RegisterDonateLogin

The Ultimate

Welcome Guest Active Topics | Members

Dark vs Light League Options
urbanjedi
Posted: Thursday, March 25, 2021 5:36:26 PM
Groups: Member

Ill give this a go. Hopefully I can make it work out.

TimmerB123
Posted: Thursday, March 25, 2021 8:49:30 PM

urbanjedi wrote:
Ill give this a go. Hopefully I can make it work out.

Awesome!
TimmerB123
Posted: Thursday, March 25, 2021 8:51:08 PM

UrbanShmi wrote:
Unfortunately, I am out for this one. It's actually harder for me to line up one game a week than to play for a solid day, but only every once in a while. I hope you have fun, though!

Totally understand. You’ll be missed but I sincerely appreciate your careful consideration and prioritizing what you need to right now. Smile
TimmerB123
Posted: Thursday, March 25, 2021 8:55:36 PM

Mando wrote:
I vote for option 1. I do believe Jason was considering playing, so that would make our group a little bigger. I messaged him about it, so we'll see. Maybe Laura can join also?

We could also do this (which i would prefer because of more games). Everyone plays everyone else 2 times. One game per week. Cut to top 2 for playoffs? It's really hard to get 2 back to back games or even 2 seperate games per week for me. I can definitely do 1 game per week so i'd like to keep that as our way to play. I'd don't mind playing everyone else 2 times tho.

I totally understand and respect keeping it to one game a week. If we did do playing each other x2, I’d personally want to make it so you play both matchups, as opposed to 2 individual games each with 2 matchup options (4 squads). If we were all up for playing each other x2, then I’d make each round 2 weeks. Get in it back to back or once a week, your choice. But that’s 10 weeks. 1x each is 5 weeks. (Plus finals)
Mando
Posted: Friday, March 26, 2021 6:36:14 AM

That sounds good to me Tim about doing the 2 games over 2 weeks. You each get to play light side and dark side then If I understand that correct? So no rolling to see who gets what in the second game? Glad to see we have 6 people total now!
TimmerB123
Posted: Friday, March 26, 2021 8:17:15 AM

Mando wrote:
That sounds good to me Tim about doing the 2 games over 2 weeks. You each get to play light side and dark side then If I understand that correct? So no rolling to see who gets what in the second game? Glad to see we have 6 people total now!

Yes, that would be the idea. But I’d like the other players input too
thereisnotry
Posted: Friday, March 26, 2021 9:20:29 AM

For the Round Robin section, I'd be fine with any of the options that you suggested. I'd be happy to play more games (rather than less) but I'm not worried about it either way.

I like the idea of the Finals/Playoff being a best of 3. That looks fun.
Darth_Jim
Posted: Friday, March 26, 2021 11:06:46 AM

TimmerB123 wrote:

Both players bring 3 squads, one from each category. Light plays dark, "Neutral" will play neutral in game 3 only if needed.

Thoughts?

I am fine with any of the options we decide on except this line. Neutral should be available for any of the finals games.
TimmerB123
Posted: Friday, March 26, 2021 11:43:52 AM

Darth_Jim wrote:
TimmerB123 wrote:

Both players bring 3 squads, one from each category. Light plays dark, "Neutral" will play neutral in game 3 only if needed.

Thoughts?

I am fine with any of the options we decide on except this line. Neutral should be available for any of the finals games.

And to be clear, the main motivation was to get a best of 3 in the finals. I was trying to figure out how to make that happen, and changing to dark/light/neutral (just for the finals) was one way to achieve that.

I'm open to ideas of how to do a best of 3 finals with just dark and light. I guess we could do the first 2 like normal, and if those games get split, then both players can bring:

1. Any squad they want, but bring a single squad. (factions used in the first 2 cannot be replayed)
2. A new Light and a Dark squad each, (factions used in the first 2 cannot be replayed) and roll off to see which matchup goes (though I like this less because it leaves a lot of luck on that one roll)
3. One of the "Neutral" 3 factions (but Light and Dark as normal for the first 2). {Fits the theme}
thereisnotry
Posted: Saturday, March 27, 2021 4:51:48 AM

I really like the Best-2-of-3 idea.

