Will make point five past lightspeed.

Welcome Guest Active Topics | Members

SWM Vassal Mod UPDATE: version 2.0 Options
thereisnotry
Posted: Friday, July 3, 2020 4:45:41 AM
Groups: Member

ANNOUNCING SWMinis_2.vmod!

First things first:
1. Delete your old/current SWMinis.vmod file. You'll never need it again.
2. Delete your old/current V-Set extension files (the ones ending in ".ext"). You'll never need them again.
3. Download the new version of the SWM Vassal Mod: https://1drv.ms/u/s!AlCd5BRrzxGCiLUsYWcqn8YjlB9AvQ?e=rOQl9V

The most current version of the Vassal mod is 26a.

Now, take 11 minutes to watch a quick tutorial video that I recorded, highlighting the new changes to the mod: Star Wars Miniatures (SWM) Vassal Mod Update - July 2020

There's a new video for you to watch, which walks you through the new Scoreboard feature and how things have changed in that regard:
Star Wars Miniatures Vassal Module Update (March 2023)

You can download a 1-page PDF document which summarizes the changes in the Vassal mod: Vassal Mod update notes 2020.pdf
As with most things on Vassal, keyboard commands are usually a combination of holding down the CTRL key and pressing the letter that corresponds with what you're looking to do (ie, CTRL + G adds Gambit points). I tried to keep things as simple and intuitive as possible. However, I do recognize that there are a number of new commands to learn; if you forget, you'll be able to find what you need by r-clicking on the piece in question.

NOTE: The Vassal Engine (not just the SWM Vassal mod, so I can't take credit for it) has received a pretty helpful update: you can now make a cool indicator marker show up, anywhere on the screen. I encourage you to try it out, because it's SO much easier than dragging the Targeting Markers around on the screen. It works slightly differently on PCs and Macs:
--PC: hold down ALT and left-click anywhere on the map
--Mac: hold down Option and right-click anywhere on the map
Enjoy!

In summary, here are the keyboard shortcuts to become familiar with:

--Hit Points: SHIFT + something
SHIFT + UP...Increase HP by 10
SHIFT + RIGHT...Increase HP by 10
SHIFT + DOWN...Decrease HP by 10
SHIFT + LEFT...Decrease HP by 10

SHIFT + (1-5)...Decrease HP by (10-50)
SHIFT + ALT + (1-5)...Increase HP by (10-50)
(CTRL + H...Set HP, as always)

--Force Points: CTRL + something
CTRL + UP...Increase FP by 1
CTRL + RIGHT...Increase FP by 1
CTRL + DOWN...Decrease FP by 1
CTRL + LEFT...Decrease FP by 1

CTRL + (1-5)...Decrease FP by (1-5)
CTRL + ALT + (1-5)...Increase FP by (1-5)
(CTRL + F...Set FP, as always)

--Keyboard Movement: You can select a character and use your NumPad and/or your Arrow Keys to move that character one square in that direction. For example, pressing the "9" on your NumPad will move a figure up and to the right.

--Strafe path indicator: This is on by default.
CTRL + S...toggles the path on/off
CTRL + M...(Mark Unmoved) will remove the path entirely

--Score Cards: Each player will need his/her own Score Card. The number in red font is your total score, with Kill Points and Gambit points being listed separately beneath it.
CTRL + K...set Kill Score
CTRL + G...Score Gambit (10 pts is the standard, but see below)
CTRL + ALT + G...unScore Gambit (-10 pts)
CTRL + N...add a Player Name
CTRL + P...change Player Color

Gambit comes in all shapes and sizes, depending on what build total you're using. The regular Scorecard (giving 10pts for Gambit) is still in the same place as always, under the “Markers” tab. However at the bottom of that list you can now also find Scorecards that will give specific Gambit points for the following scenarios:
o 100pts – 5pt Gambit
o 125pts – 7pt Gambit
o 150pts – 8pt Gambit
o 500pts – 25pt Gambit
o These scorecards all function exactly the same, with the exception that they each add different amounts of points when you gain Gambit (via the r-click menu or by pressing CTRL-G).

