RegisterDonateLogin

Did you ever hear the tragedy of Darth Milk the Bloo?

Welcome Guest Active Topics | Members

November LS/DS Tournament Options
TimmerB123
Posted: Wednesday, November 25, 2020 8:59:49 AM
Groups: Member

Oh wow, thanks Trevor and everyone. I didn't expect a start time change just for me, but if it works for everyone, than great!
FlyingArrow
Posted: Wednesday, November 25, 2020 5:34:08 PM
Groups: Member , Moderator

Some extra incentive... one squad from this tournament will re-appear in the January "Tournament of Champions".

http://www.bloomilk.com/Forums/default.aspx?g=posts&t=29973

I'll probably take whatever squad has the most wins, with the first tiebreaker being fewest games to get those wins, and then following the standard tiebreakers after that. The LS/DS format produces a winning player, but with 2 squads per player, it won't produce a clear "best squad". The "winning squad" for our purposes might not even be a squad of the winning player.
urbanjedi
Posted: Thursday, November 26, 2020 9:58:35 AM

I will miss out on this one. Hopefully next month I can get back in.

thereisnotry
Posted: Thursday, November 26, 2020 1:06:38 PM

urbanjedi wrote:
I will miss out on this one. Hopefully next month I can get back in.

Sorry to hear that. I'll miss my reliable first-round matchup with Jason, that seems to happen so often in these events!

If you guys would be interested then I'd be totally happy to organize another tournament for some time during the Christmas holidays. (Personally, I'll be mostly off work from December 24 - January 6, but I'll have to set up a poll to see what days would be best for the most people.)
thereisnotry
Posted: Thursday, November 26, 2020 1:15:13 PM

UrbanShmi wrote:
Excited for this! When can we start submitting our squads?

I've just sent a copy of my info to Darth_Jim. You can all go ahead and start sending me your info. There's no rush; you have plenty of time before Saturday. Please be sure to carefully read the instructions in the first post of this thread before you start building your squads. If you have any questions, please post them in this thread.

The final deadline for when I need to receive your info is 1:00 pm (eastern time) on Saturday afternoon.

As a quick reminder:
thereisnotry wrote:
...please send me a BlooMail which includes the following information:

LS Squad Name:
LS Squad Link:
LS Squad Map:

DS Squad Name:
DS Squad Link:
DS Squad Map:

In order to save time and hassle during the event, please take a moment to pre-Save both of your squads before the event begins.

Cheers! I'm looking forward to Saturday!
Darth_Jim
Posted: Friday, November 27, 2020 11:58:14 AM

I did receive Tint's squads, and ordinarily I might be tempted with pumpkin pie offers to reveal his squads, but I have a houseful of Canadiens and will not be able to pull off that kind of betrayal. Best of luck to everyone in the tournament.
FlyingArrow
Posted: Saturday, November 28, 2020 4:56:35 PM

For rounds 2, 3, and the finals, who played light and who played dark?
DarthBainCapital
Posted: Saturday, November 28, 2020 5:10:08 PM

In round 2 I played dark and Tim played light. I didn’t set up carefully and he sniped my lancer in the first couple activations. Things only went downhill from there. Round 3 I had a bye and made turkey pot pie.
UrbanShmi
Posted: Saturday, November 28, 2020 5:40:29 PM

In round 2 I played dark and Trevor played light. In round 3 I played light and Adam played dark.
thereisnotry
Posted: Saturday, November 28, 2020 6:14:00 PM

So there it is, the tournament is over, and Tim is the winner! Here's a brief summary of my tournament journey:

Round 1 vs DarthBainCapital
I won the squad roll and I decided to go with my DS (Darth Bane, Zannah, Atton) vs his LS (GOWK, SkyGuy, Padawan swarm). We played on his Starport District, and he set up on the right. Basically, the story of this game was me picking off his Padawans bit by bit, which left his main guys (GOWK, Anakin) unable to put out enough damage to take out my heavy hitters. 3-0 for me.

Round 2 vs UrbanShmi
I won the squad roll again, and I really wanted to play my LS squad (Mace, Yoda, Ima), so I ended up playing vs her DS (Nightsister craziness). Bad idea! Her squad was dynamite! I managed to kill off Talia in the second round by towing Yoda. Laura then poured a bunch of damage into Yoda, but I think it was worth it because they no longer had Opportunist. Meanwhile the rest of my guys charged forward and attacked where they could. Next round, Yoda survived with 20 hp to jump over and put some damage on Assaj (whom Mace had hit once prior). Laura did superb work with her Nightsister combos, but I managed to squeak by. At the end, my Mace had 40hp and Foul was also really low, but they got the job done. I think Laura's squad might be the best one in the tournament!