I don't have any strong preference about how it's handled, and I'm not even concerned about getting it all sorted out before the event starts. Let's just make sure it's clear before we get to the start of the final round of the event.
TimmerB123
Posted: Saturday, March 27, 2021 7:52:36 AM

thereisnotry wrote:
I really like the Best-2-of-3 idea.

I don't have any strong preference about how it's handled, and I'm not even concerned about getting it all sorted out before the event starts. Let's just make sure it's clear before we get to the start of the final round of the event.

100% agree
TimmerB123
Posted: Saturday, March 27, 2021 8:12:20 AM

1st post updated.

When opponent matchups are made - you will reveal both dark and light squads simultaneously, but then have up to 2 weeks to play both squad matchups (always LS vs DS) vs the same player.

If we all finish early, we can start the next round early, but averaging 1 game a week will be respected. Not here to rush anyone, but also no reason the hold back if everyone has played.

Finals with top 2 players will be best of 3, exact format tbd.

Reminder -

An ALL FRINGE squad (as a faction) is LIGHTSIDE for this tournament.

A Mandalorian squad (as a faction) are DARKSIDE for this tournament.
TimmerB123
Posted: Saturday, March 27, 2021 8:17:28 AM

Begun, The Dark vs Light League has.

Round 1 pairings
TimmerB123 vs Darth_Jim
thereisnotry vs Mando
Darth_O vs urbanjedi

You have until Friday April 9th at 11:59pm (US Central) to get both your games in with your opponent.

Grey Jedi, May The Force find Balance with you!
TimmerB123
Posted: Sunday, March 28, 2021 12:39:28 PM

Darth_Jim and I played both of our games today.

The Day of the Uvaks

Great minds think alike!

My squads -

http://www.bloomilk.com/Squad/211637/uvakkin
Quote:
--Uvakkin'--
57 Darth Sidious, Sith Master
30 Lost Tribe Isolationist
27 Lobot
20 Darth Wyyrlok III
60 Skyborn Ranger on Uvak x3
6 XT-6 Droid x2

(200pts. 9 activations)

http://www.bloomilk.com/Squad/223069/could-this-work-in-republic---i-dunno--lets-see
Quote:
--Could this work in Republic? I dunno. Let's see--
35 Anakin Skywalker on STAP
31 Morrigan Corde
28 Mira of Nar Shaddaa
27 Lobot
23 Captain Panaka
21 Admiral Yularen
9 R2-D2, Astromech Droid
8 Mas Amedda
4 Prowler 1000 Seeker Droid
3 Mouse Droid
9 Rodian Brute x3
2 Kneesaa, Ewok Princess

(200pts. 14 activations)

Jim's squads -

http://www.bloomilk.com/Squad/216243/insideous-rangers
Quote:
--InSideous Rangers--
57 Darth Sidious, Sith Master
27 Darth Bandon
20 Darth Wyyrlok III
60 Skyborn Ranger on Uvak x3
8 R7 Astromech Droid
7 Gloom Walker Recruit
6 Rodian Brute x2
6 Ugnaught Demolitionist x2
9 XT-6 Droid x3

(200pts. 15 activations)

http://www.bloomilk.com/Squad/216276/pilots
Quote:
--Pilots--
36 Atton "Jaq" Rand
33 Bastila Shan, Jedi Master
31 Tott Doneeta
29 Carth Onasi, Old Republic Soldier
18 Klatooinian Captain
14 Lak Sivrak
11 Watto
10 Dark Hellion Marauder on Swoop Bike
8 R7 Astromech Droid
4 Tusken Raider
6 XT-6 Droid x2

(200pts. 12 activations)

I won matchup roll, and chose to let him play his Uvaks first (thinking I'd learn how to play them more effectively, there is a bit of a learning curve and he has experience.)

Game 1 - Jim's Sith vs my Republic

My reinforcements:
(Lobot) 8 Muun Tactics Broker
(Lobot) 12 Rodian Brute x4

Well, he sure thought me really quick. It was brutal.

I won map (Outlaw City), and thought that gave me a chance. He chose left. I still didn't see how truly far the reach was AND be able to do TWO battering charges deep in my territory in one phase in the first round. 4 activations in 1 phase!!! He took out Mira, Morrigan, Lobot, and R2 before I could even use them. I barely took out 2 Uvaks, and he gifted me 2 XTs. I never even got a chance to MAKE it to gambit.

