RegisterDonateLogin

I have a good feeling about this.

Welcome Guest Active Topics | Members

Spheres of Influence League - begins Saturday Oct 2nd Options
TimmerB123
Posted: Saturday, September 11, 2021 8:51:06 AM
Groups: Member

Darth_Jim wrote:
I was hoping to get into this, but I just found out yesterday that my radiation treatments will start September 29 and continue through November 22, 5 days a week. I'll have a time commitment to that as well as the weekly doctor consults. They're saying that I may become fatigued. As much as I'd wanted to do this, I can't be very reliable. Maybe you could use me to monitor the second squads or something.

A proposal to have Darth_Jim involved was raised by Udorian84, and I think it's a fantastic idea. Of course Jim only will agree to it if every player involved is fine with the arrangement.

The proposal is that Darth_Jim will play the events to the extent he can. In weeks where fatigue or other issues arise that he is not able to play, he will assign a "ghost player" to play his squad.

This event is meant to be "fun competitive", not ultra-competitive. Meaning each game should be played in a good-natured competitive way, but even though there will be an "overall winner" of the event, ultimately that matters little. It's really meant to just have a blast playing the game we all love.

In that spirit, I personally see no issue with this arrangement, and in fact encourage it. That said, if anyone has issue with this arrangement (or wants to suggest specific boundaries for the arrangement), please PRIVATE MESSAGE me. No need to fear public proclamation, I will keep it anonymous.

If I receive no messages of concern in one week, we will proceed with this arrangement. Thanks in advance for being open to considering it.
Udorian84
Posted: Monday, September 27, 2021 8:33:52 AM

I can't wait, this is going to let us play tons of different squads.
Saturday is October 2nd by the way.
Anyone else joining in?
TimmerB123
Posted: Monday, September 27, 2021 12:05:11 PM

I received no objections to the proposal to let Jim play. So he is in!
Darth_Jim
Posted: Monday, September 27, 2021 4:07:09 PM

This is why I love this community. Thanks, everyone.
Mando
Posted: Tuesday, September 28, 2021 3:30:00 AM

looking forward to this tournament! glad you could join us Jim!
TimmerB123
Posted: Tuesday, September 28, 2021 9:43:30 PM

Not only were there no objections, there were many comments from players saying they loved the idea, and volunteering to help.

We love playing the game, having fun, and helping our fellow community members to play too. It is really a win/win all around.

Jim, I'll leave it up to you to line up your mercenaries.
TimmerB123
Posted: Tuesday, September 28, 2021 9:53:02 PM

NOTE - There will be a map list change!

We will be using the new restricted map list. Not all of the maps are available on Vassal yet, so any of the maps that are on Vassal will be legal. Any additional maps that are on the restricted list that become available later, will be legal as soon as they are on Vassal.

Available on Vassal right now (legal from start to finish of the league)
Imperial Garrison
Asteroid Base
Cloud City
Gangster's Vault

Available on Vassal soon, (legal as soon as they are available through the end of the league)
Desert Marketplace
Imperial Checkpoint
Oceanic Facility
Royal Militia HQ
imyurhukaberry
Posted: Wednesday, September 29, 2021 5:38:22 AM
Groups: Member , Moderator

I see you guys have only 7 players in right now. I'd love to be the 8th, however, my wife and I find out when her next back surgery will be tomorrow. Great timing huh? The surgery will put her out for months...and as such...my time will become focused on all that life brings us during that time.
SO I don't think it would be fair to commit right now not knowing what life will be like over the next few months.
IF the surgery is postponed for a few months, then maybe I can jump in from the start.
Regardless, I will be watching with great enthusiasm!
thereisnotry
Posted: Wednesday, September 29, 2021 5:53:48 AM

TimmerB123 wrote:

We will be using the new restricted map list. Not all of the maps are available on Vassal yet, so any of the maps that are on Vassal will be legal. Any additional maps that are on the restricted list that become available later, will be legal as soon as they are on Vassal.

Imperial Garrison
Asteroid Base
Cloud City
Gangster's Vault

Available on Vassal soon, (legal as soon as they are available through the end of the league)
Desert Marketplace
Imperial Checkpoint
Oceanic Facility
Royal Militia HQ
Sounds good.
FWIW, everything is ready to go right now, except for the Desert Marketplace and Imperial Checkpoint maps...I've heard that those should be added to JC's Map Omnibus soon (ie, this week), and so those 2 maps will be added to Vassal almost right away after that.

I'll post in this thread when that happens.
spryguy1981
Posted: Wednesday, September 29, 2021 7:18:03 AM

imyurhukaberry wrote:
I see you guys have only 7 players in right now. I'd love to be the 8th, however, my wife and I find out when her next back surgery will be tomorrow. Great timing huh? The surgery will put her out for months...and as such...my time will become focused on all that life brings us during that time.
SO I don't think it would be fair to commit right now not knowing what life will be like over the next few months.
IF the surgery is postponed for a few months, then maybe I can jump in from the start.

