieces from each of the two sets AND at least 50pts from each set. (So, yes, since 3+3=6, you must have at least 6 activations in your squad.)

This tournament will be a double-elimination tournament including all 16 squads. You have 5 days to sign up for your first squad. First-come, first-served to claim your sets. After 5 days (not before), if any sets remain unclaimed then players can sign up for a second set - also first-come, first-served. After 6 days, players can sign up for a 3rd squad, but hopefully we'll have all sets claimed before it comes to that. If you end up with more than one squad, they'll be on opposite sides of the bracket and hopefully never have to play one another.

Like the Vassal regional, you'll have about a week to get your games in each round.

Here are the set pairings (bold sets are still available):

Randy - Rebel Storm + V-set 19 (Power of the Dark Side + Legends of the Old Republic)
FlyingArrow - Clone Strike + V-set 18 (The High Ground + Mandalorians & Bounty Hunters)
TimmerB123 - Revenge of the Sith + V-set 17 (On the Outer Rim + Solo)
urbanjedi - Universe + V-set 16 (Rise to Power + The Last Jedi)
Randy - Champions of the Force + V-set 15 (Unexpected Allies + Heroes on Both Sides)
gandalfthegreatestwizard - Bounty Hunters + V-set 14 (Unifying Forces + Rogue One)
UrbanShmi - Alliance & Empire + V-set 13 (Gathering Forces + No Such Thing As Luck)
DarkDracul - TFU + V-set 12 (More Civilized Age + The Force Awakens)
FlyingArrow - Legacy of the Force + V-set 11 (Long Time Ago + Far Far Away)
TimmerB - KotOR + V-set 10 (Evasive Action + Rebels)
Darth O - The Clone Wars + V-set 9 (Warfare & Subterfuge + Diplomacy)
urbanjedi - Imperial Entanglements + V-set 8 (Shadows + Undying)
Naarkon - Jedi Academy + V-set 7 (Armed & Operational + Invasion)
gandalfthegreatestwizard - Galaxy at War + V-set 6 (Command of the Galaxy + Vehicles of War)
UrbanShmi - The Dark Times + V-set 5 (Galactic Heroes + The Old Republic)
urbanjedi - Masters of the Force + V-set 4 (Scum & Villainy + Jedi vs Sith)

UrbanShmi
Posted: Tuesday, May 19, 2020 3:23:54 PM

Sounds fun. I'll take Dark Times and Galactic Heroes.
urbanjedi
Posted: Tuesday, May 19, 2020 3:44:32 PM
Groups: Member

I'll take Imperial Entanglements and V-set 8 (shadows and undying)
Randy
Posted: Tuesday, May 19, 2020 3:58:16 PM

Well Jason took my #1 so I will try

Champions of the Force + V-set 15 (Unexpected Allies + Heroes on Both Sides)
gandalfthegreatestwizard
Posted: Tuesday, May 19, 2020 4:35:38 PM

I'll take Galaxy at War and V-set 6.
TimmerB123
Posted: Tuesday, May 19, 2020 5:57:17 PM

Fun!

I'll take KotOR and set 10

Love the idea, curious how it turns out. Obviously power creep is not simply linear, there have been some major spikes and valleys. Squad building will be challenging
FlyingArrow
Posted: Tuesday, May 19, 2020 6:46:37 PM

TimmerB123 wrote:
Fun!

I'll take KotOR and set 10

Love the idea, curious how it turns out. Obviously power creep is not simply linear, there have been some major spikes and valleys. Squad building will be challenging

Definitely. On both points.
TimmerB123
Posted: Tuesday, May 19, 2020 8:03:12 PM

How will the brackets be done? Is there seeding, random draw?

Is it a classic 1 v 16, 2 v 15, etc?

You say double elimination - does that mean there will be a consolation bracket?

Or is a freestyle one pool bracket (if you’re not sure what that is I’ll show you. It’s the best for double elimination imo)

Challenge backs for 2 vs 3 and 4 vs 5 if they didn’t face off before?

(Former wrestler. I love different bracket setups)
FlyingArrow
Posted: Tuesday, May 19, 2020 8:42:08 PM

TimmerB123 wrote:
How will the brackets be done? Is there seeding, random draw?

Is it a classic 1 v 16, 2 v 15, etc?

You say double elimination - does that mean there will be a consolation bracket?

Or is a freestyle one pool bracket (if you’re not sure what that is I’ll show you. It’s the best for double elimination imo)

Challenge backs for 2 vs 3 and 4 vs 5 if they didn’t face off before?

(Former wrestler. I love different bracket setups)

I was planning to do a standard double-elimination. With a "loser's bracket", but it's not just a consolation bracket. The winner of the loser's bracket plays the winner of the winner's bracket. Normally, in double-elimination, the loser's bracket side has to beat the winner's bracket side twice, but to save time we're just going to say that the winner of the winner's bracket automatically wins map roll (or automatically loses map roll if they'd rather choose setup - their choice). Then play just one game.

I'll do a random bracket but for anyone who has two squads on the same side, one will be swapped to the other side.

