RegisterDonateLogin

Mind what you have learned. Save you it can.

Welcome Guest Active Topics | Members

Spheres of Influence League - Round Themes, pairings, results Options
thereisnotry
Posted: Wednesday, October 20, 2021 8:15:49 PM
Groups: Member

TimmerB123 wrote:
thereisnotry wrote:
TimmerB123 wrote:
Dang, tint goes for the jugular. No tier 2 squads here, only the best of the best.
Well, the Sep squad was certainly top tier, but the Vader/Arica squad...that was entirely nostalgia, with the exception of Ruhk (who I'd always wanted to use in a Thrawn-swap squad, but have NEVER done until now...95 years later).

Ruhk is awesome! The squad is maybe not tier 1 these days, but close. Tier 1.25?

Just happy to see games where it doesn’t end with both teams having main threats still on the board.
Really? I don't think it's more than Tier 2. It absolutely cannot handle the field these days. The only reason I played it was because I only had to worry about 3 factions, rather than all 10...and I wondered if LV would be a decent solution to Assaj in the Jabba-Champion squad.
TimmerB123
Posted: Wednesday, October 20, 2021 8:43:58 PM

Never count out a good Thrawn swap squad. ThumpUp
DarkDracul
Posted: Wednesday, October 20, 2021 11:12:50 PM

TimmerB123 wrote:
DarkDracul wrote:
Round 2 Match 1
Darkdracul (Imperials) defeats Spryguy1984 (Separatists) 237-210 (3-1)

Another awesome game! Wish we could have seen Arvo and Snoke duke it out at the end.

We need to see my 120hp Snoke with 6 Fpts finish off his 40hp Arvo to know I won that game?
Stun-Zap, Stun-Zap . . . I win. or Arvo takes another 30mins running around the board hoping to win every init?
Nobody has time for such nonsense! We have a time and points limit for a reason and it worked perfectly here.
Like Chess, the objective of SWM is to reach the winning condition, not destroy all of your opponent's pieces.
There was absolutely no reason to continue the game further.

Udorian84
Posted: Thursday, October 21, 2021 5:25:59 AM

I will play really good squads every time I play. It might not be the best version of the squad (Reborn with Thrawn, and Skiff with Nightsisters) but I definitely want to compete in each battle. I felt bad not giving Darth_Jim a great game when he played Ani/Obi. I think it would have been more fun for everyone had I either known how to play the squad better or had a better squad. Every game is an opportunity!
TimmerB123
Posted: Thursday, October 21, 2021 12:53:22 PM

DarkDracul wrote:
TimmerB123 wrote:
DarkDracul wrote:
Round 2 Match 1
Darkdracul (Imperials) defeats Spryguy1984 (Separatists) 237-210 (3-1)

Another awesome game! Wish we could have seen Arvo and Snoke duke it out at the end.

We need to see my 120hp Snoke with 6 Fpts finish off his 40hp Arvo to know I won that game?
Stun-Zap, Stun-Zap . . . I win. or Arvo takes another 30mins running around the board hoping to win every init?
Nobody has time for such nonsense! We have a time and points limit for a reason and it worked perfectly here.
Like Chess, the objective of SWM is to reach the winning condition, not destroy all of your opponent's pieces.
There was absolutely no reason to continue the game further.

I’m sorry I only meant that by following along the narrative felt cut short. The movie in my mind was missing the last scene.

I certainly didn’t mean to implicate you didn’t deserve the win. My apologies that it came across that way.
DarkDracul
Posted: Thursday, October 21, 2021 12:53:30 PM

Round 2 Match 2
Darkdracul (Seps) defeats Spryguy1984 (Rebels) 210-197 (3-1)

Darkdracul
--Black Sun Gurr!--
37 Guri, Black Sun Enforcer
30 Xizor
27 Lobot
26 Ziro the Hutt
25 Alexi Garyn, Head of the Black Sun
38 Dug Black Sun Vigo x2
17 Twi'lek Black Sun Vigo
(200pts. 8 activations)
Reinforcements:
17 Twi'lek Black Sun Vigo
3 Uggie
Map: Asteroid Base

Vs

Spryguy1984
--Sphere's Squad 4--
45 Kanan Jarrus
43 Ahsoka Tano, Champion of the Rebellion
35 Hera Syndulla
26 Cham Syndulla
25 Sabine Wren
12 See-Threepio (C-3PO)
8 R2-D2
6 Ugnaught Demolitionist x2
(206pts. 9 activations)
Map: Royal Militia Headquarters

Spry won map (Boo!) and I bring in a Twi’lek and Uggie.
I forgot about Cham's Interference, or I might have brought Sy Snootles.

