RegisterDonateLogin

Is fluent in over 6 million forms of communication.

Welcome Guest Active Topics | Members

Spheres of Influence League - Round Themes, pairings, results Options
Darth_Jim
Posted: Sunday, October 10, 2021 7:13:42 PM
Groups: Member

Round 1, game 2 between Darth Jim and Udorian84. Darth Jim wins 3-1, 200-45

I played:

--Legacy of Frustration--
85 Obi-Wan Kenobi and Anakin Skywalker
65 Mace Windu, Legacy of the Light Side
23 Foul Moudama
11 Jedi Holocron
9 R2-D2, Astromech Droid
6 Ugnaught Demolitionist x2

(199pts. 7 activations)

He played:

--The Edmund Fitzgerald (Squad #2)--
45 Mara Jade, Jedi
32 Jaina Solo Fel, Jedi Master
27 Lobot
25 Barada on Desert Skiff
25 Jacen Solo
23 Anakin Solo
15 Momaw Nadon
7 Felucian

(199pts. 8 activations)

I won map roll and chose my map, Imperial Garrison. Mike chose the right side. Oh yeah, his Lobot reinforcements were Dr. E and an uggie. I got Obi-Ani to gambit and tried to block the skiff from landing in gambit by towing an uggie with R2 then running it into gambit. He played everything perfectly and shot it with Mara. I was kicking myself for not parking Mace in there but inexplicably he left the skiff outside. To start the second round he did not disembark anyone either at the beginning of his first turn or after he activated it and soon ran out of activations. Foul carried Mace up next to the skiff and double critted it to drop it without any rerolls. Mike missed the save 6 with Dr. E and he went down with the ship. The next round I based both Anakin and Jacen with Mace, intending the force absorb any Unleash the Force attempts. He did get one off late in the game but I made all of my saves while Momaw didn't. Mace was the hero, dropping both the skiff and Mara later in 1 turn each. Tonight's game could be summed up by saying the game was decided by Mace's hot dice and Mike's misuse of the skiff. His squad is good and he just needs to understand how to use the skiff.
Udorian84
Posted: Monday, October 11, 2021 6:00:20 AM

Tis true I don't know how to play the skiff. I meant to honor the design and play the designer. But.... I failed miserably haha. But Jim's use of Mace is flawless. He made Mace fulfill the image of Tartakosvky. In one round he falls the skiff. Killing Dr. E in the crash. Then his placement next round is really what sealed the match (kind of already sealed, but that really did it). To be honest, if I am going to be slaughtered, I am glad it was Mace. I even had Lobot unlock a door just so he can stand in awe.
TimmerB123
Posted: Monday, October 11, 2021 10:02:22 AM

Round #1, match 1
TimmerB123 (Republic) defeats UrbanShmi (Republic) 200-55 (3-0).

My Squad:
--Piratey goodness--
30 Arvo Norstag, Pirate King
30 Dashade Pirate
30 Hondo Ohnaka
28 Enfys Nest
26 Booster Terrik, Smuggler Chief
21 The Crimson Corsair (Sidon Ithano)
14 Benthic, Partisan Lieutenant
10 Ponda Baba, Galactic Criminal
11 Wookiee Scoundrel

(200pts. 9 activations)

UrbanShmi's squad:
--Friends in the 501st--
70 Commander Rex and Ahsoka Tano
24 Clone Commander
23 Captain Panaka
20 Ima Gun-Di
15 501st Legion Clone Commander
9 R2-D2, Astromech Droid
25 501st Legion Clone Trooper x5
8 Mas Amedda

(200pts. 14 activations)

Played on my map Imperial Garrison
TimmerB123
Posted: Monday, October 11, 2021 11:51:49 AM

Round #1, match 2
TimmerB123 (Old Republic) defeats UrbanShmi (Old Republic) 200-130 (3-1).

