RegisterDonateLogin

Could still beat you with 1 Doombot tied behind its back.

Welcome Guest Active Topics | Members

Star Wars Adventure Gaming Plus! Options
kezzamachine
Posted: Friday, August 27, 2021 10:42:05 AM
Groups: Member , Moderator

Yo.

So, I've been playing with ideas for how to inject some RPGness into your SWM-ing and y'all may have seen my SWAG gaming stuff, but I've been experimenting with some ways of mod-ing SWM Characters for either RPG or Scenario purposes... I give you SWAG+ (or Star Wars Adventure Gaming Plus)! Disclaimer: I'm doing this as a mental exercise and it sooooo much fun to come up with stuff like this, but I thought I'd share it because just maaaybe others might be into it. All goods.

I'm slowly developing a fun system (or a funstem) where you can mod existing SWM Characters by adding cards to them - much like an X-Wing of Armada thingee. I want to be able to add Weapons, Armour, various skills and Abilities to SWM Characters so you can play scenarios, or run against interesting character combinations for the helluvit. Fun stuff, man! These cards will be the same size as SWM Cards and will slide under the bottom of the SWM Card to add fun things to that character. Some of it will fit nicely, some of it will be wild, pretty much all of it will need some hefty house rules to manage it!

Anyhoo, where I am starting is Species Cards! My Species Cards slide under the bottom of your SWM Card to change the Species of an SWM Character into whatever you like. I've started with a handful of the most common ones and have plans to add plenty more (if I get that far). (Actually, if you like this and don't see a Species that you want, lemme know!) Why not turn your SpecForce Marine into a Wookiee? Or your Jedi Guardian into a Twi'lek? Anyhoo, here's how it works:

Here's the link to the folder containing my Cards so far!
SWAG+ Cards Folder

Anyhoo - if this is of interest to you, lemme know. If there's changes you think I should make, lemme know. If there's something you'd like to eventually see, lemme know!

Stay awesome, y'all.
kezzamachine
Posted: Friday, August 27, 2021 11:17:33 AM

And because I can't stop there...

I've always liked the idea of being able to instantly turn a character into a Squad of some kind, so I don't have to go through the chore of finding a bunch of varied characters that match the faction that can become a Squad of some kind... so - Ta Da! - I've started creating Squad Cards!

A Squad Card, like the Species Card above, slides under the SWM Card to change it from one character to become a Squad of varied size made up of that character! Now you can instantly create Stormtrooper Squads, Clone Squads, Independent Militia Squads... whatever! - based off single characters.

I've currently focused this down a very military path - Squads, Units, and Special Force - and only at the basic level to start, but this instant multiplication of a single character can go anywhere... Pirate hordes, Thug gangs... oh, so much fun to be had!

Again, the link to the Cards folder is the same as above:
SWAG+ Cards Folder

Any feedback or requests - I'd love to hear from ya!
Peace.
kezzamachine
Posted: Friday, August 27, 2021 11:34:00 AM

Aw yeah - let's do this!

Cassus fett
Posted: Friday, August 27, 2021 11:42:34 AM
Groups: Member

This is a beautiful idea. I would love to see weapon/gear cards. It'd be great to slide a scatter gun card under some stormtroopers to give them blast cannon (or something like that.) Maybe stick a sniper rifle on Bossk (for whatever reason i'd wanna do that.)

Question for the squad stuff. How do they operate in terms of activations and turns. Does the 9 man stormtrooper squad get nine activations before being exhausted? How would I track that?
kezzamachine
Posted: Friday, August 27, 2021 11:53:50 AM

And - lastly for today, because I am still working on other stuff - I've been trying to play around with a SWMAI system and, y'know, it's bloody hard! Anyhoo - here's where I've got to:

The way it works is before each AI character activates, you make a d20 roll to determine their Aggression (which will determine how they operate). A high roll will likely see them charge into the fray, whereas a low roll will be quite the opposite. Once you've rolled, you work out which table you're rolling from (are they just normally attacking, or do they gain bonuses from standing still, or can they even see their opponents, etc.) and then you work out what their move is.

A coupl'a examples:
1) My Stormtrooper can't see the opponent. He rolls a 13 for his AI Roll. Looking at the "No Target" Table, he will Charge! towards the opponent, being sure to veer to his right when such options present themselves. This could mean heading towards the right-most opponent, or heading down a right-way corridor, or even just ending in cover to the right. Easy.

2) My other Stormtrooper next round can see the Opponent. Now, if he was within 6 squares of his Officer, he'd be able to get a bonus, but since he isn't, he's gonna roll from the "Standard" Table. He rolls a 10, but because the character that activated right before him made an "Aggressive" move, this character gets a +2 to his roll. Emboldened by his comrades, his 10 becomes a 12 and he is now "Confident" and will move forward into cover while attacking, taking the attack at the most advantageous time. The character that rolls after him will then get a +1 bonus to their roll because of his confidence.