Round 1:
Both sides approach with Hera and Kannan ending in gambit.
Bry: 0 vs Spry: 10

Round 2: Spry wins init with a 5 because I rolled a 2.
Kannan pops out to kill a Dug but has to reroll because it's Spry and he rolled a 1.
My Dug dies a needless death. More stuff happens. Both sides advance up the board.
Bry: 0 vs Spry: 39

Round 3: Spry wins init 14 to 12.
Ahsoka runs past Guri taking 30dam to kill Dug #2 but rolls a 1. Guri kllls Hera. Kannan barrages to kill Guri and Alexi but rolls a 1 . . . so not killing Alexi. Sabine nades Alexi, Ahsoka and Ziro. Ahsoka fails and is now at 20hp. Alexi fails and is at 10hp. Ziro the Hut dodges that nade like the graceful Hutt he is. Twi’lek #1 kills Sabine and #2 Twi’lek finishes off Ahsoka. Then at Rounds end R2 locks my Ziro in the turbolift. OOPS!
Bry:103 vs Spry: 105

Round 4: I win init.
I go first and my uggie blows the door to release Ziro, kind of a waste but it had to happen.
Kannan Barrages killing my Uggie but misses a Twi’lek (twice). Then Cham shoots and misses the Twi’lek. Ziro puts 40 on Cham and a Twi’lek runs up and hits Kanan but gets Counterpushed back taking 20 damage.
Threepio and his uggie move to block my way. My second Twi’lek runs past his uggie to kill Cham. Alexi goes to kill the uggie standing in my way but rolls a 1. The Twi’lek gets cannoned and puts 40 on Kannan (60hp 0 force.). I run Xizor and base Kanan but completley forget Threpio's distraction. OOPs!
Bry: 139 vs Spry: 118

Round 5: I roll a 19 to win intit. HUGE! . .
My Twi’lek crits Kannan! He makes the Evade but fails the Jolt (whew!) but the twin misses and now Kanan is Cloaked thanks to broken Threepio. Xizor breaks away from Kanan luckily taking no damage and him and Ziro tag team R2 dead. My otherf Twi’lek dances around Threepio trying to find a clear line on Cloaked Kanan. I do but it’s out of range of Ziro’s Blaster Upgrade. No problem, I just need to hit Kanan once and then cannon to kill Kanan . . . I roll a 1.
Bry: 152 vs Spry: 128

So now it's a 60hp Kanan with Threepio and an uggie. vs my 2 wounded Twi’leks, a 10hp Alexi, a Ziro and Xizor.

Round 6: I win init again!
Alexi fires missing Kanan and cannons the Twi’lek who hits once Kanan 40hp but he makes the Jolt save this time. Kanan goes Blaster Baragge taking an AoO from Xizor who rolls a CRITICAL! (Kanan 20hp).
Kanan kills Alexi, a Twi’lek, damages the other Twi’lek and Xizor. Ziro bases Kanan to finish the game but rolls a 2 and a 4. So my last Twi’lek breaks away from his uggie to kill Kanan and end this game . . . but he rolls a Critical and drops my Twi’lek dead in it’s tracks. Finally, Xizor hits Kanan who is still standing with 10hp.

Round 7: I win init! Seems fair to me.
Ziro the Hutt Twin Attacks Kanan for the win. His Threepio and uggie run and hide. Luckily, since I’ve made enough kills in and collected enough gambit, I don’t need to chase them down.
Bry: 210 vs Spry: 197

Always good times clicking vassal dice with you Spry!
TimmerB123
Posted: Thursday, October 21, 2021 2:42:43 PM

That wraps it up for The Insurrectionists!

everyone please double check to make sure your scores and record and tournament points are all correct.