My Squad:
--Raskta Lsu-dicrous?--
60 Raskta Lsu
38 Revan, Supreme Commander
25 Gnost-Dural, Jedi Master
25 Sylvar, Betrayed Jedi
20 Mirialan Jedi Knight
15 Army of Light Consular
11 Teethree (T3-M4)
6 XT-6 Droid x2

(200pts. 9 activations)

UrbanShmi's squad:
--Vaklu's Wookiees--
46 Ven Zallow, Jedi Master
29 Satele Shan, Hero of Alderaan
27 General Vaklu, Defender of Onderon
25 Gnost-Dural, Jedi Master
19 Elite Wookiee Commando
18 Wookiee Commander
22 Wookiee Scoundrel x2
5 Killik Drone
3 XT-6 Droid

(200pts. 12 activations)

Played on her map Asteroid Base
TimmerB123
Posted: Monday, October 11, 2021 11:55:16 AM

Darth_Jim wrote:

Just confirming - it says 3-1, but the score showing would be 3-0. Is it a 3-0?
TimmerB123
Posted: Monday, October 11, 2021 12:05:28 PM

That is the end of round 1.

Everyone please double check your record and tournament score to make sure everything is correct.

Round 2 will start tomorrow, I will post which set of pairings we are going with (based on a D20 roll by a neutral party) as soon as that happens.

Get your Separatist, Rebel, and Imperial squads ready to go, it's time for the Insurrectionists!
Udorian84
Posted: Monday, October 11, 2021 12:13:59 PM

TimmerB123 wrote:
Darth_Jim wrote:

Just confirming - it says 3-1, but the score showing would be 3-0. Is it a 3-0?

I definitely did not get a point.
3-0
TimmerB123
Posted: Monday, October 11, 2021 10:15:59 PM

Round 2

Quote:
Insurrectionists

-Separatist-
-Rebel-
-Imperial-

As Insurrectionists, you must topple the official governmental tyrants
and install your new system to dominate this
SPHERE OF INFLUENCE!

Everyone must build (exactly) 2 out of these 3 factions for this round.

Pairings:
Quote:
TimmerB123
vs
Udorian84

thereisnotry
vs
Mando

UrbanShmi
vs
Darth_Jim

spryguy1981
vs
DarkDracul

You have until Tuesday October 26th to get BOTH of your matches in with your opponent.
thereisnotry
Posted: Wednesday, October 13, 2021 8:53:13 PM

ATTENTION: Vassal Module version 22.1 is now available. This includes all 4 of the new maps for the Restricted Map List. Please be sure to download this update before you play your Round 2 games.

Click here to download the SWMinis_2.vmod update
TimmerB123
Posted: Thursday, October 14, 2021 6:00:49 AM

thereisnotry wrote:
ATTENTION: Vassal Module version 22.1 is now available. This includes all 4 of the new maps for the Restricted Map List. Please be sure to download this update before you play your Round 2 games.

Click here to download the SWMinis_2.vmod update

Awesome! Thank you Trevor!

All restricted maps will be legal starting this round. Please update before your next game
UrbanShmi
Posted: Thursday, October 14, 2021 6:44:19 AM
Groups: Member , Moderator

Jim and I will be playing tonight at 6:30 Eastern.
Udorian84
Posted: Thursday, October 14, 2021 7:49:42 AM

UrbanShmi wrote:
Jim and I will be playing tonight at 6:30 Eastern.

Awesome! Wish i could watch tonight.
UrbanShmi
Posted: Thursday, October 14, 2021 5:48:18 PM
Groups: Member , Moderator

Game 1, Round 2.

UrbanShmi over Darth_Jim, 203-196, 3-1

I played:

-How YOU Doin'?--
42 Lomi Plo
42 Savage Opress
31 Mother Talzin
50 Nightsister Hunter x2
21 Talia, Nightsister Hunter
15 Daultay Dofine
5 Killik Drone
3 Mouse Droid

(209pts. 9 activations)

Jim played:

--Desann, Reborn--
45 Darth Vader of Lothal
39 Desann
92 Reborn Shadowtrooper x4
24 Bothan Saboteur x3

(200pts. 9 activations)

We played on my map, Royal Militia HQ. I set up on the right after Jim deferred set-up.