--Identify-- Sometimes it can be difficult to remember which V-Set piece is which. This is especially true when the same Recommended Mini is used for multiple pieces that are in the same squad (such as in an Imperial Knights squad). As of V-Set 24, I've made it so that you will see a character's name when you R-Click on its mini. If you highlight a mini and press CTRL-I (or R-Click and choose Identify), you can type in the character's name. This functions exactly the same as the Condition function (CTRL-C), except the words will now appear above the mini on a white background (rather than on the mini and with a yellow background). (Yes, the Condition function still works the same as always). Use this function if you need it, otherwise you can ignore it.

--Persistent Effects: Characters that create the Burning/Corrupted/Mined/Poisoned effects, and also those that make Thermal devices (Imploders or Detonators) can now create those markers right from their figure: R-click the character and choose the option to Create that marker. You can also highlight the character and press CTRL + E. Please let me know if you find characters who create these persistent effects, but who don't yet have this function in the mod. Similarly, you can also create 2 new Porgs by R-Clicking on a Porg character.

--Door Markers: Doors now work SO much better than before! Rather than pressing CTRL-O to cycle through the various door states, you can now choose one specifically (whether through the R-click menu or via a keyboard command):
CTRL + B =Blasted Open
CTRL + L =Locked with Override
CTRL + O =Opened with Override
CTRL + A =Opened with Advanced Door Gimmick
CTRL + N =let the door close normally (normal Closed marker)
CTRL + H =hold the door open (normal Open marker)

Similarly, characters who can use Override and who can blast doors open (via Satchel Charge, Door Shatter, etc) can now create those markers right on the board! Simply highlight the character and either R-click and select the option, or else press CTRL + B (to create a "Door Blasted Open" marker) or CTRL + O (to create an "Override" marker...it'll start as the 'Open' version but you can change it after that).

--Range Overlays: All L and M characters have a built-in Range-6 indicator (press CTRL + A). However, because we have a number of abilities that have a range other than 6, someone had the idea to provide range overlays for areas from 2-5. You'll find these in their own tab in the Tiles/Units section...they are separated by Medium and Large.

Note: From version 20.3 onward, I've resized the character images. Medium characters are now 40x40 pixels, Larges are now 82x82, and Huges are now 124x124. Each square on every map is 50x50 pixels in size, so each character will now have 5 pixels of space on each side (more for Larges and Huges). This is to make it easier to see what kind of terrain a character is occupying (or adjacent to) during a match.

Related Questions:

Q. Where are the V-Set pieces located?
A. Good question! (Sorry, I forgot to mention this in the video....) You can find the V-Set pieces are in their Faction tab (i.e., Rebels, Separatists, etc). First, the WotC pieces are listed in alphabetical order, as usual. Then you'll see a "--- V-Sets ---" indicator, after which you'll find all of the V-Set pieces (currently for sets 1-22) listed in alphabetical order. After that, you'll also find a short list of the Epic characters for that faction.

Q. Do Bastilla JM and Atris still have their cool indicators, showing when their abilities (ABM or Force Meditation) are active?
A. Yes, yes they do. The command for this is ALT + A (also accessible by r-clicking on those characters). I've also added this feature to the Arca Jeth, Jedi Spirit mini.