Round 3 starts tomorrow. The invasion of the OUTWORLDERS begins!

UrbanShmi
Posted: Thursday, October 21, 2021 2:44:33 PM
Groups: Member , Moderator

I should be above Mando (I have 5 points).
TimmerB123
Posted: Thursday, October 21, 2021 2:45:47 PM

Round 3
Quote:
Outworlders

-Sith-
-Mandalorian-
-Yuuzhan Vong-

Complacency and infighting made the Core Worlds susceptible.
As Outworlders, you must use the element of surprise to dominate this
SPHERE OF INFLUENCE!

Everyone must build (exactly) 2 out of these 3 factions for this round.

Shawn B rolled the D20 to determine this round's pairings:

Pairings
Quote:
TimmerB123
vs
spryguy1981

thereisnotry
vs
Darth_Jim

Udorian84
vs
DarkDracul

Mando
vs
UrbanShmi

You have until Sunday Nov 7th to get BOTH of your matches in with your opponent.

Get those SITH, MANDALORIAN and YUUZHAN VONG ready to invade!
TimmerB123
Posted: Thursday, October 21, 2021 2:48:08 PM

UrbanShmi wrote:
I should be above Mando (I have 5 points).

Corrected!
Udorian84
Posted: Friday, October 22, 2021 4:58:17 AM

This round is so tough to build for. It is going to be fun.
TimmerB123
Posted: Monday, October 25, 2021 8:30:14 AM

You have until Sunday Nov 7th to get BOTH of your matches in with your opponent.

Let the invasions of The Outworlders begin!
thereisnotry
Posted: Monday, October 25, 2021 5:56:54 PM

Round 3: Outworlders

thereisnotry defeats Darth_Jim 210-79 (3-0)

thereisnotry:
--Call us Vong--
44 Commander Sha'kel
28 Tsavong Lah, Warrior Elite
27 Minos, Yuuzhan Vong Warrior
27 Nen Yim
22 Khalee Lah, Warrior Progeny
19 Eighth Cortex Shaper
15 Yammosk War Coordinator
13 Yun-Ne'Shel Priest
5 Zonoma Sekot Scout
Reinforcements:
(ECS-CE) 18 Praetorite Vong Priest
(200pts. 10 activations)

Darth_Jim:
--Six--
67 The Mandalorian (Din Djarin) and the Child
54 Montross
39 Canderous Ordo, Mercenary Commander
28 Kelborn
12 Mandalorian Demolitionist x2
(200pts. 6 activations)

I won the map roll so we played on the Desert Marketplace; Jim chose to set up on the left. I gave Master Shaper to Shakel.

Round 1: Jim moved everyone up and was easily within Gambit, thanks to Resolnare. I set up most of my guys safely outside.

Round 2: Jim re-positioned his guys, and after he was all done I ran my guys in. Shakel gave the pump shot to Minos, who put 60dmg into Kelborn. I won the next init, so I ran in Khalee Lah (with Guile) to put some damage on Canderous.

Round 3: Jim wins init and pumps some good damage into Minos and Khalee. It put more damage into Canderous and bring Kelborn to 10 hp. Then Din Djarin cable grabs to use Whistling Birds, which damages all my guys (triggering scarification) and kills Minos, which triggers Retaliatory Attack for all my guys, since they're in the midst of everyone. Kelborn dies and Canderous drops to 10hp as a result. Shakel smacks Din for 80dmg (!?!?!) and then gives the pump shot to Khalee, who finishes Canderous. Then Tsavong uses some kind of Devotion to kill off Din Djarin. Montross used missiles on my guys, who were all grouped up: Khalee died, and some damage got through on Shakel and Tsavong, but it didn't look good for the lone Montross and 2 ugly Vong in his face.

Round 4: Montross did some more missiles, but then died to Shakel's attacks (one of which was a crit for 60dmg).