This was a crazy fun game with lots of twists and turns. I dropped Vader in Round 2 and thought I had the upper hand, but Jim fought back with a ton of Lightnings (Mother T doesn't get the immunity, so once he lightninged her to death, it was open season) from Desann and the Reborn Shadow Troopers. I made good use of the Invisibility Potion to move Hunters around, as well as using Water of Life at least once. Jim also made liberal use of Proximity Mines toward the end of the game. In the end, It was Desann vs. Savage, with some fodder on both sides, and I just went over 200.

In game two, it was my Imperials vs. Jim's Separatists, and he came out on top, 206-127. The squads were

Me:

--Sisters of the Empire--
35 Asajj Ventress, Nightsister
33 Nightsister Shaman
31 Mother Talzin
50 Nightsister Hunter x2
21 Talia, Nightsister Hunter
17 Nightsister Sith Witch
12 Nightsister Spirit
8 Mas Amedda

Him:
-Cloudy--
34 Alto Stratus
32 Talon Karrde, Information Broker
31 Red Hand Syndicate Boss
66 Nimbus Commando x3
27 Red Hand Syndicate Spy x3
10 Porg x2

(200pts. 11 activations)

This game was also a bloodbath, played on Imperial Checkpoint. I'll let Jim write it up, but suffice it to say, those Nimbus guys are scary with everything clicking.
TimmerB123
Posted: Thursday, October 14, 2021 6:40:18 PM

UrbanShmi wrote:
This was a crazy fun game with lots of twists and turns. I dropped Vader in Round 2 and thought I had the upper hand, but Jim fought back with a ton of Lightnings (Mother T doesn't get the immunity, so once he lightninged her to death, it was open season) from Desann and the Reborn Shadow Troopers. I made good use of the Invisibility Potion to move Hunters around, as well as using Water of Life at least once. Jim also made liberal use of Proximity Mines toward the end of the game. In the end, It was Desann vs. Savage, with some fodder on both sides, and I just went over 200.

Oh man that sounds like an awesome game! It's a bummer it had to end early. I was reading along with great excitement. Desann vs Savage!?! Oh man, can't wait to see how this plays out. Wait, What? Over because of gambit? What a letdown!
Darth_Jim
Posted: Thursday, October 14, 2021 7:37:44 PM

Laura and I had 2 great games tonight! Our second game reminded of me of a chess match trading piece for piece. I made out a little better in my trades. I pretty much had to kill Asajj twice, with her down to 20 early because of my Nimbus commandos but then Talia and the Shaman brought her back to full health. The only advantage that brought me was that because those pieces were occupied, I could control gambit and keep her bottled up in the hallway above. In the end, I had gambit position with Talon and the Red Syndicate Boss against a Nightsister Hunter.
Darth_Jim
Posted: Friday, October 15, 2021 6:21:53 AM

TimmerB123 wrote:
UrbanShmi wrote:

Oh man that sounds like an awesome game! It's a bummer it had to end early. I was reading along with great excitement. Desann vs Savage!?! Oh man, can't wait to see how this plays out. Wait, What? Over because of gambit? What a letdown!

Actually, it WAS an exciting game and while gambit pushed her over 200, the game should not have continued. The gambit area was part of the game and part of the game strategy. In the end, Laura had Savage in gambit where he'd just killed my last shadow trooper and moved a nightsister hunter into gambit... and in a position where Desann could kill her. That's what I did and thats how I got to 196. If gambit hadn't been a strategic consideration for either of us this game, she never would have positioned the hunter that close to Desann. I was in good central position early in the game and Laura pushed me out. This game was one of the most fun games I've ever played and Laura deserved to win it just the way she did.
TimmerB123
Posted: Friday, October 15, 2021 11:18:51 AM

Darth_Jim wrote:
TimmerB123 wrote:
UrbanShmi wrote:

Actually, it WAS an exciting game and while gambit pushed her over 200, the game should not have continued. The gambit area was part of the game and part of the game strategy. In the end, Laura had Savage in gambit where he'd just killed my last shadow trooper and moved a nightsister hunter into gambit... and in a position where Desann could kill her. That's what I did and thats how I got to 196. If gambit hadn't been a strategic consideration for either of us this game, she never would have positioned the hunter that close to Desann. I was in good central position early in the game and Laura pushed me out. This game was one of the most fun games I've ever played and Laura deserved to win it just the way she did.