Final Score - Jim's Sith over my Republic 200-46. 3-0

Game 2 -

My reinforcements:
(Lobot) 13 Jawa Scavenger
(Lobot) 4 Gran Raider
(Lobot) 3 Rodian Brute

Jim "won" map roll, but we both had Throne Room, so I chose left.

I guess I did learn a thing or 2

Game felt pretty similar to the first game, but this time I was crushing with the Uvaks. Jim seriously did give me a step by step tutorial on how to use them, and I followed what he said. End of round 1 I kill Carth and Atton, win init and then take out his swoop mount. Tott falls off and puts up a little fight, but he goes down before too long. Bastila is able to take out the last Uvak before I kill her.

Final Score - My Sith over Jim's Old Republic 200-63. 3-0

As always - had a great time playing and catching up with Jim

Darth_Jim
Posted: Sunday, March 28, 2021 12:59:20 PM

Those games were a LOT of fun! The main differences in our Uvak builds is that Tim chose to boost their attack, I chose to boost their damage. When I ran this at GenCon, I discovered the Achillies Heel of my squad... the attack number is too low. Overall, I think Tim's build is better because the extra 10pts of damage is less critical than the attack roll. We both learned something about our squads today... He learned about its reach, I learned about attack numbers. I think I will be retooling my squad.

As always, it was great to catch up with Tim. This looks to be a fun league.
TimmerB123
Posted: Monday, March 29, 2021 7:12:24 AM

Yeah, I understood the reach for a single Uvak (with pawn), that was easy enough. I planned on facing one battering charge from across the board. What I hadn't put together, was 2 battering charges, from across the board, all in one phase. In round 1. Uvak goes 20 (just to cover distance), pop an XT next to Sidious, he pawns the same Uvak, who goes another 20 and smashes, then end of Sidious' turn he swaps in a fresh Uvak, and since Sidious was a "free" activation, including the pawn and swap, the fresh uvak activates and can can smash the same group some more, or go even deeper for another smash. 4 activations in 1 phase, including 2 movement breakers.
Mando
Posted: Monday, March 29, 2021 7:49:25 AM

TimmerB123 wrote:
Yeah, I understood the reach for a single Uvak (with pawn), that was easy enough. I planned on facing one battering charge from across the board. What I hadn't put together, was 2 battering charges, from across the board, all in one phase. In round 1. Uvak goes 20 (just to cover distance), pop an XT next to Sidious, he pawns the same Uvak, who goes another 20 and smashes, then end of Sidious' turn he swaps in a fresh Uvak, and since Sidious was a "free" activation, including the pawn and swap, the fresh uvak activates and can can smash the same group some more, or go even deeper for another smash. 4 activations in 1 phase, including 2 movement breakers.

That is a pretty ingenious strategy! i had no idea that there was a way to get 4 activations in 1 phase with the sith. totally forgot about sidious and his pawn/swap since no one ever use him. but that probably will change now. thanks for explaining that all! that is the most insane amount of movement i've ever seen.
thereisnotry
Posted: Monday, March 29, 2021 11:28:27 AM

Jim playtested this squad against me twice before GenCon last summer. It's insane. My ERCs were defeated by the end of Round 3. lol

The only problem it had was a low Attack value. But now that there's a squad that gives them an extra +4 Attack, I think the Sidious Uvaks really could be a significant threat.
Mando
Posted: Monday, March 29, 2021 12:05:05 PM

thereisnotry wrote:
Jim playtested this squad against me twice before GenCon last summer. It's insane. My ERCs were defeated by the end of Round 3. lol

The only problem it had was a low Attack value. But now that there's a squad that gives them an extra +4 Attack, I think the Sidious Uvaks really could be a significant threat.

if the uvak dies from someone doing riposte or djem so as a reaction to the attack, do the rest of the attacks still go through or do they end as soon as the uvak is defeated?
TimmerB123
Posted: Monday, March 29, 2021 3:02:05 PM

thereisnotry wrote:

Oh great - do we have to ban Uvaks here too!?!