Q. If I have the new SWM Vassal mod and my friend still has the old version, will we be able to play a game together?
A. No. I doubt that you'll even be able to find each other on the Vassal interface, since they are essentially 2 different mods. Your friend should download the new version of the mod.
FlyingArrow
Posted: Friday, July 3, 2020 5:49:34 AM
Groups: Member , Moderator

Thanks, TINT! This sounds awesome!
pntkd2
Posted: Friday, July 3, 2020 6:05:44 AM

Thanks a bunch! I'm sure this is all a lot of work, and it is much appreciated!
UrbanShmi
Posted: Friday, July 3, 2020 7:33:25 AM

This is fantastic! Thanks, Trevor!
gandalfthegreatestwizard
Posted: Friday, July 3, 2020 12:04:12 PM

I didn't know any of those hotkeys in the first place. Thanks, TINT.
Darth O
Posted: Friday, July 3, 2020 1:32:21 PM

Thanks Trevor - stellar job!
wannabe mexican
Posted: Saturday, July 4, 2020 12:25:36 PM

I literally just posted about the old links being broken. Classic timing.
Darth_Jim
Posted: Sunday, July 5, 2020 4:46:39 AM

I'm caught up, but as yet untested. Thanks, Tint.
Caedus
Posted: Sunday, July 5, 2020 7:24:20 AM

Thanks Tint, very awesome.
thereisnotry
Posted: Friday, July 10, 2020 6:59:55 AM

Announcement
GenCon Vassal has a V-Set Sealed event...and therefore we'll need V-Set 20 pieces in the mod by the time GenCon starts. I'm on it!

I am in the process of adding the V-Set 20 pieces to the vassal mod, and so version 20.0 will be out soon (version 19.0 is currently the only one available for download).

I would release version 20.0 today, but that would spoil the V-Set 20 spoilers that the V-Set Designers are releasing right now, so I'll wait with releasing this vassal update until the designers give me the go-ahead. Regardless, I will make sure that it's ready for download before GenCon.

Enhancements to the Vassal Mod
Additionally, as part of v20.0, I'm making some fixes and adding some further ease-of-use enhancements to the vassal mod:

--I made a mistake in v19.0: I didn't recognize at first that most V-Set pieces can't currently be deleted as normal (though you can do that for the WotC pieces). Right now, when a V-Set character is defeated the only thing you can do is drag it off the map. This will no longer be an issue in 20.0; I'm putting a "Delete" (CTRL-X) function on the V-Set pieces so that they'll work as normal in this way.

--As was almost guaranteed to happen when individually adding each character in the game into the mod, I missed a piece or two. I'm adding any characters that I'm aware are missing (see below).

--Making the Door markers easier to use: a simple r-click menu will give you the door condition that you want. This will be far easier and more intuitive than cycling through all the different door conditions. I'm really happy with this one!

--Characters that give the Mined or Corrupted or Poisoned or Burning effects (and also those who create Thermal devices) will now be able to create those tokens right from their character image piece on the board. No more need to go back to the Markers menu and pull out the token that you need! However, I could use some help here (see below).

--The scorecard will work better and report things more smoothly, as well.

Help Wanted
At this point, I would really appreciate some help from the community:

1. If you notice any characters who are missing, please let me know. A simple BM will be fine. For example, someone already pointed out that I missed the Nautolan BS Vigo. Did I miss any other characters?

2. It is very difficult to keep track of all of the abilities that cause effects that use tokens (Mined/Corrupted/Poisoned/Burning). I think I've got all the ones for the Mined and Corrupted and Burning effects, but I haven't been able to find the abilities or characters that give the Poisoned effect. I'm not talking about Poison +10, but rather the abilities that cause the affected character to have to roll a save on subsequent activations in order to avoid extra damage and get rid of the Poisoned effect. If there is a list somewhere of the special abilities that give these effects? For example, Proximity Mines 20 and 40 are the SAs that give the Mined effect. Similarly, Force Corruption gives the Corrupted effect. I can't seem to find the ability(ies) that gives the Poisoned effect. Can anyone enlighten me here?