If the map had allowed Jim to draw good LOS, he could've caused severe troubles for my squad, with his Master Shot (negates Evade if he doesn't move), but because I could swarm him with all 4 guys before he was able to make an attack, that never happened. And wow...those Unique Vong are nuts. Shakel hitting for 40s (10 base, 10 Shaper, 10 Master Shaper, 10 Opportunist) is bonkers.
thereisnotry
Posted: Monday, October 25, 2021 6:09:11 PM

thereisnotry defeats Darth_Jim 200-69 (3-0)

thereisnotry:
--Mandalorian Daycare--
58 Mandalore the Vindicated
32 Venku Skirata
28 Kelborn
11 Death Watch Saboteur
3 Ugnaught Demolitionist
(199pts. 6 activations)

Darth_Jim:
--Dark Gambit--
71 Darth Nihilus, Lord of Hunger
35 Ommin, Sith Sorceror
18 Dark Force Nexus
17 Marka Ragnos, Dark Force Spirit
16 Vision in the Cave
15 Sith Holocron
14 Exar Kun, Dark Force Spirit
15 Porg x3
6 Ugnaught Demolitionist x2
(207pts. 12 activations)

Jim won the map roll, so we played on Desert Marketplace again. I chose the right-hand side.

Round 1: Jim started with 6 people in gambit, and my entire squad had 6 guys in it! He set himself up in the Gambit area and I merely advanced, but tried to space myself out so that Nihilus wouldn't be able to blast everyone all at once with a big Drain Life bomb.

Round 2: I won init but let Jim go first. I used Resolnare to set up my Saboteur (Traps) adjacent to the door and within 6 of Ommin. Jim moved a porg. The door opened at the end of his turn, and so Vindicated unloaded on Ommin, doing 60dmg on a fancy crit (and missing the other 2 shots). Din Djarin then finished him off. Kelborn shot at some Uggies, and then Venku charged in to attack Nihilus, needing 14s to hit (+12 vs 26 Def from LS Duelist) and missed. But immediately afterward he triggered his own CE to make a free attack, which put 30dmg on Nihilus Nihilus just took the dmg tried to Drain Life on Venku, but Venku rolled like a champ.

Round 3: I Resolnare my guys into the room, and Nihilus proceeds to Drain Life 3 of them for a nice 150 damage total (bringing himself up to full health). But then it was time to unload on Nihilus, and by the end of the round he was down to 20 hp.

Round 4: Jim won init and used Drain Life on Venku and my Saboteur to heal himself back to 120hp. So, my guys started on him again...and brought him to 20hp again. There were Illusions everywhere, good dice in some places, and finally a big Din Djarin crit-in-the-face, which finished the game.

Jim tried to make a TJ-inspired squad, with force ghosts and save penalties and fancy interactions going on everywhere. But I just brought some high-powered shooters, and the force-tricks couldn't keep up with the damage, in the end. Once again, it was a blast to play against my long-time buddy and fellow Champion-mobile traveler!
Darth_Jim
Posted: Tuesday, October 26, 2021 5:16:47 AM

I now have 2 maple leaf tattoos on each of my cheeks.

But Tint is right... it was great to catch up with him again. And... the best part... we solved Discord issues and can now communicate on a regular basis without using traditional texting or calling, solving the cost issue across national borders.

Fun games!
Udorian84
Posted: Tuesday, October 26, 2021 5:19:23 AM

thereisnotry wrote:

thereisnotry:
--Call us Vong--
44 Commander Sha'kel
27 Nen Yim
19 Eighth Cortex Shaper
13 Yun-Ne'Shel Priest
5 Zonoma Sekot Scout
Reinforcements:
(200pts. 10 activations)

I had made the exact same squad! but I saw that someone made it before me haha. I am late to the Vong world for sure. It looks really fun to be honest. I love the Commander Sha'kel design.
How competitive did it feel outside of the limits of this tournament?
thereisnotry
Posted: Tuesday, October 26, 2021 8:59:13 AM

Udorian84 wrote:
thereisnotry wrote:

thereisnotry:
--Call us Vong--
44 Commander Sha'kel
27 Nen Yim
19 Eighth Cortex Shaper
13 Yun-Ne'Shel Priest
5 Zonoma Sekot Scout
Reinforcements:
(200pts. 10 activations)