It should be self-explanatory, but will require a hefty dose of house rules. Two notes: The Commander's Aggression, which is in the "Rolling for AI Actions" is a bit of future proofing. Eventually, I'd like to give Commanders a +/- for their leadership, but you could play around with this now. You could run a Jedi against an ultra-Aggressive Commander (+3!) or a overly-Cautious one (-2...?!) - have some fun wi' it. And secondly: I've found so far in my tests that AI is a bit dummer than it could be, and the points cost of the AI squad needs to be 150% of the player-run squad. a 30pt player-run Jedi would need to run against 45pts worth of Stormies for it to work.

All very rough and fun for Scenarios and RPG!
Rule!
kezzamachine
Posted: Friday, August 27, 2021 11:59:54 AM

Cassus fett wrote:
This is a beautiful idea. I would love to see weapon/gear cards. It'd be great to slide a scatter gun card under some stormtroopers to give them blast cannon (or something like that.) Maybe stick a sniper rifle on Bossk (for whatever reason i'd wanna do that.)

Thanks man! Yes, weapons are next. I woke up at 6am this morning thinking of giving Stormtroopers a Lightsaber...

Cassus fett wrote:
Question for the squad stuff. How do they operate in terms of activations and turns. Does the 9 man stormtrooper squad get nine activations before being exhausted? How would I track that?

Well, in my tests, I ran a single character against a nine-character squad and played it as per SWM activation rules. The Squad obviously easily out-activated the Jedi which made it tougher - the Jedi had to whittle them down. I also used a handy-dandy AI system that I am trialing (see above). You can either have an opponent run the squad or use the AI system to determine which one activates or however you like. However you do it, I played it like an SWM game with nine separate characters. I just so happened to have all the info on one card.

I also did my tests on Vassal and was able to add conditions to each character so I knew who was who (all my minis are at school where I teach and we're in lockdown and I can't get them!), but you could easily grab different models for the different squad members. Maybe.

Hope that helps!
Cassus fett
Posted: Friday, August 27, 2021 12:18:32 PM

kezzamachine wrote:
Cassus fett wrote:

Thanks man! Yes, weapons are next. I woke up at 6am this morning thinking of giving Stormtroopers a Lightsaber...

Cassus fett wrote:

Well, in my tests, I ran a single character against a nine-character squad and played it as per SWM activation rules. The Squad obviously easily out-activated the Jedi which made it tougher - the Jedi had to whittle them down. I also used a handy-dandy AI system that I am trialing (see above). You can either have an opponent run the squad or use the AI system to determine which one activates or however you like. However you do it, I played it like an SWM game with nine separate characters. I just so happened to have all the info on one card.

I also did my tests on Vassal and was able to add conditions to each character so I knew who was who (all my minis are at school where I teach and we're in lockdown and I can't get them!), but you could easily grab different models for the different squad members. Maybe.

Hope that helps!

Yes I think I get it. The squad would activate and you could choose to have one of their marksmen go, and then say a squad tech go. Then you would just have to manually mark that one marksman and one tech had gone.

I think the only other big question is how is damage distributed? Say a Mace Windu has waded into a squad of stormtroopers and makes his to hit roll. Does the squad controller get to say, "oh you killed my tech?" or does Mace's controller get to say, "no I killed the commander."

I know Warhammer 40k and I believe star wars legion uses the former method. IE. squad controller decides who dies when damage is taken.
kezzamachine
Posted: Friday, August 27, 2021 12:39:21 PM

Oh! I get it. No, you run each character in the squad as its own character. Its like having nine separate SWM characters with nine separate cards. The only things is, all the info is on one card! Its just like SWM.
Cassus fett
Posted: Friday, August 27, 2021 12:46:55 PM

kezzamachine wrote:
Oh! I get it. No, you run each character in the squad as its own character. Its like having nine separate SWM characters with nine separate cards. The only things is, all the info is on one card! Its just like SWM.

AH! I get it now, my bad. I was interpreting this as one model representing the whole squad. Again, my bad. Still a good idea. Really looking forward to gear cards.
kezzamachine
Posted: Friday, August 27, 2021 1:22:39 PM

If you have a look in the folder, they have already begun...
kezzamachine
Posted: Sunday, August 29, 2021 8:56:57 PM

Well, I've done some more work on this puppy and this is where we are!

If you are interested in adding Items - that is Weapons, Armour, and Equipment - now you can! Well, you can start the process. There is a crapload of options and direction I could take this part of things, but in a nutshell this is what it will look like:

It may take some time, but I have stacks of ideas about what items to add, and now that the template is done, I can just start making it awesome!

Sometimes, however, you may want to boost the Stats of characters. Perhaps your stormtrooper's attack is not high enough, or your Clone's defense is too low... etc., well, now you can!

I know there is more I can do here, but I'm at the start with it. Dam keen on your feedback!

And lastly...