Saving Squads and Maps
Unfortunately, the changes in this update will mean that in some cases you'll need to re-save your saved stuff (whether squads or maps) if your saved files contain any pieces that are affected by these updates. I'm really sorry about this; I know it's a pain to re-save things. My suggestion is that, right now, you shouldn't spend a lot of time pre-saving your squads. Rather, I'd suggest that you only save the squads that you plan to use over the next few weeks. Then, when the v20.0 comes out in a few weeks, you can save all of the stuff that you want and nothing will need to change again (hopefully) for a long, long time.
TimmerB123
Posted: Saturday, July 11, 2020 9:50:28 AM

thereisnotry wrote:

As with most things on Vassal, keyboard commands are usually a combination of holding down the CTRL key and pressing the letter that corresponds with what you're looking to do (ie, CTRL + G adds Gambit points).

There have been keyboard commands in vassal all these years? I never had a clue. No wonder certain of you are so fast with everything. I've been using the long way this whole time!
TimmerB123
Posted: Saturday, July 11, 2020 10:53:09 AM

Downloaded and ready to rock! Thanks Trevor!

A lot of good stuff here.

One bummer for me - and it might be a Mac thing - The control and arrow buttons do not effect my force points. It just makes the vassal window jump around. Oh well. The control+1-5 still works, as well as control+option(alt)+1-5

wannabe mexican
Posted: Saturday, July 11, 2020 11:21:28 AM

I didn't know Vassal had the option to save squads.
FlyingArrow
Posted: Saturday, July 11, 2020 2:13:19 PM

It's not intuitive.
thereisnotry
Posted: Sunday, July 12, 2020 8:14:49 AM

V-Set 20 has been added to Vassal, and is now AVAILABLE TO DOWNLOAD. I've updated the link in the first post of this thread, so that it now gives you version 20.0.

You can delete version 19.0. Yes, if you have version 20.0 you will still be able to play games with someone who has 19.0...that person just won't have all the functionality that you do.

Version 20.0 is better in several ways (see notes in the first post of this thread).

Download it, you should. Happy, you will be.
FlyingArrow
Posted: Sunday, July 12, 2020 8:42:07 AM

Saber Dart poisons people.
thereisnotry
Posted: Tuesday, July 14, 2020 1:42:15 PM

FlyingArrow wrote:
Saber Dart poisons people.
Ah, that's the one. Thanks!
swinefeld
Posted: Tuesday, July 14, 2020 7:13:10 PM

Trevor, you're a rockstar!
Stickied BlooMilk
thereisnotry
Posted: Saturday, July 18, 2020 5:17:49 PM

Thanks Dave!

Version 20.1 is now available. It's not necessary, but it does add orange lines on the Starport Terminal map to clarify that the 3 sections on the right-hand side of that map are treated as pits. It also adds a new Porg creation feature (R-Click on a Porg character and select the Porg's Nest option to create 2 more), and makes some other minor adjustments (adding the persistent Poisoned effect for characters with Saber Dart, etc).

None of this is necessary, so if you don't want to take the time to download it, you won't really be missing out on much. But if you've got a few minutes, then you might as well download it.
thereisnotry
Posted: Friday, July 31, 2020 10:14:56 PM

Version 20.2 is now available. Use the new link, shown in the first post of this thread.
Fixed an error with the Sith Recruits, which had them starting with 2 FP...now they start with 1 FP, as they should.

Created more Scorecards, which give varying amounts of Gambit points when you select the "Gain Gambit" option or when you highlight them and press CTRL + G. There are now Scorecards designed specifically for 100, 125, 150, 200, and 500pt matches, with proper automatic Gambit points.

It's nice when characters that can Blast doors (via Satchel Charge or Thorium Charge, etc) can create the needed marker more easily. Same thing with characters that have the Override (and Manual Override) ability. Now you can! The next time you're playing a game, take a look at a character that has one of these abilities. However, please take note that characters in any squads you've saved beforehand will need to be replaced if you want to have this functionality. So, for example, if you have an Uggie in a squad you want to use, you'll need to load your squad, pull the Uggie out, and replace it with a new Uggie (from the Units list) and then re-save your squad.