Round 3 vs TimmerB123
I saw the matchups and knew that his LS squad (Talon with Morrigan) have a virtual auto-win vs my Sith Tank squad, so when I won the squad roll I immediately chose my LS vs his DS (Revan, Assaj). Neither Assaj nor Mace made very many Parry/Block saves, so both went down quite a bit more easily than either of us would've expected. Ima Gundi did some good work for me, doing 3 or 4 significant LS Sweeps. In the end, Yoda and Ima were the only 2 left standing after taking down the evil sith.

Finals vs TimmerB123:
He won the squad roll, and that was pretty much that. His guys were regularly putting out 40+ damage, and my Soresu and LS Defense saves could only last for so long. He ended up locking me out with Lobot since both of my door control pieces were dead, but even if I had somehow prevented that, I don't think I could've survived for too much longer.

I've always loved the LS/DS format! I think the added layer of choosing matchups adds another level of fun and strategy into the mix. Thanks, everyone, for playing! Perhaps I'll find a good time to host another tournament at some point during the Christmas holidays.
TimmerB123
Posted: Saturday, November 28, 2020 6:14:33 PM

Tim vs Adam round 1 - Tim Dark, Adam Light, Tim 2-0
Tim vs DarthBainCapital round 2 - Tim Light, DBC Dark, Tim 3-0
Tim vs Trevor (Swiss) round 3 - Tim Dark, Trevor Light, Trevor 3-1
Fim vs Trevor (Finals) - Tim Light, Trevor Dark, Tim 3-0
TimmerB123
Posted: Saturday, November 28, 2020 7:04:37 PM

FlyingArrow wrote:
Some extra incentive... one squad from this tournament will re-appear in the January "Tournament of Champions".

I'll probably take whatever squad has the most wins, with the first tiebreaker being fewest games to get those wins, and then following the standard tiebreakers after that. The LS/DS format produces a winning player, but with 2 squads per player, it won't produce a clear "best squad". The "winning squad" for our purposes might not even be a squad of the winning player.

Not sure how you’re deciding, but I don’t think any squad won more than 2.

My Talon Karrde (lightside) squad went 2-0, 6pts. 3-0, 3-0
thereisnotry
Posted: Saturday, November 28, 2020 8:33:45 PM

TimmerB123 wrote:
FlyingArrow wrote:

My Yoda-Mace squad was also 2-0.
TimmerB123
Posted: Sunday, November 29, 2020 10:57:06 AM

thereisnotry wrote:
TimmerB123 wrote:
FlyingArrow wrote:

My Yoda-Mace squad was also 2-0.

Yeah, I knew yours was as well, and maybe even 1 other. Don't know the tie breaking criteria.
3-0, 3-0 vs 3-1, 3-1? SoS?
FlyingArrow
Posted: Monday, November 30, 2020 6:34:30 AM

Tim's squad made the cut for the January Tournament of Champions.

Your two were the only squads that went 2-0. I was using the following criteria since squads wouldn't necessarily play the same number of games:

1. Most wins (tied)
2. Fewest games (tied)
(Use the normal tiebreakers after this point)
3. Most points (tied)
4. Total wins (already used as criteria #1)
5. Head-to-head (not applicable)
6. SOS 1: SOS minus worst win. Subtracting the worst win leaves each squad with just its best win. Tim's Light squad beat Tint's Dark squad (which had 3pts) while Tint's Light beat Tim's Dark (which had 2pts). So Tim's Light squad wins.

This tournament was designed to find a winning player, not a winning squad, so individual squads didn't play enough games to really determine a winning squad. As a result, the tiebreakers aren't very satisfying, but at least it's an objective criterion. Tim's Light squad actually ends up winning the tiebreaker because Tim's 2pt win in round 1 weakened the SOS of Tint's Dark squad.

As a side note, I don't look at the tiebreaker criteria very often. I probably knew that total wins comes before head-to-head, but I had forgotten.
TimmerB123
Posted: Wednesday, December 2, 2020 10:44:12 AM

It just so happened that the dark/light matchups between Trevor and I were both lopsided. Advantage to both nightside squads. That's bound to happen sometimes in this format.

The more interesting matchups would have been our Light vs Light or Dark vs Dark matchups.

His light counters my light's suppressive fire, but I still have Ysalamiri. That said I think it would be hard to protect Talon with Yoda flipping about and 3 additional movement breakers. Theres quite a lot of firepower coming back at the Jedi though. If Talon can be protected it becomes quite a match.

Dark vs Dark would also be interesting. My parries and his Soresu Mastery would loom large. My movement and master tactician would be a big plus on my side, but Jaq, Bane and Zannah are no joke. Plus is Jaq rolls a few avoid defeats, it's all up in the air.