Can we do the Ghost squad idea here also? That gives us more people who can play.
TimmerB123
Posted: Wednesday, September 29, 2021 8:19:12 AM

thereisnotry wrote:
TimmerB123 wrote:

Imperial Garrison
Asteroid Base
Cloud City
Gangster's Vault

Desert Marketplace
Imperial Checkpoint
Oceanic Facility
Royal Militia HQ
Sounds good.
FWIW, everything is ready to go right now, except for the Desert Marketplace and Imperial Checkpoint maps...I've heard that those should be added to JC's Map Omnibus soon (ie, this week), and so those 2 maps will be added to Vassal almost right away after that.

I'll post in this thread when that happens.

Awesome! Thanks Trevor!
TimmerB123
Posted: Wednesday, September 29, 2021 8:22:56 AM

spryguy1981 wrote:
imyurhukaberry wrote:

Can we do the Ghost squad idea here also? That gives us more people who can play.

I would like that as well, especially if that makes it an even number.

imyurhukaberry - hit me up on private message and we can talk to see if that would work for you.

All other players - again, private message me if you have an objection to this. No judgement either way, the situation is a little different than Jim's. Any objection will remain anonymous. If no objection by Saturday (assuming this also works for imyurhukaberry), then we can move forward with it.
imyurhukaberry
Posted: Wednesday, September 29, 2021 12:12:40 PM

One question: (or two)
Can Fringe be used as a faction in each of the first 3 rounds/eras?
(potentially using them at least 3 times over the course of the first part of the league)
If so, can there be a limit to how many times you can use all Fringe?
TimmerB123
Posted: Wednesday, September 29, 2021 3:10:12 PM

imyurhukaberry wrote:
One question: (or two)
Can Fringe be used as a faction in each of the first 3 rounds/eras?
(potentially using them at least 3 times over the course of the first part of the league)
If so, can there be a limit to how many times you can use all Fringe?

First, let’s be very specific about what fringe as a faction means. By definition, you are playing fringe as a faction if, and only if, every single piece in your squad is Fringe.

If, for example, you are playing a squad with Talon Karrde, and have all Fringe characters except for one piece (perhaps that piece has independent outfit therefore it doesn’t Nerf his commander effect), Then that squad’s faction is not Fringe.

Examples:

Quote:
67 The Mandalorian (Din Djarin) and the Child
42 Embo
32 Talon Karrde, Information Broker
31 Morrigan Corde
28 Mira of Nar Shaddaa

(200pts. 5 activations)
This squad is MANDALORIAN. Din Djarin and the Child are of the MANDALORIAN faction. They do have independent outfit, but that does not actually change their faction. Therefore the Squad is Mandalorian.

Quote:
--"Jabba Momma" 2021 Gencon Champion--
43 Jabba Desilijic Tiure
35 Asajj Ventress, Nightsister
31 Mother Talzin
50 Nightsister Hunter x2
21 Talia, Nightsister Hunter
17 Ortugg, Gamorrean Leader
8 R7 Astromech Droid
3 Ugnaught Demolitionist

(208pts. 9 activations)
This squad is Separatist Asajj Ventress Nightsister is of the Separatist faction. Even though Jabba makes her Hutt Cartel, it does not change her faction. Therefore the squad is separatist.

Now that we have defined what playing a Fringe faction squad is, the answer to your question is that you may not play a Fringe squad in any of the first three rounds, as fringe is not a faction option in any of those themes.

Fringe will be a faction option in later rounds. Once it is solidified how many players we have I will post the additional rounds necessary. It will be a different combination of factions every round.
imyurhukaberry
Posted: Thursday, September 30, 2021 9:47:53 AM

That makes sense...and agree.

And now for my news:
The doc's answer...surgery early-mid November.
With that, I will decide to NOT enter the league.
We have a lot going on and this adds the straw on the camel.
It wouldn't be fair to the other players.
So thank you and appreciate the gesture of allowing me the leeway of ghosting! (even if I didn't take it)
TimmerB123
Posted: Friday, October 1, 2021 9:50:43 AM

imyurhukaberry wrote:
That makes sense...and agree.

And now for my news:
The doc's answer...surgery early-mid November.
With that, I will decide to NOT enter the league.
We have a lot going on and this adds the straw on the camel.
It wouldn't be fair to the other players.
So thank you and appreciate the gesture of allowing me the leeway of ghosting! (even if I didn't take it)

Understood, thanks for the consideration. Best of luck to you and your wife through her surgery on beyond.

Perhaps the October Sunday one-day tournament could be doable for you? Just planting the seed
TimmerB123
Posted: Friday, October 1, 2021 9:51:53 AM

Currently standing at 7 participants. Love to get one more on board . . .

bottom line is that it's a good excuse to play minis
urbanjedi
Posted: Friday, October 1, 2021 3:08:07 PM

I think I am going to pass on this one.

However, I would be more than happy to sub in a game or two for Jim if he has to miss a game.
TimmerB123
Posted: Saturday, October 2, 2021 7:16:25 AM

urbanjedi wrote:
I think I am going to pass on this one.

However, I would be more than happy to sub in a game or two for Jim if he has to miss a game.

We’ll miss you being part of this, though should Jim call upon you as a mercenary, we may see you there still.
TimmerB123
Posted: Saturday, October 2, 2021 7:17:27 AM

Word on the street is that current WORLD CHAMPION DarkDracul is going to join us making an even 8.