I had made the exact same squad! but I saw that someone made it before me haha. I am late to the Vong world for sure. It looks really fun to be honest. I love the Commander Sha'kel design.
How competitive did it feel outside of the limits of this tournament?
Oh, don't worry: this thing is competitive:
--Evade on a 7 (8th Cortex and YunNeshel Priest).
--Crab Armor saves are very easy to make (either on 2s or 7s).
--Doctrine of Fear effectively gives all of your main attackers a +4 Def boost, if you're up in your opponent's grilll (as you should be, asap).
--All of your attackers hit twice per turn, even on the move...and they hit hard, usually for 30dmg (up to 40 for the character with Master Shaper).
--Free attacks for the Lahs when they take damage from non-melee attacks.
--Free attacks when a Unique Vong dies...so if you have your dudes up in your opponent's grill when one of your guys dies, it'll cost him.
--Shakel's move-and-then-canon-shot CE is non-disruptible.
--The Yammosk can steal CEs...swap, quick strike, etc.

I haven't played this squad much before, but it's got some tricks and is not to be underestimated. Blast Bugs are probably the #1 strongest Vong squad in competition, but I think this one is right up there.
TimmerB123
Posted: Tuesday, October 26, 2021 12:28:39 PM

Matt and I played our games yesterday.

We nearly had 2 mirror matches, but I went Vong first and Matt played his nearly identical Vong (Shamed Ones) 2nd.
Matt played his Sith first, and I played my nearly identical Sith (Lost Tribe) 2nd.

Round 3 Match 1

TimmerB123 (Yuuzhan Vong) defeats Spryguy1981 (Sith) 200-110 (3-1)

My squad:

http://www.bloomilk.com/Squad/221902/untamed-shamed

--Untamed Shamed--
35 Kunra, Shamed Lieutenant
28 Vua Rapuung
28 Yu’shaa
26 Viull Gorsat, Wraith Squadron Ace
20 Yun-Shuno Priestess
12 Shamed Pilot
44 Shamed Warrior x4
7 Shamed Intendant

(200pts. 11 activations)

Matt’s squad:

http://www.bloomilk.com/Squad/228728/return-of-the-lost-tribe

--Return of the Lost Tribe--
46 Sarasu Taalon
39 Gavar Khai
30 Lost Tribe Isolationist
26 Ahri Raas
22 Vestara Khai
21 Sith Saber
16 Keshiri Temple Guard x2

(200pts. 8 activations)

We played on his map - Desert Marketplace.

2 (mostly) melee squads, a map without a lot of options for engagement.

We ran at each other and started hacking away.

I had that little extra movement from my Intendant. He had a bit more movement from Sarasu. He attacked first with the Saber, and I was happy to trade it for a warrior. I got some shots in with Viull, and he was in range to disrupt the Isolationist (interference), so that helped. In the congested middle room we had a hard time attacking with more than a couple pieces each round. We were all bunched up, and Ahri Raas used his blasted Stun Mortar so many times, activating so many of my pieces (and a couple of his too) before I finally took him out. Yu'shaa was boppin around with his squad full of decoys, distracting and opportunist smacking where he could. I think when all was said and done he took out Vua and most of my NUs. He still had Sarasu Taalon on the board and I had a few beat up Vong left when I went over 200. Such a lame ending, and we had time left on the clock, so we played it out for funsies. It only took about 30 more seconds, and finished with only one team left standing after I took out Sarasu Taalon, but not before he took out Kunra, greatly crippling my squad. Much more satisfying for both players.

Udorian84
Posted: Tuesday, October 26, 2021 7:07:43 PM

I played DarkDracul on my map Gangster's Vault.
I won 2-1.

I played
http://www.bloomilk.com/Squad/229783/3-amigo-salute--rd-3-squad--1-gangsters-vault-

--3 Amigo Salute (rd 3 Squad #1 Gangster's Vault)--
58 Mandalore the Vindicated
56 Tarre Vizsla
12 Mandalorian Demolitionist x2
5 Porg
2 Kneesaa, Ewok Princess

(200pts. 7 activations)

http://www.bloomilk.com/Squad/229856/shedao-shai-shooter-squad--1

30 Shedao Shai
29 Viqi Shesh
27 Nen Yim
51 Peace Brigade Soldier x3
17 Yuuzhan Vong Executor
13 Yun-Ne'Shel Priest
11 Yuuzhan Vong Ossus Protector
5 Zonoma Sekot Scout
2 Kneesaa, Ewok Princess

(200pts. 12 activations)

He set up on right and I set up on left.