Not sure what freestyle one pool bracket is.

This is what the bracket would look like:

https://challonge.com/b4zfy6ra

(You will probably need to scroll on the bottom bracket to see the whole thing.)

DarkDracul
Posted: Wednesday, May 20, 2020 6:50:40 AM

TFU + V-set 12 (More Civilized Age + The Force Awakens)
TimmerB123
Posted: Wednesday, May 20, 2020 5:40:55 PM

Another question - are we supposed to in good faith try and make the strongest, most competitive squad we can,

Or

are we free to make something interesting and unexpected?

If this tournament is truly trying to gain some insight to the progression of power creep - we all need to do the former (even still there might not be clear info to be derived). Regardless - I think it could be interesting if we all build with that in mind.

If it is meant as an interesting fun starting point (which it is!) and we can take it wherever we want from there, then that is another story. I think that could be a blast too!

I think we should all be on generally the same page, regardless of the page (and I am fine with either!)

Or "whatever you want to build" is fine too - then we are all on the same (totally open) page.

Just wanted to see what the creator had in mind
FlyingArrow
Posted: Wednesday, May 20, 2020 5:52:38 PM

TimmerB123 wrote:
Another question - are we supposed to in good faith try and make the strongest, most competitive squad we can,

Or

are we free to make something interesting and unexpected?

If this tournament is truly trying to gain some insight to the progression of power creep - we all need to do the former (even still there might not be clear info to be derived). Regardless - I think it could be interesting if we all build with that in mind.

If it is meant as an interesting fun starting point (which it is!) and we can take it wherever we want from there, then that is another story. I think that could be a blast too!

I think we should all be on generally the same page, regardless of the page (and I am fine with either!)

Or "whatever you want to build" is fine too - then we are all on the same (totally open) page.

Just wanted to see what the creator had in mind

Just looking for a way to see a big variety of pieces in the tournament and what people do under some interesting squadbuilding restrictions. Treat it like any other tournament. I'm sure some people will go all out to try to win while others will bring slightly lower level squads to see some fun interactions. Just like any other tournament.
TimmerB123
Posted: Wednesday, May 20, 2020 5:59:05 PM

FlyingArrow wrote:
Just looking for a way to see a big variety of pieces in the tournament and what people do under some interesting squadbuilding restrictions. Treat it like any other tournament. I'm sure some people will go all out to try to win while others will bring slightly lower level squads to see some fun interactions. Just like any other tournament.

Cool, just making sure. A wide variety of squads is inevitable. Basic combos of standard squads are by and large are not available (No Mas and either Thrawn or Panaka, Not even mouse droids to help many CEs, as examples) so it will be really interesting.

Just a quick scroll through options told me - wow, who the heck knows!?! (With perhaps the exception of THE broken set)
FlyingArrow
Posted: Wednesday, May 20, 2020 6:02:00 PM

I'll take Clone Strike with The High Ground + Mandalorians & Bounty Hunters (set 18).
gandalfthegreatestwizard
Posted: Wednesday, May 20, 2020 6:04:37 PM

Doesn't seem fair that the strongest player got the strongest set. Jason should have had to play Rebel Storm or something, lol.
urbanjedi
Posted: Wednesday, May 20, 2020 6:10:36 PM

gandalfthegreatestwizard wrote:
Doesn't seem fair that the strongest player got the strongest set. Jason should have had to play Rebel Storm or something, lol.

I’ll take that challenge if this doesn’t fill and we can do an additional one
FlyingArrow
Posted: Wednesday, May 20, 2020 6:15:57 PM

Maybe I should have come up with a better system than first-come, first-served. But let's take up the challenge and try to beat him.
TimmerB123
Posted: Wednesday, May 20, 2020 6:34:38 PM

Dude - you got the broken set! lol
FlyingArrow
Posted: Wednesday, May 20, 2020 6:44:04 PM

I didn't realize the significance of Shadows being paired with IE. Shadows and IE were the two sets in the finals in the set-vs-set tournament from a few years ago. *gulp* Shadows won. So will Jason go with Republic commandos or Thrawn? We'll have to wait and see, I guess.

At any rate, it's double-elimination so we can all play for second place. :D

https://challonge.com/SWM_SetVsSet
gandalfthegreatestwizard
Posted: Wednesday, May 20, 2020 7:36:10 PM

TimmerB123 wrote:
Dude - you got the broken set! lol

Command of the Galaxy was broken in terms of the whole game- in this format, and paired up with Galaxy at War, it's much less impressive. Daala's support is reduced to Needa, Snowtrooper Officer and Veteran Snowtrooper- and then she has to spend 50pts on Fringe characters from GaW. Blast bugs don't so well without any warriors. There are the Strafers in the subset, and a few other solid characters, but none of them have their usual support. Talon is probably left with the most, since he's got Cad Bane and Sugi. You could play an okay Cin Drallig/GenSky squad, but without Mas or Doombot it's not great.

I'm far more scared of IE and Shadows. Thrawn with Boba AFH, Mira, and a bunch of mice and swap fodder sounds pretty good.