Yes of course with the rules as we have them the game ends there. My only point is that it WAS gambit that ended the game (regardless of if it had strategic implications on the game), not finishing all of an opponent's pieces. It would have been cool to see it played out fully. Certainly didn't mean to implicate that Laura didn't deserve the win, it sounds like she played it just right. It just would have been more satisfying to not see it end with major pieces on both sides left on the board.
Udorian84
Posted: Friday, October 15, 2021 11:24:42 AM

I played Timmerb123 in the first game and won 230 - 134 (3-1)

I ran
http://www.bloomilk.com/Squad/229745/skipping-line-squad--1--cloud-city-

83 Emperor Palpatine, Reborn
44 Zam Wesell, Bounty Hunter
32 Thrawn (Mitth'raw'nuruodo)
27 Lobot
8 Mas Amedda
3 Rodian Brute
3 Ugnaught Demolitionist

(200pts. 7 activations)

I brought in an ug, 3 Rodian Brutes, and 2 Gran Raiders

He ran a Dashade Partisan/Talon squad. I accidentally deleted it but it had Lux and Saw and a few others.

SORRY! (this is what I remember)

Talon
Dashade Partisan x3
Saw Gerrera
Lux Bonteri
Benthic, Partisan Lieutenant 19
Partisan Sniper
r7

We played on his map Imperial Garrison.

Man it was tough because he had Ysalamiri and Force Immunity. and double twin and +4 +10 and the skill factor.

I was able to get Zam to kill a few pieces from the bottom and Reborn was able to kill some more pieces. He had some double twin action but my movement let me stay away from it mostly. Reborn was down to 40 and Zam was dead at the end. I guess I see the power in swap, but I don't think it is that fun to actually play. I killed the guy who gave out Twin and thought "ok this is good" just to be retold that Camaraderie is until end of skirmish haha. It got really hairy at that point. Timmerb123 is not afraid to use squads that really have different things going on and so much to keep up with it. It is one of those squads that if we played again and he learned what he needed to to maximize the squad then I wouldn't be able to pull out a victory.
TimmerB123
Posted: Friday, October 15, 2021 11:56:46 AM

Round 2 Match 2

TimmerB123 (Empire) defeats Udorian84 (Separatists) 200-133 (3-1)

http://www.bloomilk.com/Squad/221465/giddy-with-death

--Giddy with Death--
47 Moff Gideon
27 Director Orson Krennic
66 Death Trooper x3 (After rapport 3 x 2 each)
16 Admiral Gilad Pellaeon
11 Admiral Motti
11 Admiral Ozzel
18 Death Star Trooper x3
4 Prowler 1000 Seeker Droid

(200pts. 12 activations)

http://www.bloomilk.com/Squad/229370/taxi-driver-squad--2--asteroid-base-

--Taxi Driver Squad #2 (Asteroid Base)--
40 Savage Opress
33 Asajj Ventress, Nightsister
31 Mother Talzin
27 Lobot
25 Barada on Desert Skiff
19 Talia, Nightsister Hunter
15 Sith Holocron
4 Loth-cat

(200pts. 10 activations)

He won map and I chose right side on Asteroid Base

Ozzel hurt more than he helped because I left him in LoS like a dolt. Had I moved him outta LoS that would have been a lot better. Motti was perhaps the MVP, with Doctrine of Fear allowing hits more times than I could count, and the improved spotter gave me the +10 damage when I needed it several times. Of course Pellaeon was massive with his Ysalamiri as well.