He moved out and the second round I based Tarre on Shedao. I parried 4 attacks from Shedo all total with the help of my trusty porgs. Disruptive got rid of a lot of his Evade so I was able to topple the Shedao and his bodyguard.

DarkDracul made it very hard to Whistling Birds and kept my Vindicated on the run. He killed Tarre and I started killing the 3 Soldiers. I thought I was going to get to 3 points, but Nem Yim had other things in mind as she Thud Bugged the mandalorian into activation as I failed my save of 7.
We ran out of time before I could get into the back room with the rest of his points.

Dark Dracul was a master of slowing the game down by spreading his pieces out. They had stealth and Evade and really if the dice had been a tiny bit more in his favor he would have widdled Vindicated down even more. Vindicated had 80 HP and Mando had 140 at the end. I think he gave himself the best possible way to squeeze out a victory. With one more round I could have squeezed the 3 points.

Great game and quite frankly I learned a lot about how to spread pieces out and be very effective. He made me move my vindicated 3 times after round 3 and I was trying to be very set on finding a place where I could Triple more often.
I will use some of those tactics later.
TimmerB123
Posted: Tuesday, October 26, 2021 8:23:16 PM

Round 3 Match 2

TimmerB123 (Sith) defeats spryguy1981 (Yuuzhan Vong) 242-221 (3-1)

My squad:

http://www.bloomilk.com/Squad/224173/uniquely-lost

--Uniquely Lost--
46 Sarasu Taalon
39 Gavar Khai
30 Lost Tribe Isolationist
29 Lady Olaris Rhea
26 Ahri Raas
22 Vestara Khai
3 Mouse Droid
3 XT-6 Droid
2 Kneesaa, Ewok Princess

(200pts. 9 activations)

Matt's squad:

http://www.bloomilk.com/Squad/228799/spheres-squad-6

--Sphere's Squad 6--
35 Kunra, Shamed Lieutenant
28 Vua Rapuung
28 Yu’shaa
20 Yun-Shuno Priestess
24 Shamed Pilot x2
55 Shamed Warrior x5
7 Shamed Intendant
3 Shamed One

(200pts. 13 activations)

We played on his map - Oceanic Facility.

Again, 2 (completely this time) melee squads, and another map without a lot of lanes of engagement. We run at each other and basically have our battle in the vertical center hall. I think the big change here was Lady Olaris Rhea. Her CE allowing me to fall back without an AoO after a kill came in big. I positioned her in front with her massive defense (synergy + Sarasu's CE), also thinking if he tried to go past her in the 2-wide hall he'd take a twin, all but certainly killing his NUs. He didn't try and go past, he went straight at her, needing a 15 to hit, and but of course he crits her with a warrior. But I then killed the warrior and was able to fall back with Sarasu's CE. He reminded me that all the NU warriors and Pilots have blast bugs (I didn't use one the whole first game, totally forgot!) He nickel and dimed my pieces down, activating a few as well. I kept using pseudo mobile with Sarau's and Lady Olaris Rhea's CEs until he came in with Yu'shaa to shut it down with Distraction. There were a lot of misses for both of us here. But of course eventually he had to use the Decoy to save Yu'shaa, and then all my CEs were back on. We were down to Yu'shaa and Kunra vs Sarasu and Gavar Khai, in the last round. Epic! Kunra takes out Sarasu (which took him over 200 pts), and I finish off Kunra with Gavar Khai, which brought me over 200 (but with more points), and the round ends with Gavar Kai and Yu'shaa still on the board. Ugh! horrible as an "official" finish. There wasn't even a question, we wanted to see this played out (because playing minis is fun, why on Earth wouldn't we?) This took about a minute and a half to play out the 2 more rounds for the 2 juggernauts to battle it out. I got Yu'shaa down to 20hp, and he got Gavar down to 40. Matt won the final init but had the tough decision whether or not to go first with his piece with Double Opportunist +20, or hope for me to miss. He opted to let me go first (the statistically correct choice), but I made the kill leaving Gavar standing alone on the board. It was such an awesome finish. Again, much more satisfying for all involved.