Enjoy!
Cassus fett
Posted: Monday, August 30, 2021 5:03:48 AM

I play tested with some of this stuff over the weekend. I did pure WOTC squads, Rebels vs. Imperials. I used some of the squad cards, Rebels had a basic 5x Rebel trooper squad, and the Empire had a basic special ops stormtrooper team. Imperials also had Bossk Bounty Hunter with the Resilient upgrade.
They worked really well, the squads added some more stuff to track but it wasn't too bad. MVP was Bossk with 20 extra health for 2 points so those upgrades may need two point values, one for being attached to non-uniques, and one if it's attached to a unique character. But that's just my 2 cents from 1 game.
Mando
Posted: Monday, August 30, 2021 6:20:05 AM

Great work on this kezza! you are one of the most gifted content creators I know! that you made this whole system from scratch and keep improving on it is simply amazing ThumpUp BlooMilk
General_Grievous
Posted: Monday, August 30, 2021 7:11:58 AM

Well done! Love the X-Wing + SWM combo here
kezzamachine
Posted: Tuesday, August 31, 2021 11:38:28 AM

Thanks heaps for the feedback! I'll keep an eye on the Uniques-Costing thing. Because its mainly focused on RPG-based/Scenario fun, I'm not too worried about making a slightly suck Unique better, but I am thinking that I want to put some limits on how much HP/Def/Att you can increase to. I'll keep thinking.

Anyhoo!

I've been working on adding Abilities through cards to our SWM superstars. This process is a way of "levelling up" your SWM heroes but starting them down a path towards greatness. I'm starting smallish at the moment and can see a million directions that this can go, but you gots to start somewhere!

I haven't quite worked out how and when you add Abilities (similar to adding Bonus Cards with the whole "levelling" thing), but I know that's what I'd like to be able to do. I've only got three Ability Cards in their to start with, but a whole load more are only just around the corner...

Anyhoo - have some fun!
Cassus fett
Posted: Tuesday, August 31, 2021 12:17:04 PM

I can see the leveling abilities and stat bonuses being perfect for campaigns. Say there was a brutal campaign where most of your army is defeated save for a few troopers. Well they're now battered survivors who have learned war is hell and how to survive it.
Say there's a bonus objective to raid an armory, they walk out with grenades and sniper rifles. They survive that mission and head into the next with grenade equipment cards and sharpshooter abilities having since learned how to use their pilfered equipment.
Just my immediate thoughts.
kezzamachine
Posted: Tuesday, August 31, 2021 3:02:42 PM

Booyah! That sounds awesome!

I like the idea of planting random weapons and equipment around a map and letting everyone hunt for the best ones...
Cassus fett
Posted: Wednesday, September 1, 2021 4:19:47 PM

Cassus fett wrote:
I play tested with some of this stuff over the weekend. I did pure WOTC squads, Rebels vs. Imperials. I used some of the squad cards, Rebels had a basic 5x Rebel trooper squad, and the Empire had a basic special ops stormtrooper team. Imperials also had Bossk Bounty Hunter with the Resilient upgrade.
They worked really well, the squads added some more stuff to track but it wasn't too bad. MVP was Bossk with 20 extra health for 2 points so those upgrades may need two point values, one for being attached to non-uniques, and one if it's attached to a unique character. But that's just my 2 cents from 1 game.

Just realized I should clarify that these were full 200 point teams, they were just pure WOTC. I was simply listing what I had actually tested from the SWAG stuff. I also agree that helping out some low tier unique's isn't a problem. I'm just thinking that GOWK or Caedus SL probably shouldn't be able to grab an extra 20hp for +2 points. (IDK maybe in a campaign format it would be neat.)
kezzamachine
Posted: Wednesday, September 1, 2021 10:44:58 PM

House rules!
kezzamachine
Posted: Friday, September 3, 2021 2:55:14 PM

Okay! So I've been furiously working on Weapons and Equipment over the last week. This is what I've made:

Weapons:
-- Pistols and Rifles --
Blaster Pistol
Blaster Rifle
Light Blaster Pistol
Net Gun
Verpine Shatter Rifle
-- Melee --
No Weapons!
Axe
Club
Knife
Quarterstaff
Stun Baton
Vibro-Axe
Vibroblade
Vibrodagger
Electrostaff
Shockstaff
-- Special Weapon--
Grenades
EMP Grenades
Flamethrower
-- Heavy Weapon --
Missiles 10
Heavy Blaster Rifle
-- Lightsaber --
Lightsaber

Equipment
-- Communications --
Secure-A3 Comlink
Signal Scrambler
-- Explosives --
Satchel Charge
Satchel Charges
Shatter Beam
-- Medical Gear --
Medpac
Stimpak
-- Survival Gear --
Breath Mask
Jet Pack
-- Tools --
Lock Breaking Kit

I'm gonna starting thinking about Armour now... which is complicated... how do you give Battle Armour to a Stormtrooper who is already wearing Armour... anyhoo - we'll get there! I have some ideas and should work out...

I've also added a Squad Card - the Basic Flight Element, for those budding Pilot Squads out there.

This can still all be found at:
SWAG+ Cards Folder

Rawk!