He loaded up the skiff and rolled right into gambit. I got some shots with my Death Trooper bringing it down to 90hp. He won init and let me go first, and I unloaded with crazy juiced up Krennic, taking the skiff out. He made all of his saves but 1, but was outside my Ysalamiri bubble so he was able to reroll to save Savage. He then unloaded on me with Asajj and Savage, I had to kill a Death Trooper from Unit Bodyguard (taking full damage because of her lightsaber). I used Gideon to attack, (rolled a 1 then a 2 on my double!), but we then realized the 2 still hit with doctrine of fear (missed the parry, couldn't reroll due to Ysalamiri, she took 40). Then he made Asajj disappear with Talia, and I used my prowler to get shots on Savage with improved spotter to take him down to 90hp. (I just realized Motti has Jedi Hatred, that could have made a big difference! Do'ah) He then did a clever move to pull Savage back into cover with his Loth Cat, negating AoOs. I had to step up just to get one shot on Savage (combined with improved spotter), taking him down to 50. I move Pellaeon up and pop Savage to get him down to 40. Next round he wins init and Savage takes out a Death Trooper (leaving me with only 1 DT with 40hp left.) I finish off Savage. Then he hits my last DT with Talia and misses once (finally rolls a 1! Only 1 he rolled in both games. No reroll due to Ysalamiri) leaving him with 20. He steps up with Asajj to take out Pellaeon. Krennic unloads and hits the 2 he needs (one with an improved spotter) to take out Asajj. Now Mother Talzin steps in unhindered to zap Gideon, also killing Krennic, the Death Trooper, and a Death Star Trooper. Then it's Gideon that steps in and gets Talia down to 20, Motti steps in and gets her down to 10 (should have killed her, forgot about Jedi Hatred). But no matter, I won init and killed her with Gideon, double on Talzin. Talzin does her last zap, and I finish her off with motti double/careful/deadeye/imporved spotter (overkill had I remembered Jedi Hatred).

It was a bloodbath and I made a few little placement errors that could have helped me out more. Positioning was crucial with this squad. I also neglected to move a DT up into attacking position after Krennic unloaded to kill the skiff, which was a big mistake. But I held on just enough to pull it off. Unit bodyguard became just plain bodyguard since I was being attacked with lightsabers (no Krennic reduction), so them taking 40 damage each time was massive. I had to let someone die just about every twin attack. Hindsight I might have been better just to let him unload the skiff instead of using my massive cannon to take it out, and then not take opportunist attacks. But that would have changed a few things, so who knows?

As always, fun time playing with Mike. 2 good games.
TimmerB123
Posted: Friday, October 15, 2021 12:02:22 PM

Udorian84 wrote:

I was able to get Zam to kill a few pieces from the bottom and Reborn was able to kill some more pieces. He had some double twin action but my movement let me stay away from it mostly. Reborn was down to 40 and Zam was dead at the end. I guess I see the power in swap, but I don't think it is that fun to actually play. I killed the guy who gave out Twin and thought "ok this is good" just to be retold that Camaraderie is until end of skirmish haha. It got really hairy at that point. Timmerb123 is not afraid to use squads that really have different things going on and so much to keep up with it. It is one of those squads that if we played again and he learned what he needed to to maximize the squad then I wouldn't be able to pull out a victory.

Yeah I really need to learn my squads better, I neglected Lux's cannon shot multiple times. I misplaced Karrde and that allowed his Palp to take out Saw (90 damage, triple + opportunist), when he would have only done 20 damage if I had forced him to be in the bubble (couldn't swap in or get opportunist.) That cost me the game most likely. Thrawn is still Thrawn, and he makes everything so much better. I did get a couple double twins off with Dashades, but they missed more than they hit, so that was a bummer. I did pull off a nifty deactivator hold out pistol to kill Lobot, but ultimately that didn't matter. It was a really close game in the end, with my misses not allowing me to finish off Palp. Mike played it well and deserved the win.